Advice on CMANs 07/23/2015 02:47 PM CDT
It's my first time playing a warrior. Made it to the 11th level using a two-handed maul for the moment. Had some questions about about CMANs. Here's what I have trained so far:

Skill name Ranks
Specialization I (maul) 3
Parry Mastery 1
Cunning Defense 2

Based upon my reading, I think the pmastery and cdefense stack. True?

Second, I'm looking for a disabler. What would you recommend?

Other info:

Race: Giantman Profession: Warrior (not shown)

Strength (STR): 95 (37)
Constitution (CON): 93 (31)
Dexterity (DEX): 93 (16)
Agility (AGI): 93 (16)
Discipline (DIS): 73 (11)
Aura (AUR): 72 (6)
Logic (LOG): 52 (-4)
Intuition (INT): 47 (-1)
Wisdom (WIS): 53 (1)
Influence (INF): 31 (-4)
Mana: 16

Skill Name | Current
| Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 30
Combat Maneuvers...............| 26
Two-Handed Weapons...........| 26
Multi Opponent Combat..........| 13
Physical Fitness...................| 26
Dodging.............................| 26
Harness Power.....................| 5
Survival............................| 7
Perception.........................| 13
Climbing...........................| 7
Swimming..........................| 6
First Aid...........................| 6
Re: Advice on CMANs 07/24/2015 02:10 AM CDT
Check out the skills available via the guild. I know you can't join until you hit level 15, but get a list of the skills anyway. You don't want to duplicate any effort. You can learn guild skills up to 63 ranks, as opposed to 50 via CMan training, and they don't stack with the same skill learned via the CMan system. So,learning disarm via the guild, for example, is better than picking the skill up via CM training.

AFAIK, cunning defense is there to give you some protection from maneuver type attacks that you don't know. I don't think this has any overlap with parry mastery, which blocks incoming weapon blows.

My warrior picked up bullrush as a disabler, but this choice depends on your physical nature. She's a 340lb Giantkin; you would have less success using this skill as a 90lb gnome or halfling.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Advice on CMANs 07/24/2015 03:16 AM CDT
Until you join the guild and train up equal to or past your CMAN ranks it is fine to learn warrior guild skills through CML.

Later drop the CMAN duplicates to return more points for other stuff.

I'd drop Cunning Defense's 2 ranks and add berserk. You aren't getting much from cdefense. You have some MOC and will enjoy it, you'll enjoy it more with 2 more MOC ranks (swing at 3 foes). Even if you choose to hunt in control with mstrikes instead, you will appreciate the stun breaker at some point. Try for at least 3 ranks to initiate it most the time.

You are a giant and bullrush is a good idea for a knockdown ability. Learn weapon bonding and feint soonish. Feint for turtled critters, especially casters. Disarm can be situation and can use the defense at some point but may be supplanted by the warrior guild skill depending how quickly you advance in the guild. Same for berserk and warrior tricks (feint).

Parry mastery and cdefense wouldn't stack anyway. Pmastery is nice but could take a backseat maybe at this early point to more prime cmans like those listed above or something else that interests you. It is passive which is nice and is additional defense for a twohander lacking shield's defense.
Re: Advice on CMANs 07/24/2015 03:43 PM CDT
Thank you for the responses.

Does stance factor into Bullrush success probability?
Re: Advice on CMANs 07/28/2015 08:25 AM CDT
>Does stance factor into Bullrush success probability?

Stance factors into almost all active CMans. Unless the description specifically says it doesn't, assume being in offensive stance is important when using the CMan (and that you are better off in defensive when its used on you, though this is a normally smaller effect).
Re: Advice on CMANs 07/28/2015 08:33 AM CDT
You'll also want bonding. You might want to wait until you can get rank 5 before starting it, but you will want it.

Feint is important to have, because it sets up your other manoevers as well as buying you the time to recover when you make those negative open rolls on them.

You should get a knockdown manoever. Bullrush works but its not the only possibility. I'd take a read through the list and see if there's a knockdown that fits your RP.

Cunning defense and parry mastery are things you'll likely want at some point, but as others have said, they are unimportant at low level.