Old people problems 02/27/2015 06:15 PM CST

Looking for insight...I'm bumping up against an annoying wall, admittedly as problems go this is a pretty lame one...I am running out of useful things to train in other than the rather daunting and painful task of going for the dreaded 101 ranks of dodge. I'm strongly considering 1x in trading, but as a dark elf, with a human rogue who is already over 1x Jurp only sells what is required for bounties, I leave everything else for the less hated race.

Thoughts and advice as to what I could spend points on that might provide value are welcome.

Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Shield Use.........................| 201 101
Combat Maneuvers...................| 201 101
Brawling...........................| 201 101
Physical Fitness...................| 201 101
Arcane Symbols.....................| 302 202
Magic Item Use.....................| 302 202
Spell Aiming.......................| 302 202
Harness Power......................| 302 202
Elemental Mana Control.............| 302 202
Spirit Mana Control................| 302 202
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 50 10
Elemental Lore - Earth.............| 50 10
Elemental Lore - Fire..............| 50 10
Elemental Lore - Water.............| 50 10
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 190 90
Sorcerous Lore - Demonology........| 202 102
Sorcerous Lore - Necromancy........| 200 100
Survival...........................| 201 101
Perception.........................| 201 101
Climbing...........................| 201 101
Swimming...........................| 201 101
First Aid..........................| 201 101
Pickpocketing......................| 10 2

--Jurp

PS obviously 3x in spells, but not posting the split because I don't want this to get bogged down with debates about better/worse allocations.
Re: Old people problems 02/27/2015 06:50 PM CST

I would go for blessings lore. lots of use in 100s and scrolls
Re: Old people problems 02/27/2015 08:04 PM CST
>I would go for blessings lore. lots of use in 100s and scrolls

I considered this, but I can't remember the last time I was diseased, poisoned, or for that matter warded, and since effect from scrolls tends to be halved for unknown circles, the benefit seems dramatically less than dodge, if less painful to acquire.

appreciate the idea though.
Re: Old people problems 02/27/2015 09:33 PM CST

the other thing I see missing that immediately affects our spells is MOC. you won't need 101 ranks.
Re: Old people problems 02/27/2015 10:13 PM CST
*At least 25 ranks of MOC for focused implosion stuns and FoF offset affecting 2 foes.

*2x Perception

*3x harness power

*Are elemental lores still worth the cost at 20 ranks in each for Dark Catalyst?
Re: Old people problems 02/28/2015 05:33 AM CST
Here is what I would do:

(1) Get two more ranks of elemental lore, as a matter of principle.

(2) Get 7 more ranks of armor for minimum magic hindrance when using MjE scrolls offensively.

(3) Drop spirit summoning lore to 181 and train in blessing lore to 21. Twenty ranks of blessing lore gets you a persistent 209. There is some minor benefit from the 21st rank that I can't remember.

(4) Get 10 ranks of MoC.

(5) After that, rotate among dodge, perception, harness power and at least one other skill. The other skill(s) should be a fun, novel and inefficient use of your TPs.
Re: Old people problems 02/28/2015 10:21 AM CST

>(3) Drop spirit summoning lore to 181 and train in blessing lore to 21.

he only has 90 ranks of summoning lore, 190 is the bonus
Re: Old people problems 02/28/2015 10:44 AM CST
<< he only has 90 ranks of summoning lore, 190 is the bonus >>

In that case, I recommend eventually maxing out spirit lore with 181/21 split between summoning and blessing. I would focus on summoning lore first.
Re: Old people problems 02/28/2015 11:01 AM CST
I was looking at the wrong column on elemental lore too. So you can pretty much just ignore my entire first post in this thread.

I strongly recommend additional elemental lore training for DC. Although I cannot document exactly how much it helps, I did some research a while back at 0 ranks and at 26 ranks of fire lore. The crit rank was approximately one higher for all warding results at 26 ranks than at 0 ranks.

Virilneus also collected data at 10 ranks of fire lore. When I put his data in the mix, the chart didn't look right. The best fit lines for 0 ranks and 26 ranks were nearly parallel, but the line for 10 ranks was about the same as zero ranks for low warding results and about the same as 26 ranks for high warding results. I am concerned that I did not import his data correctly.

Both Virilneus and I did all of our research on Seers in OTF using only the fire crit result , because fire is always the first crit.

Someday, I'll update the research with 50 ranks. Someday.

Anyway, think of the benefit of a higher crit rank on each of DC's four crits.
Re: Old people problems 02/28/2015 11:57 AM CST
The most interesting thing about the posted skills is the 1x perception. Since a sorcerer is able to hunt and perform a variety of other tasks upon reaching level 100, there's a certain amount of subjectivity to capped training choices.

For me, I decided to pursue 3x spell research, 1x combat maneuvers, and 2x perception. This is the no-frills path allowing for maximum CS and maximum skill-based maneuver defense. I read another post on this forum some time ago that spoke of this same plan in such obvious terms that it suggested a sorcerer needs to be double cap (enough to get all of these skills) before having the freedom to make some fun choices. Obviously that's not true; you can do whatever you want but the point isn't without value.

Perception is such a varied and valuable skill, however, that it makes a lot of sense to privilege it in a post-cap training plan.
Re: Old people problems 02/28/2015 12:10 PM CST
>I did some research a while back at 0 ranks and at 26 ranks of fire lore. (KARDIOS)

The V. data is located here:

http://www.virilneus.com/blog/2009/06/18/719-lore-benefit-research/

I have read a GM statement that says the elemental lores offer "diminishing returns" after 10 ranks. I have read a player statement saying that the bonus "is supposed to zero out after 20 ranks."
Re: Old people problems 02/28/2015 01:28 PM CST
>Perception is such a varied and valuable skill, however, that it makes a lot of sense to privilege it in a post-cap training plan.

This seems far less depressing than dodge. Definitely think I'll start there.

>Get 7 more ranks of armor for minimum magic hindrance when using MjE scrolls offensively.

Also a good call.

>I strongly recommend additional elemental lore training for DC.

I've considered this, but heard so much conflicting data on the subject I kept debating whether it is worth it. I suppose it may be time to find out.

>>Get 10 ranks of MoC.

Distant fourth, but might be worth it for bolt splash damage. I despise implosion, so benefits related to that spell don't matter to me. Similarly, nothing I hunt lives long enough to take advantage of FoF.

> Drop spirit summoning lore to 181 and train in blessing lore to 21. Twenty ranks of blessing lore gets you a persistent 209. There is some minor benefit from the 21st rank that I can't remember.

This seems like a lot of effort unless you hunt OTF, which I avoid at all cost, or if I joined GoS. My 130 randomness is pretty minor, and the rest seems to be all about web unless I'm missing something. Am I? Granted, this still may happen at some point if I stick it out that long.

> 3x harness power

nearly as painful as dodge (32PTPs per mana point) I think I would actually do the dodge training first.

Thanks to all for the input. Far less depressing than I had thought. I am also trying to decide if I have the ambition to pick up archery, but that's a debate for another day.

--Jurp

Re: Old people problems 02/28/2015 01:28 PM CST
Below are all of the old GM posts that I saved, including the "polynomial equation" post.

GS3-NILVEN

Dark Catalyst Updated · on 9/30/2003 11:22:12 PM 3169

Dark Catalyst has been updated to take into account the effects of Elemental Lores. More specifically, it does more damage for a particular critical type if you have training in the appropriate Lore skill. The spell functions exactly the same as it did before for players with no lore training.

Note: Lightning criticals are solely effected by Air lore as opposed to Air and Water lore like wizard bolts.

Nilven

GS3-NILVEN

Re: Has anyone testing the lores and 719 yet? · on 10/2/2003 7:49:37 PM 23563

Elemental Lore training does not add extra flares.

Nilven

GS3-NILVEN

Re: Has anyone testing the lores and 719 yet? · on 10/2/2003 8:29:45 PM 23565

>It should.<

No, DC flares are very powerful. Adding additional flares would be overpowering, adding to the damage/critical strength of existing flares is not.

Nilven

GS4-NILVEN

Re: elemental lore and DC · on 7/14/2005 8:21:04 AM 5567

Elemtan Lore helps with both damage and crit.

Nilven

GS4-NILVEN

Re: elemental lore and DC · on 7/14/2005 1:17:06 PM 5577

>Nilven, thank you for responding. Do you care to explain a bit more? Does it always help, is there a random roll? I how does it help with crits? I would love to have my DC be more powerful, but nearly every sorcerer tells me not to train in elemental lore fire or otherwize. They tell me it was tested alot and the effects are not noticable.<

1) It always helps.
2) It ups the critical rank on a diminishing returns basis.

Nilven

GS4-NILVEN

Re: elemental lore and DC · on 7/17/2005 3:50:54 PM 5612

The spell's bonus works off ranks. Benefit starts to be seen from 3 ranks and onwards. Diminishing returns kick in at 10 ranks.

Nilven

GS4-NILVEN

Re: Elemental Lore - Seed · on 11/11/2005 12:08:41 AM 7029

The elemental lore formula for Dark Catalyst doesn't follow any of the lore summation charts. It use a polynomial equation.

Nilven
Re: Old people problems 02/28/2015 01:38 PM CST

This is the chart I produced with Virilneus' and my data combined:

http://i.imgur.com/ezWXW0f.jpg
Re: Old people problems 02/28/2015 02:52 PM CST
>Similarly, nothing I hunt lives long enough to take advantage of FoF.

I've had FoF problems during invasions and in some of those teeming, temporary hunting grounds.
Re: Old people problems 02/28/2015 06:19 PM CST
Dark Catalyst's (719) Elemental Lore bonus is a bit convoluted. I will tell you this: at 10 ranks of the appropriate lore, it almost adds one crit rank to the relevant damage cycle, at 50 lore ranks it adds 2 crit ranks, and at 100 lore ranks it adds 3 crit ranks. It's a flat modifier and the warding margin is not a factor. If you're wanting to crit kill with Dark Catalyst, the lore benefit is pretty good, although admittedly, you don't receive much other benefit with those ranks (at least until the Elemental Lore Review for the Minor Elemental spell circle).

GameMaster Estild
Re: Old people problems 02/28/2015 06:33 PM CST
Thanks, Estild!
Re: Old people problems 02/28/2015 06:35 PM CST
>>the Elemental Lore Review for the Minor Elemental spell circle

Ahhh! The tease!

Doug
Re: Old people problems 03/01/2015 01:29 AM CST
Most likely not your play style, but you can pick a lot of boxes with just 40 ranks in each of the two skills.

It's pretty much an alternate way to get some free experience if you're sitting around town or helping younger adventurers out.

Also, thanks for filling us in on some specific details of Elemental Lore and DC, Estild! Word on the street was always that it's some horrible polynomial, but the information beyond that was still somewhat limited.

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes
Re: Old people problems 03/01/2015 08:49 AM CST
First, thank you Estild! This will be very helpful to Sorcerers who are deciding how many training points to invest in lores.

Second, don't be confused by this sentence from Estild's post: "It's a flat modifier and the warding margin is not a factor." A higher warding margin will result in a higher crit level, but the size of the warding margin will not affect how much elemental lore ranks increase the crit level. This sentence tells that if you were to plot crit level results, as I attempted to do in Post 204, then the lines (or curves, as the case may be) would be exactly parallel.

Third, my opinion is that if you have a choice between triple training in spells and training in elemental lores, then you should triple in spells, at least until the elemental lore review is completed. A high CS will increase the crit level with DC and will make all of your other spells more powerful too.

Fourth, don't forget that crit randomization[1] applies to DC crits. Even if your CS and lore training is high enough to always get a rank 9 crit, you won't, because of randomization. Furthermore, even a rank 9 crit won't kill the target if it hits the wrong location (arm, leg, hand).

The difficult question: If you decide to train in elemental lore, how should you allocate your ranks among the four elemental lores? Should you spread your ranks evenly, or concentrate on just one or two lores? I would spread my ranks evenly. I would first get 10 ranks in a single lore, then 10 in another and so on until I had 10 in all four lores. Then I would spread additional ranks evenly until fully doubled.

Against the right target, DC is a fearsome weapon.

- - - - -

[1] https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Critical#Critical_Randomization
Re: Old people problems 03/02/2015 03:31 AM CST
>The difficult question: If you decide to train in elemental lore, how should you allocate your ranks among the four elemental lores? Should you spread your ranks evenly, or concentrate on just one or two lores? I would spread my ranks evenly. I would first get 10 ranks in a single lore, then 10 in another and so on until I had 10 in all four lores. Then I would spread additional ranks evenly until fully doubled.

I agree that you go in 10 rank steps. You start from Fire since it triggers first, and go down the list. Just my two cents.

Also, I agree gaining CS ranks is generally going to be more powerful. I had used those data to make the point more clearly sometime within the last year I think.

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes
Re: Old people problems 03/06/2015 08:01 PM CST
>The difficult question: If you decide to train in elemental lore, how should you allocate your ranks among the four elemental lores? Should you spread your ranks evenly, or concentrate on just one or two lores? I would spread my ranks evenly. I would first get 10 ranks in a single lore, then 10 in another and so on until I had 10 in all four lores. Then I would spread additional ranks evenly until fully doubled.

based on Estild's info, I agree for the first 10 ranks, beyond that, not so much. Personally I see 2 options for lore training, 100, 50, 10, 10, or 50, 50, 50,50. In either case, I would recommend working up to the 10, 50, 100 thresholds in each before moving to the next, but that's just taking the statement at face value...if there is some polynomial behind that, maybe there's incremental value, I'll take note and share as I work on it.

--Jurp
Re: Old people problems 03/06/2015 09:52 PM CST
Jurp
...if there is some polynomial behind that, maybe there's incremental value, I'll take note and share as I work on it.

There definitely is. The numbers I provided were for reference and not threshold ranks.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Old people problems 03/07/2015 02:54 AM CST
What order is the polynomial? Does it involve exponentials and imaginary numbers?

</snarky physicist>

Re: Old people problems 03/07/2015 10:52 AM CST
<< There definitely is. The numbers I provided were for reference and not threshold ranks. >>

After 20 minutes of thinking about the three data points, Eureqa came up with this answer:
CritAdd = Ranks/(sqrt(Ranks) + sqrt(Ranks - sqrt(Ranks)) + sqrt(Ranks + Ranks^2/(Ranks + sqrt(Ranks - sqrt(Ranks - sqrt(Ranks))))))

R^2 Goodness of Fit=0.98971864

Somehow, I doubt that's really it. :)
Re: Old people problems 03/07/2015 10:21 PM CST
I have another Eureqa formula, if anybody is interested. Because we know that 10 ranks is "almost" 1 crit rank, I used 0.95, which could be a big problem with so few data points. Here are the data points we know:

RanksCrit Adder
10Almost 1

One problem is that this formula produced a crit adder of 0.55 at 10 ranks, which should not qualify as "almost" one rank. Eureqa found some other formulas that work perfectly with the above data, but those formulas used a ceiling function, which would effectively mean there would be widely staggered thresholds.

CritAdd = 6*Ranks/(100 + Ranks)

"R^2 Goodness of Fit" = 0.97737753
Re: Old people problems 03/07/2015 10:36 PM CST
If I change the data as shown below, based on the assumption that the first two ranks don't affect the outcome, then Eureqa comes up with a different formula.

RanksCrit Adder
8Almost 1

CritAdd = 0.713333333333333 + 0.0301388888888889*Ranks - 6.94444444444445e-5*Ranks^2

"R^2 Goodness of Fit" = 1

It has the benefit of dividing by 33, which GMs like to do for unknown reasons.