XML Borkage? 10/05/2016 06:24 PM CDT
For the past few days, I've been having issues with a singular character regarding lich and Stormfront. At first, I thought it was a lich issue and after going through hoops to troubleshoot the problem, we've determined that it's a Stormfront issue. Let me start by saying up until a few days ago, I had no issues with this character, but after venturing into Reim with a capped group and dealing with several infuriating crashes during screen scroll, the problem arose. We narrowed it down to an XML issue at log in. When logging in straight through SGE, my bounty information shows up right after the copyright information. Weird, right? That's not supposed to happen. When I log in through lich, I get the bounty information and an XML error message. So obviously this bounty flub is causing lich to not parse right and leaves me feeling like I'm in the dark ages of GS trying to self navigate maps that I would other wise use ;go2 for. I checked my other characters and guess what, no bounty information at log in.

surprised face

I tried a fresh install of Stormfront, SGE, and Lich to no avail. Maetriks is still borked. Before a simple log in and log out would fix it but as the the days go on, the "fix" works less frequently to the point of not at all. Can someone please help me get this fixed right? I put an ASSIST in, they said try here. I BUGged my character. I'm near desperate for a resolution.
Re: XML Borkage? 10/05/2016 06:36 PM CDT
I also decided to test a theory to see if it was restricted to Stormfront and it's not. Maetriks cannot log into the web client. Other characters can.
Re: XML Borkage? 10/06/2016 08:01 PM CDT
So with the help of some patient GMs, and likely, some luck, I got unborked last night. Unfortunately, I logged in tonight with Maetriks, and I'm back to having the same problems. I did the fix as was suggested and logged into Stormfront via the website, NOT SGE, and the issue remained. Tried the web client interface, and could not connect. This is the issue that keeps happening. I'm borked for an extended period of time/log ins, then randomly I'm okay and things seem fine for the time being.

Please note, I tried this on another computer, too, through both SGE (sans lich) and through Stormfront via the website, same results.

This is leading me to believe it is not lich that is the issue. There is something breaking this specific character and it randomly gets fixed when trying to duplicate the issue, only to be unfixed when it matters most.
Re: XML Borkage? 10/08/2016 01:24 AM CDT
Sorry for asking the obvious - but do you save your scripts, macros and text settings to the server? Or locally?

Doug
Re: XML Borkage? 10/08/2016 08:10 AM CDT
Doug, initially we had all of that saved to the server but tried moving them to local. The problem has unfortunately continued on that character.

Speaking in Faendryl, Jahosk says, "You will now be known as Blade Durakar, the Palestra."
Re: XML Borkage? 10/08/2016 10:53 AM CDT
Ok. I might have an idea. Before we run the trap, though - I see lich was mentioned. Has anyone suggested toggling the datatag stream on and logging what the game's sending to the FE?

I understand this is happening only on this one character, and across all FE, and that Lich has been taken out of the picture. let's throw it back in and analyze what's actually being sent.

I'd suggest StormFront FE for this purpose, if you use it and its available.

Doug
Re: XML Borkage? 03/28/2017 04:10 PM CDT
6 months later and I am STILL having these issues.

#bardlife
Re: XML Borkage? 03/28/2017 05:15 PM CDT
Looks like some players were trying to help you back in October, but I see no response from you. You might follow up with the last suggestion and post your results.

SGM Sleken
Re: XML Borkage? 03/28/2017 05:29 PM CDT
>>Looks like some players were trying to help you back in October, but I see no response from you. You might follow up with the last suggestion and post your results.

My fiance took over the communication with the players through emails and after attempting their suggestion, we still got nowhere. The issue is it's not consistent to the point of being extremely random. One moment, it will be fine... next log in is broken. It's gotten to the point where it seems 1/20 log ins is actually successful. The issue persists when logging in through SGE, sans lich. I'm reluctant to post when something is successful due to the fact that there is no consistency and while it might work at that moment, the following day, I end up broken again. Maetriks is the -only- character I have had consistent issues with. They weren't as bad for a while, though the issues still existed, however now they appear to be getting worse... again. I can't keep dealing with a temporary "fix".
Re: XML Borkage? 03/29/2017 06:20 AM CDT
The problem is... if it can't be reproduced, there's not much we can do on our end to just "make it happen" to find the problem. We can't fix something that we can't reproduce, and it's not happening to anyone here, as far as I know.

~ Haliste ~
The Forest Gnome of Silverwood Manor
ASGM, Events

Omrii: Okay, thanks Haliste. You're way better than Wyrom.
Re: XML Borkage? 03/29/2017 08:52 AM CDT
I don't know if this is the same issue or not, but on at least one of my characters I get a ?PaintLayout? error upon login. Tidbits of content stream to various windows (not the story one) and it spams me with popups showing something to the effect of _PaintLayout: error_ with OK buttons. Most of the time it crashes SF, but not always.
Re: XML Borkage? 03/29/2017 09:32 AM CDT
>>I don't know if this is the same issue or not, but on at least one of my characters I get a ?PaintLayout? error upon login. Tidbits of content stream to various windows (not the story one) and it spams me with popups showing something to the effect of _PaintLayout: error_ with OK buttons. Most of the time it crashes SF, but not always.

That's happened to me a few times, most often when there's screen scroll, and most times, I crash as well. Once or twice, rarely, it sets my colors off and wacks out my screen. Unfortunately, this is fixed with a simple log on/off, or at least it was when I wasn't having the issues I'm having now.

In other news... I'm getting closer to finding the culprit of what is breaking my log ins. I won't know for sure for at least another week of testing, but... if it is this item, once I know for sure, I'll be putting an assist in. I also have to follow up with another player that seems to be having the same issue and ask him.
Re: XML Borkage? 03/29/2017 09:54 AM CDT
I'm sure it's not what you really intended to say, Haliste - but so far, we've gained ground not by 'reproducing'. Empathy is first and foremost especially in these times where it looks to be a complete one-off. Idea generation is second (because it's new). Patience is probably around the third or fourth place.

