Polearm warrior: Train in shield or keep brawling? 08/10/2015 10:10 AM CDT

Hi, I am a pole warrior. Love using my lance. Returning to the lands, a lot has changed since I played enough to think about my character.

I am not sure if I should train in shield or continue training in brawling.

Why shield? Nowdays there's a lot of ranged combat and crossbow strikes from hiding during adventure quests. Can holding a shield even without training in it, help against those hidden ranged attacks?

Why brawling? Dfredux, and voln (although I don't hunt undead so I need to contemplate continuing with voln and I don't brawl) I also thought if my lance was disarmed and I was in rt hell, I could at least defend myself unarmed. (Is that realistic?)

I would only use my shield as a defense against ranged combat when I'm hunting things that can do such.

Any advice is welcomed.

~Ram
Re: Polearm warrior: Train in shield or keep brawling? 08/10/2015 12:20 PM CDT
I'd suggest pushing puncture resistance through armor skills and extra dodge and dropping both shield and brawl unless post cap/in Voln.

PF gets you more bang for the buck for redux if you're after that.
Re: Polearm warrior: Train in shield or keep brawling? 08/10/2015 12:23 PM CDT
<I am not sure if I should train in shield or continue training in brawling.>

The choice is up to you, both options are perfectly viable. However, if you're planning on switching to a shield JUST to protect yourself from arrows it's prolly not worth it. There aren't many critters that use bows/crossbows, so unless you know you'll be spending a lot of time somewhere like the Citadel in RR you might be disappointed (shields do help protect from magical bolts as well though).

Here's the benefits/drawbacks of each:

brawling benefits: access to the unarmed combat system if disarmed, able to use more powerful 2hand polearms, don't have to stow anything to pick up loot
brawling drawbacks: longer RT, no defensed against ranged attacks

shield benefits: protection from ranged attacks, access to SHIELD skills (similar to CMAN skills), shorter RT
shield drawbacks: have to either carry two weapons or end a hunt if your weapon is lost after being disarmed, 1hand polearms aren't near as powerful

I should also note that if you learn the CMAN Weapon Bonding up to level 5 and bond with your lance, the danger of losing it when disarmed drops to insignificant levels

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Polearm warrior: Train in shield or keep brawling? 08/10/2015 03:29 PM CDT

Thanks!

~Ram