TWC Warrior - looking for CMAN suggestions 05/09/2017 07:11 PM CDT
So while I already have a THW warrior I wanted to find a home for my two moon broadswords so I rolled up a new TWC warrior and he just reached level 20 today. I'm looking to do a few 'odd' things with this character and was hoping some folks could chime in with some additional feedback on CMAN training choices and skills training if you'd like as well.

Basic concept/thoughts for this character:
- The character concept is to try and emulate a wind-dancer or similar lightly armored / hard to hit / evasive fighter style.
- He is dual wielding broadswords - this takes quite a lot of AGI/DEX in order to achieve 5 second RT so in order to achieve this and still have stats set for capping at 100 I went with an Elf.
- I've chosen to have his end game armor to be brigandine (oddly enough 6xHCP armor for the time being) with the thought that his Redux combined with the armor padding should provide adequate secondary defense to his primary dodge and parry skills. Additionally I am counting on the low armor maneuver penalties to help in his defense as well. I'm not interested in going the plate route but if someone wants to make a case for chain or doubles I'd be interested in hearing it.
- I do have some concerns about TD defense later in life with the lighter armor and will probably look to address that at some point via Ensorcell and potentially CMAN training as well.

Skill at level 20:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Two Weapon Combat..................| 144 44
Armor Use..........................| 120 30
Combat Maneuvers...................| 144 44
Edged Weapons......................| 144 44
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 96 22
Physical Fitness...................| 114 28
Dodging............................| 130 35
Magic Item Use.....................| 96 22
Survival...........................| 96 22
Perception.........................| 96 22
First Aid..........................| 96 22

Skill Notes:
- Armor training stopped at 30 but may look to over train to reduce maneuver penalty and add more ARMOR skill down the road.
- MOC: Short term goal to get to 30 Ranks so I can begin training CMAN: Whirling Dervish!
- PF: Stared pushing this with leftover points the last few levels to help achieve / improve redux sooner.
- Dodging: Started at 1x and recently pushed to 1.5x. Longer term goal of getting this to 2x.
- MIU: Since this character will be hunting in the East (lots of spellburst later in life) and my characters tend to hunt with only wizard spells and are otherwise self sufficient I thought 1x MIU would help with the spellburst as well as add some time when using small statues.
- Survival/Perception/First Aid: 1x in each to support doing herb and skinning bounties.

CMAN Training and goals through cap:
Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Specialization I wspec1 2
Surge of Strength surge 1
Parry Mastery pmastery 2
Evade Mastery emastery 2

Available Combat Maneuver Training Points: 12

CMAN Notes:
- Pushed pmastery and emastery to 2 ranks right out the gate to increase his defense. Looking to leverage pmastery with Spell Parry Rank 3 eventually as well.
- He's in a good place at the moment so saving the CMAN points to put into Parry Mastery Rank 3 at 23 (when Rank 3 becomes available) and to train up quickly in Whirling Dervish once I hit 30 ranks in MOC.
- pmastery Rank 3 ASAP (strong defense to offset the lower armor) with twice the benefit due to using dual blades.
- emastery Rank 3 later on to again build on the defense side.
- Whirling Dervish Rank 3 - Best defense is a good offense. This seems like a fun CMAN and one that plays well with the character I have in mind.
- sparry Rank 3 This seems like a natural tie in with the pmastery 3 training and the dual blades.
- Surge of Strength will eventually go to 3 ranks since it provides a bonus to both weapons and helps provide more up-time. Plus it's useful towards the end of a hunt when you sometimes pick up one box too many but aren't ready to leave.
- Wspec1 eventually to 4 ranks for the +8 bonus to both weapons.
- Combat Toughness Rank 2 - provide some additional health to increase survival for this elf! I could scale back to 1 rank if I needed the points to do something different.
- Combat Mobility Rank 2 - More training to help offset being in lighter armor / no shield.
- Combat Focus Rank 4 adds +8 TD to help offset lighter armor TD penalty.
- Stance of the Mongoose - I'm still torn on this one - it can't be up at the same time as Whirling Dervish but seems like it might have its place as well where I could choose between Dervish and Mongoose based on where I was hunting. Thoughts on this maneuver?
- Oddly, I am seriously considering NOT training in weapon bonding. I feel the other CMANs support the overall character concept better. Dropping Mongoose entirely and dropping Combat Toughness down to Rank 1 would allow me to pick up this skill for full benefit though.

Any and all feedback requested and appreciated!

