Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 03/07/2013 09:05 AM CST
Compared to other capped hunting areas, including OTF which gets way more traffic, the loot in Nelemar is pretty terrible. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm killing, which floor, or what time of day, the loot is uslay pretty horrible in comparison to other capped areas.

Boxes usually don't have many coins in them, and I'll find peridots and low-mid range sapphires the majority of the time (when the boxes actually have gems). Now and then I'll get a few diamonds or pearls, but it's pretty rare overall.
I didn't really notice how bad it was until I went back to the Rift this week. Plane 4, 5, and Scatter all have much much better drop rates, and the boxes are usually way better. Got some enhancive chain on my first hunt too. Haven't found an enhancive in Nelemar in years.

I figured ok, the Rift probably just isn't hunted as much as Nelemar. Then I went to OTF, which to my knowledge is the most hunted capped area in the game overall. The loot wasn't quite as good as in the Rift, but it was noticeably better than what I was getting in Nelemar, and I made probably 3x as much silver off an average hunt there than I do in Nelemar.

This isn't something new to Nelemar. The loot there has been pretty terrible overall for quite some time, especially for an endgame area.

What gives?

~ Methais
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/09/2013 10:13 AM CDT
I think loot needs to be better for capped players overall. We should not be penalized for "hunting pressure" when we have only 3 options for hunting. The loot in the Rift isn't bad, but it's by no means the best out there (most of the lower level planes are wealthier than plane 4 and even the scatter!). I think it should be a bit better for the highest level area of the game. I was finding far better loot in the 30-70 range than I do now. The same goes for OTF and Nelemar.

I find the GS treasure system unrewarding enough as it is without having to ponder why I hit my peak for earning treasure at levels 55-65.

~Taverkin
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/09/2013 11:40 AM CDT
They should allow the Scatter loot to be permanently set at a higher base tier. It is the highest level, hardest area in the game.
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/09/2013 05:43 PM CDT
As a player who frequents the scatter, I support this decision! LoL

~Taverkin
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/13/2013 03:02 AM CDT
Yeah, any area that can't be "outgrown" (i.e. Scatter) should have its loot turned up to 11 and stay there.

Can you imagine something like WoW having its best loot coming from say, Scarlet Monastery (a 30s dungeon) while the level 90 dungeons are dropping junk? Or even a really old graphical MMO that's still around like Asheron's Call having more good loot coming out of level 40 stuff while the level 200 stuff (I have no idea what their cap is now, but it was 126 way back when I used to play) is dropping decent stuff, but still not as good as stuff 1/5 it's level?

Let OTF, Nelemar, and planes 1-5 stay how they are, but the Scatter really should be the richest area in the game and immune to hunting pressure. Everywhere else can be farmed very easily.

Unlike everywhere else, Scatter, from my experiences, is a place you can't exactly go hunt while simultaeously watching TV, eating dinner, and doing homework and expect to come out alive.

I'd be willing to bet that The Scatter is the only area in Shattered that isn't afk script hunted. Ever wonder why? The reason should be obvious, which is the same reason it should be exempt from treasure shifting.

~ Methais
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/13/2013 10:07 AM CDT
>Let OTF, Nelemar, and planes 1-5 stay how they are, but the Scatter really should be the richest area in the game and immune to hunting pressure. Everywhere else can be farmed very easily. Unlike everywhere else, Scatter, from my experiences, is a place you can't exactly go hunt while simultaeously watching TV, eating dinner, and doing homework and expect to come out alive. I'd be willing to bet that The Scatter is the only area in Shattered that isn't afk script hunted. Ever wonder why? The reason should be obvious, which is the same reason it should be exempt from treasure shifting. ~ Methais

Well said. Also, if you factor in increased foot traffic due to this increased treasure gen rate the area will be even harder. I've heard the place swarms like mad with only a few people in it. I honestly think script hunters wouldn't bother. They can match the output of wealth by sheer brute force in OTF by script hunting on easy mode for hours on end.
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/13/2013 10:12 AM CDT
Nah.

