27th train wizard 01/19/2016 10:47 AM CST

Reply Reply Delete Delete
I'm debating if I want my wizard to go ahead and grab lore or not but I'm at a lost since I'm a lot more attuned to paladins :P

My wizard is 27 trains and I'm trying to keep em as a pure caster after having tried and failed (since the announcement of the fixskills) to go ahead and try to make 'm a warmage with a polearm since simply put.. too many lost of spells. That said, I then re evaluated the skills and what things the wizard could use and should use since I will be doing bandits etc but at the same time, mana is always an issue even with mana leech.

So.. I came up with this, but there's no lore as I'm still under the opinion the wizard is simply too young to be messing with lore anyway and focusing on 3xing spells where possible. Currently wearing a t1 Voln leather armor, and uses a runestave (well obviously heh)

Does this appear okay? Any suggestions are highly welcome.

Skill Name

Armor Use..........................| 20 4
Physical Fitness...................| 114 28
Arcane Symbols.....................| 114 28
Magic Item Use.....................| 114 28
Spell Aiming.......................| 156 56
Harness Power......................| 117 56
Elemental Mana Control.............| 114 28
Perception.........................| 54 28
Climbing...........................| 25 5
Swimming...........................| 25 5

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 20

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 25

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 25
Training Points: 59 Phy 0 Mnt (722 Phy converted to Mnt)

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: 27th train wizard 01/19/2016 10:54 AM CST

I would switch your 2x in perception for 2x in MIU (if you plan on enchanting). No reason to 2x perception unless you're planning on using a Bow. Otherwise, as long as you're not planning to travel much or hunt in any areas that require you to climb / swim obstacles - you should be fine.

Also - 2x in HP nets you +28 mana. I'm not sure that investment is worth the massive TP cost, but that is entirely up to you and how you manage mana!
Re: 27th train wizard 01/19/2016 11:11 AM CST
>> Also - 2x in HP nets you +28 mana. I'm not sure that investment is worth the massive TP cost, but that is entirely up to you and how you manage mana!

Since I am a huge advocate for 2x Harness Power I'll point out that 2x in HP is actually netting them +56 mana (when you consider mana leech) as well as an additional 4 mana per pulse while in the field (and 7 mana per pulse while in town).

-- Robert aka Faulkil

Bazzelwyn says, "Maul maul maul maul maul maul maul."
Bazzelwyn says, "The answer is maul."
Re: 27th train wizard 01/19/2016 12:10 PM CST
I apolagize .. I should have cleaned up the bonus, but my perception is 1x, not 2xing.

The 56 extra mana (from my view) is actually worth it unless I'm simply not doing something right when trying to hunt. Believe it or not, I have never touched Rapid Fire even once since I usually use bolts on whatever the target is (usually an undead beastie). Typically I use my casting gloves only after I'm out of mana or can't mana leech although I have been doing okay (even learning wise) against moaning spirits although the best I get is up the numb / muddled before I have to run away if I don't have any wands on hand. Typically I make my casting gloves absorb the wands so I can just wave my gloves at said beastie without needing to put a wand in my left hand (which would hurt defense).

Enchanting.. I'm under the impression I shouldn't bother with it at this level and from the few times I did attempt an enchant.. I think the highest I got was a 2x enchant.. and it wasn't much Xp gained to be worthwhile if I recall right.

Re: 27th train wizard 01/19/2016 12:27 PM CST
>> The 56 extra mana (from my view) is actually worth it unless I'm simply not doing something right when trying to hunt.

It is entirely your preference whether to 2x or 1x in HP, but you aren't getting 56 extra mana. Every point above 1x = 1 mana. Every point up to 1x is = 3 mana. So the first 27 ranks in Harness Power earn you 81 mana. The next 29 ranks costing you 232 MTPs gives you 29 mana. So, you could have that extra 29 mana, or you could get probably 2-4 more ranks in MjE (didn't want to do more math!).

Are you using 516 regularly? If not, I would consider improving your ability to ward creatures with Major Elemental by increasing Major Elemental ranks. At your train, you could get back 100+ mana from using 516 on susceptible (magical) targets during a hunt negating the value of the extra 29 mana from 2x into HP.

However -- That is entirely up to you. There is nothing inherently wrong with 2x in HP, and it definitely gives you additional mana regeneration benefits along with a deeper mana pool to mess with, but I think most would agree that 2x in HP is a post-cap (or pre 516) goal due to the extreme TP cost for small gains (you can get more than 29 mana back on a successful ward of 516 if you can reliably ward creatures of like-level).
Re: 27th train wizard 01/19/2016 12:38 PM CST
>Enchanting.. I'm under the impression I shouldn't bother with it at this level and from the few times I did attempt an enchant.. I think the highest I got was a 2x enchant.. and it wasn't much Xp gained to be worthwhile if I recall right.

Enchanting is not a method of reliable experience gain. You get ((100 Exp X enchantment level) - caster's level) when you do a successful cast on the final step. So my level 80 wizard earns ((100 x 1)-80) = 20 exp for a successful 1x enchantment cast. When I finish a 2x cast, I earn 120 exp from the final cast.

