OTF 01/01/2013 12:30 AM CST
My highest level character just hit 78 and is in Ta Illistim--which, it occurs to me, means that he is likely to start getting bounties in OTF soon (he hunts Maaghara Tower right now). So, in light of that, I have two questions:

1. What do I need to know about hunting OTF, having never been there before? Any advice is appreciated.

2. Of the four higher-level hunting grounds (the Rift, OTF, the Bowels, and Teras), which is the best for an ambushing rogue?

Happy to take any input. Thanks.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: OTF 01/01/2013 01:55 PM CST
I am a bit biased; I hate the rift on general principles, so I will not comment on that area.

I would not try Nelemar at level 78. I have only hunted there with spell casters, but I know that undead tend to be perceptive and hard to hide against, and several of the triton types are undead. Also, ambush push down of critter DS depends to a certain degree on level vs level, and the critters in Nelemar go up to level 105 or so.

Since you are in Illistim, OTF might be possible, if you stick with the Aqueduct area. The Ithzir themselves are all 90+ except for the scouts, and griffins are 100. Gremloks are annoying with their garrotte attacks. Note that if you get killed, the critters will steal your items.

Clearly the "safest" place to hunt is the bowels; critters there range from 80-88. I put "safest" in parenthesis since it is regarded as one of he deadliest areas to hunt for its level. Still, given the level comparisons, it's probably your best bet. Also, since you are near the Landing, which has probably the largest town population, you are probably more likely to get rescued there. In addition, the critters do not loot your body, nor is it a spell burst area so you can spell tank all you wish.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: OTF 01/02/2013 02:16 AM CST
Thanks for the reply, Throgg.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: OTF 01/09/2013 02:43 PM CST
If you go to OTF there are spell restrictions based on magic ranks. The ducts are the safest area with the gremlocks (garroting rogues), beings and taints. Beings and taints are magic users and can disease, dark catalyst too I think. Best to cut their heads off fast :)

You will want to set a ring from the portal to just inside the entrance to the ducts if you hunt the north ducts. The area is usually safe, the only way you usually see Ithzir there is if they are stalking someone running through OTF to get to the ducts. If a scout ambushes you in OTF but then fades out it is still magically linked to you and if you are in the safe area of the ducts (observatory) they can still ambush out of their other place of existance to get you.

The most dangerous part at your level is the run to the ducts. Griffin screeches, ambushing scouts, disarming jans and evil seers. If there are a few big groups hunting it can swarm VERY BADLY. I have trouble post cap if there are too many hunters in the area.

If you get lich bounties, liches are in the west woods with gremlocks and it is pretty safe there, liches are undead and only come out at night.

Also if you get lesser construct tasks they are in the east ducts and through some secret passage in the north ducts.

Velvette...bowcrazy