spell burst????????? 02/15/2017 04:54 PM CST
Why does otf have spellburst? It's one of the only good hunting grounds for an 80-95 IMO. Only one in Elven Nations I believe. As a warrior going there almost spelless seems silly. I am sure this has been discussed millions of times, but seriously why?
Re: spell burst????????? 02/15/2017 06:12 PM CST
It has spell burst to make things more challenging and keep you from relying on too many outside spells. I think every near-cap to cap hunting ground either dispels you, dispels your non-native spells, or has spellburst.

The EN has spellburst starting at Wyneb and the Griffin's Keen. Maaghara is the only upper-level hunting area in Illy that doesn't spellburst.
Re: spell burst????????? 02/15/2017 07:56 PM CST

Well this is my first high level character so maybe that is true. i didn't think the sea of fire or nelemar or the confluence had spellburst but I am too young for those still?
Re: spell burst????????? 02/15/2017 08:13 PM CST
Nelemar has spellburst. Confluence strips you of spells. Rift strips you of spells. Sanctum of Scales has neither, though you will enjoy some crazy massive swarms here, especially if another person or two is in the area.

Speaking in Faendryl, Jahosk says, "You will now be known as Blade Durakar, the Palestra."
Re: spell burst????????? 02/15/2017 08:18 PM CST
well then I hate the people in charge. lol
Re: spell burst????????? 02/15/2017 08:20 PM CST

I thought SoS did have spellburst?

Re: spell burst????????? 02/16/2017 06:39 AM CST
The Sanctum has spellburst.

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!

Re: spell burst????????? 02/16/2017 08:27 AM CST
Ah, ok. I didn't recall that it did and it wasn't listed as having it on either the Sanctum page nor on the Spellburst page of the wiki. Guess I should head over and fix that up now.

Speaking in Faendryl, Jahosk says, "You will now be known as Blade Durakar, the Palestra."
Re: spell burst????????? 02/16/2017 11:04 AM CST
For a warrior in spellburst, I'd prioritize wearing stuff like 101, 107, 401, 406, and 414 to get your TD up.

Wearing those five in particular will take a combined total of 41 ranks in scrolls, magic items, or harness power at level 80, or 37 at level 90. Assuming you're converting points, 2 ranks of CM at 2x is enough MTPs for 3 ranks each of scrolls and magic item use. If you do that for two levels and can dig up the points for 1 more rank of MIU/AS/Harness Power, you should be able to wear 406 and 107, which will make a difference with your TD.

If you train enough scroll use, you can also use some "cheating" scrolls/magic items, like 310 on the defensive side or 307/1605 on the offensive side - group spells don't trigger spellburst, regardless of who cast them.

My warrior had 28 ranks each of MIU and AS when he started hunting OTF, and 40 of each by cap, but having some (potentialy-squandered) magical talent is part of his character.
Re: spell burst????????? 02/16/2017 11:12 AM CST
I know I'm in the minority here, but I like Rift's spell stripping effect as I no longer have to rely on external buffs. It feels a bit liberating to no longer beg or wait around for masses, wizard spells, etc.

~Land Pirate Maylan~
Re: spell burst????????? 02/16/2017 12:01 PM CST
>I know I'm in the minority here, but I like Rift's spell stripping effect as I no longer have to rely on external buffs. It feels a bit liberating to no longer beg or wait around for masses, wizard spells, etc.

Ironically, my warrior hunted unspelled until OTF, and relied on feint and other stuff to keep casters from getting him.

But after the 5th death from walking into an area web (which are CS-based behind the scenes) I got annoyed and started putting those spellburst ranks to use. I could have carried gold wands instead, I suppose, but that means I'd have to be paying 100% attention on every single room movement. Which is a lot more work than just getting spells.
Re: spell burst????????? 02/16/2017 01:26 PM CST
My rogue recently started hunting Griffins and that was my first experience with spell burst mechanics. So now I hunt with a lot less spells (and it took me a few tries to get that right) and it requires me to hunt a little differently but I don't see it as a bad thing. It's just one of the challenges of the area that I needed to adapt and adjust to in order to hunt there.

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: spell burst????????? 05/26/2017 10:41 PM CDT
I have a bit of a different take on spell burst, having played in OTF with both my rogue square and my capped casting empath, and Nelemar with my cleric. I think spell burst needs some serious revising. As it is, it penalizes the folks who need spell aid the most. My empath and cleric, having a ridiculous number of magical skill ranks, can wear pretty much any and all outside spells in OTF and Nelemar.

I suspect the concept of spell burst originated due to the concept that rogues and warriors didn't need spells because they had heavy armors and combat maneuvers instead. This is SO wrong. I mean, it works fairly well when there are only 1-2 creatures in the room, but the capped areas I have been to all have swarm tendencies. My empath and cleric have crowd control spells, my rogue basically just has to run from more than 2 creatures in the room. If they get a cast off, it's often fatal, despite the CvA of her hauberk armor. CvA benefit pales compared to the ability to wear a ton of warding spells.