I'm working on a 7x project, when I finish it my wizard will earn 620 experience on the final cast. Right now each step takes about 7 days, so after about 49 days of tempering and doing all the steps, my wizard will have earned 620 experience for the work. 49 days for 620 experience. At this rate, I'd never make it to level 81 just from enchanting.

As for making enchanting attempts - I didn't bother with it until around level 40. Then again, my wizard was around back in the day when infusing mana was the way to enchant (yeah, I haven't leveled him much over the years) and in a private workshop I was able to complete a 6x cast, but it took a long time to infuse the mana needed from myself and several other people. So I'm not sure if I like the current enchanting system over the old.....side tracked, sorry. Anyway, enchanting right now probably isn't worth it unless you just want to practice on basic items to see how well you do.

-Drumpel
Re: 27th train wizard 01/19/2016 12:44 PM CST
>> Enchanting is not a method of reliable experience gain. You get ((100 Exp X enchantment level) - caster's level) when you do a successful cast on the final step. So my level 80 wizard earns ((100 x 1)-80) = 20 exp for a successful 1x enchantment cast. When I finish a 2x cast, I earn 120 exp from the final cast.

I believe you earn experience for every cast during your enchanting project, not just the final cast. At least that has been my experience to date.

-- Robert aka Faulkil

Re: 27th train wizard 01/19/2016 12:46 PM CST
All really good advice.

I'll second Robert's suggestion of increasing HP. It may not feel it right now, but around level 30 to 35, you'll be glad you did for several different reasons. If not fully 2x, stay within striking distance - perhaps 1.5x?

If training points are a concern, you could ease off on spells slightly. 2.5x (or perhaps even 2.25x in early years) is sufficient, and you can start tending back to 2.75x and higher in the second third of the game*.

Doug

*I think of the game as 3 parts, to mid levels (66 or so), to cap (100) and post-cap.
Re: 27th train wizard 01/19/2016 12:59 PM CST
>I believe you earn experience for every cast during your enchanting project, not just the final cast. At least that has been my experience to date.

I suppose you do....but I don't pay that much attention to the paltry exp you earn from enchanting to begin with. I always notice the exp gain on the final casts, probably because it's pretty much the only cast you tend to have a chance to fail on.

-Drumpel
Re: 27th train wizard 01/19/2016 01:07 PM CST
The only reason I notice is that I tend to have between 8-20 projects going at any given time. A half a dozen 3rd step casts on 4x projects moves your experience bar a noticeable amount. Anything below the 3rd cast on a project (at cap) doesn't really keep up with your experience absorption though.

-- Robert

Re: 27th train wizard 01/19/2016 01:36 PM CST
Thank you everybody for the great advise.

If you don't mind, what of lore - specifically at what training should Lore come into play? I'm thinking 516 is Leech if I'm thinking right (not logged in atm) but I do use it fairly often til I can't though I'm still getting used to knowing when recovered from using it so I'm trying to learn not rely on it so much.

Re: 27th train wizard 01/19/2016 01:56 PM CST
If your focus is on Leech (516), then the only lore worthy of discussion is EL:W (water). EL:W provides for a percentage chance of getting 20 more mana during a single successful leech attempt. However, it's seed(2), and as a result you need 65 ranks of EL:W just to get a 10% chance of that happening.

More importantly, in my view, if you're going to rely moderately on leech then you'll want to work Elemental Mana Control (EMC) and Major Spell ranks. MjE spell ranks determines the ceiling of returned mana in each successful leech, and with other advantages that MjE provides, I'd say this one is slightly higher in priority.

EMC has two affects - modest increase in the mana leeched (24 ranks nets +10 mana), and reduction in the cooldown period (that same 24 ranks would net approximately a 7 or 8% reduction in the time to recover). It's not as impactful as the 1:1 ratio provided by MjE spell ranks, but definitely should be prioritized ahead of EL:W in my view.

Subject to any math errors I might have made. ;)

Doug
Re: 27th train wizard 01/19/2016 02:19 PM CST
>> If you don't mind, what of lore - specifically at what training should Lore come into play?

Generally speaking, at lower level I think you'll be better off pushing to learn additional spell ranks which will translate into a direct benefit in terms of spells known and increased power in some of your spells due to having the additional ranks. There might be some specific goals that you want to achieve sooner (e.g. 20 ranks in air lore to unlock Tonis Bolts) but otherwise I'd recommend holding off until the 2nd part of the game (using Doug's part 1 through training 66 or so, part 2 through to cap, and part 3 as post cap).

-- Robert

Re: 27th train wizard 01/19/2016 05:41 PM CST
I have a wizard about that level (He's 32), and put me in the group recommending you push your MjE up. I would push it all the way to 27, and then keep it at level going forward. It boosts your Mana Leech, and also at that level, 502 can be a staple hunting spell. Since 502 was released, my wizard has lived in Castle Varunar, blowing up Rotting Corpses with 502 (Fire attuned). I almost never use bolt spells unless I am feeling bored, and I don't need to leech to go from belled to fried. 502 is super powerful at that level in my experience.
Re: 27th train wizard 01/19/2016 09:30 PM CST
Thank you very much. Surprised I didn't know about 502.. guessing that's a fairly new spell since I was always just bolting with my wizard. Course.. now mana isn't a problem at all

Thanks all!