Leave it out in Nelemar.

Doug
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/13/2013 10:14 AM CDT
Why Nelemar? I've actually hunted there prior to capping and before I had all of E's toys. It isn't quite as easy as OTF, but is definitely not what i'd describe as an end-game level challenge.
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/13/2013 10:21 AM CDT
Several reasons -- but some of the biggest being it is a significant enough isolation, difficulty, swarming, rescue challenge area that all the benefits accrue.

But it won't create bad blood associated with frequent decay, etc. Keep the complaining down to a minimum.

Doug
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/13/2013 10:44 AM CDT
How the heck are rescues in Nelemar hard? You can 130 out.
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/13/2013 11:09 AM CDT
Yes, you can. One can rapidly exit the Rift, too. I didn't say 'hard'. I said challenge.

The point here is that Nelemar has all the same 'advantages', yet doesn't have quite as significant a decay downside which always leads to bad feelings.

Doug
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/13/2013 11:13 AM CDT
There is only 1 known way to rapidly exit the scatter, unless i'm mistaken. Voln fogging, which comes with its own unique penalties.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing for, Doug. The point was raised that The Scatter would make sense as an area that is free from hunting pressure. Are you arguing that Nelemar should be as well?
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/13/2013 11:24 AM CDT
I'm not arguing. I offered an opinion, you asked why, I answered.

There are other ways besides Voln fog to exit the Rift.

The point is that Nelemar has all these same 'advantages' (i.e. 'makes sense'), but doesn't have as significant a potential for decay. Nelemar should be targeted for this type of 'capped player benefit' if it is to be offered at all.

Doug
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/13/2013 11:35 AM CDT
Which area is harder? Hint: There is only 1 right answer.
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/13/2013 12:08 PM CDT
I'm not even sure what you're arguing for, Doug.

Because. Just because.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/13/2013 12:58 PM CDT
Oh? Are you basing this 'fact' of there only being one right answer from what you 'heard', as you indicated previously? Or was that not quite accurate?

I will, however, admit to being surprised that you, E, are actually advocating for more difficult and tedious solutions. Definitely not where I would normally place your response pattern.

From my explorations -- each area presents challenges that vary not just in area / creature, but in profession / skill / likes / dislikes / attitude. Consider the value of the Teras community, as one example. Consider the success of the empath versus the sorcerer as another. This holds true for all three under discussion, and includes war-camps (since we're talking capped character treasure).

In truth, I would feel better about the suggestion if it weren't pinned down to a single area as a topic of discussion -- given the vagaries mentioned. But as long as we're going to limit the selection to one in the recommendation, my point remains:

That point is Nelemar has the same 'advantages', yet doesn't carry quite the burden of decay, which can lead to hurt feelings.

Our opinions differ, just as do our experiences. I trust you can appreciate mine. Thank you for sharing yours.

Doug
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/13/2013 01:00 PM CDT
>>Because. Just because.

You need to catch up.

Doug
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/13/2013 01:03 PM CDT
I just wanted to make sure you were still willing to argue something as ridiculously ludicrous as the notion that Nelemar compares to The Scatter in terms of difficulty. It appears you are, so I won't bother attempting to discuss the matter with you any further.
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/13/2013 01:21 PM CDT
So, just baiting me, closed mind, no experience. Check.

Appreciate you clarifying that you're done discussing it. I won't spend a lot of time tingling with anticipation that you actually might address the point offered.

By the way, look left, please.