-- Robert
Re: TWC Warrior - looking for CMAN suggestions 05/09/2017 08:36 PM CDT
Highly recommend hamstring as a disabler. I love dervish.
Re: TWC Warrior - looking for CMAN suggestions 05/09/2017 11:32 PM CDT
>> Highly recommend hamstring as a disabler.

I'll give it a try! I dropped Mongoose from my list, dropped Combat Toughness to Rank 1 on my list, which gives me enough points to take 5 ranks of Hamstring. I'll take a couple ranks out the gate and see if the 'sizable' bonus for having two weapons makes it usable early on or not.

-- Robert
Re: TWC Warrior - looking for CMAN suggestions 05/09/2017 11:42 PM CDT
I was finally able to put my dual moonblades to the test tonight. One flares sleep and the other flares nightmares. They don't flare all that frequently but so far they're a lot of fun!

>attack
You swing a haon-hilted blued steel broadsword at a bay centaur ranger!
AS: +227 vs DS: +135 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +83 = +212
... and hit for 32 points of damage!
Hesitant slash to the bay centaur ranger's upper right arm!
Just a scratch.
You swing a fel-hilted blued steel broadsword at a bay centaur ranger!
AS: +222 vs DS: +134 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +21 = +146
... and hit for 15 points of damage!
Awkward slash to the bay centaur ranger's stomach!
Everyone needs another belly button.
Black wisps of smoke emit from your blued steel broadsword and whirl around a bay centaur ranger!
A shiver passes through a bay centaur ranger.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>
A bay centaur ranger flinches and cringes at nothing.
>
A bay centaur ranger gallops north holding one of her hooves off the ground.
>n
[Rambling Meadows, Hilltop]
The lingering odor of burnt wood rises from the scorched earth near a fallen pile of partially consumed timber, perhaps the site of an old pyre or similar structure. Meadow grasses have grown up in between the charcoaled logs, indicating that the fire occurred some time ago. You also see a bay centaur ranger and a crested basilisk. (I edited out the combat with the basilisk.)
Obvious paths: east, south, southwest, west
>
A bay centaur ranger suddenly looks terrified!
>
A bay centaur ranger removes a plain wooden arrow from in her quiver.
A bay centaur ranger fires a plain wooden arrow at you!
AS: +201 vs DS: +206 with AvD: +23 + d100 roll: +76 = +94
A clean miss.
The wooden arrow breaks apart and crumbles away.
>
A bay centaur ranger begins to sob pitifully.
She falls to her knees!
>
A bay centaur ranger is able to move again.
>
A bay centaur ranger cries out in agony!
>
A bay centaur ranger struggles to rise but fails in the attempt.
>attack
AS: +227 vs DS: +110 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +80 = +234
... and hit for 40 points of damage!
Smash to the kneecap.
AS: +222 vs DS: +106 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +92 = +245
... and hit for 43 points of damage!
Strike pierces forearm!
The bay centaur ranger is stunned!

A bay centaur ranger is able to move again.
>attack
AS: +227 vs DS: +104 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +62 = +222
... and hit for 37 points of damage!
Slash across right eye!
Hope the left is working.
The bay centaur ranger is stunned!
AS: +222 vs DS: +102 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +91 = +248
... and hit for 48 points of damage!
Slash to the bay centaur ranger's chest!
Breathe deep, it'll feel better in a minute.
The bay centaur ranger screams one last time and dies.
A bay centaur ranger returns to normal color.
The powerful look leaves a bay centaur ranger.
The light blue glow leaves a bay centaur ranger.
The air about a bay centaur ranger stops shimmering.
A bay centaur ranger seems to lose an aura of confidence.

-- Robert
Re: TWC Warrior - looking for CMAN suggestions 05/10/2017 06:15 AM CDT
Any particular reason you went with warrior for this? If so, follow through on that. I'd need a reason to rule out first rogue, then monk before looking at a warrior for this style.
Re: TWC Warrior - looking for CMAN suggestions 05/10/2017 08:49 AM CDT
>> Any particular reason you went with warrior for this?

Honestly I considered rogue and monk as well.

- I already have a rogue that uses TWC (albiet very differently since they are a shadow ambusher at this time). I didn't see anything in rogue cmans that made me a compelling case (not that it doesn't exist). I did toy with utilizing CMAN coupedegrace which I think would be better suited for a rogue vs. a warrior (more opportunities to disable your opponent from what I can see).
- I didn't think the monk class had much to offer for TWC (I could be wrong, my current monk isn't even train 20 yet).
- Warrior is the only profession that can take both pmastery and emastery so seemed best suited to take advantage of the dual blades (twice the opportunity to parry at a high percent chance) plus the bonus to evade as well.
- Tangentially, I also need a guild partner for my existing THW warrior if I ever want to make some significant progress with his warrior guild skills (since I absolutely hate pestering people to help with partner reps). So I am toying with splitting this character off to a basic account for a month or three to get both warriors up in their partner guild reps. Everything else being equal, this would be the tie breaker vote.

