Spell Progression 09/10/2016 11:54 AM CDT
Hey everyone,

Just back after a very long break. I have a level 25 wizard with 18 ranks in Major, 15 in Minor, and 20 in Wizard. I hear 425 is a must-have, but should I FIXSKILLS to get it now? If so, what am I taking 10 ranks out of?

Thanks.
Re: Spell Progression 09/10/2016 12:01 PM CDT
I'm thinking you have other training that might be considered first.

You're just a hair over 2.1 x level trained in spells. For most wizards, 2.25 to 2.5 is probably a good goal in general. That's 62 (at 2.5-ish), and you have 53 right now. That's almost what you're looking for.

The real question, I think - what else are you training in?

Doug
Re: Spell Progression 09/10/2016 12:05 PM CDT
Spell training:
- Target to have 513 at 13th
- Target to have 425 at 25th
- Target to have 516 as early as you can manage (16th-20th)

With your current TP investment into spells you could try:

I'd try to get 913 back asap after which it then depends on where you want to focus.

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: Spell Progression 09/10/2016 12:50 PM CDT
>>The real question, I think - what else are you training in?

Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 20 4
Physical Fitness...................| 108 26
Arcane Symbols.....................| 66 14
Magic Item Use.....................| 152 52
Spell Aiming.......................| 152 52
Harness Power......................| 152 52
Elemental Mana Control.............| 128 34
Elemental Lore - Fire..............| 136 38
Climbing...........................| 70 15
Swimming...........................| 10 2
First Aid..........................| 108 26

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 18

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 15

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 20
Re: Spell Progression 09/10/2016 01:52 PM CDT
So I like a lot of what I see here. I have some suggestions and I think others will chime in with opinions, as well!

We'll start with Robert's suggestion of dropping to 911 and just taking it out of spells. Yes - but. . . let's keep 913. So that frees up 7 spells to add to your Minor Elemental. And I'd suggest to you that you're probably not getting the bang for your training points in First Aid and Elemental Lore: Fire. You may feel differently, but until mid-game (levels 50 to 60) I wouldn't worry overly much about lores. Here's a comparison chart that should work, but be sure to plug it into your trainer to confirm against your actual training points.

When looking over this chart, keep in mind a couple of points: This is going to free up more points than you need - and it is absolutely ok to bank points forward and use them in 'tight' years. You can also, at your choice, spend as much as you can - but you might be trading your future off for a short time.

Skill Name Current Suggested Justification
Ranks Ranks
Armor Use.......................... 4 4 Keep same (assumes full leathers)
Physical Fitness................... 26 26 Keep same (1x for life!)
Arcane Symbols..................... 14 14 Strongly consider taking this to 1x - cheap!
Magic Item Use..................... 52 26 Saves 52 MP (a magic rank is a magic rank in DS)
Spell Aiming....................... 52 52 Keep same (2x for life!)
Harness Power...................... 52 52 Keep same (2x for life, more if you can)
Elemental Mana Control............. 34 26 Saves 32 MP (early years, 1x then add as points free up)
Elemental Lore - Fire.............. 38 0 Saves 252 MP!! (mid-game, start adding in lores to suit)
Climbing........................... 15 15 Keep same
Swimming........................... 2 2 Consider upping this a tad (10?)
First Aid.......................... 26 26 Take this to 40 or so, then stop
Frees up:.......................... 336 MP You don't need all of these - only 160(?) MP

This creates options! Now, you could possibly:

1) Back out enough skills (as recommended above) to get 160 MP - then add 10 ranks to MnE to reach 425
2) Back out 7 spells from Wizard (to 913) and enough skills to get 24 MP - then add 10 ranks to MnE to reach 425
3) Back out all the skills recommended above to get 336 MP:
- use 160 to get MnE to 425,
- use 32 to get to 520,
- use 12 to get to 1x in AS,
- use 48 to get to 10 in swimming
- bank the rest (74? if my maffs right) for future needs, or spend some and bank the rest

The trade-offs in option 3? You get 425 and 520 (you'll want this soon!) but you give up a slight amount of damage in fire spells (EL:F to 0) and you might experience trouble activating some magic items (for a short time).

Hope others chime in, too!

Doug
Re: Spell Progression 09/10/2016 02:48 PM CDT
Some surprising things. You sure about the lore thing? I'm getting some nice flares on 906- or is that not tied to the lore?
Re: Spell Progression 09/10/2016 02:55 PM CDT
If you are having fun with the flares you might consider keeping some / all of the fire lore.

The opportunity cost at this point is about 4 additional spell ranks that might benefit you more.