Doug
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/13/2013 03:26 PM CDT
I've hunted both Nelemar and the scatter a lot. For me the back of the second floor and the north side of the scatter have almost the same level of difficulty but the scatter is still the harder of the two. In Nelemar I can stand in swarms and be just fine as long as I don't have more then one sentry or greater water elemental to deal with. In the scatter unless I am hunting with a partner I tend to avoid the swarms, destroyers aren't much of a threat usually and if cerebralites didn't mass dispel they wouldn't be either, or if fetish masters didn't have their dolls or tangle weed, I dodge a lot of their spike thorn. Siphons are a worry because of their CS, they can't ward me 100% of the time with empath or sorcerer spells but a lucky cast could do me in or a hit from eblast, I could probably use some of the voln symbols to control them a bit more then I do though. The scatter also swarms more then Nelemar does. But that is comparing the easiest part of the scatter to the hardest part of Nelemar and the scatter wins. For most of us at cap and even before it the third floor of Nelemar tends to be a walk in the park aa strong eblast would do me innd the front part of the second floor is only difficult because of the drowning maneuver, it is still fairly easy though as that is where the lowest level creatures gen. The scatter also has the added bonus of being a self spelled area basically, Nelemar is only spell burst so while you are limited to what you can wear by training and profession you can still wear outside spells which is a huge advantage. And while decaying in the rift can suck I am not sure the last time someone decayed up there. There are quite a few of us around right now who can make scatter rescues, Kaedra, Kerl, Taverkin, Dgry, Telare, Allereli, Vindicate, Holymoon, and myself to name a few. So, I am sure that while someone can die at an odd hour and not get pulled out the same thing can happen in Nelemar, someone died in there earlier today with no one around to rescue them it seemed like by their chatting on lnet.
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/15/2013 10:40 AM CDT
For me it comes down to the CMANs in Nelemar. CMAN charge just destroys Tav whereas he easily avoids significant damage from most of the maneuvers that come at him in the scatter. I also use a +32 logic runestaff. It increases my experience gain significantly. I won't use it against creatures that disarm, so I lose that benefit if I hunt Nelemar.

Outside of combat, I like to cast spells for people. Teras Isle is a higher level population and I have to be careful of spellburst. In Icemule nearly everyone appreciates the spells, and there's no risk of getting anyone killed by spelling them up! Plus Tav's a halfling. Icemule is home!

I'm also a recent convert to the order of Voln. I believe the undead situation is far more favor-able in the Rift!

Regardless, I think all capped areas should have decent loot. It's silly to do this hunting pressure thing when we have so few options and no way to level out of it!

~Taverkin
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/24/2013 03:00 PM CDT
I'd be all for Nelemar being exempt from hunting pressure too. Maneuvers (and their stuns that last forever) and disarm suck pretty hard, and sentries will implode your face off. And the whole being secluded from the rest of the game part too, which is the only thing I've always hated about Teras. WTB faster boat schedule.

The more I think about it though, the more I think it should be more based on the creature's level at cap...like anything with a base level of 100+ should be exempt.

I think the Scatter is definitely more difficult than Nelemar, at least for me with my Immolate build. Most things in the Scatter cost a lot more mana for me to kill than they do in Nelemar, and I usually have to leave the room when destroyers show up.

The only thing in Nelemar that actually gives me problems are greater water elementals, and that's due to their ridiculously high TD. They require dispels a lot of the time too to even hit them with bolts, but for the most part I just skip them since they can't drop boxes or anything anyway unless Immolate insta-kills them.

So yeah I guess I'm sort of changing my stance to any critter with a base level of 100 or higher should be exempt from hunting pressure.

I'd love to hear why having level 100+ critters in a level 100 game having the best loot in the game would be a bad thing.

~ Methais
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/24/2013 10:24 PM CDT
I think that might be ok -- but OTF needs work at that point.

Doug
Re: Nelemar Loot -- Why Is It Always So Bad? 04/25/2013 10:58 AM CDT
OTF needs work anyway. I think the Ithzir should all be upgraded to 95-100+ range, for starters. The layout or at least the distribution of creatures and entrances and exits to facilitate some sort of sensible separation between capped hunting and low-mid 80s hunting would be nice, too. And maybe some new creatures to play with over level 100.

That'd be nice. But you know what would be really nice? More capped hunting grounds! It's really needed at this point. You can't expect your customers to stick around playing in the same 3 areas forever, can you?

~Taverkin