That's roughly what my thoughts were... at which point I dove in and started trying to figure out how best to make this warrior work!

-- Robert
Re: TWC Warrior - looking for CMAN suggestions 06/09/2017 08:48 AM CDT
So I've been playing around with Hamstring (up to 4 ranks in it now) and it seems pretty effective.

One of my original goals for this character was to have them make use of Coup de Grace but at the time I hadn't factored in an effective tool to set my opponent up (they need to be incapacitated). With hamstring being only 3 seconds RT and very reliable at causing at least 1 round of stun (based on my limited testing so far) it seems like a natural setup maneuver for Coup de Grace.

So with that in mind, here's the current CMAN training plan/goals for my moon-blade wielding warrior:

Whirling Dervish: 3
Hamstring: 5
Coupe de Grace: 5

Weapon Specialization: 4
Surge of Strength: 1

Evade Mastery: 3
Parry Mastery: 3
Combat Mobility: 2
Spell Parry: 3
Combat Toughness: 1
Combat Focus: 1

I'm still not sure if I will get the mileage out of Spell Parry or not but it seems like a natural when you wield two weapons and have 3 ranks in Parry Mastery.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the revised plan?

-- Robert

* Wyrom was just vaporized!
Re: TWC Warrior - looking for CMAN suggestions 06/09/2017 12:57 PM CDT
Can you hamstring critters that are prone? Prone critters are immune to a lot of manoevers which can make getting coup on them difficult.
Re: TWC Warrior - looking for CMAN suggestions 06/09/2017 01:46 PM CDT
Looks like not - not sure if that's a huge concern or not though.

>cman hamstring
You quickly dart behind an ogre warrior and try to hamstring it with your blued steel broadsword and blued steel broadsword!
[Roll result: 130 (open d100: 9) Bonus: 18]
With a vicious double-strike you slash at the ogre warrior's right hamstring!
... 21 points of damage!
The ogre warrior falls to the ground grasping its mangled right leg in agony!
The ogre warrior is stunned!
Roundtime: 3 sec.
>look
[Neartofar Forest, Stockade]
Within the stockade's high log walls, bare soil has been trampled into firm pavement by thousands of booted feet. In the center of the square courtyard stands a squat wooden blockhouse, apparently constructed with neither windows nor doors. A steep, shallow stairway cut into the logs runs parallel to the wall, leading to a rampart above. You also see an ogre warrior that appears stunned.
Obvious paths: northeast, northwest, up, out

>cman hamstring
The ogre warrior is already lying down!

Robert

Re: TWC Warrior - looking for CMAN suggestions 06/10/2017 07:44 AM CDT
You have to damage it a fair amount before using coup, which will put it on the ground and unable to stand some fraction of the time. I do find these immunities annoying from time to time (and exploit them by lying down for some fights) but if you are happy to just take off its head without using coup when that happens its not going to bother you.
Re: TWC Warrior - looking for CMAN suggestions 06/10/2017 10:52 AM CDT
Is there an alternative Warrior CMAN that might fit in with this build better?

-- Robert

Re: TWC Warrior - looking for CMAN suggestions 06/10/2017 11:53 AM CDT
I used haymaker when I needed a CMan to stun prone critters for coup. I'm not sure whether you'd want to spend the points on that though, unless setting up for coup was really critical for your character. (It was for the build I used it on) These days I use punch head (or jab if I accidentally tier up) rather than a CMan on prone targets.
Re: TWC Warrior - looking for CMAN suggestions 06/10/2017 11:55 AM CDT
Thanks. It isn't THAT critical. I'll wait and see how annoying it is in practice once I get the skills trained.

I mean... if they are already prone there's nothing wrong with just stabbing them a few more times either. :p

-- Robert

Re: TWC Warrior - looking for CMAN suggestions 06/12/2017 10:00 AM CDT
I played around with the Hamstring + Coup combo a little bit with arctic titans + frost giants up on the glacier, because you could get in some good solid hits on everything up there--including uncorking a whole-room MStrike, rather than just a single-target one--what with them being giant-sized and all, with all those HPs.
Then, having enough ranks of Coup--because, well, giant-sized and all, with all those HPs--to do in one would give you pretty good bonuses against everything else in the room.

It's fun. Maybe not the most efficient way to do things, but fun.