Old Ta'Faendryl Rage 02/06/2013 09:54 AM CST
I have never seen this before for whatever reason, but I thought it was awesome.

Streaks of blanched fire lance the air, their white tendrils arcing. Carried on the flames is a wave of anger and withering hostility, which touches everything, even what the blaze does not.

-

Bone-jarring tremors herald the appearance of a greater construct!
Bone-jarring tremors herald the appearance of a greater construct!
>
An Ithzir janissary strides out of thin air!
An Ithzir janissary strides out of thin air!
>
An Ithzir adept suddenly appears out of nowhere!
An Ithzir adept suddenly appears out of nowhere!
>
A faint song draws attention to an odd silhouette that fades into an Ithzir herald!
A faint song draws attention to an odd silhouette that fades into an Ithzir herald!

-

The sense of anger in the air, previously hanging like a vitriolic cloud, laced with blanched fire, fades and then disappears.

Creatures spawned like that in very close to every single room in the main area of OTF, and I was the only one inside during this whole event. Between the first message and the last message, about ten minutes passed with the first message repeating at least once in the middle of my fight with the swarm (which quickly replenished no matter how fast you took them out). I think in that ten minutes, I killed at least a hundred creatures. I was Furying like an crazy just to manage the swarms; fortunately I had Haste rods made too, so I had to keep that going through it all (if only to manage RT from the griffins).

I about crapped my pants when it first started. I'd scrolled up to read the first message after killing the one creature previously in the room. When I scrolled back down, the initial eight had shown up and creatures were pouring from the surrounding rooms into mine.

Anyway, that was one hell of a little adventure. Just thought I'd share.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: Old Ta'Faendryl Rage 02/06/2013 10:17 AM CST
I think that was a monk provoking? I had to retreat all the way back to the portal, it was incredible. I made a stand there for a bit but I just couldn't kill them quick enough to stay afloat.

I guess if you ever need that invasion experience, round up some friends, a monk, and head to OTF!
Re: Old Ta'Faendryl Rage 02/06/2013 10:19 AM CST
That was the minor mental spell provoke, I've only seen someone test it in a low level hunting area myself though.
Re: Old Ta'Faendryl Rage 02/06/2013 10:35 AM CST
>I think that was a monk provoking? I had to retreat all the way back to the portal, it was incredible. I made a stand there for a bit but I just couldn't kill them quick enough to stay afloat. -ShaftJ

>That was the minor mental spell provoke, I've only seen someone test it in a low level hunting area myself though. -Trouble13

Wow, okay. That's a crazy spell. Does the monk have to stay present for the spell to keep effecting the area? I didn't see another soul the whole time (I'm assuming whoever it was ran, unless he/she was able to cast it from one of the nodes there)?

~Brian, Sepher's player, (unintentional?) assassination attempt survivor!
Re: Old Ta'Faendryl Rage 02/07/2013 11:19 PM CST
you said you were the only one in the area, but there had to be someone casting Provoke or whatever it is.

are you sure it wasn't Provoke AND Sabreon's group in there?

~Moredin
Re: Old Ta'Faendryl Rage 02/08/2013 07:36 AM CST
>you said you were the only one in the area, but there had to be someone casting Provoke or whatever it is.

That's why I asked if the spell will run its course if the monk leaves or casts it from a node in the same area. It did last more than the 100 second duration listed on the website, so they must've been there somewhere. I never saw anyone, or any evidence of anyone, but clearly at least the monk was there.

>are you sure it wasn't Provoke AND Sabreon's group in there?

He was logged on at the time and did show up a couple minutes after it was over, so it's possible I didn't see him. I was pretty much all over the place. Maybe he converted one of his and wanted to test it out. If it was him, that was the only time he's cast it when I've been there.

Anyway, curiosity aside, finding out's not that important. It was fun little experience. I'm going to have to figure out who it was and maybe put a group together, get some people killed.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: Old Ta'Faendryl Rage 02/08/2013 08:10 AM CST

>Maybe he converted one of his

He posted the training in the monk folder. Sabreon's group can run provoke continuously in there if he wants to. Its possible some of the other capped converts can too, but I'd be pretty sure that what you saw was his provoke.

>That's why I asked if the spell will run its course if the monk leaves or casts it from a node in the same area.

You probably should ask him to find out. I suspect he's the one that has most thoroughly tested out what provoke does.
Re: Old Ta'Faendryl Rage 02/08/2013 09:03 PM CST
I kinda like it when his group is in there. one thing I miss about warcamps is frying in under 1.5 minutes. if he provokes even better

~Moredin
Re: Old Ta'Faendryl Rage 02/09/2013 09:00 PM CST
>one thing I miss about warcamps is frying in under 1.5 minutes. if he provokes even better

which is all well and good as long as it's used with some wisdom and respect for those around. We've, on occasion, a rather irritating MAer in Nelemar, who brings a far larger contingent into the area that Sabreon ever thought to.

The fact that PENNINGTONB1's PC didn't bump into anyone else during the onslaught means that whomever it was, at least attempted to do their testing when the area was believed to be empty (or all but.) Had they done that during peak times, the death tolls could have been significant. Admittedly, it's been a while since I frequented OTF, but I've never seen Sabreon act recklessly, or leave a body on the field.

I only wish I could say the same for all others that MA on a large scale.

--Jurp
Re: Old Ta'Faendryl Rage 02/11/2013 01:54 PM CST
I was in there as well and had to retreat to the North Woods. Been hunting OTF for a few years and have NEVER seen anything like that before.