Wizard and general help 06/29/2015 10:56 AM CDT
Wizard help:

I'm looking to start a wizard but googling/searching isn't helping. I understand how to get max stats at 100, but I'd like to actually enjoy the early - mid levels instead. From what I've been able to find, it's better to swing a claidhmore during your first 30 days, and then switch after. So my questions are:

What stats do I need to swing a claid with 5 seconds of RT and maximize experience gain/absorption?

What skills do I train in for those claid swinging days? Going with default stats, I was only able to take 1x Physical Fitness, 2x Two Handed Weapons, and 1x Combat Maneuvers.

I'd like to do a halfling, but elf or dark elf would be fine if the encumbrance is going to be annoying.

After that, what would be good stats to switch to at the end of the 30 days if I want to go the pure mage route? I can do fix stats at level 100, I just want to have an enjoyable time hunting/enchanting until then.

General Questions:
Something I read said to ignore the sprite while you're level 0 and run around to all the places in the DIRection list. That should be enough exp to get you to level 1, then you do the Sprite which will take you to almost 2. However, I don't seem to be getting any exp for visiting places in town. Has this been removed?

Is there a way to pick your starting town, or do you just have to pay the money and use the travel token?

Thanks for all your help, it's been so nerve wracking trying to find the stat information.
Re: Wizard and general help 06/29/2015 12:03 PM CDT
Well, you don't necessarily need to place stats for growth if you don't want to. But if you do make it to the high levels, chances are that you'll want to purchase a fixstat at some point. Just be aware of the cost: currently fixstat is available for either 1m bounty points or 22,500 Simucoins (or at least $166 or 18.5m silver).

You also don't need to swing a claidhmore. Spell 1700 is a recent addition. It has no mana cost and, as a bolt spell, hits about as hard as minor shock with the tradeoff that it initiates a 5s hard RT which cannot be reduced by haste effects. The spell may also be cast as a warding spell. You would rely on this spell heavily at first in order to stretch your mana, and less and less as you level.

Having said that, since you also have 30 days of near-instant skill migration, there's little reason not to train a weapon skill. You can always drop it before the end. Having access to both a weapon of some sort and a free warding/bolt spell adds a great deal of versatility to a low level wizard. Mana becomes far less of an issue.

You won't be able to 2x twohanded weapons as a wizard, and CM is a poor investment for the short-term. Unless you're planning on being a full-time war mage after your 30 days are up, I'd say just train 1x in a weapon skill and that's all you need as far as weapon use goes.

Encumbrance is definitely an issue for a halfling, especially if you don't place your strength score high. However, strength and disk help a lot and these days you have other options such as enhancives, weightless coin containers, weight-reducing containers, and Simustore encumbrance potions. Encumbrance is a problem, but you do have some options for managing it. On the other hand, dark elves make great wizards, too. They are nearly as good with bolts and significantly better with warding magic than halflings, and you won't have as much of a problem with encumbrance.

On the hunting/enchanting plan. There is a slight conflict between the two. Both 400s and 500s provide +0.5 bolt AS per rank once you learn 513 and 425. You probably won't be able to sustain 3x spells, so you're forced to make a bit of a compromise between the primary factor in enchanting and your bolt AS. The good news is you'd only be giving up at most 0.5 AS per level. In reality, less than that, since you'll almost certainly exceed 2x spell research. You would probably maintain 500s and 900s at level, so assuming 400s are trained at 0.5x you would lose about 12 bolt AS by level 75. So nothing game-breaking, but I thought I would make you aware of it.

As far as stats go, there is no perfect plan I can suggest to you except to say that, if it were me, I'd probably just skip the fixstat and place for growth. The worst levels by far are those first 30 days, but you gain levels quickly at the low end and with stats placed for growth you optimize your stat gains during that time. With 1700 and a weapon to get you through, the low levels shouldn't be a problem no matter what you do with your stats. Otherwise, just place your stats with whatever priorities appeal to you. The fixstat will take care of any oversights down the road.

You still gain exp for going to places around town, but the places you need to go aren't always obvious. Last I checked I was able to gain the entire level in the Landing easily enough, but I swear I went to every place on the Icemule list and was still at least one short and never did figure out which one I was missing! Also, I think you still gain experience from the Raging Thrak or Trevor Dabbings.

