Stormfront's gone clunky! 08/26/2015 07:01 PM CDT
Help! I recently updated to a new computer. I went from Windows 7 to Windows 8, and my new computer is a vast improvement on graphics/ram than my last one. But when I try to play on Stormfront, I get insane lag. I've reset my modem, played some other online games to see if the latency was up there, and they don't seem to be having any problems. I had problems with Stormfront not loading, until I had to run as admin. Does anyone know if there's anything I can tweak to help?
Re: Stormfront's gone clunky! 08/26/2015 07:20 PM CDT
I'll be happy to see what I can do - but fair warning, performance is one of the most difficult things that can be 'troubleshot' remotely, largely because it appears things are working and there's little to anchor to. And, sadly, you could be caught up in the results of something called a DOS (denial of service) attack at your provider or somewhere between you and Simutronics. St Louis is frequently a target because of the number of US Government activities going on there. There's little you can do besides comment to the affected provider at that point.

Let's start with something simple, though.

Go to http://speedof.me and run the test. You're looking for two things (besides really impressive numbers). Your latency and your upload speeds. If there's a large number in latency (you're probably ok at or under 100ms, but lower of course is always much better) and you'd like to see your upload speeds in excess of 2Mb, as a general rule.

Then, if you don't mind, I'd like you to try this Wizard interface - let's see if this is really a problem with the SF client, or if it is associated with something else and affects Wizard as well. Don't worry, I won't leave you with a 'just use that' mentality.

Finally, if you're using any third party software (like LICH), let's try both clients without that - just log in through the web page and select the client to play.

Let us know the results - we might start asking to poke around in various log files depending on what you give us back.

Doug
Re: Stormfront's gone clunky! 08/26/2015 07:45 PM CDT
Hello! I'm happy someone's even trying to help, even if nothing comes of it. ;) I went to the site, and my latency is 26ms and my upload was 2.12 mbps. I tried the Wizard client (which was really weird to me!) and it was slightly slow in some of the places outside of Wehnimer's Landing, but not to the same degree it has been in the past with Stormfront. And you're the second person to mention this Lich to me (with the GM I contacted being the first) but I hadn't heard of it until today. ;) So I don't use it. I will admit that I've been having slightly better times with Stormfront today- no lag times of 20+ seconds, just about 2-3 seconds when it hits.
Re: Stormfront's gone clunky! 08/26/2015 07:59 PM CDT
Ok, those all seem good.

Let's check a couple more things, just for grins. The SF client has the ability to store scripts and macros on the Simu server (default condition, I believe) and has imbedded links to click on to get menus for interacting with items in game.

let's turn both of these features off - the scripting probably forever (it has other limitations, too) and the clickable links just to see if there's an effect.

1) To disable saving settings to the Simutronics server, from StormFront go to Options > Settings > Location. Set the option to 'Local'.
2) To turn off the imbedded links (hypertext), under Options, select Advanced and then "Show Links".

Play with those settings set to local / off for a bit - see if that improves your game delays at all.

Doug
Re: Stormfront's gone clunky! 08/26/2015 08:19 PM CDT

I will! And I noticed two things tonight: the farther away from a city I am, the more lag I'll get; and I really get bad lag when I receive the "you just got 1 skill point" messages in game.
Re: Stormfront's gone clunky! 08/26/2015 08:22 PM CDT
Well, we can certainly turn those messages off in the client, but I'm loathe to do so only because I don't see how they can be having this effect, after we turn off the hypertext.

I'm kind of puzzled by the 'further from the city' observation, as well. Very odd - which city just as a totally inconsequential point of interest?

Doug
Re: Stormfront's gone clunky! 08/31/2015 06:02 PM CDT
Use the Wizard Luke. StormFront Dark Side it is...

Just an elf about town...