Pleasant Surprise! 09/12/2016 01:03 PM CDT
So I recently resurrected my account and was plugging my warrior into the old spreadsheet. Here's what he has:

Sarmoya (at level 21), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 163 63
Combat Maneuvers...................| 142 42
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 142 42
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 93 21
Physical Fitness...................| 153 53
Dodging............................| 142 42
Perception.........................| 54 11
Climbing...........................| 10 2
Swimming...........................| 25 5
First Aid..........................| 93 21

(he just leveled to 22, but I haven't done skills yet).

Much to my surprise, the spreadsheet told me I have 200+ Mental TPs! I checked, and it's true! What I should I do with them? Try to get to 30 in MOC? More Perception? Ideas welcome.
Re: Pleasant Surprise! 09/12/2016 06:31 PM CDT
<What I should I do with them? Try to get to 30 in MOC? More Perception? Ideas welcome.>

I'd get Ambush training if I was in your place. Opinions differ on how much you should have, but you should be able to get and maintain .5x in it. Along with your CM training, that should be enough to have decent success with AMBUSHing from the open, depending on what body part you aim for.

30 ranks in MOC is nice, but you'll get that soon anyway if you continue 1x in it. Perception I always train 1x or more in or don't bother with at all, the benefits to having .5x just aren't noticeable to me (unless there's a hunting ground that requires a specific number of ranks to get into that you're working towards or something).

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Pleasant Surprise! 09/12/2016 06:48 PM CDT
I've never done open ambushing. Why is that something I might pursue?
Re: Pleasant Surprise! 09/12/2016 07:23 PM CDT
You can "aim" your attack from the open using the AMBUSH verb (as opposed to KIll or ATTACK).

So you can "ambush lion head", or "am lio hea" or something for more speed via parser, or set a macro, or you could set the body location you want to normally aim for ahead of time via AIM HEAD for example so as to now only need to "am lion", or a combination of all!

The ability to hit the targeted body part (head/neck is common) for nice fatal swings or stuns, or at least drastically reducing their defense, abilities to hide or cast on non fatal attacks, is influenced by a combination of Combat Maneuvers and Ambush ranks. Also the size on the weapon base you are using, and some stats.

Overall it is better then blindly swinging and hoping you hit a good spot.

If it was from hiding, the ambush verb would only use your ambush ranks, add critical weighting to your attack, and do a DS pushdown to the target's stance. But that is like a rogue so blahhh!

Here's a wiki link:

https://gswiki.play.net/Ambush
Re: Pleasant Surprise! 09/12/2016 07:41 PM CDT
Untrained, ambushing in the open adds to seconds to my RT. Is that typical, or would training push that down?
Re: Pleasant Surprise! 09/12/2016 07:56 PM CDT
You can train it down, but it will always add 1 second.

Usually, the increased precision of your swings will make up for that time.

Gave you the wrong link before (though you could find this ambush verb link in the last one)

https://gswiki.play.net/AMBUSH_(verb)
Re: Pleasant Surprise! 09/12/2016 08:59 PM CDT
Whoops, meant to say it adds 2 seconds. The link says the reduction comes from DEX and AGI, so not training?
Re: Pleasant Surprise! 09/12/2016 10:37 PM CDT
Correct, primarily those two stat bonuses. The wiki has the combined bonuses show how much bonus you need to reduce.

However, your rt can be high from insufficient armor training for your worn armor (or wearing a helm or other accessories forcing it to a higher armor type), encumbrance, spell/cman effects, etc.
Re: Pleasant Surprise! 09/13/2016 04:17 AM CDT

Clunk uses open ambush almost exclusively for his weapon based fighting. As a dwarf, he found out young that larger critters were less imposing when brought down to dwarf level, so he trained to fight that way.

The RT decreases with over-training in armor. This is important to know since most shorter fighters almost always need to wear a helmet of some sort.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Pleasant Surprise! 09/13/2016 05:55 AM CDT
>Whoops, meant to say it adds 2 seconds. The link says the reduction comes from DEX and AGI, so not training?

The base time is 3s longer, you probably had 1s worth of AGIDEX more than you could use on the base swing, the minimum is 1s longer.

>Much to my surprise, the spreadsheet told me I have 200+ Mental TPs! I checked, and it's true! What I should I do with them?

Train fully.

You were level 21, but you have the training for level 19. Ranks for level 0 and the level you are working towards are available to you, so on anything important 1x means level+2 and 2x means 2*level+4. At level 21 you should have had 46 ranks in THW.

Get those missing ranks and you'll find your surplus disappears.
Re: Pleasant Surprise! 09/13/2016 12:55 PM CDT
>You were level 21, but you have the training for level 19. Ranks for level 0 and the level you are working towards are available to you, so on anything important 1x means level+2 and 2x means 2*level+4. At level 21 you should have had 46 ranks in THW.

I like this if for no other reason than it gets me to hauberk a little bit quicker.