Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: OTF hunting tips? 09/22/2012 08:45 PM CDT
<<Does the very first room of OTF proper have enemies? For instance, if I "go portal" can I walk into a big old mess and get insta-killed? And if so, can I PEER portal to prevent such? If enemies can spawn there, what types?>>

There is a zone between the portal and the barrier that you can see on the map - sometimes, ithzir scouts will be in there, that's rare, but don't go in there unprepared. Then, when you get to the portal, the first room in there can have any of the OTF proper critters (and in any number) but you can PEER through there to check before you go. Once you get through the portal, you can ring to the observatory and be mostly safe. If you get navved, you will have to run through OTF to get out.

You can get killed instantly at any moent running through there until you're ready to hunt there - so if you're not ready, it's a good time to put 102 and 140 up.
Re: OTF hunting tips? 09/22/2012 08:48 PM CDT
>There is a zone between the portal and the barrier that you can see on the map - sometimes, ithzir scouts will be in there, that's rare, but don't go in there unprepared. Then, when you get to the portal, the first room in there can have any of the OTF proper critters (and in any number) but you can PEER through there to check before you go. Once you get through the portal, you can ring to the observatory and be mostly safe. If you get navved, you will have to run through OTF to get out.

>You can get killed instantly at any moent running through there until you're ready to hunt there - so if you're not ready, it's a good time to put 102 and 140 up.

Thanks, thats really good information.
Re: OTF hunting tips? 09/23/2012 08:53 AM CDT
>Irvinetomoe

Drat. I tried as obtusely as possible to answer your questions. Sometimes hunting a new area with a bit of mystery is fun. Discovery and all that... Alas, it was all shattered by actual answers.

- Anonymous
Re: OTF hunting tips? 09/23/2012 12:23 PM CDT
>Drat. I tried as obtusely as possible to answer your questions. Sometimes hunting a new area with a bit of mystery is fun. Discovery and all that... Alas, it was all shattered by actual answers.

Ehh, not my style. Mystery = Danger = Death and dismemberment. Some people are into that sort of thing, and I can respect that. But I politely decline, and do my research first. =p

So, from the sounds of it, all of the ducts enemies barring constructs should be susceptible to 706, though beings may shake stuns (which may furthermore be dependent upon the being)? Gremlocks don't though, right? Hmm, sounds alright then.
Re: OTF hunting tips? 09/23/2012 06:36 PM CDT
Don't worry, no matter how well anybody describes the dangers, you'll still get dismembered horribly!
Re: OTF hunting tips? 09/23/2012 08:17 PM CDT
>Don't worry, no matter how well anybody describes the dangers, you'll still get dismembered horribly!

without a doubt.
Re: OTF hunting tips? 09/24/2012 08:16 PM CDT
So I said I would report on my first OTF hunt. I've actually had four, two with groups and two alone.

With 2x hiding/stalking, level 5 shadow mastery, and extensive use of PEER, I was able to stalk around
fairly well, avoid large groups, and kill off things 1-2 at a time. Ambush generally works well. I
haven't encountered every type of critter yet though.

A couple of close calls have made it clear that it would be suicide to try and kill more than a couple
of the older critters at once.

So far I've only encountered one major issue besides avoiding swarms - those blasted griffins. The
screeches are a major pain, and it usually takes several attempts to hide from griffins (and of course,
the next round the griffin will instantly see me). I've also had two flying lessons and am lucky
neither one was fatal.

Any thoughts as to how one might reduce the rt from griffin screeches, or as to how a lone hunter might
handle a griffin (besides run, which is my current approach) would be welcome.

Thanks
Maynist
Re: OTF hunting tips? 09/24/2012 10:03 PM CDT
Haste and probably (don't know personally) Song of Tonis are the only ways to reduce griffin screech RT as far as I know. I suspect level does play a part though, so if you're 100 yet it'll get ever so slightly better, maybe.

As far as killing them, I am unable to hide from them reliably, so once they swing I usually throw 2 cman qstrikes at them to soften them up and then ambush the head from the open. I find that multiple griffins have too much of a chance to stack huge RT on me, so I tend to not fight them if they've got numbers on me. They're scary at first, but I find that being aggressive is the way to go. Their standard attacks don't hurt too bad, so killing them before they can screech, swat me, or carry me off to eat me alive is my technique.
Re: OTF hunting tips? 09/25/2012 11:00 AM CDT
>Any thoughts as to how one might reduce the rt from griffin screeches, or as to how a lone hunter might
handle a griffin (besides run, which is my current approach) would be welcome.

Have you ever considered climbing to the top of the statue in OTF and jumping on the back of a griffin while trying to ride and/or impale it?

Or...

There are ways to bolster one's self.

Or...

