What is the point? 06/18/2011 01:55 AM CDT
So I'm new to hunting fire giants, ash hags, etc. But I quickly found out that the most dangerous part of hunting here is the stupid environmental major e-wave effect that occurs every few minutes. Is there some way of preventing or avoiding this random death effect? Most of the time I dodge it or simply receive RT, but I never know when I'm going to get randomly slammed for an instant death.

If I'm just supposed to deal with this, I'm afraid I don't get it. Why design an area where the environment just randomly and unavoidably kills you from time to time? What's the point? Is that supposed to be fun or exciting? It just seems like a waste of time to me. If I were expected to respond to cues in the environment in order to avoid this effect, then that would at least be something. But as far as I can tell, this just happens when you're in the area where these monsters spawn. Is there something I'm missing?

The unmistakable sound of steam rushing through vents in the volcanic terrain reverberates heavily in the air. Suddenly, a powerful jet of steam moves through the area.
You are buffeted by the roiling cloud of steam, and knocked to the ground.
You are pinned in place, unable to move.
Roundtime: 18 sec.
... 65 points of damage!
Superheated steam turns your intestines into a fine delicacy!
Re: What is the point? 06/18/2011 06:47 AM CDT
>>If I'm just supposed to deal with this, I'm afraid I don't get it. Why design an area where the environment just randomly and unavoidably kills you from time to time? What's the point? Is that supposed to be fun or exciting? It just seems like a waste of time to me. If I were expected to respond to cues in the environment in order to avoid this effect, then that would at least be something. But as far as I can tell, this just happens when you're in the area where these monsters spawn. Is there something I'm missing?

It is true that this can be annoying. Why was it designed this way? First of all you are hunting around an active volcano which releases steam from time to time. Later you will find an area that if you aren't careful you can fall through the thin crust of the ground into lava.

Anyway...tips..

When I was hunting that area. Stay light....find a ranger to cast 602 on you. Wear blurs and mobiles.... Stay light...Don't get greedy with loot.. I always ended up dying when I thought I would keep hunting that area after I was fried mentally. I seemed to take a lot more damage from the steam when I was weighed down.

Peace
Zhelas

(Lord Paladin walks around Droit examining his equipment.)
Lord Paladin: How does he....How does he work?
Re: What is the point? 06/18/2011 10:49 AM CDT
It's often overlooked, but rangers can add temporary steam resistance via spell 620 (Resist Nature), if you're wearing brigandine style armor or lighter.

___
GemStone IV will be up shortly!
Sorry guys, my bad :(
Re: What is the point? 06/18/2011 03:38 PM CDT
There are other places where random stuff happens; I still occasionally fall off the pile on the way to the stronghold, for example. It's annoying but there appears to be no effort to remove those effects.