Returning to game, could use some advice 12/04/2015 10:06 AM CST
I'm doing play for free after not playing for 20 years. (I played waaaayyy back in the old AOL days). I seem to have forgotten almost everything, and it seems a lot has changed.

I've seen the wiki, but it seems to be a bit too general/sparse. Is there a good, up to date warrior guide? Is there a good up to date general guide? I seem to remember something about deeds and dying, and level 5. About being able to communicate in channels. And I am not quite sure how to train properly, we didn't get these free points back in the day. I always have too many mental points left.

I'm only level 3, but I know you can screw things up early. Any tips are appreciated. Dwarf warrior.

Name: Gloindar
Race: Dwarf
Profession: Warrior
Shown: No

Expr: 12263
Level: 3

Norm.(Bon.) / Enh.(Bon.)
STR: 91 (30) / 91 (30)
CON: 91 (35) / 91 (35)
DEX: 90 (20) / 90 (20)
AGI: 90 (15) / 90 (15)
DIS: 71 (20) / 71 (20)
AUR: 70 (0) / 70 (0)
LOG: 50 (5) / 50 (5)
INT: 41 (-4) / 41 (-4)
WIS: 51 (0) / 51 (0)
INF: 23 (-23) / 23 (-23)
Mana: 0
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/04/2015 01:21 PM CST
First, welcome back!

Regarding the wiki, here is a general (new player) guide:

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/New_player_guide

As for warrior specifics, posting here or on the unofficial forums (Players Corner) under http://forum.gsplayers.com/forumdisplay.php?31-Warrior is the best bet.

It is not as dire to "screw things up early" anymore due to free yearly fixskills, your current instant skill migration and 5 free chances to change stats (I assume you are still within your first 30 days if level 3), and then later earning or buying fixskills or fixstats through the Adventurer's Guild or Simustore.

However, if you still have the option to reassign stats when checking into an inn (you really only need to use an inn nowadays to use this option in the first 30 days, convert to another profession if applicable, update your FAME on the lists, and I think to get initial Redux still, or not), you should reduce your starting STR, CON, DEX, & AGI stats somewhat. You can especially lower your prime STR & CON stats as they will grow quickly. Raise LOG & WIS as high as you can, to better gain experience and raise spirit TD. I'm not sure which is the current calculator being used but maybe this one.

http://cmnservicesgroup.com/lostranger/a-growth-gs4.php

If you have alot of time within your first 30 days yet and are playing often (and won't forget to save and use a final fixstat just before your 30 days from character creation is complete) you can raise LOG to 100 or near there for quicker trial leveling and then scale it back somewhat for growth.

Your skill training will depend on what you envision your character to be but some general rules:

2x-3x Armor Use - get to full plate or plate class at least soon as you can
Possibly 2x Shield Use if you want a shield or access to the Shield Maneuvers
2x Combat Maneuvers - for AS (+1 per 2 ranks), CMAN points for skills, and helps open AIMing of your strikes
2X X Weapon skill
2X Physical Fitness - Prime Redux skill, HP, HP recovery, creature maneuver defense and more
1X Multi Opponent Combat
0-2X Dodging - depending on if you are using and training a shield, can even go 3x but with 3x armor use likely strain your TPs

The rest is extra but likely some climb/swim depending on where you hunt but more so climb then swim to start off and can likely wait awhile on either; some MIU or arcane symbols if want to buff with spells on your own and to get to Broken lands and some places; some Harness Power if you join a certain society; I recommend 1x Perception for various reasons but is also a part of creature maneuver defense; Survival & First Aid if you want to skin (and tend, ignore/delay environmental effects like cold weather).

Hope this helps to start.
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/04/2015 03:04 PM CST

For a free play warrior you can't beat a claid. The new combat maneuvers skills are a blast. You should at least experiment with a one hander/shield as some of the shield maneuvers are fun as well and might be just your thing.
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/04/2015 04:41 PM CST
>some Harness Power if you join a certain society

If you're a F2P account and are not planning to regularly pay for a society pass, I wouldn't join a society that requires mana. Just join Voln and rank up when the infrequent 3-day society passes fall in your lap.

Don't forget to get the Berserk CMAN skill ASAP, since you won't have Warrior Guild access either.
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/04/2015 08:01 PM CST
So can I F2P as long as I want, or only for 30 days?

It feels like I have more TP than I need to cover your suggestions - maybe I should screen shot where I'm at and post it?

So I should use that stat calc and then just enter the values it spits out?

Appreciate the help.
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/04/2015 08:13 PM CST
You can F2P as long as you want. Subscribing (or paying for a la carte Simustore boosts) will make the restrictions go away. If you haven't played for awhile and been F2P then I guess it won't feel like restrictions and upping would be a big bonus.