Nah, I've given away WAY too much already. After you've tinkered some more, post again and I'll throw out some other and less helpful ideas.
- Anonymous
Re: OTF hunting tips? 09/25/2012 01:40 PM CDT
Archers ambushing from hiding can kill them with a shot to the eye 80% of the time if well trained. If I get some shots tonight from my partner (ambushing rogue archer) I'll post em. My cleric and empath just web them; that plops them right out of the sky. I imagine a ranger could do th same if well trained in MnS spell circle.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: OTF hunting tips? 09/25/2012 02:02 PM CDT
I'm a rogue who barely knows what a bow is, let alone how to use one. Now a one-edged weapon, now we can talk...

As I am capped, I believe the rt I am getting from the griffins is a bit lower than average. The screech does not
force you out of hiding, so I also gain a few seconds that way.

But so far, I have been too much of a chicken to fight the griffins alone. It also seems like the griffin screech
wakes up every Seer, Adept, and Herald nearby and sends them to my location.

Yeah I may be a coward, but so far, I haven't lost any deeds either.

Maynist
Re: OTF hunting tips? 09/25/2012 02:09 PM CDT
Tge griffins are initially out of range of hand held weapons. Once they actually attack physically they are in range of hand held weapons. Again, aim for the eye if you are skilled enough.

Or, just run like hell.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: OTF hunting tips? 09/25/2012 03:34 PM CDT
Griffin going down with THW; drop the various ithzir first.

>>A cobblestone road swings in a wide arc northeast and west. Many of the stones are missing, but for the most part the road is still level and easily traveled. A huge mound of mud rises just to the southwest and extends to the west as far as the eye can see. The area is eerily quiet, as if no life of any kind resides here. A few dead trees, now petrified, rise into the sky in bleak silhouette, but the earth has a scorched look to it, and the usual underbrush seems to have retreated. You also see a war griffin that is flying around and a shimmering portal.
Obvious paths: northeast, west
>
A war griffin swoops down from high overhead!
A war griffin tries to bite you!
You barely manage to fend off the attack with your maul!
>
An Ithzir janissary strides in, surveying the surroundings alertly.
> stop 506
> incant 506
Stop what?
>
You recite a series of mystical phrases while raising your hands, invoking Haste...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
You begin to notice the world slow down around you. Strange.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
> look
[Ta'Faendryl Approach]
A cobblestone road swings in a wide arc northeast and west. Many of the stones are missing, but for the most part the road is still level and easily traveled. A huge mound of mud rises just to the southwest and extends to the west as far as the eye can see. The area is eerily quiet, as if no life of any kind resides here. A few dead trees, now petrified, rise into the sky in bleak silhouette, but the earth has a scorched look to it, and the usual underbrush seems to have retreated. You also see an Ithzir janissary, a war griffin that is flying around and a shimmering portal.
> incant 410
You trace a simple rune while intoning the mystical phrase for Elemental Wave...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a war griffin.
A wave of dark ethereal ripples moves outward from you.
An Ithzir janissary is buffeted by the dark ethereal waves and is knocked to the ground.
>
A war griffin tries to bite you!
AS: +435 vs DS: +515 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +90 = +42
A clean miss.
> targ jan
You are now targeting an Ithzir janissary.
> incant 415
You trace a simple rune while intoning the mystical phrase for Elemental Strike...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at an Ithzir janissary.
CS: +492 - TD: +373 + CvA: -2 + d100: +92 == +209
Warding failed!
You blast an Ithzir janissary for 71 points of damage.
... 70 points of damage!
Blow to back removes the spinal column!
The Ithzir janissary vainly struggles to rise, then goes still.
> loot
You search the Ithzir janissary.
She had a spiral-hafted handaxe, a polished steel shield.
You discard the janissary's remaining useless equipment.
She didn't carry any silver.
She also left a tiny golden seed behind.
She had nothing else of value.
An Ithzir janissary's body shimmers slightly, then fades from view like a dissipating phantom.
> incant 415
You trace a simple rune while intoning the mystical phrase for Elemental Strike...
Your spell is ready.
CS: +492 - TD: +453 + CvA: +25 + d100: +30 == +94
Warded off!
>
A war griffin swoops down over you, buffeting you with its wings!
You duck to the side and the griffin barely misses with a powerful swat!
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Roundtime changed to 1 second.<<

Ok he attacked physically; now in weapon range ...

