Training Question 06/20/2015 09:26 AM CDT
I'm back from a fairly long hiatus and I started a new wizard. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something vital or being a complete idiot (at least with training, I'm sure that's the case elsewhere) before my training grace period ends. Aelotoi wizard. Thank you for any help.

Taero (at level 12), your base skill bonuses, ranks and goals are:
Skill Name | Actual Actual
| Bonus Ranks Goals In-Game Time to Goal
Armor Use..........................| 20 4 4
Physical Fitness...................| 62 13 13
Arcane Symbols.....................| 108 26 26
Magic Item Use.....................| 108 26 26
Spell Aiming.......................| 108 26 26
Harness Power......................| 58 12 12
Elemental Mana Control.............| 62 13 13
Perception.........................| 62 13 13
Climbing...........................| 40 8 8
Swimming...........................| 40 8 8

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 12 12

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 11 11

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 10 10
Re: Training Question 06/20/2015 11:08 AM CDT
Looks good.

Just an elf about town...
Re: Training Question 06/20/2015 11:56 PM CDT
No Mauls? No Cmans? You're doomed!

Additionally, you might want to post your stats, since you still have (presumably) one or more of your reset options.

::This space for Rent::
Re: Training Question 06/21/2015 08:59 PM CDT
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 62 (1) ... 62 (1)
Constitution (CON): 54 (2) ... 54 (2)
Dexterity (DEX): 86 (23) ... 86 (23)
Agility (AGI): 69 (19) ... 69 (19)
Discipline (DIS): 48 (4) ... 48 (4)
Aura (AUR): 81 (15) ... 81 (15)
Logic (LOG): 84 (22) ... 84 (22)
Intuition (INT): 71 (15) ... 71 (15)
Wisdom (WIS): 69 (9) ... 69 (9)
Influence (INF): 83 (11) ... 83 (11)

Although I don't think I have a reset, as I'm currently F2P.
Re: Training Question 06/21/2015 11:04 PM CDT
I am pretty sure even f2p get the 5 stat allocations during their first 30 days, Easy enough to check by visiting the local inn and checking in.
Re: Training Question 06/22/2015 12:40 AM CDT
Good to know. So, how do they look?
Re: Training Question 06/22/2015 07:43 AM CDT
They look decent... Nothing immediately maxing out, but definitely not set for growth to cap at cap. A good, solid, middle-of-the-road stat placement. Good, balanced approach.

Your training looks good as well. Spell training looks properly allocated and everything, just a couple things I'll chime in with, that you very well could have evaluated, but I just want to bring them up to make you consider them if you hadn't:
While you're still so incredibly low level, you can consider reducing your spell research training slightly (maybe after you've hit 913/414/513 though... you're so close to so many good spells!), and instead dedicate those points to training in more harness power. Now, I know that going over 1x HP is both horrible returns and expensive, but while you're so low level, that +1 mana is marginally more important than 20 levels later. I've seen many wizards who will simply go 2x HP until level 50, and 0x from 51-100. Just a way to recognize the mana benefits a little sooner. But hey, spell aiming is awesome too!
The only other thing to consider would be pulling back a little bit on Arcane Symbols. When we consider Runestaff DS, the first rank is so dirt cheap, that the first rank ends up being advantageous compared to spell research for DS growth... However, the second rank becomes surprisingly competitive on the return of TP to DS. Then if we consider the skills that utilize arcane symbols for wizards... well... There's a lot more justification for 2x MIU than 2x AS.

Just things to consider. All in all, your build appears solid, and you should do well.

~Whirlin
Re: Training Question 06/22/2015 09:20 AM CDT
<(maybe after you've hit 913/414/513 though... you're so close to so many good spells!)

I know! I've been debating a lot on keeping all three circles roughly on par like this or dropping one for a few levels.

<that +1 mana is marginally more important than 20 levels later.

I can see that. Right now I'm still relying on 1700 to finish out hunts most of the time, though I should probably just go invest in some wands.