If you did, however, you cannot revert to F2P.

You can use the calc, I'd test it and tweak your numbers using INFO START and current INFO/stats to make sure it is looking good, though level 0-3 isn't much of a spread for inconsistencies.

Go ahead and post the screen shot of present skills.
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/04/2015 08:44 PM CST
>So can I F2P as long as I want, or only for 30 days?

You can F2P as long as you want, but you can only freely change your stats in the first 30 days. You can also (almost) instantly change your skills in that time window.

To change your stats later on, you need a very expensive potion.

To change your skills later on, you need the annual fixskills (not sure if F2P gets it; I know they do start with one, though), a less expensive fixskill potion, or a heck of a lot of patience.
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/05/2015 09:16 AM CST
Any chance you can just suggest some numbers for me to fix my base stats? I gotta admit I am totally lost. It doesn't have to be tweaked to perfection.

Here's a screenie of my training so far. I've been using a Drake Longsword I got at the pawnshop. I do remember the Claid being awesome... not sure where to get one.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48702/skkk.png
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/05/2015 10:57 AM CST
> I do remember the Claid being awesome... not sure where to get one.

If you're in the Landing, you can get one from the weapon shop backroom, or from killing a hobgoblin in Ocama Vale (or however it's spelled). Just don't let one hit you in the process!
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/05/2015 11:47 AM CST

I've bought over 50 daggers from Tykel, but still no Claid in the backroom. What do I need to do?
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/05/2015 12:18 PM CST
Dern dwarves are never around when you need 'em.

Doug
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/05/2015 12:56 PM CST
I can get you a claidhmore, or anyone with backroom access at the Landing Weapon shop. Look for, or think to Roblar. y the way,you may also want to type: ESP IGNORE GLOBAL to opt into the global amulet channel. Then "THINK TO ROBLAR ON GLOB hello" to start.

I'll post my starting stats below but they would be for growth to hit best numbers at cap, a long way off. I fixstated a couple times during my run to cap so found more pleasure at higher stats earlier. So someone else who has leveled recently can maybe provide better starting numbers. It all depends how much early pain you want and how much room to let them grow for better overall numbers later.

Strength (STR): 30
Constitution (CON): 58
Dexterity (DEX): 68
Agility (AGI): 68
Discipline (DIS): 73
Aura (AUR): 82
Logic (LOG): 88
Intuition (INT): 70
Wisdom (WIS): 82
Influence (INF): 41

I would either increase THW to 10 ranks and drop OHE and Shield completely or drop THW and raise Shield to 10 ranks (full 2x). Increase Dodging to 5 ranks 91x), Armor to 10 or 15 ranks, Perception and Trade to 5 ranks and MOC to 5 ranks.
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/05/2015 07:07 PM CST
First, thanks for the help. The Claid is working well. After my reset though, I seem to be taking a lot of hits, and my DS is down to like 45 or something... even kobolds are getting me. I know two-handed leaves you more open, but it seems like maybe a bit much?

Here's where I landed. I put a bit more into strength up front. I don't want to struggle too much. Still not sure I understand what the enhanced means - can you explain?

Am I wastng points by converting mental to physical? It seems like if you hit the minus key in the char sheet, you don't actually get all the points back?

Lastly, I am wearing reinforced silver-buttoned leathers - is there better armor I can use to help things? (Is there a link that explains armor better?)

Stats: Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 68 (19) ... 68 (19)
Constitution (CON): 63 (21) ... 63 (21)
Dexterity (DEX): 71 (10) ... 71 (10)
Agility (AGL): 69 (4) ... 69 (4)
Discipline (DIS): 66 (18) ... 66 (18)
Aura (AUR): 60 (-5) ... 60 (-5)
Logic (LOG): 88 (24) ... 88 (24)
Intuition (INT): 73 (11) ... 73 (11)
Wisdom (WIS): 71 (10) ... 71 (10)
Influence (INF): 41 (-14) ... 41 (-14)

Gloindar (at level 3), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 70 15
Combat Maneuvers...................| 50 10
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 50 10
Ambush.............................| 20 4
Physical Fitness...................| 58 12
Dodging............................| 25 5
Perception.........................| 25 5
Climbing...........................| 5 1
Swimming...........................| 5 1
First Aid..........................| 25 5
Trading............................| 15 3
Training Points: 0 Phy 10 Mnt (66 Mnt converted to Phy)
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/05/2015 07:22 PM CST
You can get more DS by raising your AGI bonus and raising Dodge to at least 10 ranks, maybe 15 if you can afford it. You might also want the get mass spells when offered since THW will be less DS overall. Remember to stance dance too, most young creatures are very slow in their actions. later you can learn CMANs too that can raise DS all the time (passively).