>>R> target griffin
> stance offen
You are now targeting a war griffin.
>
You are now in an offensive stance.
>
> incant 510
> stance defen
You intone a phrase of elemental power while raising your hands, invoking Hurl Boulder...
Your spell is ready.
You hurl a large boulder at a war griffin!
AS: +397 vs DS: +314 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +93 = +210
... and hit for 64 points of damage!
Good blow to left hand!
>
Cast Round Time in effect: Setting stance to guarded.
>
A war griffin rakes at you with a razor-sharp claw!
AS: +445 vs DS: +515 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +21 = -14
A clean miss.
AS: +445 vs DS: +515 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +80 = +45
A clean miss.
> stop 506
> incant 506
With a moment's concentration, you terminate the Haste spell.
You notice that things have returned to their normal speed.
>
You recite a series of mystical phrases while raising your hands, invoking Haste...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
You begin to notice the world slow down around you. Strange.
>
AS: +445 vs DS: +515 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +17 = -18
A clean miss.
AS: +445 vs DS: +515 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +55 = +20
A clean miss.
> look
[Ta'Faendryl Approach]
A cobblestone road swings in a wide arc northeast and west. Many of the stones are missing, but for the most part the road is still level and easily traveled. A huge mound of mud rises just to the southwest and extends to the west as far as the eye can see. The area is eerily quiet, as if no life of any kind resides here. A few dead trees, now petrified, rise into the sky in bleak silhouette, but the earth has a scorched look to it, and the usual underbrush seems to have retreated. You also see a tiny golden seed, a polished steel shield, a spiral-hafted handaxe, a war griffin that is flying around and a shimmering portal.
> stance offen
> cman feint
>
[Roll result: 118 (open d100: 43) Penalties: 0]
You feint low, the war griffin buys the ruse and moves to block the blow that never came!
Roundtime: 3 sec.
Roundtime changed to 1 second.
R> attack
You swing a perfect vultite maul at a war griffin!
AS: +399 vs DS: +323 with AvD: +41 + d100 roll: +5 = +122
... and hit for 15 points of damage!
Blow to the head causes the war griffin's ears to ring!
Roundtime: 5 sec.
R> attack
AS: +399 vs DS: +311 with AvD: +41 + d100 roll: +92 = +221
... and hit for 84 points of damage!
Left leg ripped from socket at the knee!
The war griffin screeches loudly in agony!
R> attack
AS: +399 vs DS: +195 with AvD: +41 + d100 roll: +45 = +290
... and hit for 126 points of damage!
Brain driven into neck by mammoth downswing!
The war griffin crashes to the ground, motionless.
Roundtime changed to 1 second.<<

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: OTF hunting tips? 09/25/2012 03:45 PM CDT
Oh bah, forgot the question about fighting griffins was from a OHE ambushing rogue. OK, how about this; once it attacks, try feinting it. They are vulnerable to that maneuver. Throw the begger into RT and you should have enough time to hide, and then poke out it's eye with your dagger or axe or whatever while it is still in offensive.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: OTF hunting tips? 09/25/2012 06:22 PM CDT
At the risk of giving too much away, anything that helps stave off sheer fear will help against Griffin screeches...

of course if you aren't in Voln or have enough magic ranks to wear major spirit and ranger spells around, that might not help so much.

(3 minute real time delay)

Since it's in official docs and previous posts from NsIR so it can't be said that I'm giving away some puzzle...

Symbol of courage, Bravery, Strength of Will, Herosim, Self Control, etc all help

--Jurp
Re: OTF hunting tips? 09/29/2012 08:46 PM CDT
After several OTF hunts, I find I no longer need to stalk around unless I am trying to escape from something.
Generally, I worry about three things when I hunt alone:

1. The lucky flare from a crystal-edged weapon
2. Swarms
3. Griffins

As a rule, I don't fight more than two enemies at once (three if they are all weak).

I will fight griffins if I am with at least one other person. Griffins seem to be mostly offense and not as strong
defensively as I would have thought.

So far no deaths, although there have been three close calls. Two from crystal-edge weapon flares, and the third was
from a flying lesson from a griffin.

But I am waiting for the flare that kills me instantly. The crystal-edged broadsword I use has done that to a couple
seers already.

Maynist
Re: OTF hunting tips? 09/29/2012 10:56 PM CDT
Well so much for being death free in OTF.

I ran into a web that covered the boundries of the room and got stuck in it. And then, two griffins and two scouts showed up - you can guess the outcome. What I don't know is where the web came from.

As I had picked up a couple items I didn't want to lose, I departed immediately and am now in the cottage. Looks like to be quite a walk back to the portal, but that's where my hiding skills will come in handy. I will wait until the morning as I am curious what the NPC in the cottage does, and he apparently doesn't want to be disturbed at night.

Maynist
Re: OTF hunting tips? 09/30/2012 02:00 PM CDT
Web is a bother: there aren't any spiders there, so it's probably an area spell cast by one of the ithzir. My cleric and empath have much less of a problem with this since they cast untrammel on themselves prior to hunting (gives them a second saving throw roll), but my mage has gotten stuck on a couple of occasions. Generally a bad thing to have happen.

Crystal weapon flares: often fatal. Remedy: Don't get hit (pump up your DS). Note that the ithzir can also hurl the weapons, meaning you need a good bolt DS also.