<The only other thing to consider would be pulling back a little bit on Arcane Symbols. When we consider Runestaff DS, the first rank is so dirt cheap, that the first rank ends up being advantageous compared to spell research for DS growth... However, the second rank becomes surprisingly competitive on the return of TP to DS. Then if we consider the skills that utilize arcane symbols for wizards... well... There's a lot more justification for 2x MIU than 2x AS.

It's something to play around with for the next week, at any rate. Despite my weird obsession with numbers, I've never delved too far into the crunch of runestaff DS. It makes sense, though. And I can always use some more training points. Is there a stage when 2x AS becomes more important?

Thanks for the help.
Re: Training Question 06/22/2015 06:29 PM CDT
I personally don't feel it is worth it to get 913 early on. 911 either really but it is nice being able to cast that spell for the masses. With a level 15 wizard I had 513, 414, and 913 following the basic wisdom. My DS was excessive, there wasn't a need to have quite so many spells that early on and TD was never an issue. I was also only 1x in MIU/AS/EMC. Rarely using wands and only using wizard wands when I did, I didn't need more MIU. Also wasn't using scrolls for anything so I didn't need more then 1x there.

Having 2x HP at lower levels helps a ton and even later on can still be quite useful. Being able to use your higher level bolts more often, or more disabling spells, or running haste and wizard shield throughout entire hunts is nothing to sneeze at.

At 15 I set my wizards stats for growth and never had any issues with it. You don't need a terribly high dexterity once you get to where you can hunt fire phantoms. In placing stats for growth the only stat you may wish was higher from time to time is aura because that is your CS and it sucks to miss a cast of mana leach. You can raise your aura up a bit higher by setting influence down to 20 and placing the remaining points in it.
Re: Training Question 06/23/2015 10:41 AM CDT
Per Trouble's input... I'm really just recommending 913/414/513 because you're so close to them... After that, I'd pull back slightly on spell research and invest more heavily into Harness Power ranks for that mana. I guess if you're still in 30 days, you can freely reallocate still if you'd like. I'd be partial to 913/513 above 414, due to being able to get the same spell via masses.

Although, I'm REALLY glad that they released 1700 to help you all out in the interim.

For wizards, 2x AS isn't really necessary, it's kind of a personal preference between that, or more spell research. Being wizards, it's incredibly easy to forget about our encumbrance levels, and overload ourselves on stuff (stuff = scrolls)... resulting in megalixir style hoarding mentality where you never use them, waiting for those situations you need them, not wanting to waste them.

... I went on a rant there, and I don't know why.

Yeah, 2x AS isn't as necessary for wizards. Definitely more valuable for a Sorc to be 2x AS. If you had to choose between 2xing MIU/AS as a wizard, definitely choose MIU.

~Whirlin
Re: Training Question 06/23/2015 01:03 PM CDT
Having just leveled up as a pure, I didn't have that much trouble. Once I'd learned enough MIU and I was able to use wands to supplement. I doubt if I used more than 50 wands total. This was all before 1700. I hunted rats until 7, various orcs until 12ish. Joined Voln and hunted Vereri and other assorted undead in the Landings until I could kill the undead in Zol-Logoth, then on to Ta'Illistim and the undead there. After that I hunted the Bog in Vaalor and am currently hunting undead in RR.

I might have died 4 times or so by level 25 and really only had a few deaths after that until I came to RR. Here in RR you run into nasty CMs like shield bash and such in Marsh Keep and the Citadel. If you want to hunt undead as a pure boltcaster then just look at the age range and uphunt by a few levels. Once you get to the Citadel level critters you can actually way up hunt, some of the critters are 62 and I was bolting them at 48. These were the ones that wandered in to the lower leveled critters though. Not a good Idea to hunt th level 62 exclusively.

With extra harness power and a few wands you can still easily fry I don't remember exactly, but I think I haven't used a wand since Zombies. Double spells in major and minor to keep them at level for the AS and DS. Train wizard circle up to 919 at least for shield. 1700 was not needed as much by wizard pures as some of the other casters.

Extra harness power also makes leeching all that much better.

Re: Training Question 06/23/2015 01:23 PM CDT
>>... I went on a rant there, and I don't know why.

