Cannot use one character - All others work 09/18/2015 12:52 PM CDT
Quick info -

Running Bootcamp with Windows 7 on a Macbook Pro.
New installation.
Reinstalled Stormfront several times.
The character works on my other computer as well as when I log in using the Browser based Stormfront.

So when I log into any other character on any account (INCLUDING this account, the game loads perfectly fine and plays like normal.

But when I load character Veddek, Stormfront will not produce a GUI. The character connects to the game and is standing there, but I cannot make him do anything. I have confirmed this by seeing the character instantiate withing the game with another account (using the same computer none the less...).

The error says it cannot find storm.skn - though the file is in the folder it should be. I do not use any special skins, so I am not sure what it is looking for.

This only effects the ONE character on ONE account, while every other character on the same account on the same computer loads perfectly fine.

Any idea how to get it up and running?

-Veddek et al.
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/19/2015 01:57 AM CDT
Still having the same issue. Any help appreciated.
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/19/2015 01:57 AM CDT
Still having the same issue. Any help appreciated.
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/19/2015 08:53 AM CDT
Pretty neat! I don't know that we've ever 'seen' this behavior with just one character from a list.

Still happening? And are you using different browsers, perhaps?

Doug
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/19/2015 10:15 AM CDT
I would say it's neat... But it's this characters 30 day migration period!!

Oh well, I was only 2 day into him anyway, a restart won't kill me.

I usually play by connection through loch - so I had though that was the problem. Immediately went to boot through SGE, same issue. Launched SF through the website, same issue. Did a reinstall, all three had same issue. If I launch SF in the browser though I can load him up just fine.

I figure I need to wipe SF more thoroughly, thought I had. It's only this one character on the one computer too, so odd.
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/19/2015 10:16 AM CDT
Connect to the game through Lich (not loch)
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/19/2015 11:13 AM CDT

Launch thru the browser, move a couple of moves not ending in the starting spoy. Log out. Load again with lich. Common lich problem. Also, you should ask on the unofficial for help with lich. People are smarter about lich there

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/19/2015 11:26 PM CDT

Did ask on the unofficials. Zero responses.

Go team.
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/20/2015 10:19 AM CDT
>>People are smarter about lich there

ROFL!

Ok, so - you tried reinstalling Lich and Stormfront. I would like you to try the suggestion in this thread, please.

>>http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Software%20&%20Hardware%20Help/StormFront%20FE%20Discussions/view/322

When you're done, you may get an error about SGE files. Make sure you have rebooted, and then try it one more time.

After that, you should be able to go back to Lich and start from there. If you're presently 'linked' on the LINK tab, you'll want to remove that first.

Doug
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/20/2015 01:06 PM CDT
>>People are smarter about lich there

>ROFL!

Tillmen posts on the PC, so yah. His statement is valid.
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/20/2015 01:10 PM CDT
>>Tillmen posts on the PC, so yah. His statement is valid.

No question - except he also posts here. Hmm. . .

Doug
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/20/2015 01:11 PM CDT
As who?
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/20/2015 01:29 PM CDT
>>As who?

Not sure this is going in any useful direction, but refer to:

>>http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Software%20&%20Hardware%20Help/General%20Computer%20Questions/view/150

In short, there are some good people on both forums. Always worth seeking out assistance in both. But one over the other? There's only one category where that holds true, in my opinion.

Doug
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/20/2015 01:33 PM CDT
You may want to update the GSwiki then, as all of the current avenues for help direct to the PC. Here's hoping he pops in again sometime this year. From a quick look through the recorded posts for most of the topic folders, I wouldn't hold my breath.

BTW, civil discourse doesn't usually start with responding with ROFL to someone's suggestion.
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/20/2015 01:57 PM CDT
>>BTW, civil discourse doesn't usually start with responding with ROFL to someone's suggestion.

ROFL! Thanks!

Doug
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/20/2015 04:35 PM CDT
You stay classy, Doug, and keep providing that welcoming attitude that proves you're worthy of your Blue nametag.
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/20/2015 05:10 PM CDT
You stay classy, Doug, and keep providing that welcoming attitude that proves you're worthy of your Blue nametag.

