Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/11/2015 06:37 PM CDT
"Thanks to GameMaster's Konacon work, the demon summoned from a major failure of Planar Shift (740) will now be significantly more difficult to kill. Open gateways to demonic valences at your own (and bystanders') risk!"

I summoned one of these friendly demons earlier today. They are indeed more resistant to focused implosion and more sturdy overall.

>incant 740
You begin drawing a faint, twisting symbol while softly intoning the words for Planar Shift...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
With the rune pattern of your destination burned into your memory, a deep understanding of demonic gates, and a bit of hubris, you forgo a summoning circle and daringly tear a planar rift into the air before you. A small shadowy rift begins to take form before your eyes. Suddenly, a small black void floats out of the rift and stops directly over you!
... 45 points of damage!
Left leg explodes into thousands of pieces!
You fall screaming to the ground grasping your mangled left leg!
You are stunned for 12 rounds!

The radiant burst of light engulfs you!
The dull golden nimbus surrounding you flares into life as it glows brightly for a moment.
CS: +481 - TD: +434 + CvA: -4 + d100: +96 - -5 == +144
Warding failed!
The bright light sears your skin for 10 damage!
... 15 points of damage!
Searing blast of energy to hip spins you around!
Immediately, you instinctively shut your eyes in a futile attempt to escape the blinding light; it is so bright that even through your eyelids you feel a burning pain in your eyes!
You are partially blinded!
... 5 points of damage!
Flash burns to your eye momentarily blind you.
!SP>
Estild whispers, "Make your time!"
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/11/2015 06:43 PM CDT
Edited log on Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/JCyFNW5S
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/11/2015 10:45 PM CDT
<<Estild whispers, "Make your time!">>

Someone set up us the bomb!

>A monastic lich points a skeletal finger at you and exclaims, "Your soul is forfeit!"
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/12/2015 11:47 AM CDT
I didn't include any choice abyran'ra moments in my OP. Here's one:

A lithe black abyran'ra whips its coils underneath itself swiftly, then suddenly tenses its muscles, leaping forth with astonishing speed toward you!
The black abyran'ra lashes out with its tail as it nears you, catching you around your waist as it spins in ever tighter circles! Within mere seconds, its coils wrap tightly around you, and its lidless eyes stare intently at you before it makes a sharp dive, moving fluidly to let its fangs find your neck!
... 15 points of damage!
Strike just below the jaw, nice shot to the neck!
You are stunned for 3 rounds!
You feel a fierce poison coursing through your veins!
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/13/2015 12:23 AM CDT
I thought in the past their bolt DSes were rather low, but no one seems to have tried this method...

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/13/2015 09:07 AM CDT
I seem to recall bolting one in the past. I wonder if they resist balefire? Extremely unsafe to experiment with the demon when it first popped out but I think Rolfard rendered it unable to act when he took its right arm with an acid-blood spraying cast of limb disruption. If this is what neutered the demon, it seems like a bug. It is perhaps the same bug that causes other creatures to stand around waiting to be killed after a limb disruption even though their maneuver attacks should still be available in principle.

After reading the Wizard forum yesterday, I was trying to consider the role of the sorcerer class from the perspective of someone unfamiliar with the game. I mean, if you were to just look at our spells, what would you think about sorcerers? You could produce a list but the first item that came to mind was: most effective single target destroyer.

So they design all of the toughest critters with crazy TDs and resistance to our strongest spells accordingly.
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/13/2015 11:55 AM CDT
Real sorceres don't bolt. ;-p
(The above is a personal preference I know bolting is viable and useful )
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/13/2015 01:38 PM CDT
>Real sorcerers don't bolt.

Wow. I'm glad someone finally had the courage to say it. It all just makes sense when you get it out there like that. Sorcerers don't bolt. They don't bolt.
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/13/2015 02:14 PM CDT
About a year ago I dumped all my spell aiming and never looked back. I missed target limb distrup and Focused implosion. But they are not worth over 1m exp of tps for me.
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/13/2015 02:19 PM CDT
Can't do it. The two things you miss are two things I can't give up. Plus the 2x SA is nice for runestaff defense. You start talking about anything in terms of a million xp and you second-guess though.
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/13/2015 03:26 PM CDT
Real sorceresses do bolt, at least when it's their only option.

