Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 10:11 AM CST
Hello,
I have just resubbed and installed SF again. When I start the game via any method (website, SGE, Lich) the launcher tries to update and then gives me an error message saying the following:
"While attempting to run C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Temp\StormFrontSetup1.0.1.26.exe CreatProcess failed with error code 1260". I have tried reinstalling SF, SGE and the launcher with no luck. HELP!

Sal
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 10:21 AM CST
This sounds like a permissions thing. Have you tried running the setup program as an administrator? I believe that you can locate the file, right click, and select run as administrator.

Ixix
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 10:38 AM CST
Welcome back!

~ Haliste ~
The Forest Gnome of Silverwood Manor
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 10:40 AM CST
No luck there. Reinstalled everything by "Run as Administrator" and then tried to run everything by "Run as Administrator". no dice :(

Sal
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 10:52 AM CST
If it helps any when I run the launcher from anywhere it downloads a <character.name>.sal file.

sal
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 10:53 AM CST
Which OS?

Doug
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 10:53 AM CST

>If it helps any when I run the launcher from anywhere it downloads a <character.name>.sal file.

you need to open that file. if it asks you what to open it with, choose stormfront
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 10:58 AM CST
Windows 7
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 11:00 AM CST
It had been opening with the launcher, but I tried it with SF and got a different error message.
"Error loading skin from [storm.skn]"

Looks like we are improving.... but still not quite there.

Sal
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 11:04 AM CST
Using Kaspersky? If so, pause that, and try again.

Then unpause it.

Doug
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 11:16 AM CST
UGH! I hate Kaspersky! My company tries to make us use it, but I use Vipre instead. Tried disabling it with no change.

Sal
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 11:28 AM CST
Good choice there.

Ok, we've got a couple things going on. But what I'd like you to do is use Lich's install tab, and UNINSTALL Stormfront.

Then, I'd like you to install StormFront again. If you can, I'd like you to install it to a different location. Just leaving it in DOWNLOADS could work, or you can install it to TEMP (you'll have to create C:\TEMP, if I remember my Win7 correctly), or DOCUMENTS.

After installing, give it another run, as admin, and let's see what you get.

Doug
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 11:36 AM CST
Not very familiar with lich. I have just reinstalled it, but I dont see an install tab. Just quick game entry, game entry and link.

Sal
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 11:44 AM CST
Tried to uninstall the regular way and reinstall in a different location with no effect.

Sal
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 01:31 PM CST
Sorry for the delay, had to step away.

Ok - I think at this point I have to formally announce my distaste for User Access Control (UAC) in Microsoft's products. I'm fairly convinced that's what the struggle is here. We have a couple of options at this point. Before we go to far, though - would like to know the path you installed the game to, when you reinstalled.

Options are we can disable UAC (not recommended, drastically lessens the security footprint of your OS); or we can confirm UAC is the ultimate culprit and then do a command line trick or two to convince UAC that when we say "run" we mean "really, run - here, dag nab it". The second option leaves UAC completely in play, but does actually cause it to be less persnickity when it comes to running the game.

Up for it?

Doug
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 02:35 PM CST
The new path is C:\StormFront\STORM. That said remember I was not able to uninstall SF using Lich... I have never seen an install tab on an lich I have used. UAC needs to stay active since I play on a laptop used for work. So the "trick" would be the best path here I think. Another thing to note is that SF has run on this computer before... about a year ago.
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 02:42 PM CST
An excellent choice! While you're considering the other options I forwarded, let's do this, easy way first.

In Windows Explorer, right click on the C:\StormFront folder, and select properties. Clear the 'read only' box on the properties screen if it is checked or partially checked. Then apply. This should cascade to the STORM subfolder as well, but let's double check using the same process -- right click, properties and clear the 'read only' box then apply.

Then give the game a shot.

I suspect, though, that the email process is going to be necessary, just betwixt you and I. Really hope I'm wrong. And we may have to modify it, if the computer joins a domain at work.

Doug
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 02:57 PM CST
No luck with the "read only" tags. I dont seem to be able to get the tag to release. I have even tried to do it manually to each folder in C:\Stormfront\storm
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 03:01 PM CST
Hmm. . .

ok, let's do this:

START - RUN - and typing in CMD.EXE - don't press enter, though! Instead, right click on the CMD icon, and run as administrator.

then type CD C:\ and press enter.

Then type the following in the command line window - attrib -R StormFront /S /D and press enter.

Then type EXIT in the command line window and give the game another go.

Doug
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 04:30 PM CST
Success! That seem to have worked. Thanks for the help!

Sal
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 05:12 PM CST
Anytime! Glad to hear it worked, and welcome back!

For those wondering, the ATTRIB command gives a user / administrator the ability from the command line to execute functions like setting read-only on or off, archive-needed on or off, etc. It's very similar to *NIX command CHMOD that deals with file / folder rights.