Maybe because encumbrance has a negative modifier on using wands? If that isn't it, I've no clue.

I'd take 414 over 913 just because I like to be self sufficient and it is along the way to picking up 425. Depending on location and play time 414 isn't that easy to come by either. One also happens to pick up ewave along the way. There is also 909 and 912 but I preferred the instant and more reliable knockdowns from ewave. I didn't use it a whole lot but it was certainly handy on a few occasions.
Re: Training Question 06/23/2015 06:19 PM CDT
AS is probably one of the least useful magical skills for a wizard. Scrolls are a crapshoot as far as containing useful spells, and unlike sorcerers we can't unlock and infuse them, so their uses are limited. MIU is far more useful IMO. Not only can we imbed our own items, but Clerics are able to bless a lot of spiritual spells into orb gems for you, for example, if you want those at your fingertips. Being out of our speheres, spiritual spells require more MIU to invoke reliably.

Nor should you rely on MIU and AS ranks to supplement runestaff defense; most DS producing spells yield more benefit the more ranks you have in that circle, so picking up more spells will be the best way to increase your physical DS.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Training Question 06/23/2015 06:54 PM CDT
Thank you all for the help. I just hit 13, so here's how things are looking now.

Skill Name Actual Bonus Actual Ranks
Armor Use 20 4
Physical Fitness 66 14
Arcane Symbols 66 14
Magic Item Use 114 28
Spell Aiming 114 28
Harness Power 93 21
Elemental Mana Control 66 14
Perception 66 14
Climbing 50 10
Swimming 35 7
Spell Lists .
Major Elemental 13
Minor Elemental 11
Wizard 11

I can't quite get to 2x HP, but I am noticing the improvements already in having the extra mana. I'm also considering dropping 911 right now and pushing to 412, since I can't cast 911 anyway.
Re: Training Question 06/23/2015 07:09 PM CDT
As mentioned, mana at low levels is in short supply. Later on various other factors can ameliorate this problem. Being in a certain Society, being able to leech well, having a good supply of wands ... these can let a wizard gradually ease back down to 1x in HP. On the other hand, there's noting wrong with training 2x in HP forever, either. While not as efficient as far as the TP:Mana benefit ratio, doing that does yield an extra 100 mana at cap. Nice extra cushion to have when you are hunting level 110 stuff/invasion critters that you may not be able to reliably leech from.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Training Question 06/23/2015 07:55 PM CDT
>> On the other hand, there's noting wrong with training 2x in HP forever, either. While not as efficient as far as the TP:Mana benefit ratio, doing that does yield an extra 100 mana at cap.

And an additional 15 mana per pulse in the field. And an additional 100 mana that you can leech before you hit the leeching cap.

-- Robert

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting."
Re: Training Question 06/23/2015 10:05 PM CDT
A lot of people seem to be stuck on the 1X this and the 2X that.

My strategy has been to train all but the very core in clumps. My core group is spells 2X and Spell Aim 2X, HP 1X. The rest floats. Early on I trained in MIU until I could wave wands well, then I concentrated on having spells at 1X for Major and Minor Lists, and the bolt spells. After that I made sure I had the key spells in all three circles when I was at the training to use them. Swimming,perception, climbing, and trade I did in spurts as needed.I don't like falling or drowning so as soon as I run into being a bit under trained I concentrate on them. Currently at 57 with the set of skills below and having no problems. Its pretty hard to mess up training as long as you have the spells at the right time and keep spell aim at 2X...

Armor Use..........................| 20 4
Physical Fitness...................| 105 25
Arcane Symbols.....................| 159 59
Magic Item Use.....................| 159 59
Spell Aiming.......................| 236 136
Harness Power......................| 214 114
Elemental Mana Control.............| 159 59
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 102 24
Perception.........................| 143 43
Climbing...........................| 150 50
Swimming...........................| 150 50
Trading............................| 174 74

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 57

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 57

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 25

Re: Training Question 06/23/2015 10:10 PM CDT
I found no problems with mana ever, or needing outside spells until well past 20. When you hit Tree Spirits at least having a statue rub is nice. Now in the Citadel I like having ranger colors and mobility, a statue, and a look and dim, but that's up hunting and you can actually hunt there with just mage spells and a statue and survive most hunts. Its combat maneuvers and webs that are the threat there.