No, I think picking your starting town is a premium perk only.

~Taverkin
Re: Wizard and general help 06/29/2015 12:08 PM CDT
Thanks for the help. I went to several different location in Ice Mule and never got anything. Maybe I'm not waiting inside long enough.

I'll try a pure wizard with stats placed for cap and see how it goes with 1700.
Re: Wizard and general help 06/29/2015 08:42 PM CDT
Okay something seems wrong, if you could look this over please. My CS at level 2 is half that of my wife the empath for the same spell (1700).

Here are my stats:
Race: Halfling Profession: Wizard (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 94 (7) ... 94 (7)
Constitution (CON): 73 (21) ... 73 (21)
Dexterity (DEX): 56 (18) ... 56 (18)
Agility (AGI): 70 (20) ... 70 (20)
Discipline (DIS): 77 (8) ... 77 (8)
Aura (AUR): 65 (2) ... 65 (2)
Logic (LOG): 73 (16) ... 73 (16)
Intuition (INT): 63 (16) ... 63 (16)
Wisdom (WIS): 73 (11) ... 73 (11)
Influence (INF): 22 (-19) ... 22 (-19)
Mana: 11 Silver: 0

and skills

(at level 2), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 15 3
Physical Fitness...................| 15 3
Arcane Symbols.....................| 30 6
Magic Item Use.....................| 30 6
Spell Aiming.......................| 30 6
Harness Power......................| 30 6
Elemental Mana Control.............| 15 3
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 15 3
Perception.........................| 15 3

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 3

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 4

I know my spells are more than double per level but I have enough spare points for it. Am I taking the wrong spell circles or something?
Re: Wizard and general help 06/29/2015 10:43 PM CDT
A couple of things:

1) Your low CS is due to your low AURA. See the preceding thread for insights about Aura from several well established wizards - but more importantly. . .

2) You are a wizard! BOLT, don't just rely on CS. Use 901 in STANCE OFFENSIVE to see the effect. Just remember after you've cast, to immediately go to STANCE DEFENSIVE again. Minimize the exposure to being hit.

This might help (especially the Journey In Elanthia portion).

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/A_Beginner%27s_Guide_to_Playing_a_Wizard

Doug
Re: Wizard and general help 06/30/2015 01:14 AM CDT
Halflings make good wizards, but they do have a penalty to aura, which will cost you some CS. It's not a deal-breaker at the high end, but at low level you will feel the difference, especially if you place your aura stat for growth. The good news, as Doug points out, is that you're a wizard and you don't need to rely much on CS spells. I pretty much only use mana leech as far as CS spells go, and I'm well into the post-cap.

However, if you're interested in compensating for your halfling aura penalty you have the option of overtraining spell research or collecting aura enhancives. I personally don't recommend aura enhancives for wizards unless you're planning to go the immo route eventually. Immolation requires both a strong CS and heavy fire lore as well as a large mana pool, so this would likely be a post-cap goal.

~Taverkin
Re: Wizard and general help 06/30/2015 06:34 AM CDT
Thanks again for the help.

It's kind of disappointing that she can walk around in guarded, hitting better than me but I'll get over it.

I tried using 1700 in offensive stance (so it's a bolt) and that worked a lot better. I was hoping not to have to stance dance, but so far if I have a ton of spells they can't hit me.
Re: Wizard and general help 06/30/2015 07:49 AM CDT
Yes, well the CS spells are mostly situational and we have to stance dance. Critters are quite easy until mid-20th levels. That new 1700 spell has gotta be great for early hunting.

Just an elf about town...
Re: Wizard and general help 06/30/2015 08:21 AM CDT
This simple macro might help you with the stance dancing by throwing you back into guarded stance right after you cast.

#Combat Cast (cc.cmd)

put stance offensive
waitfor You are now in
put cast at %1 %2
put stance defensive

Example usage:

>prep 901
>.cc other rolton

-- Robert

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting."
Re: Wizard and general help 06/30/2015 12:08 PM CDT
Here's an alternative script that lets you save some settings like stance and spell preference and uses the incant and targeting mechanics.

