Lithe black abyran'ra 05/17/2016 08:04 AM CDT
I am honored to share with you some beautiful clips from the test server.

[Wehnimer's, Land's End Rd.]
Vigilant guardsmen scrutinize the citizens and travelers arriving and departing through the wide gates spanning the land route into Wehnimer's Landing. The frenetic pace of the city to the south is a far cry from the deceptive calm of the wilds of Elanith outside. Two daunting towers survey the countryside and protect the town, flanking the road to the east and west. You also see a lithe black abyran'ra, a lithe black abyran'ra, a faceted faceted beryl finger-armor, a tiny grey pearl, the town gates and a large wooden barrel.
Also here: Fromer
Obvious paths: south
A lithe black abyran'ra whips a bone-bladed flaming halfling spine at Fromer!
AS: +561 vs DS: +286 with AvD: +44 + d100 roll: +83 = +402
... and hits for 188 points of damage!
Incredible smash to what used to be a stomach!
* Fromer drops dead at your feet!
The serpents upon a lithe black abyran'ra's head writhe and undulate in exultation!
You say, "In town."
The voice of Konacon asks, "What is going on over here?"
A lithe black abyran'ra swiftly raises its arms and slashes its talons at you!
A lithe black abyran'ra hurls a stream of water at you!
AS: +530 vs DS: +158 with AvD: +30 + d100 roll: +42 = +444
... and hits for 182 points of damage!
Strong blow to your abdomen!
It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...
You mentally give a sigh of relief as you remember that the Goddess Lorminstra owes you a favor.
...departing in 16 mins...
A lithe black abyran'ra undulates its coils in exultant victory!
You say, "That's illegal."
A lithe black abyran'ra slithers around the area, its sinuous coils lashing about like a whip.
From nearby, you hear Rolfard yell, "Crap three now?"
You say, "We're making new friends."

Or and getting five of them stunned (hint: get 200 ranks of Demonology and an abyran'sa):

[Beacon Hall Annex, Commons Park]
Shielded by a thick evergreen hedge, this broad expanse of lush green lawn provides a welcome respite from the chaotic world just beyond the arch. Not many steps away, a large and elegantly drooping willow provides a shady resting place. Further in and across the way, an open gazebo shelters a rope hammock, several comfortable looking pillows, and a wobbly tea cart. A pebbled path meanders over to the far corner, leading to a large glass-domed sandstone building. You also see a lithe dingy green abyran'sa, a lithe black abyran'ra that appears stunned, a lithe black abyran'ra that appears stunned, a lithe black abyran'ra that appears stunned, a lithe black abyran'ra that appears stunned, a lithe black abyran'ra that appears stunned and a lithe black abyran'ra.
Obvious paths: none

How exactly did we get so many? Tank SMC and EMC to zero, 40 Demonology ranks, and 40 Sorcerer Base ranks. Use the gold-ring version between two rooms. Then you can make a simple lich alias like so and in several minutes you too can have your own demonic horde:

demons => ;e 100.times{waitcastrt?;multifput "incant 740","healme"}

So we had the opportunity to research these priests of Lorae'tyr in unprecedented detail, and while not complete, I was able to put together an reasonable article on them: https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Lithe_black_abyran%27ra

The part where they make perpetual sanctuaries after one of their comrades dies, don't leave their happy sanctuary, and never de-spawn certainly results in an amusing combination. The trio is keeping a tight watch over Land's End, hopefully until the test server is shut down...

Thanks to Rolfard and Fromer for their help and collective amusement.
Re: Lithe black abyran'ra 05/22/2016 04:08 AM CDT
Well done.

<<... At present, the lithe black abyran'ra are the only species of lesser demons so summoned; whether this is simply a limitation of game design (coding more demons takes more time) or intentional from the theoretical mechanics of planar shifting (owing to the strange time dilation found only in Lorae'tyr) is unknown, though both are plausible.... etc.>>

I was recording their ambient scripting the other day, watching them interact with each other. If there is an IC rationalization for why it is always abyran'ra who pop out of the rift, I think a solid basis for it could be the fact that the Planar Shift rift is a temporal warp. That could just as easily pop out invasion creatures like temporal warriors and riftworms (IC reasons for Rift creatures being trapped.) So maybe it would be some side-effect of interacting with Shieltine's Ward on our plane. I would also like to see an explicitly established IC reason for magical holy weapons being necessary on these demonic.

I'm still focused on trying to get into dangerous places and doing exceedingly dangerous things. It is the ideal time to start compiling the unique things all of the creatures only do when you are dead. The problem is that a lot of those things are infrequent. It would take a long time to go through them all. I'm just glad I'm not still getting banged up by the Old Ta'Faendryl river after teleporting out.

- Xorus' player

>Level: 46
>Strongest foe vanquished: an infernal lich
Re: Lithe black abyran'ra 06/01/2016 02:01 AM CDT
>It is the ideal time to start compiling the unique things all of the creatures only do when you are dead. The problem is that a lot of those things are infrequent.

Another project close to my heart! I want to say krolvin are among my favorite for these (besides demons, duh). The corsairs in RR always crack me up, whether plundering your coins or doing a bit of dentistry.