Brushing of an old character 03/27/2017 01:07 PM CDT
I've got this old, level 20 Sorcerer from God-knows how many years ago, and not having kept up more than tangentially with sorcerer things, I'm curious where he stands, if anyone can help.

My thought is to definitely use a runestaff, and I went with earth lore for the defense benefits from the 400 list. Necromancy, because eventually, I'll want to Ensorcell things for my mains. As far as hunting and all that, I don't even know, as I haven't even taken him out for a test run yet. From what I recall, 702 was the defacto attack spell. Has that changed?

Thanks in advance!

Skill Name Current Bonus Current Ranks
Armor Use 40 8
Physical Fitness 96 22
Arcane Symbols 96 22
Magic Item Use 96 22
Spell Aiming 142 42
Harness Power 126 33
Elemental Mana Control 96 22
Spirit Mana Control 96 22
Elemental Lore - Earth 96 22
Sorcerous Lore - Necromancy 96 22
Climbing 70 15
Swimming 35 7
Minor Elemental 14
Minor Spiritual 9
Sorcerer 20

Re: Brushing of an old character 03/27/2017 03:03 PM CDT
Your training looks decent and I don't think you'll have any huge problems once you figure out a strategy with your spells that works for you, though there is one thing you'll want to keep in mind for the future though.

Eventually, you'll want to have 2x+20 in spell research (the extra 20 ranks will be in the sorcerer circle) or you'll find yourself having difficulty warding critters. Different folk get this at different times (my sorcerer was in his 50's when he got it), but getting it as early as possible can save quite a bit of frustration later on.

I bring this up now because the elemental lores are really extra perks to get later on when you have more TPs to throw around AND you're approaching an level where most critters will no longer be able to hit you with AS based attacks without first disabling you somehow. Being hit with a maneuver that stuns you for 5 rounds because the endroll was 5 too low on your cast of 706/708/711/etc will be your main cause of death after level 30ish (or you just fumbled the spell, but nothing to be done about that). The earth lore perks may save you occasionally when you're in that situation, but boosting your CS will help prevent you from being in that situation in the first place, so putting those points into extra spells now is something worth at least considering.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Brushing of an old character 04/07/2017 05:13 PM CDT
> ...or you'll find yourself having difficulty warding critters.

I'm currently having a hard time with that.

> You channel at an arch wight.
CS: +121 - TD: +54 + CvA: -12 + d100: +33 == +88
Warded off!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

Basically, needing a 46+ roll to ward them means an exercise in frustration of this like level creature. I get maybe it's just this creature, but I'm having to go down at least two levels to reliably ward things right now (warriors in the wolve's den). Any idea what I may be doing wrong, or can do differently?
Re: Brushing of an old character 04/07/2017 10:31 PM CDT
Arch Wights wear heavy armor, which can make them a real hassle. Don't necessarily get fixated on hunting like-level. Often you will be able to, sometimes for a while you can't, sometimes you can uphunt. It just depends.

Right around your level there are Fire Cats and Rats, Striped Warcats, Krolvin Warriors and Mercenaries(watch out for the Warfarers), Nedum Vereri, The Ghostly Warriors you mentioned.. I'm sure there are more. And that is just in the Wehnimers vicinity.

Avaia, player of
Re: Brushing of an old character 04/08/2017 02:29 AM CDT
<<Basically, needing a 46+ roll to ward them means an exercise in frustration of this like level creature. I get maybe it's just this creature, but I'm having to go down at least two levels to reliably ward things right now (warriors in the wolve's den). Any idea what I may be doing wrong, or can do differently?>

As Avaia said, arch wights aren't really the best prey for sorcerers. Besides their armor giving them a horrible CvA, they're magical creatures so they're going to have a higher TD then something nonmagical and you don't have enough mana yet to be hunting with 719 (which is more effective against magical critters then nonmagical ones). If they can be stunned with 706, you can hit them with that to hold them still long enough to use focused 710 on them safely, but it will be a headache getting a high enough end-roll to make 706 last long enough for 710's damage cycles to begin.

Don't worry too much about hunting critters exactly at your level. Sometimes those will be the best ones for you to be hunting, but more often you'd be better off hunting something +\- 2-3 levels. Heck, I've stuck with critters until they were 6 levels below me just because it was a fun area to hunt or they had really good loot. Unless you're trying to live in a town that's difficult to get to, like River's Rest or Zul, there's no reason not to pick and choose what you hunt.

If you're trying to hunt arch wights cause they have good loot, that's because they're generally hard to kill and most players avoid them. Critters in towns that are less populated then the big three (Vaalor, Ice Mule, and the Landing) will generally have better treasure then anything around the Landing and you can usually pick something better suited to your character. If you don't want something quite as isolated as River's Rest, you might try SolHaven or Teras... though it might be better to wait a few levels before tackling Teras.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Brushing of an old character 04/08/2017 06:39 AM CDT
Thanks all. The wights were the first go as I had a bounty for them.

I've tried out a few other things, including the Vereri, and things are going a lot smoother. Loot wise, I'm really not that concerned. Money is very much a secondary or tertiary consideration with me in this game. My primary character is level 53, and is basically still using plain 4x stuff.

Thanks again for the help and information!