Griffins: Arrows can take them down from hiding before they descend if you are good enough to hit them in the eye. Otherwise, you can hit them with hand held weapons once they descend to attack. Unfortunately this gives them one free shot at you.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: OTF hunting tips? 09/30/2012 08:44 PM CDT
Both seers and initiates will cast area webs, generally when they prepare web to cast at a PC and then that PC moves or hides. There is an alchemy product, it's dust but I forget the exact adjectives it has, that casts untrammel. You can throw it at a web to destroy the web - get some of that to deal with them. You'll never get stuck walking into the room with the web, so if you stumble into a room with one use the dust immediately and you're good.
Re: OTF hunting tips? 10/01/2012 02:08 AM CDT
Couldn't confirm what the NPC does, but she appears to be a healer. Since I departed, I had no wounds so I guess she had no interest in me.

I'll see if I can find some of that dust. Using Symbol of Return every time I find a web would seem to be overkill. I could just hide and wait it out if there aren't too many critters, but my one experience seems to indicate that these webs are critter magnets.

On another note, some of you out there are ignoring the special weapons that critter carry and are leaving them on the ground. I appreciate that mithril weapons aren't too exciting and are probably not worth the weight, but I have come across two mithglin weapons and a runestaff that seems to be 5x (although I need to verify as I don't use this kind of weapon). More silvers for me I guess.

Maynist
Re: OTF hunting tips? 10/01/2012 10:55 AM CDT
Opaline dust is what you are thinking of that has untrammel.

You can buy herbs from the healer. I think they are a bit on the expensive side for herbs, but if you need them you need them.
Re: OTF hunting tips? 10/02/2012 06:08 PM CDT
I've missed stuff before on the ground when I search because I'm running for my life and then peer back and see it. It happens, if we don't know about it we don't care.

I would love to know the back story on the very elderly lady living in the cottage in a city that has been abandonned for generations, the first time I interacted with her I was like wow, she lives in this cute little cottage in a very dangerous place.

Are webs are a pain but I have yet to be tangled in one, I have been hit directly and I have the word in yellow so if I see them I do stop to untrammel for others that don't have heroism.

OTF isn't that hard but the swarms can be deadly. I'm glad you are doing well in the city. I do enjoy it.

Velvette...bowcrazy
Re: OTF hunting tips? 10/04/2012 09:59 PM CDT
So there I was...in the process of ridding OTF of a grizzled adept, when the coward just shimmers and disappears.

But he wasn't dead, and I searched all over OTF for him. After an hour I gave up, and must have killed dozens of
other adepts in the meantime.

Hours later, I got a whopping 8 bounty points for the task because I couldn't find the shivering coward.

Am I missing something? How am I supposed to find some wimp who disappears and won't show his ugly face?

Maynist the Grumpy
Re: OTF hunting tips? 10/05/2012 02:45 PM CDT
If you got BPs, even though only a few, it means he reappeared somewhere along the line and someone else killed him. You got a miniscule reward because you did some damage to him before he poofed. You need to get another task, that one is done. (Killing other adepts is meaningless once you have triggered the target's appearance; it won't speed up his reappearance). If you wait long enough in the same room, vanished ithzir usually reappear eventually ... unless you are unfortunate enough to stun them first, in which case the ithzir may never reappear. In that case, ask for a new task.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: OTF hunting tips? 10/05/2012 09:42 PM CDT
I did stun him. You would think that would be a good thing. Oh well.

Maynist
Re: OTF hunting tips? 10/07/2012 12:34 PM CDT
Well I saw an initiate cast a web - guess I won't be laughing at them anymore.

Griffin screeches: Symbol of Courage by itself is not a sufficient defense, although it certainly helps. Bravery and Courage combined work well. Using Bravery uses 11 spell points, so it's costly, but I have decided it is worth the points. Most of the OTF residents don't even get a chance to cast at me (a benefit of being an ambusher who can also Vanish), but griffin screeches are a constant problem. So I am sacrificing my defenses a bit to keep Bravery active.

Maynist
Re: OTF hunting tips? 10/11/2012 02:28 PM CDT
Naw Maynist you can still laugh at initiates. I do. Even if they do occasionally manage to hit me once I get mass dispelled from a seer. They crit easily to wither and boneshatter and are fun to kill.

Someone told me Physical Training helps with the screeches. I still will get a 15 second roundtime with them and that's running heroism and bravery and being doubled in PT and being well over 100 now. I have noticed since I uppsed the PT to doubled that it is more like 3 or 5 seconds if I get a roundtime at all though.

Velvette...bowcrazy
Re: OTF hunting tips? 10/14/2012 09:40 PM CDT
I have learned that Griffins are mostly offense and not much defense. I have killed several in one hit without ambushing. Still, I won't hunt them alone - those flying lessons can be a real pain.

Maynist
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page