Thoughts on Spear - Sheild Warrior 06/03/2014 06:10 AM CDT
Recently fixskills into a 2x (going to push to 3x) shield and pole arm build. For RP purposes I will be sticking with spears and tridents. Currently level 16. I don't see many using this one handed weapon. Any advice on the challenges , strengths and weaknesses?
Re: Thoughts on Spear - Sheild Warrior 06/03/2014 06:37 PM CDT
I cannot comment much except that it is a compelling build. I know a few paladins going this route and training up in shield phalanx. Maybe they will comment.

This is Sparta!

Chad, player of a few
Re: Thoughts on Spear - Sheild Warrior 06/03/2014 06:40 PM CDT
So far shield bash and ambush eye is gratifying. Or throwing my shield over my shoulder and plunging my spear into an ogre's chest with two hands is pretty fun too.
Re: Thoughts on Spear - Sheild Warrior 06/03/2014 08:46 PM CDT
Don't forget hurling it Troy style.
Re: Thoughts on Spear - Sheild Warrior 06/04/2014 06:21 AM CDT
Hurling the spear?! I didn't even think of that. I don't think I have the tp's for that. Also I'd be worried id lose my 4x spear with rattlesnake skin shaft. Love that thing. Fits my character perfectly.

I am concerned with my shield mans. Dropped charge and trample to get tfocus and prop up. I have noticed I'm not blocking many attacks. Any advice?
Re: Thoughts on Spear - Sheild Warrior 06/04/2014 12:30 PM CDT

Get a harness and throw a couple plain 4x spears in it for hurling for some fun, but that's probably a post cap goal when you've got the points for thrown.
Re: Thoughts on Spear - Sheild Warrior 06/04/2014 03:12 PM CDT
I have a few comments you may find helpful. My experience is mostly with polearming warriors, but I have also been dabbling in spear/shield.

First, consider getting Cman charge if you don't have it already. It is a very useful knockdown skill and will free up some shield points for non-knockdown moves that you cannot get with Cman points. Deflection is a fantastic addition, especially if you hunt in Illistim/Vaalor where everything can either shoot or throw a weapon at you.

Second, do not be afraid to wear the shield for some extra killing power. Aimed two handed spears and tridents are to my mind one of the most effective melee combat styles. Once you have enough CM (and later ambush) training to hit the eye, you will do incredible things.

Test different shield sizes, they will effect bolt and melee DS differently (assuming you have dodge and shield skill). It may be worth switching up to work against your enemy of the day.

Think also about stowing an awl-pike in your pack. There are several with the "fork" noun that can be had and using a much higher roundtime base weapon for berserk is a real treat. Nothing says please die now like 3 focused awl-pike swings every 5 seconds. You could do a lance also, if your race can handle the weight. (awl pikes are half as heavy and almost as good).

Feel free to use the AIM handle below. I always love taking shop.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: Thoughts on Spear - Sheild Warrior 06/04/2014 03:53 PM CDT
Highly recommend the shield deflection maneuvers for any build using a shield. It is pretty awesome to turn an arrow back into a bandit/grimswarm eye for a crit kill.

Glurph

>wtrick tslice
You try to stuff your razern morning star in your ear.
Re: Thoughts on Spear - Sheild Warrior 06/04/2014 03:55 PM CDT
Er.. missed Menos' post. What he said.

Glurph

>wtrick tslice
You try to stuff your razern morning star in your ear.
Re: Thoughts on Spear - Sheild Warrior 06/05/2014 08:03 PM CDT
I've really enjoyed ambushing eyes after a shield bash or charge. I'm 0x in dodge, 3x in shield. RP choices.
Re: Thoughts on Spear - Sheild Warrior 06/05/2014 08:09 PM CDT

Working on getting deflection. I have 8 points saved but at 16 i can't get my third rank in tfocus yet. As long as I'm fighting things that can stand, I hunt fast. Spent a few trips in Thurfel's Cellar and it was a pain.

Quick question: Need to have shield blessed to bash undead? Seems I would, but haven't tried yet.
Re: Thoughts on Spear - Sheild Warrior 06/05/2014 10:26 PM CDT
If you're 0x in dodge, 3x in shield ... use the biggest shield size you can find. Heh; totally the opposite of my rogue; she's got a lot more dodge than shield skill, so she goes with a buckler. She's got both deflection and deflect elements, BTW. And yes, anyone using polearms should learn charge. My paladin is bonded to a lance and has 4 ranks of charge so far. Fun maneuver!

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Thoughts on Spear - Sheild Warrior 06/06/2014 12:26 AM CDT
I love the new shield maneuvers. My suggestion is to start with focus, but beyond that you have so many choices. Deflection is great, but it doesn't fire off that often. When it does it's lethal though. Personally I love trample with trample mastery. If you're 3x trained in shields and have those your knock down rate will be 95% and you can knock down five targets. This could work really well with a spiked and flaring shield.

I also am a big fan of guard with guard mastery and stance of the tortoise. With that combo, you can block a tremendous number of blows for you AND a hunting partner. Of course, if you hunt solo it's of little use for you.

All I know for certain is that it sure is nice to have so many choices. I would be interested in hearing people's experience with phalanx.

Kerl
Re: Thoughts on Spear - Sheild Warrior 06/06/2014 09:22 AM CDT
>Quick question: Need to have shield blessed to bash undead? Seems I would, but haven't tried yet.

Yes. Some (particularly non-corp) are outright immune to the manoever though and can't be bashed even with a blessed shield.