Acquiring Mana 12/21/2016 05:16 PM CST
So, my warrior is progressing through Guardians of Sunfist and has picked up some skills that require mana to use. HP is expensive and I'm pretty much using all TPs every level. He's about 30. I'm wondering if I should back off of some skills and put a few in HP or buy an enhancive for that sweet, sweet mana.

Training is roughly:
3x Armor
2x CM
2x THW
1x MOC
2.5x PF
2x Dodge
1x Perception
.5x Climb/Swim
1x FA
Re: Acquiring Mana 12/21/2016 09:49 PM CST
Only thing really different for my training was that I only doubled Physical Fitness and singled dodging, while I didn't train in first aid at all. Triple training armor will definitely make things tight at first. Once I had enough training for plate somewhere in the 40's, I stopped training armor use completely until it had come back to 2x. Now I'm keeping up with that pace. That made it pretty easy to catch up on things like HP during the 50's and 60's.

Glurph

>wtrick tslice
You try to stuff your razern morning star in your ear.
Re: Acquiring Mana 12/22/2016 12:34 AM CST
Many of the treasure-found Enhancives are cheap and easy ways to come into a few mana points.

Ranks of Harness Power are worth more, since they will give you +3/rank (as long as you have no more ranks than your level).

Unfortunately, you have no way of knowing just what that 232098-cost item on the miscellaneous or magic table at the pawnshop actually DOES, so it's a crapshoot.

Playershops may be a good bet.
Re: Acquiring Mana 12/22/2016 07:21 AM CST
I've a young warrior (level 10) and I had him train 10 ranks of HP (more than he needs, but I like to be sure I can use my COL signs constantly at a younger level).

2x Armor (22 ranks)
2x CM (22 ranks)
2x THW (22 ranks)
2x MOC (22 ranks)
2x PF (22 ranks)
1x Dodging (11 ranks)
10 ranks HP
1x Climbing (11 ranks: I'll do this until 25 ranks, then pick up again after level 50)
1x Swimming (11 ranks: I'll do this until 20 ranks, then pick up again after level 50)

I'll be looking towards FA or perhaps Perception now that I'm done with HP and as points build I'll work in extra Armor Use to get that up to full plate level.

In your situation, I'd drop off dodge and MOC to 1x (and stop climb/swim if it was necessary to free up a couple extra points) a couple of trainings and use the spare points to pick up atleast 5 ranks of HP. After that, go back to your normal training. As a warrior in heavy armor, you're built to take hits. A couple of trainings where you only single in Dodge and MOC won't make much of a difference. At least, that's what I'd do.

-Drumpel
Re: Acquiring Mana 12/22/2016 09:00 AM CST
Back when creatures were casting Dark Catalyst, and mana "just happened" based on your stats when you leveled (you didn't have to train in Harness Power), you'd have melee guys walking around with 90 or 150 mana (my characters at those levels, for example). This could get dangerous.
So I got into the habit of 'infuse <most of it>' to stay down to "nearly none", just in case. And when we switched and had to start training it, I stopped after I got to "enough" for powering the signs.

Note that since your Council signs last longer as you gain levels, you actually need less mana as you get higher. My warrior in the low 30's has only about 12 mana total, and for some reason my thief (who just recently made 50, yaaay me) has 15.

Another thing that I do is start the defensive Signs, staunching, and <the one on the F5 key, bolt DS, whatever it's called [the one that takes mana]> as I'm going into an area (so that I can start recovering when I get a field pulse), but I don't activate the offensive ones until I stumble across the first creature; that's when I put up the one that gives TD/costs spirit, too.
This can frequently be a minute or more.

Since they're on a staggered schedule, I don't get hit with ALL the mana or spirit costs to re-toke them all at the same time; I'm also not drained low enough to suffer AS/DS penalties because they don't all happen at once. This lets me get a pulse (and pay for my DS signs) and then later get another and pay for the other set.

Basically, exactly the opposite of a "mana spellup", where everything fires at once and sets you at pretty much exactly the same wear-off point.
Re: Acquiring Mana 12/23/2016 01:19 AM CST
<Note that since your Council signs last longer as you gain levels, you actually need less mana as you get higher. My warrior in the low 30's has only about 12 mana total, and for some reason my thief (who just recently made 50, yaaay me) has 15.>

I'm curious what signs you keep up that you need so much mana?

My rogue is in COL and never had any more ranks in HP (he started with 4 mana, I believe). Never needed any more then that until he learned 403/404, though I did have to pay attention to mana levels when he very first got his signs. Before level 20 the signs I keep up when hunting ran long enough that the pulses that hit before they dropped filled me up... but I never saw much need to have anything other then smiting, striking, and swords up.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Acquiring Mana 12/23/2016 08:37 AM CST
>In your situation, I'd drop off dodge and MOC to 1x (and stop climb/swim if it was necessary to free up a couple extra points) a couple of trainings and use the spare points to pick up atleast 5 ranks of HP. After that, go back to your normal training. As a warrior in heavy armor, you're built to take hits. A couple of trainings where you only single in Dodge and MOC won't make much of a difference. At least, that's what I'd do.

This sounds logical. Thanks.
Re: Acquiring Mana 12/23/2016 08:57 AM CST
Warding (DS) and Striking (AS) take one (1) each.
Defending (DS) and Smiting (AS) take two (2) each.
Clotting (no-bleed) or Staunching (no-bleed) take one (1) each.
Deflection (bolt DS?) takes... I forget. One? Three?

So just to get the AS, DS, and not bleeding, would be seven (7) mana. It's a neat trick to keep those running with only four (4).

The occasional use of Thought (isn't that also 1?) may be relevant, for anyone still using amulets.
Re: Acquiring Mana 12/23/2016 11:33 AM CST
<So just to get the AS, DS, and not bleeding, would be seven (7) mana. It's a neat trick to keep those running with only four (4).>

My empath is my only character that ever made regular use of clotting/staunching, and that was before Trolls Blood existed (other characters use it in emergencies). Though if she ever ends up being the only empath in town during an invasion again, she'll make use of it for sure... She racked up several bleeders of 1000+/per doing that back in the days of Sankir.

Warding/Defending I use so little I tend to forget they're there. If something manages to catch my rogue in the open and hit him with an AS attack, it's going to hit him hard enough the extra DS won't make much difference. The others in CoL have a high enough DS without it that they don't worry about most AS/DS attacks.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Acquiring Mana 12/23/2016 12:27 PM CST
All of my melee characters--which included Krakii, when she still hunted; and the bolting Mage, because "parry 0 to cast a bolt"--always ran Clotting (and later Staunching, once they learned it), just as a preventive measure. Take a bleeding wound? NOW, with less bleeding.
(i.e. "having it already running" means that you are pre-emptively stopped from bleeding, when you receive a wound that would, now, have you bleeding.)

And, of course, "extra DS for melee characters" never hurts. So, the Fighter & Thief & Mage & Cleric all run them the same way.

The other 26 characters aren't in any society at all, because too much bother AND no "Thou Shalt Hunt This Kind Of Beastie" (undead if Voln, Grimswarm if Sunfist) feeling of compulsion.