I pass my dwarf onto judgement 02/08/2014 03:07 AM CST
I still have a few days left on my 30 days of stat changes, so I'm trying to gain as many lvls as possible before I take the plunge into these crazy stats. According to the stat maximizer, this will make everything 100 with the exception of Aura and Wisdom, which will cap at 91 each. I want to make this dwarf the definition of defense, he was an elite guard for Kazunel after all, so I want him to show it. 3x Armor, 3x shield, trying to get plate as soon as possible, although I know will be tough given his extremely suicidal low strength stat. When I change stats I will pretty much lose the extra points that went into first aid and survival, not a big deal, I was just trying to make extra money skinning. I also had a few questions to ask:
-How many ranks in MIU and scroll reading are recommended?
-Same question for Climbing and Swimming, I have read about 30 each. anyone able to shed a light on this?
Looking for any kind of input, tell me I'm crazy, whatever, I'm loving this dwarf and I'm in it for the long haul

Level 0 Stats for Kilthic, Dwarf Warrior

Strength (STR): 30
Constitution (CON): 49
Dexterity (DEX): 70
Agility (AGI): 73
Discipline (DIS): 68
Aura (AUR): 69
Logic (LOG): 88
Intuition (INT): 73
Wisdom (WIS): 63
Influence (INF): 77

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Specialization I wspec1 2
Surge of Strength surge 2
Parry Mastery pmastery 1
Block Mastery bmastery 1

Tower Shield Focus tfocus 2
Shield Bash bash 2
Block the Elements eblock 1

Armor Support support 1

Kilthic (at level 10), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 126 33
Shield Use.........................| 126 33
Combat Maneuvers...................| 96 22
Blunt Weapons......................| 96 22
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 54 11
Physical Fitness...................| 96 22
Dodging............................| 54 11
Magic Item Use.....................| 5 1
Survival...........................| 54 11
Perception.........................| 54 11
First Aid..........................| 54 11

-Dwarven Thoughts-
Re: I pass my dwarf onto judgement 02/08/2014 04:36 AM CST
AUR and WIS are your elemental and spirit TD stats. You aren't the acme of defense against magic if those are the ones you are leaving low. AUR matters less because of the innate dwarf resistance to elemental magic, but I'd expect you to want to maximise your defense against spirit magic and that means letting WIS get to 100.

STR is irrelevant for armor. In fact the weaker you are, the sooner you want to get into heavy armor, because the higher your AsG the more free carrying capacity you get.

You won't find yourself really needing any AS/MIU before you reach spellburst hunting areas if you play in populated times and places. If you don't you'll start to feel your lack of magic defense at some point and then you'll want enough to be able to use scrolls and/or imbeds to put up things like 101, 107, 401, 406, 503 etc.

Climb/swim depend where you go. 0.3x will cover you for most places, but without any to spare, particularly if you are encumbered or wounded. Fine as a baseline, but be prepared to train more if you have problems with a particular climb or swim.

If you want to be aiming your swings, and with a blunt/shield build you really should want to aim your swings, adding some ambush into your training will allow you to do so at a much earlier level. e.g. with 10 ranks of ambush at level 20, you'll aim as well as you would at level 45 with no ambush training. Level 20 is about when you'll start finding critters that it pays to aim swings at and I'd expect 10 ranks to be about what it would take you to reliably make the basic shots (leg on a standing critter and head on a prone critter) at that level.
Re: I pass my dwarf onto judgement 02/08/2014 10:04 AM CST

Strength (STR): 30
Constitution (CON): 49
Dexterity (DEX): 70
Agility (AGI): 73
Discipline (DIS): 68
Aura (AUR): 82
Logic (LOG): 88
Intuition (INT): 54
Wisdom (WIS): 77
Influence (INF): 69

Those are the stats I went with for my dwarf, everything but INT(87) and INF(94) hit 100 by cap. At 36 he has 25 ranks of ambush and it works well enough for me.

Oddly enough at level 10 your max ranks for weapons, combat maneuvers or any other skill you can 2x is 24. So you are missing out on 7 AS and 2 combat maneuver points. I think you'd obviously want to increase your other skills as well but I'd say those come first then whatever else.
Re: I pass my dwarf onto judgement 02/09/2014 08:52 PM CST
Thanks for the input, I completely forgot that dwarves have the natural elemental resistance, luckily i'm able to swap the numbers and I traded influence and aura to be at 91 and the rest will be 100.

-Dwarven Thoughts-
Re: I pass my dwarf onto judgement 02/10/2014 01:21 AM CST
You do have that nice racial bonus but you also have a -10 AUR, which basically negates 10 of that bonus. And while being 5 shy short of your max potential there doesn't seem like a big deal it is likely to bother you later on down the road.
Re: I pass my dwarf onto judgement 02/10/2014 10:32 AM CST
Any square should always always always have their aura and wisdom set to max by at least cap. Not doing so is just boosting your weakness (which is TD).
Re: I pass my dwarf onto judgement 02/11/2014 10:07 AM CST
Aura matters way less than wisdom, simply because creatures that cast elemental spells are much less likely to cast warding spells.
Re: I pass my dwarf onto judgement 02/12/2014 05:07 PM CST
>>Aura matters way less than wisdom, simply because creatures that cast elemental spells are much less likely to cast warding spells.

AUR and WIS both help against sorcerer spells too, you can't forget that. And at cap consider all the creatures that do cast elemental/sorcerer spells, dissemblers, sirens, GWE, sentries, vaespilons, lost souls, cerebralites, fetish masters, soul siphons, lichs, seers, and adepts.