Legend... wait for it.... 04/27/2015 11:20 AM CDT
So! The time has come to catch a Legendary Spirit Beast, and the search has begun in earnest.

I've found around 13 so far by exploring all over the world (LITERALLY all over the world, from River's Rest to OTF), but I'm searching for a particular one and having no luck finding it. The beast in question is "The Lady of Skulls", which is described as such:

a ranting bone-adorned madwoman: Supporting herself with a carved ivory staff, the woman is obviously mad. Her eyes roll and she chatters in tongues, her nonsensical words accompanied by the staccato of the clacking bones stitched to her robes.

I've asked several old-timer friends, done extensive research on whatever I could think of, but so far haven't managed to find much of anything. Given her appearance, my best guess is that she might be Hagga from the "Rise of the Reivers" storyline, but I've found very little to confirm what Hagga, herself, looks like. Her hut, which can be found in the Reiver's camp, looks like this:

[Hagga's Hut]
The hovel, sewn from the skins of countless felines, reeks of decaying meat and the acrid smell of blood. There are no windows; a torn leather flap provides the only way in or out. A small cooking fire centered in the room provides a dim illumination, and a dried mat of what appears to be krolvin skin is stretched out on a rack very close to the ground. A large variety of bone and skull fragments are strewn haphazardly around the rack.

Sounds promising, right? I've tried looking all around that area, as well as near her rather clearly labelled skull (which can be found outside Landing):
>>Mounted on the pike is a skull that is charred and covered with soot. Scratched into the skull is the word, "Hagga."

Makes sense, right? Hagga's Skull, Lady of Skulls... I also heard rumor that someone else was possessed by or had taken her skull later (Ladriel??), so I suppose that might lend credence to that theory. I couldn't find much information on that at all, however. Alternately, I logically presumed that this particular character might be shades of Zelia, of course, so I also searched through and around all three Zelia shrines (IMT, Solhaven, and EN) to no avail, including all throughout the Lunule Weald... which, given her description, I would think might fit this particular brand of crazy pretty well. It's certainly possible I've overlooked -- or am not aware of -- something or someplace, though; I've also tried searching any area I could find that had bones or skulls, any area related to Sheru or any other type of crazy.

So far, no luck though... the Hagga storyline was far, far before my time and information on it is somewhat limited. Anyone have any inspired ideas of any other spots to check, or who else she might could be? Or have any information on Hagga, or Landriel, or anything else that might be related? Or perhaps Auchand might be so kind as to chime in with a some manner of vague clue? :D

I'd love to figure who she is, regardless, even if I go with one of my other prime choices; I'll more than likely raise another beast so I can capture a second one at some point later, and she's pretty keen.

"Bring me your suffering. The rattle roar of broken bones. Bring me the riot in your heart. Angry, wild and raw. Bring it all. I am not afraid of the dark."
- mia hollow
Re: Legend... wait for it.... 04/27/2015 12:10 PM CDT
Also, I was greatly amused by this:

[Zelia's Temple, Refectory]
Armed with a large butcher knife, a priest meticulously spreads what appears to be cockroach marmalade on a thick slice of bread. Completing the task, he picks up the piece of bread and flings it across the room against the far wall! The bread sticks to the wall for a moment before sliding down to the floor to join the slumped forms of its predecessors, where a sizable crowd of live cockroaches appear to be helping themselves to the gratuitous feast. You also see a pair of iron-banded oak doors.

You focus your thoughts on a slick obsidian pendant. The surroundings feel too civilized to hold any spiritual energy.

"Bring me your suffering. The rattle roar of broken bones. Bring me the riot in your heart. Angry, wild and raw. Bring it all. I am not afraid of the dark."
- mia hollow
Re: Legend... wait for it.... 04/27/2015 12:32 PM CDT

>>I've found around 13 so far by exploring all over the world (LITERALLY all over the world, from River's Rest to OTF), but I'm searching for a particular one and having no luck finding it. The beast in question is "The Lady of Skulls", which is described as such:<<

I would be so grateful if people shared their intel on where uncommon and legendary beasts could be found...

-E
Re: Legend... wait for it.... 04/27/2015 01:29 PM CDT
I'm pretty sure Mewtwo is only a myth.

GM Scribes
Re: Legend... wait for it.... 04/27/2015 02:44 PM CDT
I'd be happy to help out anyone looking for a particular beast, especially an Uncommon, but I do think part of the fun is the searching. I've actually discovered a lot of neat stuff I didn't know about in this game in the process of scrutinizing and exploring areas, heh.

As for Pinefar, if there's an Uncommon to find then you'll see a message about a 'peculiar' spirit. If it's the 'You sense the presence of at least one spirit whose nature you cannot discern' message, it's more likely (AFAIK) that you're simply failing to discern one or more of the common spirits in the area, which can happen quite often with low or even middling Summoning lore. I looked around the area -- you do mean the Trading Post, I assume? -- and I didn't see any uncommons, so dunno. Were you searching for a particular one?

- mia hollow
Re: Legend... wait for it.... 04/27/2015 04:41 PM CDT
>>Well, I don't know what kind of uncommon there are. I've only seen the vesperti mentioned on the wiki and now I've found a halfing pioneer and a reckless firestormer. I seem to remember the number 13 from somewhere, so I guess I have 10 more to find. Are there any in Pinefar? Do you know how many there are in Icemule, how many in Pinefar if there are any? I'm assuming there still aren't any in the rift. Thanks for any clues you can offer.

Yeah, I chose the Vesperti for my Uncommon and added it to the Wiki, and it was pretty much exactly where I expected to find it via the lore, heh. I don't think I've found the Pioneer, but I did see the Firestormer (which is hilarious). Also, I've only found 13... I believe there are 107 beasts in total (39 common, 16 Uncommon, and 52 Legendary) last I checked, unless more have been added, so there's plenty to find. I could add the names of the Legendaries I've found to the Wiki, if people want -- I don't think that'd be too much of a spoiler, I hope. Plus, you can always fight random Blood Matches or Weeklies to get some idea of what's out there.

I checked out Pinefar a tad, but I don't think I found much except for the normal commons in the area. I will say there is a beast (singular) in the Rift, although it's not really what I expected! There may be more, of course, but that's all I've been able to find after an extensive search and there don't seem to be any commons.

The Uncommons are found in a broad "area", so they're fairly easy to find. The Legendaries are in a single room, however, though from my experience they are usually found in fairly intuitive (if odd) places... but there are, of course, exceptions to this; one, I never would have found without some exhaustive research... so there's that.

- mia hollow
Re: Legend... wait for it.... 04/27/2015 04:44 PM CDT
Addendum: I think that there are actually more than the number I mentioned above now, as I seem to recall several (mostly commons) were added here and there since then.

- mia hollow
Re: Legend... wait for it.... 04/27/2015 04:45 PM CDT
Still no luck finding the Lady of Skulls, hrmm. Did find another Legendary and an Uncommon while looking, though!

- mia hollow