At 15 ranks, you can wear cuirbouilli leather with no rt penalty. You won't have trained off the maneuver penalty but critters won't really do anything at that level and you'll advance shortly enough. Soon enough (27-30 ranks), you can get into brig for a better base armor, that also has full coverage.

Here is Armor Use thresholds:

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_Use

Enhanced stats shows you what your stats look like when wearing enhancive items, includig fusion, or are under the effects of a login reward Boost, certain CMANs (like Surge of Strength), alchemy potions and under stuff. It can even show when there is a negative stat modifier like from Death's Sting. Normal is your regular stats.

Don't worry about converting mental to physical point and efficiency. When you level, the system will automatically convert your points (give you a refund of TPs) for efficiency. There are more physical skills you'll need right now as a young warrior then mental ones anyway.
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/05/2015 09:39 PM CST

What is AGI bonus?
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/05/2015 09:40 PM CST

Stance dance for defense. Wait in defensive then go to offensive and attack. Also look at not attacking from full offensive in some situations you can do just as well offensively from a bit lower stance and take much less hits.

Where {stance type} is one of the following:
OFFENSIVE (all offensive, no regard to defense!)
ADVANCE (mostly offensive, little defense.)
FORWARD (more offensive, moderate defense.)
NEUTRAL (more defense, moderate offense.)
GUARDED (mostly defensive, little offense.)
DEFENSIVE (all defensive, no offensive.)
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/05/2015 10:23 PM CST
That number in parenthesis next to your AGIlity stat. Each point = 1 point of DS.

The higher you raise your Agility stat the higher (and faster) the bonus should get. The cap is different for each race though.

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Stat
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/06/2015 03:42 AM CST
Roblar gave really sound advice. At low levels just get spells, but if you are beyond 27th and into the 40s dodge ranks, spells and heavier armor are the answer.

-Geijon
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/06/2015 08:23 AM CST

Ok. One thing that seemed odd - when I just hit level 4, I didn't seem to get any physical TPs. Is that normal? I barely trained anything. I think I trained THW and Armor Use and my points were like gone. Here's where I am at now.

Gloindar (at level 4), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 78 17
Combat Maneuvers...................| 54 11
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 58 12
Ambush.............................| 20 4
Physical Fitness...................| 58 12
Dodging............................| 25 5
Perception.........................| 25 5
Climbing...........................| 5 1
Swimming...........................| 5 1
First Aid..........................| 25 5
Trading............................| 25 5
Training Points: 0 Phy 11 Mnt (60 Mnt converted to Phy)
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/06/2015 10:13 AM CST
When you leveled, your previous trainings in skills optimized.

For example, when you expressed concern earlier about converting too much mental to physical, lets say you triple trained Armor Use at a cost of 8 physical training points for the 3rd rank that level. When you leveled, the 3x cost for the third rank unwound to 2x for present level of 4 physical training points.

Also, since you were heavily spending points throughout and up to the end of your previous level, you did not get many new training points upon leveling. I usually build a 50 TP or so toward the end of a level to combine with the leveling TPs to hit all the core skills upon leveling ASAP. I hate waiting to grey out the ones that I want 2x or are core, and then spend as I earn during the level for any missed or any secondary items and then move back to saving some TPs when approaching the next level.

You'll have more TPs to spend (yet slower) as you level as your stats rise, and you hit some minimum goals of skills that can rest for awhile as you branch out.
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/06/2015 10:37 AM CST
The way training points are handled was changed when GS3 became GS4.

You no longer get, as an example, 46 physical and 38 mental points when you hit level 4. Instead, you get them slowly as you level up from level 3 to level 4. They tick in one by one as you gain experience. If you're halfway from level 3 to level 4, you should have received 23 physical and 17 mental points already; 1/2 of the points you'll earn by the end of level 4.

The only extra points you get when you level up are the ones you get from your skills being recalculated at a lower rate. For you, right now, fully 2xing in armor would be 12 ranks and 3xing would be 18 ranks. Let's say you train all 18 ranks. The first 6 will cost you 2 phyiscal and 0 mental. The next 6 will be 4 physical/0 mental, and the last 6 (#13-18) will be 8/0.

When you hit level 5, 2xing will be 14 ranks, but you'll still have 18 ranks of armor use. Rank 13 and 14 will go from being considered 3x armor training (at a cost of 8/0) to 2x armor training (4/0), and you'll get 4 Physical points back for each; 8 in total. (Or, more likely, you'll get 8 converted mental points back for each; 16 in total.)
Re: Returning to game, could use some advice 12/06/2015 03:53 PM CST

Got it, the trickle effect makes sense. Thanks!