Love these! 07/29/2012 11:30 PM CDT
A firethorn shoot stabs at you with its stinger!
AS: +254 vs DS: +178 with AvD: +2 + d100 roll: +76 = +154
... and hits for 3 points of damage!
Tap to the arm pricks some interest but not much else.
As a firethorn shoot hits you, one of the thorns explodes in a ball of flame!
... 60 points of damage!
Flames engulf you. Chest left a smoldering ruin.
Your SIGN OF STRIKING is no longer effective.
Your SIGN OF SHIELDS is no longer effective.
Your SIGN OF DEFENDING is no longer effective.
A faint silvery glow fades from around you.
Your SIGN OF SMITING is no longer effective.
Your SIGN OF SWORDS is no longer effective.
Your SIGN OF WARDING is no longer effective.

Honestly I didnt even know firethorn shoots did this.. I'm glad that the designers had to include some cheap insta-kills in every hunting area on Teras.
Re: Love these! 07/30/2012 03:09 AM CDT
I've got news for you; all the high level hunting areas have cheap death mechanics built in. Got hit by one of those crystal weapons in OTF tonight; with like minimal actual damage (end roll of 104 if I recall), it flared and totally fried my brain. I haven't hunted the rift since before time began, but I seem to recall something about being imploded ... then there is stone fist in the Bowels, the ithzir crystal weapons, that silly triton charge maneuver in Nelemar is always fun, and let's not forget being picked up and dropped on your head by war griffins.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Love these! 07/30/2012 03:05 PM CDT
>Honestly I didnt even know firethorn shoots did this.. I'm glad that the designers had to include some cheap insta-kills in every hunting area on Teras.

Cheap insta-kills is where it's at on Teras. We shall see how a level 21 monk performs against these dastardly firethorn shoots later tonight when I take him uphunting a wee bit.

-Anonymous
Re: Love these! 07/30/2012 07:40 PM CDT
While I'm not the designer of said creature, that isn't an insta-death mechanic, that's just a death crit on the fire damage that was issued. Firethorn shoots were the first creature I ever hunted on Teras many years ago, and they use to scare the hell out of me. This was well before GS4 around the move to the web.

~Wyrom, ASGM
Host Manager
GameMaster Trainer
Honorary QC Lackey
Re: Love these! 07/30/2012 08:07 PM CDT
They are definitely one of those "KILL IT! KILL IT NOW!" types of creatures.

I think scarabs and anything that can cast Implosion are the only other things in the game that get the same kind of reaction out of me.

-Marstreforn-

A kobold points at you and yells, "Mine! Chasin!"

A kobold swings a short sword at itself!
Blow glances off the kobold's shoulder.
The kobold blushes furiously!
Re: Love these! 07/30/2012 09:47 PM CDT
Hunt the arctic manticores near Icemule without being a half-krovlin.
Re: Love these! 07/30/2012 10:10 PM CDT
They're so fun it will make your head explode! Sometimes literally.

As a helpful suggestion, ranger resistance would probably come in handy for the firethorns as well as for hunting on Teras in general. And crit padding on your armor, while a bit more difficult to obtain, would help as well.

-- Faulkil
Re: Love these! 07/31/2012 04:02 AM CDT
The arctic manticore cold crit got nerfed a couple of years ago. They aren't anywhere near as nasty as they used to be.
Re: Love these! 07/31/2012 05:52 AM CDT
Really? That's a shame, it made hunting there rather interesting and a bit frustrating at times.
Re: Love these! 08/03/2012 06:48 PM CDT
>I'm glad that the designers had to include some cheap insta-kills in every hunting area on Teras.

yeah, firethorn shoots don't even need that extra fire crit to be one of the most deadly critters for their level.

Beyond that, I'll just say...I'm glad you agree. The amazing ability of critters to kill you back on Teras is one of the things that always made it entertaining to me. From Pyro shards, to mage retribution, devil sandstorms, skayl hearts, siren poison, wasp nests, and unstable volcanic rock Teras hunting has rarely been dull until well past cap.

Sorry, I know you were being sarcastic, and I don't mean to poke fun at that, but really, without some challenge or random annoying luck, is the game really any fun at all? Admittedly, if it happens too much it gets old quickly.

On a far less sarcastic note, my compliments to the chefs who cooked up the critters on Teras, though I believe many of them have moved on to other indevours.

--Jurp