Since there is a diminishing return on the flare chance from EL:Fire you might also consider stopping at around 20 ranks (18% chance) or 25 ranks (21%) EL:Fire until later on in your training.

https://gswiki.play.net/Minor_Fire_(906)

-- Robert

Re: Spell Progression 09/10/2016 02:58 PM CDT
>>or is that not tied to the lore?

Yes, it is. I should better have asked a question for you to consider first.

With 38 ranks in EL:F for your 906 spell you get the following benefits (from https://gswiki.play.net/Minor_Fire_(906) )

.038 DF increase
21% chance of 2 additional fire criticals (from wiki) / 27% chance (from formula)

Criticals are always fun! They can sometimes hit vital areas and cause death. So the real question is - does it happen often enough (at 27% chance) that you can rely on it for your hunting?

Note: This ability unlocks at 10 ranks of EL:F for 10% chance. So it may well be worth retaining some of the EL:F training you have. But just note, it's a LOT of MP points tied up right now, when you need them.

Doug
Re: Spell Progression 09/10/2016 03:12 PM CDT
I see. May need to play around and see if 10 ranks are feasible. You said it's an option later- about when would that be?
Re: Spell Progression 09/10/2016 03:26 PM CDT
>> You said it's an option later- about when would that be?

I usually recommend pursuing lores around 50 to 60 trains. My reasons may be just a bit old-skool in today's environment, but at 50 to 60 trains, you've got (or just about got) all your spells - you'll be then increasing spell ranks only to increase spell benefits themselves. Usually around that time, you can probably cut your training back a bit on spells (2x or so), and start picking up lores to benefit. But that's just one way of doing it.

As Robert points out - it might not be a bad idea to go from 38 to 20 (which changes 252 MP freed up to only 144 MP, I think? Double check that!)

Still, with 144 MP freed there, and the other 84 MP (total 228 MP), you have enough to get your 160 MP needed to just throw down on 10 ranks of MnE, and those 2 ranks of NjE, if you want.

That would get you 920 / 520 / 425 at 26th level, and let you keep .020 DF and 18% extra crit chance on your 906.

Choices, choices! There really isn't a 'wrong' way here, it's just what you'd prefer.

Doug
Re: Spell Progression 09/10/2016 03:27 PM CDT
>> I see. May need to play around and see if 10 ranks are feasible. You said it's an option later- about when would that be?

Right now you are still learning new spells just about every rank you train. I would generally take 4 more spells (or 4 ranks closer to a spell I really want to learn) over most lore benefits (but RP / style of play preference / etc might sway you towards a different viewpoint).

At some point, you will have learned most of the spells (1-20, then 25, then 30)... and you may decide it really isn't as important for you to learn 930, or 530, or 435 as soon as possible - these are arbitrary examples, and you might be willing to train lore benefits in place of spells (it may be a tradeoff with other skills but this is usually where the trade-off decision is for me).

Even once you know most / all the spells, many of your spells continue to offer improved benefit the more spell ranks you learn (e.g. 425 continues to provide additional benefit up until 75 ranks of MnE). So 'later' is somewhat subjective based on your preferences. It could be 'now', it could be in your 60s, or it could be someplace in between or even closer to cap.

Early on I much prefer more spells but you aren't doing it wrong if you decide to train in lores early on either. :-)

-- Robert

Re: Spell Progression 09/10/2016 03:59 PM CDT
Lots of good stuff here, thanks. The spreadsheet seems to be borked with newer versions of Office, so I might just wait until I level and play with it then, as that would be easiest.
Re: Spell Progression 09/10/2016 04:41 PM CDT
I'd drop EMC, MIU, ELF all down to 1X for now Get arcane Symbols to 1X then get more spells....

Mage don't have the mana problems we used to. Heck I was too old to need 1700 when it came out and only used a handful of wands in my entire career. You have 2X HP that should allow you to fry all the time.

FA will let you gobble herbs a bit faster, but I'm at 0 and am only going to start that RSN after brawling and I'll be at 10 mil exp. I want it now for skinning bounties and there are capped areas where it helps. But its not that expensive, 40 ranks is 160 TP tho'

When you have the two AS boosters you will likely get behind on the Wizard list. So almost 3 more spell ranks help.

Fixskills is great, but has its best impact at cap. Even though its cheaper it can do more for you than fixstats unless you really messed up.

The power to cut back on skills from 202 ranks to 101 ranks can't be overlooked. My last mage when capped I'd dump points into skills like MIU and AS and some others you can actually do without. Also train more than needed in climbing and swimming, trade, perception, etc...

then cut them back to get a very costly skill all at once. instant 0-100 brawling, dodge, CM, etc... can really be a game changer. Brawling, no disarm worries, faster in the field exp absorb, flag both hands for looting so you can easily gather loot. Dodge from 0-100 is a lot more powerful then blur+Mobility and you can still have them. CM all the defensive and offensive perks, makes don't get a lot of CM, but then when you get it all at once you suddenly have abilities with no mana costs and additional knockdowns etc...

