Running StormFront - Need ActiveX? 02/17/2018 10:16 AM CST
Hi all,

Returning to the lands after a long absence... I installed StormFront per usual, but get the message that ActiveX is not running. After a bit of research (I'm not a big software guy), I learned that basically no browser uses ActiveX anymore. In fact, it seems some actively block it...and IE / Edge doesn't let it run at all. Neither does Chrome. I've tried everything I know how to try, and I can't get the StormFront FE to load, pop-up, or anything. Is there a workaround? I can use the in-browser FE (which looks like it's been updated since I was last here), but I really prefer StormFront.

Thanks in advance,

H.O.
Re: Running StormFront - Need ActiveX? 02/17/2018 10:21 AM CST
I can get in with any of the browsers on Win 10. Since you mention Edge, I presume that's your OS as well.

When you click on GO PLAY button (after selecting character / stormfront), do you get a window that says 'OPENING SAL'?

Doug
Re: Running StormFront - Need ActiveX? 02/17/2018 11:55 AM CST
Hi Doug,

A .sal file downloads...and just like when you download anything in Chrome or Edge, it appears as a downloaded file in bottom of the browser and appears as a downloaded file in my downloads folder. When I click on it, I just get the pop-up asking me what I want to use to open the file. It doesn't seem to be triggering anything (such as the FE itself, or anything else).

Thanks!
Re: Running StormFront - Need ActiveX? 02/17/2018 11:58 AM CST
Perfect, we're half way there.

When you click on it next time (they expire, so don't use an old one), associate it with the Simutronics Launcher, and open it. That should start up SF.

Depending on your browser and configuration, you may have to open it each time (but you will only need to associate it once), or it may just start right up.

Give it a shot and let us know how it works.

Doug
Re: Running StormFront - Need ActiveX? 02/17/2018 12:19 PM CST
Success! It didn't work at first, and kept giving me errors about the StormFront skin not loading correctly. So, I removed all the files, reinstalled all, and then linked the .sal file to StormFront and it finally worked.

Thanks! Very much appreciated!
Re: Running StormFront - Need ActiveX? 02/17/2018 12:26 PM CST
Very welcome! Enjoy!

Doug