~Taverkin

# Usage:
# Set a default spell: .incant 9 0 3
# Use the default spell: .incant
# Specify a spell without changing the default spell: .incant 903
# Set or change your casting stance: .incant stance offensive

DEBUG OFF
IF_3 GOTO SPELLDEFAULT
IF_2 GOTO SETSTANCE
IF_1 GOTO START2
GOTO START

START:
COUNTER SET %spell
put %stance
GOTO INCANT

START2:
COUNTER SET %1
put %stance

INCANT:
put incant %c
put stance guarded
exit

SETSTANCE:
SETVARIABLE stance %1% %2
ECHO
ECHO Your casting stance has been set to %2%.
ECHO
exit

SPELLDEFAULT:
SETVARIABLE spell %1%%2%%3%%4%
ECHO
ECHO The default spell # has been set to %spell%.
ECHO
exit
Re: Wizard and general help 06/30/2015 03:28 PM CDT
Very nice. Thanks for the scripts. I'm manually typing everything right now until I figure out how to hunt exactly.
Re: Wizard and general help 06/30/2015 09:00 PM CDT
I use macros for all my combat related stuff, they are simple to create and use, and as long as you have a good cheat sheet or a very good memory of what those F-keys are it works great.

An example of one of my macros for my wizard looks like this, tied, for instance, to the F-1 key:

stance off \rincant 901 \rstance guard \r

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Empires exist through conquest, they live on by exercising total control of the conquered.

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Wizard and general help 06/30/2015 09:24 PM CDT
Manually typing? Wow. Yeah, try one of those scripts. There is nothing to gain from typing out by hand what you can instead do with the push of a button. It's not full automation. You still choose which spell you want to cast. You just do it faster than you ever could typing by hand.

~Taverkin
Re: Wizard and general help 07/02/2015 03:25 AM CDT
My new-ish warmage is dwarven, and has essentially set stats for cap but also they are highly playable, since the stats I need for now are the physical stats.

This is actually the first character I've ever set stats for cap for as a character to play that way. I don't even imagine this character will get to cap in the next decade.

In any case, that was a feature I really like about warmages.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Wizard and general help 07/02/2015 03:27 AM CDT
There's the voodoo script but I was never a big fan. In lich I just setup aliases like this:

--- Warmages's aliases
505 => ;eq waitrt?; multifput "stance off","incant 505","stance def"
510 => ;eq waitrt?; multifput "stance off","incant 510","stance guard"
901 => ;execq waitrt?; multifput "stance off","incant 901","stance guard"
903 => ;eq waitrt?; multifput "stance off","incant 903","stance def"
904 => ;eq waitrt?; multifput "stance off","incant 904","stance guard"
906 => ;eq waitrt?; multifput "stance off","incant 906","stance guard"
907 => ;eq waitrt?; multifput "stance off","incant 907","stance guard"
908 => ;eq waitrt?; multifput "stance off","incant 908","stance guard"
910 => ;eq waitrt?; multifput "stance off","incant 910","stance guard"
massies => ;waggle --cast-list=911,419 --stop-at=220
name => ;eq stuff-here
signs => ;eq multifput "sign striking","sign smiting","sign warding","sign defending"
skint => ;eq waitrt?;multifput "get dagger from my boots","kneel","skin \? with dagger","stand","put dagger in my boots"
smash => ;execq waitrt?; multifput "stance off","attack \?"; sleep 1; waitrt?; fput "stance def"
wand => ;eq waitrt?; multifput "stance off","wave my wand at \?","stance guard"

Still need a clever script/alias to KILL until no targets are left for haste. As of yet I just smash one macro.

Note, to setup, you do

;alias add MYALIAS=;eq blah blah blah

With NO SPACES near the = sign.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Wizard and general help 07/03/2015 02:33 AM CDT
>>My new-ish warmage is dwarven, and has essentially set stats for cap but also they are highly playable, since the stats I need for now are the physical stats.<<

Heh, indeed. I went to level 100 and never had to convert a single TP; all the physival ones got sucked up by weapon/cman training. At level 100 I ran out of physical stuff to train in, so I started converting then.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."