Beast Bug 03/17/2015 06:54 PM CDT
UNEDITED BESIDES THE NAME, my number of special attacks is not tracing correctly.

J>l at wra
Temperamental as the swathes of storm-tossed mist from which it is composed, the wraith appears extremely agitated. Bolts of electricity arc between its fingertips, their light only slightly outshone by the cold blue fire of the creature's eyes. A spinning vortex of air swirls around the Felstorm wraith, intermittently crackling into sparks of arcing lightning.

The wraith appears to be in bad shape. (Remaining life: 36%).

It is currently using the Hare fighting style. Hare stance is useful against the Serpent and Crane styles, but outmatched by the Turtle and Wolf techniques.

The wraith has no special attack charges.
J>
Your Felstorm wraith attacks Bard's aelotoi guardsman! A pathetic strike! Barely damaging.
...8 damage!
A swirling Felstorm wraith gathers a bit of energy from fighting.
J>
You notice Bard giving a quiet command to a surly aelotoi guardsman, followed immediately by the aelotoi guardsman shifting its stance.
J>
Bard's aelotoi guardsman attacks your Felstorm wraith! The attack misses by a mile.
A swirling Felstorm wraith gathers a bit of energy from defending.
Through your bond with a swirling Felstorm wraith, you sense near certainty that Archales's aelotoi guardsman is using the Turtle style of combat! The Turtle style overpowers Hare and Crane techniques but is weak against Wolf and Serpent stances. You should switch stances quickly.
J>tel wra to switch serp
You quietly command a swirling Felstorm wraith to switch into the Serpent Style of combat, an excellent counter to a surly aelotoi guardsman's Turtle Style.
Creature Roundtime 7 Seconds.
J>l at wra
Temperamental as the swathes of storm-tossed mist from which it is composed, the wraith appears extremely agitated. Bolts of electricity arc between its fingertips, their light only slightly outshone by the cold blue fire of the creature's eyes. A spinning vortex of air swirls around the Felstorm wraith, intermittently crackling into sparks of arcing lightning.

The wraith appears to be in bad shape. (Remaining life: 36%).

It is currently using the Serpent fighting style. Serpent stance is useful against the Turtle and Wolf styles, but outmatched by the Hare and Crane techniques.

The wraith has two special attack charges.
Re: Beast Bug 03/17/2015 10:13 PM CDT
I was informed it takes 3 charges to charge up a single special attack. I guess this is not a bug then.
Re: Beast Bug 03/17/2015 10:46 PM CDT

Not always. For common beasts, yes, but Rare/Legendary beasts have multiple special attacks requiring different points.
Re: Beast (Non) Bug 03/18/2015 12:02 AM CDT
>Not always. For common beasts, yes, but Rare/Legendary beasts have multiple special attacks requiring different points.

This is correct. Most beasts' special attacks take 3 charge.

A few take 1 charge, although these are usually ones that have variable strength at different charge levels.

Some take 2 charges, and are usually hit-or-miss as opposed to the scaling damage of a standard 3-point hit.

A few are 4-pointers due to their very high damage output.

And there are a couple 6-pointers, for reasons that will become obvious.

Auchand

"I have passed through fire and deep water, since we parted. I have forgotten much that I thought I knew, and learned again much that I had forgotten. I can see many things far off, but many things that are close at hand I cannot see."
Re: Beast (Non) Bug 03/18/2015 01:18 AM CDT
I've been curious about this for a bit: for beasts that have multiple specials... is there a way to select which one they use? I think I've seen a friend's beast use multiple specials randomly, if memory serves (and obviously, the aforementioned 1-3 points would probably indicated one possibility of iteration), but is there a special command other than "attack" if a beast has more than one?

"Bring me your suffering. The rattle roar of broken bones. Bring me the riot in your heart. Angry, wild and raw. Bring it all. I am not afraid of the dark."
- mia hollow
Re: Beast (Non) Bug 03/18/2015 01:46 AM CDT
There are a couple of reasons why you'd see different attacks from the same beast:

A) It does one thing when in an advantaged stance and another when disadvantaged or same, such as the willow spirit, who does damage and daze when superior or nothing at all if inferior.

B) It has an x-per-fight limit because of its special's nature. The Nascent Duskborn is a good example of this, since it steals its opponent's special attack. The Woeful Magister's attack is also once per fight because of its incredible damage potential, and after that it uses a generic special.

Auchand

"I have passed through fire and deep water, since we parted. I have forgotten much that I thought I knew, and learned again much that I had forgotten. I can see many things far off, but many things that are close at hand I cannot see."
Re: Beast (Non) Bug 03/18/2015 02:28 AM CDT
A) It does one thing when in an advantaged stance and another when disadvantaged or same, such as the willow spirit, who does damage and daze when superior or nothing at all if inferior.
B) It has an x-per-fight limit because of its special's nature. The Nascent Duskborn is a good example of this, since it steals its opponent's special attack. The Woeful Magister's attack is also once per fight because of its incredible damage potential, and after that it uses a generic special.

Whoa... interesting information, thanks!

I've seen a few opponent's beasts do specials that I'll wager fall into this category. Tangentially related: one of my favorite specials is now officially Ghostfin's chomp attack, hahahaha.

...that's right kids, you may* be able to catch a Ghost Shark.

[*I don't know if that's actually true. It could just that NPC Trainer's special pet.]

"Bring me your suffering. The rattle roar of broken bones. Bring me the riot in your heart. Angry, wild and raw. Bring it all. I am not afraid of the dark."
- mia hollow