I don't particularly like bolting, but during invasions and story-line events, everything seems to have an ungodly TD. These behemoths are untouchable with warding-based spells, even for sorcerers who don't have CSes that make Jeril cry (yes, Jeril, I remember your saying that!), but I can hit three or four of them at once with my anemic Balefire. I'd want to hang onto my spell aiming for aimed limb disruption and focused implosion anyway, but being able to participate in these events as something other than a corpse or a rescuer is important to me.
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/13/2015 03:50 PM CDT
With a good set of enhansives and a quartz orb there isn't a lot you cant hit, if you cant ward it dispel it and try again. Aimed limb disruption was very missed but then I just started casting pain in place of it and I forgot about it.

FI is the biggest hit here for me when theres something you cant ward FI for me was the go to cast , even when I had the spell aiming I wouldn't bolt I never liked it I still don't again personal preference.

As far as DS is concerned these numbers clearly change person to person because of skills and stats but if I took that million exp from spell aiming and put it into dodge, I'd lose 9 runestaff ds and gain 18 dodge ds (in guarded in double leathers.)

Id love to keep talking about my hate for spell aiming in perhaps in another folder if someone wanted to.
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/13/2015 04:37 PM CDT
Back to demons, if Silvean talks Lylia into incanting 740 a hundred times, we're bound to get another.
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/13/2015 08:23 PM CDT
>With a good set of enhansives and a quartz orb there isn't a lot you cant hit, if you cant ward it dispel it and try again.

Yes, or I could just use the bolt spell I already have as a side effect of gaining focused limb disruption and implosion and hit these big hulking beasts with a Balefire -- no enhancives or special equipment needed. In fairness, this is more about preposterously sorcerer-resistant invasion creatures than about the many wonders of bolt spells, so I'm not really arguing with you here. Just pointing out that bolt spells are a nice addition for some sorcerers, especially during events.

>Back to demons, if Silvean talks Lylia into incanting 740 a hundred times, we're bound to get another.

Silvean's pretty persuasive. I think we could make that happen. I wonder if mine would be punier than Silvean's because he's currently more buff than Lylia? Are all abyran'ra alike, or are they predicated on the summoning sorcerer's CS/TD?

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm talking myself into trying it.
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/13/2015 09:41 PM CDT
Quick stack rapid fire before the nerf and incant 740!
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/14/2015 01:30 AM CDT
<<<I'd want to hang onto my spell aiming for aimed limb disruption and focused implosion anyway, but being able to participate in these events as something other than a corpse or a rescuer is important to me. >>>

Well said! Balefire transformed my sorceress from an ineffective spectator (read: victim) of invasions, to a deadly dealer of mass destruction. Nothing on the scope of the Ewave/CoL mage, mind you. But way more fun than lying there bitterly muttering about my current state of affairs...

~ GtG
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/14/2015 02:19 AM CDT
<Balefire transformed my sorceress from an ineffective spectator (read: victim) of invasions, to a deadly dealer of mass destruction.>

Personally, I've never used Balefire in an invasion. Even if I did feel the need to use a bolt, I'd be more likely to use Fire Spirit since it always seems to deliver better crits (this could be due to most of my tests being on trolls or undead though, since there are so many of both in RR).

One of the perks of living in the small towns is that all the defenders usually join up into the same group during invasions, so doing things like the 435/open 720 combo are possible without much risk of killing other defenders (after making sure none of the invasion critters disarm, of course). One time there was even a late night invasion where another sorcerer and I were the only two high enough in level to fight so we ended up taking turns casting open 710 and open 720 (710 wasn't effective enough to actually kill much, but it did look cool).

Also, we've had some unusual invasions in the Rest over the years like the one with some sort of plant things that I somehow figured out were susceptible to Evil Eye. Even though my defenses couldn't stand up to them, I had around a 50/50 chance of warding them well enough with 717 to kill them, so I sat on one side of the drawbridge and sent my eye into the swarm on the other side and wreaked havoc.

Really, I've had more problems fighting in invasions with my sniper rogue since he has no mass attack abilities (even if he had MFIRE, it wouldn't be an improvement) and all the casters have usually cleared the room by the time he's out of RT from his first shot.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/14/2015 04:36 AM CDT
<<I mean, if you were to just look at our spells, what would you think about sorcerers? You could produce a list but the first item that came to mind was: most effective single target destroyer.>> SILVEAN

I would think there is something seriously wrong with these sadists. Who studies a magic whose sole purpose is exploding someone's limbs? It literally cannot do anything else. It works or it does not work. If it does not work, nothing happens. "Welcome to Wizard school. Today we're going to learn about fire, how to practice throwing it at things. You can use this fire to cook food, heat a house, melt metal, create light, make a distraction, work on your marksmanship! You could even use it to defend yourself! Be very careful where you point it!"