It is particularly useful when a user tries to clear / set folder options in Windows Explorer that the user's account can't seem to affect (like clearing a check or partially checked read-only property on a folder or file).

Those who need to do this should follow these steps (changed slightly, and added here for posterity).

1) Click START
2) Click RUN
3) Type in CMD.EXE but do not press enter
4) Right click on the CMD icon and select "Run as Administrator"
>> - This opens up the command line prompt (lovingly referred to as the DOS window)
5) In the command line window type CD C:\ and press enter
6) In the command line window type ATTRIB -R [Drive_Letter:\Path\To\StormFront\]asterisk_dot_asterisk /S /D
>> - asterisk_dot_asterisk is the 'star.star' all files command. Since an asterisk (SHIFT 8) is used to denote bold, it doesn't show up
>> - correctly on the officials boards
>> - this command tells Windows to "remove" the "read only attributes" of all files and subfolders in the StormFront folder. Don't type the
>> - brackets. For example on the previous user's system the full command would be ATTRIB -R C:\StormFront\asterisk_dot_asterisk /S /D
>> - this command also tells Windows to persist the ability to write for any program that is executed from that path or subfolder (such as
>> - SFE attempting to write to or create storm.skn files
7) When the process is complete, type EXIT in the command line window
8) Try the game and enjoy!

Have I mentioned recently how much I dislike UAC?

Doug
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 06:50 PM CST
Thanks Doug!

Ixix
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/21/2015 10:14 PM CST
Innocent bystander here. That's pretty awesome of you, Doug, to help folks out with their technical issues. Hopefully there will continue to be new and returning players, and I think it will ease the transition period if there are those like you about, to help with some of the techie stuffs.

It is appreciated by folks like me, since it's been about 15 years since I was very well versed in such things (hahahaha), but we all appear to want more folks to play.

Respectfully,

~ Bill, Coyote.

The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.
~ Voltaire
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/22/2015 12:14 AM CST
Very welcome. Always happy to help!

I think that wiki page is going to be important. Probably have to create a 'Troubleshooting Game Entry Problems' page or something, and try to find a good / logical way to break it up to the various platforms.

And as anyone who has read my posts can attest -- I'ma need some serious editorial assistance. Vanessa?!

Doug
Re: Error Message when starting SF 01/22/2015 12:53 AM CST

If you paste the text into the code of a page to at least look how you want it to look in the editor (even if it looks a big block of text when published), I'll put the code in tomorrow. feel free to email me a link
Re: Error Message when starting SF 08/11/2015 08:41 AM CDT

Hey Doug, or anyone else who's good with this stuff. I'm trying to get this guy going in lich.

he's running windows 7 sp1.

no matter how I try to open stormfront on his machine <sge. website, lich program>, all I get is the dreaded "Error loading skin from [storm.skn]"

tried to uninstall and reinstall stormfront to a less rights restricve directory. and i get the same error.

tried all your fancy -attrib commands, and while i didn't get an error message. it didn't fix the problem. even tried turning off uac temporarlity.

Any suggestions? ideas? Im at my wits end hehe.
Re: Error Message when starting SF 08/11/2015 04:03 PM CDT
Updated to point to the correct post

I really am beginning to dislike this 'sometimes' behavior for Windows.

Here's a post that worked for one user. I would enjoy hearing if it works in this case, as well.

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Software%20&%20Hardware%20Help/StormFront%20FE%20Discussions/view/469

Doug
Re: Error Message when starting SF 08/11/2015 05:01 PM CDT
>>tried all your fancy -attrib commands, and while i didn't get an error message. it didn't fix the problem. even tried turning off uac temporarlity.

You know, my sincere apologies. I obviously did not read closely enough to see that part of your message.

I'm surprised, though - but let's run through the Lich side, really quick.

Lich needs to be run in the 32bit ruby context of a Windows platform, so if the ruby install is 64bit, it's time to downgrade!

I would like to know if SGE is going to be used longterm or if it was just a test vehicle - if yes, use the ATTRIB information on that directory as well.

DO the same for the lich directory, just to be safe.

I would strongly advocate setting the LICH LINK tab to SGE, and using the SGE to log in. On Windows, I would encourage keeping 3rd party software out of the authentication / authorization venue as much as possible. Please note - this is not a ding on Lich, it just simplifies troubleshooting things like this.

Do me a favor - I'm on my mac presently, so I don't know this answer off the top of my head. But trace the .SAL file location, and see where that is - we may need to associate the SAL file differently for success but I'll be darned if I can recall where it loads to.

Doug
Re: Error Message when starting SF 08/14/2015 07:28 AM CDT

Update! Problem Resolved.

Apparently. the Attrib command DID fix the problem. I just neglected to reboot.

<newb mistake> I think my A+ cert just incinerated itself...

Thanks for the help Doug!

Andy
Re: Error Message when starting SF 08/14/2015 09:46 AM CDT
That's great news, Andy! You're most welcome.

Doug