Disconnection problems 11/14/2016 08:41 AM CST
As the title says I am having a problem with the game disconnecting me. I'm playing in Plat so this is a real issue in that I could be in the middle of a hunt and get disconnected and loose all my stuff. Aside from that I shouldn't be being disconnected in the first place. I don't see others being disconnected so I'm inferring that the problem must be specific to me. My OS is WIN 8.1 and I'm using Mozilla Firefox for the game since using IE 11 wont even let me get to the site without issues. Since I am in this forum it goes without saying that I'm using StormFront. I have tried playing out of in private mode and in. My connection is 20MB with Spectrum IS. I have upped my allotted disc space up to 512 MB. Neither of these things have helped. I'm not horribly tech savvy and could really use some help. Thanks.
Re: Disconnection problems 11/14/2016 08:46 AM CST
Curious: Is Stormfront closing or is it staying open and your just losing game connection? I've been having occasional issues were Stormfront will just all of a sudden close on me, leaving me "ghosting" in the game.
Re: Disconnection problems 11/14/2016 09:58 AM CST
StormFront stays open for me...the game loses connection and I have to then close down StormFront, and then go back and restart.
Re: Disconnection problems 11/20/2016 11:41 AM CST
Anybody? No suggestions as to what I can do to fix this problem?
Re: Disconnection problems 11/21/2016 07:55 AM CST
The connection to the game client shouldn't end. It can be a result of a few of things.

1) Your physical connection to the internet - wired or wireless?
* wireless - even with today's technology, it can be unreliable. If your connection is wireless and it fails (drops) for a couple seconds it can be enough to disrupt your connection to the game and it drops. You may not notice drops for things such as streaming movies (Netflix) because movies will buffer out a short amount of time, this way if your internet drops for a moment or two, you don't notice it because your movie/show is still playing while the internet reconnects in the background. Wireless, it could also be possible your actualy wifi antenna could be problematic on your computer.
* wired - superior way to connect. Buf if you're wired and your connection drops, it could be a faulty ethernet cable, fautly port on your router or even faulty port on your computer (usually the latter two are not the problem, but sometimes ports do fail).

2) Issue with your internet - may be related to your modem or router or even your internet in general from your ISP
* if you have a router - the router could be problematic/failing. You'd have to test things out to see - running a ping to the router to see if it has any drops the same time the game disconnects would be a good test (but this doesn't tell you 100% the router is the issue)
* if you have a modem/router - this should be a device provided by your ISP and may require their attention to trouble shoot any possible problems on it.
* you can contact your ISP to see if they have any disconnects in your service

3) Your location in comparison to play.net servers - hops that your connection takes (which are out of your control) to the server, could be a disruption at one of the hops that causes a disconnect.
* this one is much harder to determine and near impossible to fix since it would be a connection out of your control. a tracert can be run to a lot of sites you visit, but a return response is disabled by play.net on their servers. You can see the the hops the connection takes, but you timeout at the end.

What you can do:
If you use wireless, try moving to wired connection.
If you have a modem and/or router - if you haven't restarted them any time soon, you can do the following. Unplug the power from the modem and router. Wait 30 seconds and plug the modem in first. If you have a router, plug the power back in on the router 30 seconds after you plugged the power into the modem. 30 seconds later, restart your computer (not really needed, but it doesn't hurt). Once everything is back up and running try things out again and see if it makes any difference.

-Drumpel
Re: Disconnection problems 11/22/2016 01:37 PM CST
Thanks Drumpel :)

I am hard wired to a router.
Each night I shut everything down including the router so it's probably not a problem that can be reset to make it go away.
It could be a faulty connection at some point thought I haven't detected any problems going to and being on any other site (like watching a long video on YouTube or an anime on Funimation or Crunchyroll).
I'm half way across the US from Simu's headquarters so I suppose there being a faulty hop could be an issue though I'm not sure. It seems to me (if I remember correctly) that hops wouldn't be static in the sense that the same exact route would be used daily to connect between us. So not sure that would be the issue either.
All that said I'm leaning toward: a) a faulty physical connection or intermittent break in a line somewhere, b) something wrong with my router, or c) my ISP having errors in it's service lines.

I'll try and see what I can do about replacing my lines and if that doesn't work call the ISP and see about getting my Router looked at.

Thanks again :)
Re: Disconnection problems 11/23/2016 07:58 AM CST
Since you're wired, I'd suggest running a constant ping to your router. If you don't know how to run a ping or what the IP of the router is, you can do this:

Windows 7 thru 10:
Press the windows key + R (this will open the run command)
In the run window, type in cmd and press enter or click OK

You'll see the command prompt window open. In here you can do two things you need, locate the IP for your router and run a ping to it.

Finding IP for your router
In the command prompt window, type in ipconfig and press enter

In the information that loads in, find the line that say Default Gateway - this is your IP address for your router. Most likely it will be something along the lines of 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1

Once you know the IP of your router, you can now run a ping command.

Running constant ping command to your router
In the command prompt window type in ping (IP of your router) -t (see table below for example) and press enter

ping 192.168.1.1 -t

This will run a constant ping from your computer to your router. Leave this command prompt window open (you can minimize it if you want, just don't close it) while you play and if you get disconnected, check and see if there are any drops in the command prompt (I believe any drops will display as "Request timed out") at the time of your disconnect. If there is, then something is breaking your communication (bad cable, bad port, issue with router/modem or even the ISP). If you have no drops in your connection, then the issue lies somewhere else (hops to the server or something that's not working right on the computer - an issue with Windows).

I know this won't fix your issue, but it may help trying to narrow things down more if you're so inclined to do so. If you play on a laptop that can be easily moved, sometimes constant moving can eventually have adverse effects on the ethernet cable. My last job was tech support for a POS (point of sale) company. I dealt with stores that used touch screen registers. The registers are moved often for cleaning or get bumped - constant movement over time causes the ethernet cable to bend/crimp and eventually fail. So, just a thought if you're using a laptop.

-Drumpel
Re: Disconnection problems 11/26/2016 09:20 AM CST
Have been doing the IPCONFIG and PING thing you suggested for the last few days. Mysteriously, however, the disconnection problem seems to have gone away for the moment. Will continue to do this for a while still however. Thanks for you help!
Re: Disconnection problems 11/26/2016 09:32 AM CST
...and of course as soon as I posted that not ten minutes later in game I lost connection. Quickly checked the ping log and saw only a 17ms and a 10ms ping. This wouldn't be enough to cause a disconnect would it?
Re: Disconnection problems 11/26/2016 03:08 PM CST
It shouldn't, but if you are experiencing some packet loss when the disconnect happens and then it goes away after that could be a possible cause. Saying this mainly because it's happening to me and I'm trying to get Comcast to fix their hops in my area of VA.

Speaking in Faendryl, Jahosk says, "You will now be known as Blade Durakar, the Palestra."
Re: Disconnection problems 11/26/2016 05:00 PM CST
Not sure how I'd do a continual packet check...I'm not really good with tech things. In fact...about all I know I've just learned here.