Doug
Re: XML Borkage? 03/29/2017 10:29 AM CDT
I meant that from a "fix this issue" standpoint, it's difficult to know what we're fixing if we, you know, don't know what we're fixing. I probably shouldn't have responded at all because I didn't have much, if anything, to add to the conversation. But it was early. I know better than to respond to threads before at least 10:00 AM.

~ Haliste ~
The Forest Gnome of Silverwood Manor
ASGM, Events

Omrii: Okay, thanks Haliste. You're way better than Wyrom.
Re: XML Borkage? 03/29/2017 11:05 AM CDT
>>I know better than to respond to threads before at least 10:00 AM.

I should be guided by this very concept, myself! Tell me, do you have anything about 'after'? Perhaps measured in drams? :)

>>I meant that from a "fix this issue" standpoint

That's fair, and I appreciate the clarification. That customer orientation which doesn't really differentiate discover from fix (just the results, ma'am) also can benefit from this distinction. That's a bit dicier, though.

Thanks again.

Doug
Re: XML Borkage? 03/29/2017 11:56 AM CDT
>I don't know if this is the same issue or not, but on at least one of my characters I get a ?PaintLayout? error upon login. Tidbits of content stream to various windows (not the story one) and it spams me with popups showing something to the effect of _PaintLayout: error_ with OK buttons. Most of the time it crashes SF, but not always.

I get this from time to time when logging in with some of my characters. It will only happen though with other players in the same room when I log them in, not all other players cause this. Only a handful seem to, from what I've experienced and figured out (which isn't much).

I used to rest at the tables at the local inn in Solhaven. Upon logging in with a couple of my characters, sometimes a couple of player characters would be just standing outside of the tables and I'd get that PaintLayout error. Sometimes I could click through the popups and move about (log out and back in at another location) or sometimes SF would outright crash.

I figure the issue has to do with problems with highlighted strings - not all my characters have similar highlights and they really don't tend to use the same colors for things. Example: one character may have all their defensive spells highlighted in light blue while another has the same spells highlighted in orange. The only consistence I do use in color highlights are all NPC/monsters are in red and all stunned/the body of and nasty creatures (such as roa'ter) are in hot pink background w/ black lettering.

But that's just my guess that it has to do with highlighted strings - something with my paint/highlight settings clashes with something on the character(s) that are in the same room when I log into the game. It doesn't happen with all player characters, but with specific ones, it will happen over and over again when I log in if they're in the same room. I have since moved my characters to log in into the game at another location less frequented by people and I haven't had the PaintLayout error come up in a long time.

-Drumpel
Re: XML Borkage? 03/31/2017 06:36 PM CDT
>I don't know if this is the same issue or not, but on at least one of my characters I get a ?PaintLayout? error upon login. Tidbits of content stream to various windows (not the story one) and it spams me with popups showing something to the effect of _PaintLayout: error_ with OK buttons. Most of the time it crashes SF, but not always.

I sometimes get this as well on login with Durakar, though it goes away after 1-2 relogs. The same thing happens mid-session and sends all of the text colors into what I assume is an oddly randomized rainbow effect that starts off with everything black and then goes through several other colors before I get frustrated with it and relog that character. I have narrowed that particular issue down to being primarily caused by me holding the left CTRL key and clicking on a StormFront link during screen scroll.

Speaking in Faendryl, Jahosk says, "You will now be known as Blade Durakar, the Palestra."
Re: XML Borkage? 04/05/2017 02:25 PM CDT
Crosspost

Okay, so, to follow up after some personal IT from several people, there were SEVERAL issues at work here that created a perfect storm of errors and so built my frustration.

1. Running Windows 10 on a laptop
2. Not running SF as admin
3. Lich files in my documents folder (which NEVER caused an issue before), Ruby in program files.
4. Crashes. OMG, the crashes.

So what ended up happening was a wipe and fresh install of Stormfront and Lich, giving them their own file on my C: drive.
Went into properties for SF and Ruby, set to run as admin, and made sure to set compatibility mode to 2007.
It's suspected that my antivirus might be kicking some of the information which was causing some of the borkage but no way to no for sure. As of this moment, EVERYTHING appears great and normal but I won't know until Reim tonight if I crash tonight.

Thank you to Wyrom, Retser, Haliste, and the other GMs who worked to try and figure out why things were breaking as sporadically as they were.

#bardlife
Re: XML Borkage? 04/05/2017 07:50 PM CDT
I was wrong. Log ins broken again.

#bardlife
Re: XML Borkage? 04/06/2017 06:04 AM CDT
So after several log ins that were broken and logged to send up the chain and my room window being closed and minimizing what I was using, I removed my DR MoonShard pendant and like a miracle, I was able to log in normally. This was after I did all the steps recommended to fix the issue. I was okay for a short time then problems. On the plus side, I didn't crash in Reim, I just had very, very bad lag (part of which I'm thinking had to do with the log in issue as well).

#bardlife
Re: XML Borkage? 04/06/2017 07:43 AM CDT
Let's condense this down to one thread in one topic. Two threads are just going to make it harder to follow the situation.
First, I'd love to see a log from login to crash. You can email it to me.

SGM Sleken
Re: XML Borkage? 04/06/2017 04:03 PM CDT
>>First, I'd love to see a log from login to crash. You can email it to me.

I can send you the logs I sent to Wyrom and Retser last night when the log ins were having issues. I didn't crash last night, just had ridiculous lag. I did log in and log out several times though trying to fix the log in, no such luck.