720 and Item Loss 04/26/2015 02:25 PM CDT
I have assumed it is the case that using focused 720 on a creature wielding someone's disarmed/dropped weapon will destroy said weapon whether it is registered or not. I have a terror of this.

Thoughts?
Re: 720 and Item Loss 04/26/2015 06:30 PM CDT
If you're worried about accidentally destroying someone's weapon, you can alway LOOK at the critter before casting it.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: 720 and Item Loss 04/26/2015 09:21 PM CDT
I need to elaborate a little. My core question: do other sorcerers ever worry about this? Secondary question: is there any chance I am wrong about a focused implosion destroying a carried and registered weapon? Third: has anyone ever vaporized an item this way?

Focused implosion is an excellent "oh #$%!" spell in swarms. It frequently kills in one cast, has the potential to stun other critters in a room, and destroys the corpse to prevent casting at it by accident while frantically slinging spells.. The drawback is the chance at destroying a weapon.

You can't, of course, take the time to look at a creature in a swarm or when hunting. Every second a creature stands in a room with you is a second it could be using to maneuver your face.

Silvean's Player
Re: 720 and Item Loss 04/26/2015 09:44 PM CDT
Implosion is inherently dangerous and can destroy items. At least...it used to be able to. It's been quite some time since the situation has presented itself. But that's all part of the counter-balance for the destructive awesomeness of implosion. It's assumed when you're sucking large creatures through tiny vacuums that you are unconcerned with whatever loot they may have been hauling. You have to admire such selfless devotion to pure destruction, no?

~ GtG (and her sorcerous friends)
Re: 720 and Item Loss 04/26/2015 10:49 PM CDT
After being away for a while, I came back and accidentally hit the focused implosion macro and destroyed Payme's bow in OTF. I replaced it. Actually I replaced it with a bow that was better than the one I destroyed. Stuff happens. Am I worried about destroying some uber 10x weapon 3 slot fusion T5 enscroll weapon? Sure. But as mentioned above you can always LOOK at a creature to see if they are carrying it. Pay attention to Lnet and the amulet for announcements of lost weapons etc.

Peace
Zhelas

(Lord Paladin walks around Droit examining his equipment.)
Lord Paladin: How does he....How does he work?
Re: 720 and Item Loss 04/26/2015 10:50 PM CDT
I'm not sure. Maybe register some really cheap weapon, and get a maneuvering creature to disarm you?

Implosion is a really great concept. It is terrible physics, but the effect is spectacular.

- Xorus' player

>A monastic lich points a skeletal finger at you and exclaims, "Your soul is forfeit!"
Re: 720 and Item Loss 04/26/2015 10:53 PM CDT
It is though totally level dependent. Sure Spell aiming affects it. To how much? Has this information been given? Sometimes it takes me 5 casts of FI to kill a level 105 Greater Water Elemental.

Peace
Zhelas

Re: 720 and Item Loss 04/26/2015 11:06 PM CDT
>It is though totally level dependent.

Yeah, it can be disappointing during invasions because of that.
Re: 720 and Item Loss 04/26/2015 11:16 PM CDT
>>Yeah, it can be disappointing during invasions because of that.

Or when the GM in charge of the invasion leaves the justice system running? You implode the creature and when the next wave comes. The deputy/Constable hauls your butt to jail. You file a REPORT and then you are found not guilty. The only problem in some towns you have to streak nekked through the invading creatures to pick up your items.

Peace
Zhelas

Re: 720 and Item Loss 04/26/2015 11:20 PM CDT
>The only problem in some towns you have to streak nekked through the invading creatures to pick up your items.

Not with a rapture cloak! Never Naked (tm) or your silver back.
Re: 720 and Item Loss 04/26/2015 11:22 PM CDT
<<It is though totally level dependent.>> - Zhelas

I'm not necessarily advocating for it, but this has never really made sense to me. I would understand focused implosion being something you could dodge as a maneuver, but level versus level does not seem like it should matter. With elemental wave it makes sense that being more "powerful" lets you withstand it, but with a void it would be how close it is and purely physical factors.

Unfocused implosion would make sense as level dependent. It is just odd that you could put a void of any size right on top of a gnome and have them laugh it off.

- Xorus' player

>A monastic lich points a skeletal finger at you and exclaims, "Your soul is forfeit!"
Re: 720 and Item Loss 04/26/2015 11:24 PM CDT
I know I can always LOOK, and if I'm using it because I'm too lazy to care about loot, I do. However, because it's also very much an "oh, $#!^" spell, I'm wondering if there might not be some mechanics tweak that could take place here similar to what happens with Evil Eye. I don't use EE much myself because of Lylia's current level compared to what she's fighting (98 and counting -- oh, so close!), but after going to Nelemar with Silvean and watching him stare a few things into submission, I noticed they now drop any boxes they were carrying. (I imagine it looks a little like this: http://i.imgur.com/1mQrV.gif.) If we have good enough aim that we can focus a temporary rift in the fabric of reality just near our prey, could it be possible to keep any weapons it held from disappearing into the void too?

I recall having to ask for help to get my vultite broadsword out of the clutches of a krolvin warfarer back in the days when we dropped stuff upon death. Weapon and shield hunts were exciting, and it was rewarding to participate in them as an item rescuer instead of a hapless and weaponless adventurer. I'm emphatically not in favor of candifying the game in general. When dealing with other people's items, though, it may make sense to avoid the headache of replacing something lost to the void. Also, the messaging could be fun if, say, the hand holding that vultite broadsword got severed as the rip in space closed around it. The only thing better than getting back your broadsword is getting it back with your thieving enemy's hand still wrapped around its hilt, surely.

It's great that 720 now has far more utility than it did back in the day when it only existed in its open form, but if this is a simple change -- and I realize it probably isn't -- then that might be something to consider. If I do something in a panic and lose my own item, that's bad; if I lose someone else's item, I'd feel really awful.
Re: 720 and Item Loss 04/26/2015 11:31 PM CDT
>>It is just odd that you could put a void of any size right on top of a gnome and have them laugh it off.

Just mentioning.

Player Character FI is not the same spell as Creature FI.

Peace
Zhelas

Re: 720 and Item Loss 04/27/2015 04:14 AM CDT
<<<Also, the messaging could be fun if, say, the hand holding that vultite broadsword got severed as the rip in space closed around it. The only thing better than getting back your broadsword is getting it back with your thieving enemy's hand still wrapped around its hilt, surely.>>>

That is a pretty freaking awesome idea. :)

~ GtG
Re: 720 and Item Loss 04/27/2015 11:13 AM CDT
I'm less sure about creature's carrying people's weapons.

If the item is registered and laying on the ground, in principle, a player-cast void will not take it. A creature-cast void can always do this, though.

I also sucked up someone's bow this way once. I was assisting someone hunting, and the place was getting pretty ugly so I just wanted to quickly clear out part of the room. I missed the line several seconds earlier where my friend was disarmed, and apparently had never registered this weapon.

I replaced it with a better one.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog