Runestaff Preferences 05/30/2017 07:38 PM CDT
What do people like for runestaff abilities in order of preference? Which of the various abilities are the most useful to you? Elemental flares? Which type? Acuity? I'm guessing ensorcelled is a must-have.

My warmage has hit an area where he has to switch to the tactics of a pure to be effective. His 4x +10 HP bonus runestaff is helpful but I'm looking for suggestions on what could be better.

Thanks.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Runestaff Preferences 05/30/2017 07:49 PM CDT
Just about any of the ones on this list (excepting the carved rowan runestaff, of course).

https://gswiki.play.net/List_of_Enhancive_Spell_Knowledge_Items

The interesting thing is that the runestaves on that list often have other / even more enticing properties - but don't get discussed much.

On the other hand, I like the acuity runestaves, too. I'm not too much into flares, myself. But I may be the odd elf out on that one. As far as encorcelling - sure. You're, um. . . not Voln, right? :)

Doug
Re: Runestaff Preferences 05/30/2017 08:05 PM CDT
I frequently use a straight up runestave with no additional flares - generally speaking I see flares as a small bonus and not any sort of game changer when hunting. Flares I do/have used:

- I sometimes utilize a plasma flaring runestave when hunting and find the flares a nice flare to use on Teras (at cap).
- I've used elemental flares and if you are hunting elementally disadvantaged critters that's a good route to go (e.g. fire vs. cold critters).
- My low level sorcerer uses a +2 mana flaring runestave which made a noticable difference early on. My hunting partner, also a low level sorcerer was running out of mana and switching to wands during our hunts where I was able to continue the hunt using my own mana.
- I tried using an acuity runestave when they first came out and was completely unimpressed. Since then they have opened up the range (e.g. you can get 6x acuity off the shelf at DR) which might help somewhat. My impression was that you would generally do better with a damage flaring runestave vs. relying on acuity. Note: As a wizard you are mostly looking at AS based attacks or CS based attacks where the margin of warding doesn't make much difference. As a CS based caster (e.g. Empath, Sorcerer) where warding margin drives better results I think Acuity is a better choice.
- Ensorcell - I put this in the same category as acuity but since it doesn't take the flaring slot go ahead and add it to some other runestave if you like. I know some folks have ensorcelled their acuity runestaves and while I can't speak to the combination from personal experience I imagine there is some fun in seeing your AS / CS numbers jump up periodically (As a wizard, I'd still look to combing ensorcell with a flare if I was going to bother though).

Overall I would pick something that you will have fun with or that whatever you are hunting is weak to.

My two silver worth.

-- Robert
Re: Runestaff Preferences 05/30/2017 08:07 PM CDT
>> Doug's post.

Ahahahaha... okay sure. Any runestave which gives you spell knowledge of an additional spell is fair game too. :p

-- Robert
Re: Runestaff Preferences 05/30/2017 10:53 PM CDT
Flares are better than acuity for a wizard because you generally do not have to worry about your spells hitting the creature. Your choice of flare is mostly preference, depending on what you hunt. Of course some elements have better crit tables than others. Some relevant enhancives (DEX, Spell Aim) are nice. No reason to not ensorcell.
Re: Runestaff Preferences 05/31/2017 09:38 AM CDT
Personally, I'm a fan of mana flares, because any time it happens it means that much longer I can spend in the field. (When my Bard is not using his Sonic Runestaff, he's using a mana-flaring runestaff. I went through the entire Illoke Stronghold [~8 levels] with the mana flarer because they held weapons--so getting back +3 mana from a 2-mana VibChant was a bargain--but switched back to the Sonic for the krag yeti & dwellers because they do not.)
I think that the mana flares would be even more powerful with 1-mana Shockbolt under RapidFire.
Re: Runestaff Preferences 05/31/2017 12:56 PM CDT
Super bubble flares (I think I have the only runestaff with them, not completely sure) have saved me from death countless times.

~ Methais
Re: Runestaff Preferences 06/01/2017 03:44 PM CDT
Thanks for all the responses!

After playing around for a little while I've come to the conclusion that at the very least a 0x off the shelf runestaff with 411 is a great cheap 4x flaring runestaff for a wizard.

The other options I have available...

4x earth (impact) flaring with +6 DEX bonus that helps bolt AS
4x void flaring with +2 HP ranks for a little extra mana

So the 4x earth DEX staff wins for now.

I have a rowan staff that is the reported 1x of rowan with no other qualities a bard can loresing but it will not take 411 to make it 5x with attunement flares. I'll assist about this.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Runestaff Preferences 06/01/2017 06:05 PM CDT
Are you earth ATTUNEd with EL:E 18 ranks training?

Just checking - the rules around 'attuned and trained' feel . . . squishy, until you try them out several times.

For example, if you're fire ATTUNEd, but only have EL:E training, you need to ATTUNE RANDOM, and cast until your random cast aligns with your lore training.

Details on the wiki: https://gswiki.play.net/Elemental_Blade_(411)

Doug
Re: Runestaff Preferences 06/01/2017 06:09 PM CDT
My wizard is Air attuned with 30 ranks of EL:A. He can 411 plain 1x weapons to make them 5x with air flares.

Except the rowan staff he just acquired today. My assist is still out on that.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Runestaff Preferences 06/01/2017 06:09 PM CDT
Roger dodger! Good luck. :)

Doug
Re: Runestaff Preferences 06/01/2017 08:39 PM CDT
AGI/DEX enhancives are always worth thinking about really hard, at the very least. The fact that yours is to the bonus (so, +12 stat) is really juicy.

For helping with Earthen Fury, if nothing else... :)
Re: Runestaff Preferences 06/03/2017 08:30 AM CDT
>My wizard is Air attuned with 30 ranks of EL:A. He can 411 plain 1x weapons to make them 5x with air flares.

>Except the rowan staff he just acquired today. My assist is still out on that.

Could you please bug the item for me?

I can e-blade a plain rowan runestaff in testing, so I am curious whether your runestaff has something on it to prevent it from taking.

~Contemplar~
Re: Runestaff Preferences 06/03/2017 04:25 PM CDT
Could you please bug the item for me?
I can e-blade a plain rowan runestaff in testing, so I am curious whether your runestaff has something on it to prevent it from taking.
~Contemplar~

Then it's most likely some additional quality of the item I can't see. Bug repped as requested.

Wouldn't you know it? I just found another rowan runestaff in a pawnshop that took 411 no problem. Now I have a 5x air flaring runestaff that cost only 9k.

Thanks for checking it out.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Runestaff Preferences 06/03/2017 08:37 PM CDT
>Then it's most likely some additional quality of the item I can't see. Bug repped as requested.

>Wouldn't you know it? I just found another rowan runestaff in a pawnshop that took 411 no problem. Now I have a 5x air flaring runestaff that cost only 9k.

>Thanks for checking it out.

Thanks for the bug item, that helps me locate the source of the problem. The staff does have some additional qualities that would prevent 411 from taking. Although, nothing that is mechanical, but you might want to play around with it to see if it has any nifty features...

<whistle>

~Contemplar~