training questions 09/18/2015 09:33 PM CDT
currently level 24

is multi ops a skill that i need to be fully 1x in?

in gs3 i was fully 2x in thw and edged, with gs4 it seems i can only afford to 1x edged, so is there any reason to continue training in it?

i had been using a bastard sword for the ability to swap between twh and edged. is there any reason to stay with a bastard sword if swapping between thw and edged is no longer an option?

is there a reason to stay 1x in shields if i drop edged?

would it be worth dropping enough multi ops and dodge to bring edged to 2x
Re: training questions 09/18/2015 11:17 PM CDT
It would be easier to give input if you copied/pasted your SKILLS info here. There really isn't any reason you shouldn't be able to afford what you want, but without knowing what you have it's impossible to give suggestions on what would be best to drop to free up the TPs.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: training questions 09/19/2015 08:43 AM CDT

(at level 24), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 156 56
Shield Use.........................| 105 25
Combat Maneuvers...................| 152 52
Edged Weapons......................| 105 25
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 152 52
Ambush.............................| 35 7
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 108 26
Physical Fitness...................| 153 53
Dodging............................| 134 37
Harness Power......................| 10 2
Survival...........................| 10 2
Perception.........................| 25 5
Climbing...........................| 30 6
Swimming...........................| 30 6
First Aid..........................| 25 5
Re: training questions 09/19/2015 11:46 AM CDT
<is multi ops a skill that i need to be fully 1x in?>

No, but rather then dropping ranks in it now, I'd get 4 more ranks to get focused MSTRIKE then stop for a while to use the TPs to get other things you want/need.

<in gs3 i was fully 2x in thw and edged, with gs4 it seems i can only afford to 1x edged, so is there any reason to continue training in it?>

I was expecting to see a lot more ranks in unneeded skills when I saw that, tbh. Your ranks in Survival, Perception, and First Aid really aren't doing anything for you with so few ranks, so I'd definitely get rid of them to free up the point. If you're in GoS or CoL go ahead and keep those ranks in Harness Power, otherwise there's no need to have those either.

Honestly, I'm unsure how much training you need in OHE to optimize your AS for a bastard sword (hopefully someone else will be able to give an explanation). I would say that if your AS is dropping enough when you use it as an OHE that you're not using it that way, it would most likely be best to drop your OHE and Shield training and just use it as a THW. The points you get back can be used to boost your Dodge training and/or pick up ranks in another skill.

<is there any reason to stay with a bastard sword if swapping between thw and edged is no longer an option?>

Bastard swords are able to deal more raw damage faster then any other THW, but they aren't the best at inflicting critical damage. If the weapon is important to how you RP your character, you won't be hurting too much if you wanted to keep it, but there are better options against most critters (against critters that are immune to crits, its ability to deal raw damage quickly might make them the best choice, however).

If you're a race that can carry two THWs without it affecting your encumbrance (giantman, dwarf, half-krol, maybe a couple others), it would be worth hanging onto as a backup for when you're disarmed and use against critters that are immune to crits and getting a THW with a higher DF for normal use.

<is there a reason to stay 1x in shields if i drop edged?>

Not really.

<would it be worth dropping enough multi ops and dodge to bring edged to 2x>

Now that I look closer when thinking of how to answer this, this might be where you're running into trouble getting 2x in both OHE and THW. Your DS is no where near what it should be in either style and your AS is hurting when swinging it as an OHE because the costs in defensive skills are prohibitive. It would probably be best to pick one style or the other to focus on for now and pick up the skills you need to swing the bastard sword both ways sometime after level 60 when you have more TPs to play with.

If you choose THW, you would ideally drop OHE and Shields. Then use those TPs to boost your Dodge ranks up to 2x (though, if you can afford more you can certainly get more). You'll probably want to start working Ambush up to 1x in the near future too (that can wait until you have 30 ranks in MOC).

If you choose OHE, drop your THW ranks entirely and drop Dodge down to at least 1x. Use the recovered TPs to get OHE up to 2x and Shields up to 2x (if you use a medium or large shield) or 3x (if you use a tower shield, though 3x with a large shield won't hurt either). You'll also want to start boosting your Ambush ranks after getting MOC up to 30 ranks with this style. Note that you'll have to locker your bastard sword and pick another OHE if you choose this style.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: training questions 09/19/2015 06:37 PM CDT
I create a character by first having a vision of what I want that character to be, then work to see how that vision can be fit into gemstone. to create this character in gs3 I used a near max roll, and I still had difficulty with getting everything I wanted. I almost never brought him into gs4 knowing that I was going to have to make painful cuts, and end up short of the vision I had for him. most of you got over this pain 10 years ago.

'I was expecting to see a lot more ranks in unneeded skills when I saw that, tbh. Your ranks in Survival, Perception, and First Aid really aren't doing anything for you with so few ranks'

yes, but you have to start somewhere, and I believe these are important skills for a warrior to have.

I find it interesting you recommend more ambush no matter which way I go.
Re: training questions 09/19/2015 10:23 PM CDT
Lets see:

6/3 2x edged
9/3 2x THW
6/0 2x armor
6/0 2x PF
4/2 1x dodge
6/0 2x shield
3/4 1x ambush
4/3 1x MoC
0/3 1x perception
3/0 1x climb
47/21

If you trained like this, what you want should be do able. It also leaves points to spend on other things like first aid, survival, harness power.

The suggestion to train 1x in ambush is a decent one. Once you have 30-40 ranks and feel comfortable with your ability to hit where you aim you can stop training in it. But being able to aim ones shots is a great help as a warrior. Especially if you are using something like a bastard sword. I used one for a good 35 levels or so and rarely felt the need to be using anything heavier, most things died in one swing and if they didn't, that is what mstrike is for.

Getting MoC up to 30 ranks is also a good idea, having that first focused double swing can be handy.
Re: training questions 09/20/2015 12:33 PM CDT

looks like you left off CM at 4/3 for 1x, 12/9 2x
Re: training questions 09/23/2015 06:38 AM CDT
Ah, I thought I had forgot something. That would definitely make points tighter, but still doable depending on stat placement.