Re: Training Question 06/24/2015 04:41 PM CDT
Back to Trouble: So... Encumbrance is a factor in a lot of game mechanics. Evade DS (which we get from Blur, mobility, other stuffs). Maneuver Defense (Both SMR and CMAN), aiming if you're using a bow, and just other stuff.. Ohh, and the MIU equation, and of course enchanting. Being encumbered is bad.

Rroy's approach is one that I recommend for Bards, who tend to be able to 'complete' training and have a LOT more longer term completable bonuses compared to wizards. With all of our spell circles scaling with continued training, marginal benefits become rather moot as early as level 30 for a pure build. You're not really 'finishing' anything except for maybe Armor use and Elemental Lore: Air. Rroy's build itself lacks 1x PF, and 1x Perception... which is fine up til the mid 50s... but post 60, SMR and CMANs will be prevalent in pretty much every hunting ground. And taking those points from trading and reinvesting more heavily into MIU/Wizard circle would probably create a viable enchanting build, which would likely generate more silvers than the additional trading skill.

I would NEVER recommend a full 2x HP for life. While +15 mana a pulse can seem awesome, at the TP cost it's equivalent of 1/4th of a spell. Additionally, once the game starts to stabilize in the 40s level range, you'll be able to utilize mana leech (516) to a much higher potential, and should no longer really have any mana problems. Even if I were to hunt purely casting, as an archer mage, I probably wouldn't burn through all of my 300 mana in a hunt at cap. I'd much rather +25 DS/+8 ETD from Wizard circle, or +17 CS in MjE if you're already at level for MjE.

+1 mana when you have 200 Mana is not, and should not be, weighted with the same priority as +1 mana when you have 20 mana.

Ohh, and before I stop the HP discussion... If you're at like, 129 MP... definitely overtrain HP to get 130, or whatever value would end up resulting in an additional pulse in/out of a node... Or dumping an extra rank into EMC to get +1 Mana/pulse early.

To Throgg... By the maths, the 1st rank in either MIU/AS is incredibly advantageous compared to spell ranks... (I'm sure you knew this... it was just a little ambiguous based on the animosity of AS in your post). Since you're dealing with 32 ranks of MIU/AS to 1 spell rank. Going off of memory from when I last did the math, The second rank is DS advantageous dependent upon stance, assuming that you're not putting the rank into MnE (which otherwise would favor AS/MIU, due to low DS/LvL in MnE). AS also factors slightly into enchanting cast success, and scrolls can really buff you if you're moving to a new hunting ground. But yeah, 2x is not a hard or fast rule, and comes to personal preference.

~Whirlin
Re: Training Question 06/24/2015 09:41 PM CDT
Lots of good points Whirlin, what is SMR though? I'd read that PF is nice at 1X around cap. Also in combat what will perception help with? Currently I'm getting some SMC so I can send to my friends who share magic. I have played a lot of mages over the years, but just returned at the beginning of the year from a huge gap and forgot a lot of things.

I like training in different things in spurts, when combat isn't a problem I dup the points in HP, when it is I skip it for awhile. When I move to a new area I concentrate on whatever is needed. Its not hard to milk a few points when training as well. Normally as I get the points I train the spells, but its no big deal to spend the points elsewhere and get the 2 spells when you level and get the clump of points even if a few short you can get them within a brief time.

I think, i'll get some more PF after a few ranks of SMC if you think that its going to have significant impact on getting hit by the CMs.

My last mage was post cap, and trained in brawling, dodge, as well as all the normal stuff, I was working on CMs when I left. I guess the fixskills ability to go from 0 in a skill to 1X in something, by instantly draining a few skills down like trade.

With encumbrance I been using the 100 Lbs potion from the Simucoins, and along with sting pots, and bounty vouchers am probably spending Premie money, I like them better than the premie perks.