Meanwhile, in some black shadowy netherworld, through a bleeding eldritch portal of despair... "No. You cannot practice on a statue, you pathetic little wretch. It only works on sentient beings! Now, mutilate that mewling swine of a human, or we'll use you for target practice!" It works the same for everything, whether the victim is a kobold or the Balrog of Moria. Sauron would have cast Evil Eye.

Sorcery has really expanded over the years, pretty much anything "dark" in its illustration. But that's how the spells that fit the strict narrow definition work. They are the immediate destruction or disruption of specific kinds of matter, or perhaps energy in some cases, not just secondary consequences like getting burned by the heat. It is difficult to imagine a bolt spell that would fit that logic. It's all warding spells. Sorcery would make us all into walking death machines at higher levels, irrespective of the target size, so you get these huge TDs to offset what would otherwise be inherent lethality.
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/14/2015 07:47 AM CDT
I hate bolting*

*I power hunted to cap in the gs3 days merrily skipping through everything teras and the rift could toss at me DCing faces off.

A lot of my sorceres don't bolt mantra comes through in my heavily shadded post cap glasses. "Back in my day you swung a sword until you didn't have spell prep round time anymore! And then all you did was 702 719 and you liked it!" ::shakes his runestaff at you::

There is a lot you guys in the lower levels deal with that I never had to and I'm sure bolting or the need for spell aiming is real. For me after I started looking at it, it just wasn't worth it. I dumped all those points right into cmans and reveled in the fact that I couldn't be disarmed without an open roll. Sometimes the best offense is a good defense, this is the training path I'm currently taking personally. There will be a time when I come back to spell aiming I see this time looking something like this.
http://gibesonx.tumblr.com/post/126665605785
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 08/14/2015 01:22 PM CDT
Is an insane halfling a "real" sorcerer, anyway?

>Deathlog is down until next week.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 09/04/2015 11:09 AM CDT
I was driving to work this morning when someone accidentally summoned another one in TSC. I really wish I could have saw that. :(

GameMaster Estild
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 09/04/2015 12:01 PM CDT
TSC? Sorry I missed it! Do you ever train off the possibility of producing the abyran'ra with INCANT? The Wiki makes it sound like you have a 2% failure chance on INCANT no matter what and I don't know if that works in addition to a fumble chance or if there's a separate roll that happens for the demon after a failure.
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 09/04/2015 01:38 PM CDT
Any idea on the death count at least?
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 09/06/2015 09:47 AM CDT
>I was driving to work this morning when someone accidentally summoned another one in TSC. I really wish I could have saw that. :(

You're so hilarious Estild! Smart Phone notifications of all major demons summoned to Elanthia...sign me up!

Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 09/06/2015 09:47 AM CDT
> You're so hilarious Estild! Smart Phone notifications of all major demons summoned to Elanthia...sign me up!

We still haven't gotten a log of this! :(

~ Konacon
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 09/06/2015 09:50 AM CDT
I hope the notification sound is like the T-Rex roar in the original Jurassic Park. According to Wikipedia:

"Its roar is a baby elephant mixed with a tiger and an alligator, and its breath is a whale's blow."

Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 09/06/2015 11:01 PM CDT
We could still aim for those hundred casts from Lylia until the inevitable happened. With her lousy demonology, it probably wouldn't take long.

After that, I could go to the Rift, animate a vaespilon, and have it kill my hunting partners as it wanders off to open-implode in another room again; that's always exciting.

--- Lauren, Lylia's player, using sorcerous lores to MPK people before it was cool
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 09/06/2015 11:40 PM CDT
I will make sure to always have a log running before trying this in TSC.

In the name of science.

- Xorus' player
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 09/07/2015 09:54 AM CDT
>You're so hilarious Estild! Smart Phone notifications of all major demons summoned to Elanthia...sign me up!

I imagine him checking his phone and standing up stone-faced in a business meeting: "Something has come up. Hold my calls." And as long as we're playing pretend, we'll say it's the 80s; so, both his cell phone and suit shoulders are huge.
Re: Abyran'ra Visits Elanthia 09/07/2015 12:53 PM CDT
wait, it's the 80's? Then his page just started bleeping, "666 911 666 911"