Planar Shift -- let us scuff circles! 02/05/2015 12:25 PM CST
Saw the 930 change.

I just wondered, could there be a way for sorcerers to scuff their own circles? If we make a circle with the wrong chalk, we have to move rooms. If we make a circle with the right chalk and the wrong room...you guessed it, move to another room!

With groups it's just as bad. Make a circle, open the rift. If you don't have enough demonology for your friends...surprise you need to go to another room.

It's been awhile since I played with this, so I may have some modestly false statements. I still believe removing a summoning circle was really difficult. We RP'ed it once, with shuffle, stomp, pouring ale, Breeze, and anything we could imagine.

I'd be quite please with a change that let a sorcerer scuff their own circle at any time. I guess the only thing is that the same chalk draws the circle as makes the rune pattern (so, let's be sure this isn't a way to abuse circle-creation, etc).

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!
Re: Planar Shift -- let us scuff circles! 02/05/2015 12:27 PM CST
>If we make a circle with the right chalk and the wrong room...you guessed it, move to another room!

Right chalk, wrong pattern.

(Honestly, I'm not trying to ask for an Edit button by making erroneous posts...I'd rather not look silly)

Re: Planar Shift -- let us scuff circles! 02/05/2015 12:28 PM CST
Also, I'll take a 20 second RT to scuff a circle. Seems fair.

Re: Planar Shift -- let us scuff circles! 02/05/2015 12:31 PM CST
I take it back.

4 or 5 seconds.

Re: Planar Shift -- let us scuff circles! 02/05/2015 12:46 PM CST
Hah! I chortled.

Good idea, though.

Doug
Re: Planar Shift -- let us scuff circles! 02/05/2015 11:36 PM CST
Now that I've ah, had some sleep...

>With groups it's just as bad. Make a circle, open the rift. If you don't have enough demonology for your friends...surprise you need to go to another room.

>It's been awhile since I played with this, so I may have some modestly false statements. I still believe removing a summoning circle was really difficult. We RP'ed it once, with shuffle, stomp, pouring ale, Breeze, and anything we could imagine.

With groups it's different, and I'm not sure if moving rooms works or not. It is also not a point that scuffing a summoning circle will help with. In that case, we want the ability to prematurely close our own rifts.

So, those are two different things, but they are both relatively minor. They are both just little conveniences I wouldn't mind having.

Re: Planar Shift -- let us scuff circles! 02/06/2015 09:05 AM CST
Keios get on this!

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: Planar Shift -- let us scuff circles! 02/07/2015 12:45 PM CST
>Keios get on this!

Please. That's the word you forgot.

Re: Planar Shift -- let us scuff circles! 02/09/2015 03:20 PM CST
It's now possible to RUB the summoning circle, which will erase its chalk lines, allowing you to redraw it.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Planar Shift -- let us scuff circles! 02/09/2015 07:06 PM CST
http://memecrunch.com/meme/XK4U/nooice/image.png
Re: Planar Shift -- let us scuff circles! 02/09/2015 10:31 PM CST
>It's now possible to RUB the summoning circle, which will erase its chalk lines, allowing you to redraw it.

o_O

Neat-o!

Re: Planar Shift -- let us scuff circles! 02/10/2015 12:55 AM CST
As to closing the rift early, a suggestion some time ago was DISMISS RIFT.

However, I'd be okay with requiring 417/119 to dispel our own rifts, in case doing this for free seems too powerful. When I was posting possible RTs before, I was thinking of this feature (not related to the RUBing circles, now fixed yay!), since among other things it has to do with getting more people in a group through a rift in less time.

Maybe we can also make it work right before all demons jump out! :::duck:::

Re: Planar Shift -- let us scuff circles! 02/10/2015 02:50 PM CST
DAID
However, I'd be okay with requiring 417/119 to dispel our own rifts, in case doing this for free seems too powerful. When I was posting possible RTs before, I was thinking of this feature (not related to the RUBing circles, now fixed yay!), since among other things it has to do with getting more people in a group through a rift in less time.

You can now manually close the rift by casting Elemental (417) or Spirit Dispel (119) at it.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Planar Shift -- let us scuff circles! 02/10/2015 02:55 PM CST
Good changes, thanks Estild!

Doug
Re: Planar Shift -- let us scuff circles! 02/10/2015 03:07 PM CST
<3 Estild

Big heart!

Re: Planar Shift -- let us scuff circles! 02/10/2015 03:22 PM CST
Also, checked both these requests. Sorry I'm lazy about that, but for those interested...

RT for rubbing out the circle is right on par to my thinking:

>You rub the palm of your hand against the chalk lines, erasing the summoning circle.
>Roundtime: 4 sec.

As to dispelling it:

>You gesture at a shifting sky blue rift.
>The web of sky blue sorcerous energy around a shifting sky blue rift begins to flicker in erratic patterns. The portal vanishes and reappears several times in wild surges before fading entirely. Pallid skeins of mana come to life and sink back into the runes of a summoning circle, and then the chalky lines themselves disintegrate and blow away. Nothing remains of the rift or the summoning circle.
>Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

The messaging and flavor are sweet. I'm so giddy about these changes!

Re: Planar Shift -- let us scuff circles! 02/11/2015 04:13 PM CST
Hey, that's neat. I had often wanted the ability to close an open rift, and the imagery in that messaging is excellent.

Great change, thanks Estild!

Dave, Brandain's Bard
Re: Planar Shift -- let us scuff circles! 02/11/2015 05:43 PM CST
As much as I wish I could write awesome messaging, that is not the case. It's the same messaging for when the rift naturally closes on its own. Although, that probably rarely happens, so it may seem new to many people. :)

GameMaster Estild
Re: Planar Shift -- let us scuff circles! 03/05/2015 09:35 PM CST
Did anyone read the Myth Adventures series?

A king holds a magical cattle call to select a new court magician. The hero enters a scene of chaos, all of the various spell casters are pressing every advantage to gain the king's attention before the actual interviews start. As the hero manages to do this very thing himself, a competitor attempts to summon a demon into a protective circle to trump him. Another competitor scuffs part of the circle and the demon gets loose in the crowd.

The fabulously funny part is, the hero and king are going through the interview process while pointedly ignoring the demon and his poor victims. At the end of the interview, the hero and the king simply enter the castle and forget about the demon entirely.

Magarven the Mad