Re: Training Question 06/25/2015 12:34 AM CDT
SMR is short for Standard Maneuver Roll. This is anything from 'creature' maneuvers to spells like boil, spike thorn, and ewave. Pretty much anytime you don't see an equation when you are attacked it is an SMR, there are some exceptions but they are usually easy enough to figure out.
Re: Training Question 06/25/2015 02:00 AM CDT
TROUBLE13
SMR is short for Standard Maneuver Roll. This is anything from 'creature' maneuvers to spells like boil, spike thorn, and ewave. Pretty much anytime you don't see an equation when you are attacked it is an SMR, there are some exceptions but they are usually easy enough to figure out.

Boil Earth (917) and Spike Thorn (616) do not use the Standard Maneuver Roll.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Training Question 06/25/2015 09:14 AM CDT
I disagree that 300 mana is "enough" at cap. I think most wizards would struggle a bit in the Rift with only 300 mana, especially in the scatter. But I also think even a new player is quite capable of determining for themselves how much mana is enough. That's why I advise minimum 1x/maximum 2x harness power (until post cap, of course). If 1x is getting you through and you don't feel the pinch on mana, then stick with 1x. If you want more, I feel the cost is worth it up to a point. The difference between 1x and 2x is up to about 33%. Keeping in mind that this applies not only to a larger mana pool, but also to your mana leech cap as well as your pulses. It's a significant difference, even if the point cost is high relative to the return on 1x training.

~Taverkin
Re: Training Question 06/25/2015 09:40 AM CDT
>>I disagree that 300 mana is "enough" at cap. I think most wizards would struggle a bit in the Rift with only 300 mana, especially in the scatter. But I also think even a new player is quite capable of determining for themselves how much mana is enough. That's why I advise minimum 1x/maximum 2x harness power (until post cap, of course). If 1x is getting you through and you don't feel the pinch on mana, then stick with 1x. If you want more, I feel the cost is worth it up to a point. The difference between 1x and 2x is up to about 33%. Keeping in mind that this applies not only to a larger mana pool, but also to your mana leech cap as well as your pulses. It's a significant difference, even if the point cost is high relative to the return on 1x training.

A lot of people also get attached to a particular town which means they'll end up hunting creatures that soak up more mana to kill instead of going after the easy kills. There are also some level ranges in the game that are just kind of awkward to find something good to hunt. People also have different standards of hunting. Quite a few figure they are successful if they've hit must rest and others(Like you and I) don't consider it a success unless the bounty was finished. And it seems to me that most people who say 1x is enough fall into the must rest category.
Re: Training Question 06/25/2015 10:58 AM CDT
One of the wonderful things about this game is that you can fluctuate. I 2Xed HP until I had leech, then I cut off training in it to build up climb and swim. Then I started dumping all my points after 2X in SA and 1X in MIU,AS, and EMC, into HP again. Now I'm getting enough SMC so I can send for the spells when I ask for them. Once I have that adequate. I'll go to the PF and get that up to 1X since it will help with CM attacks. Even without fixskills you don't have to be rigid in training. You can be 1X now 2x later then drop back to 1X again.

My last character was more than double cap, and thus training is even more flexible. That's why I stated in a different thread that FixSkills is a lot more powerful then FixStat regardless of the price and especially now we have all the enhansives.

I'm looking forward to all the new areas since I played a long time ago. The RIFT basic, and OTF were the only choices then. When I'm at the cap I'll decide which area I prefer and adjust my skills into what works the best there. Everyone will have the core set by cap, and then its just a matter of whats important to you. If 1X in HP gets you fried and you like short hunts that will be good enough. If it takes more than 1X HP or you like extended hunts you can 2X or even 3X.

Its pretty hard to screw up training as long as you 2X SA and spells, and even then fixing is just a few Simucoins away.

Re: Training Question 06/25/2015 11:13 AM CDT
On the side of having extra HP, the extra mana also allows mages to spell up more people without it causing hardship. I spend most of my time hunting, but I love to sling spells on folks too. We are the top profession at casting spells to defend others....