There are other skills that work great with this strategy., but I'll leave that for you to contemplate. Fixstats is mearely vanity unless you really screwed up the initial stats....
Just an elf about town...
Re: Spell Progression 09/10/2016 11:49 PM CDT
My wizard is 30 and is singled in lores, which I have found very nice. 20-something ranks does give you burning from 906, minor steam from 903, and seems an effective spot to go with.
Re: Spell Progression 09/12/2016 02:10 PM CDT
>Fixskills is great, but has its best impact at cap. Even though its cheaper it can do more for you than fixstats unless you really messed up

Not super worried about fixskills, though it would be nice to increase my strength to reduce my encumbrance...
Re: Spell Progression 09/13/2016 07:11 AM CDT
Note that changing your STATS [FixStat potion] is a whole different proposition than changing your training [FixSkill potion or annual].
Re: Spell Progression 09/13/2016 12:56 PM CDT
Gah, I knew that.

Hey, only a million bounty points for a fix stats! Piece of cake!
Re: Spell Progression 03/11/2017 01:44 PM CST
Well, so since I first asked about there, there have been a lot of changes with spells!

Here's where my spells sit currently:
Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 30

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 35

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 20

I don't have a fixskills until May, so I'm curious about two things: Where to go from here (should I bring wizard base up and come back to minor elemental later?) or if I should plan on moving this around in May, based on all the new spells giving new, better goals.

Also, fire lore is at 20. Still good or are here enough benefits for that I should start picking it up again?

A quick flick of Wyrom's wrist sends a dagger into flight!
The thorny barrier surrounding you blocks Wyrom's attack!
One of the vines surrounding you lashes out at Wyrom, driving a thorn into his skin! Wyrom flinches slightly.
Re: Spell Progression 03/11/2017 01:49 PM CST
I can't recall what your favored hunting method is.

But at a glance, I'd say as long as you're not using immolation, you might want to keep Minors at level, and start picking up Wizard ranks. That's if you 2x, or 2x every third training or so. If you do more, I'd double down on Wizard for a bit, before spreading things back out.

Doug
Re: Spell Progression 03/11/2017 02:42 PM CST
Unless mana is an issue for you, in which case you'll want more MjE ranks for better Mana Leech.

~ Methais
Re: Spell Progression 03/11/2017 03:03 PM CST
Currently level 35, Minor Steaming Storm Giants left and right.

One of the vines surrounding you lashes out at Wyrom, driving a thorn into his skin! Wyrom flinches slightly.
Re: Spell Progression 03/11/2017 04:42 PM CST
Methais' advice is good - if you run into mana issues.

Me, I favored wands, but at the time I was only 2x mana, as well. I'd suggest Minors to 80 (at level), Wizard to 50 minimum, shake up with Majors. Enchanting focus would be wizard / major. Standard hunting would be minors to level, wizard to 40, majors to level, then alternate wizards / majors.

Kind of important where you want to end up, too. Earthen Fury is a great spell with wizards at level, or slightly higher. But - that spell pretty much suggests 2.5x mana or a good leech. It's getting tough to balance everything out.

Doug
Re: Spell Progression 03/11/2017 06:50 PM CST
I don't have any interest in enchanting, frankly. Maybe one day...

Right now, my wizard is in Icemule and melting everything that comes into his path. So that's been fun. Mana has not been a concern. Seeing as he lives in Icemule, I imagine he'll end up in the Rift eventually.

I'm not sure what you mean here: "shake up with Majors"

Or here: "Standard hunting would be minors to level, wizard to 40, majors to level, then alternate wizards / majors." - Did you have a particular level in mind with that?

Re: Spell Progression 03/11/2017 07:12 PM CST
Well, that's why it's kind of important to know where you want to end up.

For example, I've been advocating 101/101/101 for decades now. Others, suggest 67 Wiz / 81 Minor / 13something in Major (immolation - I think it's going out of favor). I suspect soon we'll hear about 125 Wizard / 81 Minor / 97 Major.

At any rate - what 'shake it up' means, is alternate Wiz / Major training.

Doug
Re: Spell Progression 03/11/2017 07:18 PM CST
Why 81 minor?

Right now I am planning on 125 major/77 minor/101 wizard and hoping my Halfling CS will be enough to work things with 504/516

gbb
Re: Spell Progression 03/11/2017 07:40 PM CST
>Well, that's why it's kind of important to know where you want to end up.

Makes sense. But that's a territory far beyond where I've ever been. So it's, at best, a guess. Right now, I want to use 903/906 as much as I can and burn ice creatures.

