Capped Skill Ideas 05/06/2017 11:08 AM CDT
Hi all,

I recently capped my wizard (8MM exp) and am considering changing my skills. Stats are maxed. I want to stay "pure" (enchanting, recharging) but thinking of decreasing spells so I can get a lot of lore skills to help with hunting. Any recommendations are welcome!

(at level 100), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Physical Fitness...................| 201 101
Arcane Symbols.....................| 201 101
Magic Item Use.....................| 250 150
Spell Aiming.......................| 302 202
Harness Power......................| 201 101
Elemental Mana Control.............| 201 101
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 102 24
Perception.........................| 201 101
Climbing...........................| 132 36
Swimming...........................| 132 36

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 101

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 101

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 84
Re: Capped Skill Ideas 05/06/2017 11:26 AM CDT
My opinion of prioritizing what to max out once you reach cap:

3x Spells
2x Lores
2x Harness Power (you can swap HP and lores if you prefer)
2x EMC

Depending on your playstyle, you might want to move EMC up the list. Mainly if you plan on using Rapid Fire a lot, so you can get rid of the cooldown.

~ Methais
Re: Capped Skill Ideas 05/06/2017 12:11 PM CDT
>> Any recommendations are welcome!

Most of us capped types will consider one thing that impacts our skill selections that I want to ask you if you've considered.

We each tend to choose a location to become 'home' or 'the champion of' or 'the defender of' or that we just like. For some capped wizards, that's Nelemar, for a few that might be OTF. For a couple, that's the Sanctum or Plane 4 / the Scatter. Some like war-camps or the Confluence and choose the town rather than the hunting areas. Some like to spread their fame and power to several of these locations.

But - the creatures you are most likely to challenge with your capped wizard will help in some ways define some of your choices. So keep that in mind, and pick one or two if you haven't already.

Methais suggests 3x spells to start. That's a reasonable suggestion. In your case, though - especially with enchanting / recharging / hunting, I think I'd differ a bit.

It might be worth your time to go to 76 or so ranks of Minor Elemental and focus first on lores. There's a lot of differing opinions I'm sure. But I would encourage you to consider 60 ranks EL:E, 50 ranks EL:F, some ranks (5 minimum, check the charts!) EL:W to build your mana pool. All lores have some uses, but no lore presently gives a significant advantage to take to the max. That may come in time, but for now blending them together seems to fit best. The order and thresholds will be driven somewhat by the area you choose to frequent. Ultimately, I think the best balance is a balanced split - but I'm also somewhat prejudiced there.

Even ahead of 3x spells, as a pure I'd suggest you pursue HP to 2X next. In fact, it's important enough that I wonder if it shouldn't be first ahead of lores. But it's still largely choice.

EMC is a great call, too. And then I would start rounding it out with spell ranks - Wizard first, and perhaps overtrain it beyond 101. This again will be somewhat dependent on the area you frequent. And, it appears more and more like our game design is going to put singular power spells in the profession circles, and so overtraining there might be worth your time. It'll be a while before you get there, though - and who knows for sure which direction we'll head in the next decade?

Depending on your play style and the location, you might gain some advantage by reducing your MIU to 1x for the near term as well. Put MIU and AS on your well-post cap list and go after the bigger things Methais mentions first.

Doug
Re: Capped Skill Ideas 05/08/2017 11:23 AM CDT
Mathias & Doug,

So it's really just each person's personal preference to focus on those four areas to maximize Spells (various benefits), Mana points (HP), Mana recovery (EMC), Lores (various benefits for attack or defense depending on play style). No "wrong" way to move ahead at this point. Sounds good to me! Thanks guys.
Re: Capped Skill Ideas 05/08/2017 11:26 AM CDT
Sorry Methais"! Screwed up your name!
Re: Capped Skill Ideas 05/08/2017 11:29 AM CDT
>>No "wrong" way to move ahead at this point.

One of the best things about the wizard profession! But certain goals do benefit from a certain focus.

Forgot to mention, while the test server is available, you could try cutting back the areas you want to cut back and experiment with the results!

Doug