So, as far as I can see, spell burst means that the characters that need outside spell aid the most can't get it.

Re: spell burst????????? 05/27/2017 06:41 AM CDT
>So, as far as I can see, spell burst means that the characters that need outside spell aid the most can't get it.

You should have enough MIU/AS/harness ranks to wear all of 101,107,401,406,414. If you haven't, get them. If that's not enough TD, then 1601 and 508 are relatively easy to add.

Spell burst is to force squares to train magic if they want to use it. You want to use it, so train it.

OTF has never appealed to me (no undead = not interested) so I don't know what sort of TD is critical there, but the full MnE/MnS set was plenty for both Plane 4 and Nelemar and really doesn't take much in the way of training to wear. I had enough for all that plus colors and unpresence for added sneakiness before cap.
Re: spell burst????????? 05/28/2017 12:08 AM CDT
OK, my spell burst information may well be out of date. What is the approximate relationship between spell ranks you can wear and magical skills?

For reference, my rogue has the following:

16 ranks MIU
16 ranks AS
17 ranks Harness Power
Spells 401-411
Spell 101

How many ranks of outside spells can she wear? Note that I also like to get strength and Ranger colors and mobility.
Re: spell burst????????? 05/28/2017 12:27 AM CDT
I was pointed to the ;burst_calc script that will eval your current spells, what it thinks you can wear, and tells you how far over/under you are.

If it were not for this, I would be completely lost, still, about what I could use.

I have learned I can wear 2 spirit wardings, dim aura, powerful look, colours, strength, thurfel's, resist elements, and blur.

Small statues appear to be "free"

But the things I read about it were just so much gibberish. :(

This is as a bard ... and I can't imagine trying to hunt the Olde City without spells because the creatures cast terrible magicks!

I am right there with your other posting about spellburst penalizing the people who need it the most in those areas.

~Luxie

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Re: spell burst????????? 05/28/2017 07:49 AM CDT
>How many ranks of outside spells can she wear? Note that I also like to get strength and Ranger colors and mobility.

Depends on level but low 20s. I'd be confident that 21 wouldn't burst and you might get away with 22 at cap, and add a point to that if you were level 95.

Mobiles will make you burst but you'd manage 107,414,601,509 and maybe a look or dim too. If you wanted more TD, swap out 509 for 508+1601.

See https://gswiki.play.net/Spell_burst for the wiki page with the formula.
Re: spell burst????????? 05/28/2017 10:22 PM CDT
I notice that actually knowing spells isn't counted as a magical skill, which I find a bit odd. So, knowing all those spells doesn't help at all, except for the fact that I can wear 101, 401 and 406 for free since they will be self cast. I hope to eventually learn 414, which will help a lot, but that won't be till at cap.

Also, I notice that statue spells are "free"; how about pure potions?
Re: spell burst????????? 05/28/2017 10:50 PM CDT
Any spells in the arcane circle (small statues, dull gold coins, etc.) are considered free. Any spells you have knowledge of from training are free. Everything else counts towards spell burst.

Pure potions would count towards your burst limit.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: spell burst????????? 06/28/2017 10:03 PM CDT

here is what I have for those skills and what I can get away with wearing

MIU: 32
AS: 33
HP: 46
Transformation lores: 36 (not sure if those count)

With those and 20 lvls of MM, and 20 of MS spells learned I could wear the following outside spells in otf:

401, 406, 414, blurs, thurfels, strength, and colors without bursting.

I now have 35 spell ranks in MM and 60 telepathy lores since, but I still cannot wear anything more without bursting, so I don't think lores count. Far from an expert on this subject, but that's what I had and could wear at 100. Once I max out a few skills more I'll learn more so I can wear more, but that's a ways down the line.
Re: spell burst????????? 06/28/2017 11:47 PM CDT
I think small statues are ... free in the bursting areas.
---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Re: spell burst????????? 06/29/2017 01:30 AM CDT
Spell ranks don't count towards your burst limit and lores count half as much as hp, arcane symbols, and miu.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: spell burst????????? 06/29/2017 07:24 AM CDT
>I now have 35 spell ranks in MM and 60 telepathy lores since, but I still cannot wear anything more without bursting, so I don't think lores count. Far from an expert on this subject, but that's what I had and could wear at 100. Once I max out a few skills more I'll learn more so I can wear more, but that's a ways down the line.

You are at the half of level in wearable mana cut off point, its quite a big jump in training to push the limit up from that, though on the basis of the wiki spellburst discussion, I would have expected those 60 extra lores to get you there. (but if you meant you now have 60 lores total rather than 96, maybe not quite there yet)
Re: spell burst????????? 07/05/2017 02:51 AM CDT

Thanks for the info. like I said I am no expert on spell burst, far from it. yeah I've 96 lore ranks, 60 telepathy, 36 transformation, but if I add so much as 202 extra I burst.
Re: spell burst????????? 07/05/2017 01:37 PM CDT
Lores are the worst thing for protecting against spellburst. Pile on some MIU or AS and it'll go away quick.