It's best just to have some users on ignore. I'll leave it to your judgement as to that might be.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/20/2015 05:37 PM CDT
>>worthy of your Blue nametag

Ah! I was wondering what this was all about. . . Thanks!

Back to the character / STORM.SKN issue, perhaps?

Doug
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/20/2015 06:09 PM CDT
>It's best just to have some users on ignore. I'll leave it to your judgement as to that might be. -Taakhooshi, and Me

A point well taken, thank you.

For future reference, see these resources for issues related to Lich problems.

Unofficial Support for Lich: http://forum.gsplayers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/21/2015 11:46 AM CDT
The instructions to try to update stormfront are not yielding anything, it simply tries to launch as normal.

Moving the character in another mode (web browser, or other computer) did not fix the problem.

Possibly I need to try and uninstall lich more thoroughly? Any instruction on how to accomplish this?

-Falicor
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/21/2015 11:49 AM CDT
>For future reference, see these resources for issues related to Lich problems.

>Unofficial Support for Lich: http://forum.gsplayers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

I did go to this forum first, of course. But as the thread has sat there with only 1 response (and that response was...me..) I am simply looking to make this work.

I guess you guys all need to hug it out or whatever, but if you know why it cant find stormfront.skn - I would be SUPER interested in a solution.

-That guy who has the problem no one has heard of.
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/21/2015 04:39 PM CDT
A shot in the dark, but I'd try the following:

1. On both computers, make a copy of storm.skn called stormfront.skn in the same directory.
2. On the working computer, log in the character, go to Options, Choose Skin, and pick stormfront.skn.
3. The game will try to reconnect, but if you have Lich installed on that computer, it probably won't work. Log in your usual way and make sure things are working.
4. Try the other computer, and hope for the best.

While there is a slim, slim chance this is a Lich issue, it sounds more like a Stormfront one.
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/21/2015 05:34 PM CDT
Let us know if PFLATS suggestion bears any fruit. If it does, it would seem to indicate that somehow that file became corrupt. I would think in that scenario it would affect all characters, but I support that it's possible.

If it doesn't, we're down to two possibilities. I'm not sure uninstalling lich will help, but we can get that out of the way really quickly, in my view. I would recommend focusing first on the character data files to see if something might have been corrupted there. Before we take that step, though, I think I'd like to run down this other possibility.

Check your email settings for play dot net, to be sure you'll receive email as 'fitzchivalry at play dot net'. I'll shoot you an email about a couple of things (lich character data, and server side script / macro settings) to check to see if we can get you moving again. Appreciate your patience with this and am sorry for my part that this inconvenience exists.

BTW, I've seen that name before, haven't I. ;)

Doug
Re: Cannot use one character - All others work 09/21/2015 07:00 PM CDT
Thanks for the responses. Been puzzling over it for a while.

>A shot in the dark, but I'd try the following:

Completed all steps as prescribed. The working computer acted exactly as you said it would, tried to relaunch but could not. Logged back in normally, all was fine.

Full disclosure: I had changed the settings to import local from import server (if any of that matters), I had also downloaded the "stealth.skn" from the play.net SF download page and tried that to see if it would work (it didnt), it did seem to work on any other character as expected.

The second computer, I started to get new error messages. Instead of getting the "storm.skn" critical error I got the following:

Could not find skin object:
AnnotationColor2

See more popup messages this run? Yes/No (I hit yes)

Could not find skin object:
AnnotationColor

Could not form skin object

No more messages came up, and the window did NOT come up. The character is still getting into the game as before, nothing else has changed.

>I'm not sure uninstalling lich will help, but we can get that out of the way really quickly, in my view

I also believe uninstalling it will do nothing. I believe I had it as uninstalled as it can get and the result were the same. Also the fact that the Narost map comes up makes me think Lich is working just fine.

>Check your email settings for play dot net

Everything is setup as it should be, if you send something and hear no response, let me know. It all looks good on my end.

>BTW, I've seen that name before, haven't I. ;)

Pretty sure I made this account about 3 days after Assassin's Apprentice came out, I was sharing an account with someone prior (AoL so expensive!). Just started to reread the series since she has new Fitz and the Fool books coming out - got to meet her and get a handshake - so that rekindled that...anyway...

No idea whats up with the character though. VERY VERY wierd that it hits only this character. I had him up to level 6 too, oh well I can always start the month over again.