Constructs 01/19/2011 07:37 AM CST
My cleric has been hunting in OTF recently. The constructs generally present no problems, except that it takes forever to wear down thier silly shielding. I have been using 302 for this purpose. Would a higher level spell (312, 317) bring this down sooner?

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Constructs 01/19/2011 07:41 AM CST
I could have sworn the construct barriers have a certain amount of mana in them. Once you cast a specific amount of mana (someone will have to elaborate on the exact amount) at it, it dissipates.

This was easily avoided with the bug that was around for ages. You could prep your 99th level spell (i.e. prep 799 for me) and cast it at the construct and it would break the barrier in 2 shots (it may not even have used your mana, hence the bug).

So yes, the higher the level of spell = the more mana expended towards the barrier = faster removal.
Re: Constructs 01/19/2011 07:45 AM CST
I am 99% certain that the more mana the spell costs that you throw at them, the faster you will deplete their magical aura. Wands imbedded with high level attack spells will prove useful in this regard. Throgg, aren't you a swinger? You can deplete their aura much faster by beating on a construct. After a few solid hits it will go down and you can finish it with spells.

I would suggest casting an area web after they jump to offensive to swing. Don't cast it AT them, just in the room to knock bind them. Their DS can drop to as low as 250ish if they don't happen to grab a shield. E-wave is far faster and more reliable once they stance up, so imbeds for that purpose would work well too.
Re: Constructs 01/19/2011 07:47 AM CST
The question is do you need to use OFFENSIVE spells to knock down their aura. It may be expensive, but casting say..350 at them a few times might do the trick as well. It would make IC sense as well, due to the fact their aura has to block all magic.
Re: Constructs 01/19/2011 07:48 AM CST
>>Throgg, aren't you a swinger? You can deplete their aura much faster by beating on a construct. After a few solid hits it will go down and you can finish it with spells.<<

Yes, my cleric can use 2 handers (and brawling weapons/shield), but hunting there I have been recently using 102 as well, which rather drops my AS. Been hunting with a rogue friend, and yes, weapons drop their shield faster.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Constructs 01/19/2011 07:55 AM CST
Maybe buy some of those 40 charge blue crystals from playershops? They're pretty cheap, and would likely be faster than throwing all your mana at a few constructs at a time.
Re: Constructs 01/24/2011 09:03 AM CST
Durring my stint in OTF with my cleric, I tried taking on constructs on a couple of different occasions. I generally tried to knock their shielding off with 125. After I realized this generally cost me around 300 mana to do, I gave up on the idea of hunting constructs alone as a pure.

FWIW YMMV

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power" - William Shakespeare