Returning after a LONG break 08/15/2016 05:05 PM CDT
Hi everyone! I got the itch to play Gemstone again. I think I last played about 6 years ago and I'm pleasantly surprised by how much has changed.

So far, I have managed to find Lich and install that, though I haven't really even scratched the surface of what that can do for me. I just like the ability to pull up one of Tsoran's maps and move to a room by clicking on it. I also realized that I must have quit the last time after a death, since the first thing I had to do was get myself rezzed.

Anyway, the only character I have left that wasn't level 2 or lower was a wizard, and I'm not sure how decent he is. Here's where I left off:

ace: Half-Elf Profession: Wizard (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 79 (14) ... 79 (14)
Constitution (CON): 61 (5) ... 61 (5)
Dexterity (DEX): 88 (24) ... 92 (26)
Agility (AGI): 73 (21) ... 73 (21)
Discipline (DIS): 56 (-2) ... 56 (-2)
Aura (AUR): 91 (20) ... 91 (20)
Logic (LOG): 79 (14) ... 79 (14)
Intuition (INT): 72 (11) ... 72 (11)
Wisdom (WIS): 80 (15) ... 80 (15)
Influence (INF): 62 (11) ... 62 (11)

Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Shield Use.........................| 99 23
Brawling...........................| 102 24
Physical Fitness...................| 82 18
Arcane Symbols.....................| 90 20
Magic Item Use.....................| 90 20
Spell Aiming.......................| 146 46
Harness Power......................| 120 30
Elemental Mana Control.............| 90 20
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 90 20
Perception.........................| 25 5
Climbing...........................| 70 15
Swimming...........................| 25 5

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 18

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 22

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 6
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

278 days remain until the annual FIXSKILLS is to be granted, on 05/20/2017.

I have no idea why my Dex is enhanced. I'm assuming one of my equipment pieces isn't just fluff.

I also don't know why I picked up 20 ranks of Air Lore before quitting. The lore system seems a bit underwhelming. Is that even doing anything for me?

I understand runestaves can now be used to generate DS rather than having to go with one-handed training + shield. I don't think that was the case when I left off.
I initially trained brawling because I like having an open hand when hunting. It makes grabbing loot or slinging out a wand easier. Also, I used to have a cleric (migrated him from AOL way, WAY back in the day) who gifted this wizard with his 8x shield before marching off to greener pastures, so I'm pretty sure I would lose a lot of DS going with a runestaff.
I also did brawling because I put this guy in Voln with the intention of supplementing spells with Voln Fu. A plan that was actually working quite well before I quit, but I understand that's a thing of the past.

The guide I have read doesn't really touch on a 'classic' build like this. Is it simply no longer viable? I kind of like it. If I have to hunt critters a couple levels below me, that's fine, but if it's really going to gimp me, maybe I should change.

Also, I'm wondering how well (or poor) my stats are placed. I understood growth intervals and whatnot back in the day, but I also understood that the stats that grew the fastest were also the ones that were the funnest to have high right at the start. I'm pretty sure I tried to place for a bit of balance between decent growth, but nowhere near maximum optimization for 100.

Right now, I'm hunting Ghoul Masters, Tomb Wights, and Arch Wights with most hunts getting my mind one step below fried. Once I get used to the game again, I plan to move down to Solhaven and start killing rotting woodsman. Is there anything else (preferably undead) that I should be hunting right now?

Thanks for any help!
Re: Returning after a LONG break 08/15/2016 07:42 PM CDT

>I also don't know why I picked up 20 ranks of Air Lore before quitting. The lore system seems a bit underwhelming. Is that even doing anything for me?

I went to 24 ranks for tonis bolt. and the slight boost to disk capacity and hasting(When it was 506)

I'm assuming that's what you were working on.

Lot of the other spells have earth/water/fire lore benefits now.
I really can't make any recommendations for you.

Voln Fu got a total redo. It's wrapped in with the Unarmed Combat System that was introduced a few years back, I think you'll be pleased with how it works out. but honestly, as a wizard...not sure how effective you'll be at UCS. But at least you're not using polearms like i was at that level. :P

The Lore Review Changes are a bit to wrap your head around. I'm not going to lie.
Re: Returning after a LONG break 08/15/2016 07:49 PM CDT
Welcome back!

If you have not stumbled upon the wiki yet, it can answer many of your questions: https://gswiki.play.net/Main_Page

In particular, Whirlin has a useful guide: https://gswiki.play.net/Guides_by_Whirlin:_Pure,_Archer,_and_War_Mages_Guide

You do not need brawling and a shield unless you want to be a warmage and swing a weapon. Pure wizards do not lack for DS.

The lores are being revamped after a lore review last summer that is continuing. It seems like some more changes will be announced at Simucon. Whirlin's guide covers a lot of the issues. Generally fire is offense, earth is defense, air is speed, and water is utility. There are some breakpoints at 10 or 20 ranks that unlock new spells or abilities. 20 ranks of air lore unlocks Tonis Bolt (505) which is really helpful.

You have the stats vs. training points issue right. I aim to split the difference by having my characters max at level 50 or 66 (the halfway point to cap), but it is really your preference. There are stat and TP maximizing calculators out there.

Your hunting grounds sound fine. Investigate the adventurer's guild if that is new to you.
Re: Returning after a LONG break 08/16/2016 01:47 PM CDT

Your ranks in air lore are not wasted. 20 ranks is required to cast 505 (hand of tonis) as a bolt spell. My wizard used it as the opening spell from level 20-50. It has a GREAT chance of stunning and/or knocking down a critter.
air lore also improves how much weight your disk can hold. 21 ranks allows for 10 items instead of the basic 8 item limit. it's not a huge deal.
The other air lore big benefit is to Celerity (506). Celerity is half of the old Haste spell, it allows combat actions to happen at reduced RT. IT's a long drawn out formula as to what your RT will be based on air lore with an influence from elemental mana control. Basically, if your a combat mage, you want LOTS of air lore. if your a pure, 20 ranks to use tonis bolt.

Rune staves: Yes, rune staves are good for defense. magic skills grant "phantom ranks" in two handed weapons, which is calculated to parry defense with a rune stave.
Most pure casters elect to drop weapon/shield ranks for a rune stave. A select few use a rune stave + shield, but mostly those are people at level 100 that can afford to with the training points.

I went pure, and used a rune stave from day 1. I'm level 80 now and still have 20 ranks of air lore, 62 ranks of fire lore.
Re: Returning after a LONG break 08/18/2016 04:48 PM CDT
Thanks for all the help guys. Tonis bolt is truly awesome now that I started using it. That must have been what I was going for and I think I will keep those air ranks for now.