Re: Spell Progression 03/11/2017 10:09 PM CST
>>Why 81 minor?

Eh. Now that, that there is one of those fair questions.

I used to have a table, spent the last 20 minutes looking for it. Some day, I'll sit down and recreate it. Whirlin probably already has that table and refined it - and will be by shortly to say '83, Elf, 83!' or some such.

Most wizards will trade down minors below 101 to get wizards / majors above 101 - 81 is a sweet spot for trade offs across the spell circles as I recall.

In truth, one could stop just as easily at 75 (the cap for AS / CS from 425). The absolutism would be - stop on an odd train in Minor. Since you're dividing by 2 after adding 15, that 1/2 point truncates. Remember, 99 or 101 if you're going. all. the. way. I am so happy 101 gives me that 1 more DS. ;)

Doug
Re: Spell Progression 03/11/2017 10:12 PM CST
>>Since you're dividing by 2 after adding 15, that 1/2 point truncates. Remember, 99 or 101 if you're going. all. the. way. I am so happy 101 gives me that 1 more DS. ;)

And would have edited to add that this is 430 (Elemental Barrier) that is uncapped. That is. If I had, you know, an edit button. . .

Doug
Re: Spell Progression 03/12/2017 03:04 AM CDT
I know (at least I think I know) I get a CS at 77, 87, and 97 ranks of elemental minor/wizard for my major elemental circle. As an elf your TD/DS would be more important to you than it would be to my Halfling. Whereas CS is my halfling's weakness comparatively.

GBB
Re: Spell Progression 03/20/2017 11:09 AM CDT

Good Morning!

So we're heavily weighing Wizard ranks now? For enchanting and familiar portal I imagine?

L45 halfling wizard

Physical Fitness...................| 146 46
Arcane Symbols.....................| 155 55
Magic Item Use.....................| 155 55
Spell Aiming.......................| 194 94
Harness Power......................| 161 61
Elemental Mana Control.............| 151 51
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 102 24
Elemental Lore - Fire..............| 90 20
Climbing...........................| 102 24

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 42

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 41

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 36

Not sure where I should go, I thought MnE and MjE were the most important, but I don't even know. Very confusing. Thanks for being smarter than me
Re: Spell Progression 03/20/2017 11:24 AM CDT
>>I thought MnE and MjE were the most important, but I don't even know.

I don't think you're in a bad spot. But (finally, yay!) wizards are in the position to suggest that training in their profession circle is generally very important.

If I were you, working from this position on spells (I'm not looking at the other skills, just yet), I'd probably take MjE down to 35 (or maybe 40, based on your tastes of the spells), and use the extras to bring MnE to level and put the rest in Wizard.

From there, I'd try to do a 2.25 to 2.5x spell training regimen (since you're a pure wizard), and keep MnE at level to at least 77, get Wizard to and keep at level til cap, and put the rest into MjE.

Doug
Re: Spell Progression 03/20/2017 11:25 AM CDT
>So we're heavily weighing Wizard ranks now? For enchanting and familiar portal I imagine?

Enchanting - yes, it is beneficial if you want to have the best luck possibly to enchant something.

Familiar Gate - not a widely used spell anymore. I rarely use it and I rarely see it used. Expanded range for gold rings and the chrono mage kind of put a dent in the need for familiar gate. Let's not forget the wider use of lich - use of ;go2 has also kind of deflated the need for Familiar Gate.

Earthen Fury (was Boil Earth) - this would be a new, good reason to focus more heavily on wizard ranks. The overall effectiveness of the spell is weighted on known Wizard Spell ranks. You'll have best results if you're 1 to 1 trained in Wizard Spells ranks to your level and you'll get even better results if you're more than 1x in wizard spells.

If you don't use much of 917 right now, you may find it a very useful spell when you get more mana to play with. Right now, it's a good spell on my wizard. He sets up the target using self cast Tremors (via TAP) and then with an immediate follow up of 917. He's lacking a bit in Wizard Spell ranks, but I've been trying to focus them more when he levels up.

-Drumpel
Re: Spell Progression 03/20/2017 12:03 PM CDT
I still get good mileage out of Familiar Gate/930, because neither gold rings nor Chronomage orbs work on corpses. (Still perfectly able to drag some poor dead bastard through a swirling pet portal, though.)
Re: Spell Progression 03/20/2017 01:04 PM CDT
I also agree with Cross Realm 930. Great suggestion!

~ Methais
Re: Spell Progression 03/20/2017 01:17 PM CDT
>>I also agree with Cross Realm 930. Great suggestion!

Hah! That's one major thread leap that I'm totally down with, too!

Doug
Re: Spell Progression 03/20/2017 07:27 PM CDT

Thanks so much for your answers, it helps so so much