Level 80 sorcerer back after 10+ Years 12/01/2016 03:02 AM CST

Hi everyone,

I've come back for a bit. I'm rusty with the mechanics of GS and need some strategic advice. I did most of my adventuring around '95-99 - with some around 2005-8. I see that a lot has changed at least since then and there is a huge learning curve.

I've reviewed the forums and gs wiki, but i still have some advanced questions.

My goal is to have fun and reach cap. Have a nice powerful sorcerer.

q1: can i run fix skills every 6 months? it looks like it

q2: should I try to change my stats?, if I do will I get training points from the past to the present changed?
stats are

N Race: Dark Elf Profession: Sorcerer (shown as: Sorcerer)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 94 (22) ... 94 (22)
Constitution (CON): 81 (10) ... 74 (7)
Dexterity (DEX): 75 (22) ... 75 (22)
Agility (AGI): 68 (14) ... 68 (14)
Discipline (DIS): 100 (15) ... 100 (15)
Aura (AUR): 100 (35) ... 100 (35)
Logic (LOG): 97 (23) ... 97 (23)
Intuition (INT): 93 (26) ... 93 (26)
Wisdom (WIS): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Influence (INF): 93 (16) ... 93 (16)

Q3: Skills to reach hunting areas

I would like to hunt in the red forrest out side of the landing for a few more trainings. I'm not sure about the rift or the elven city. I am taking damage with 20 ranks in perception and 0 in survival trying to go through the fog (in the red forrest). How much do I need?

Also how much climbing and swimming do I need to access the even city and the rift

Q4 demonology vs necromacny? any thoughts? does necromancy help with combat? I have found that maximizing CS was always the way to go.

Q5 Staff vs shield. I have an old 6x shield, 6x weapon For near cap hunting, should I go back to shield and sword?

Q6: spell aim: do sorcerers use spell aim in near cap hunting, implosion? I estimate that I'd get an additional 9ish CS if I dumped my spell aim in spells.

Q7: is there any recommended spell training for our level? I think i have overtrained in the minor circles, but will I need the DS?

Q8: Elemental lore? worth it? for 80-100 hunting?

Xred (at level 80), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 20 4
Physical Fitness...................| 99 23
Arcane Symbols.....................| 180 80
Magic Item Use.....................| 180 80
Spell Aiming.......................| 260 160
Harness Power......................| 181 81
Elemental Mana Control.............| 180 80
Spirit Mana Control................| 180 80
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 108 26
Elemental Lore - Fire..............| 108 26
Elemental Lore - Water.............| 108 26
Sorcerous Lore - Demonology........| 145 45
Perception.........................| 90 20
Climbing...........................| 111 27
Swimming...........................| 126 33

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 58

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 49

Spell Lists
Sorcerer...........................| 101

Thank you I'm looking forward to some feedback

-X
Re: Level 80 sorcerer back after 10+ Years 12/01/2016 11:18 AM CST
I'll answer the questions I can, but my sorcerer is a few levels lower then yours, so there are a few I'll leave to others.

<q1: can i run fix skills every 6 months? it looks like it>

Fixskills is given to all characters once every year in May. They don't stack, so you can't let them build up over several years. For this reason, most folk looking to make major changes to their training will do so in March or April so they don't have to wait long to reverse the changes or make adjustments if it's necessary. When GMs make big enough changes to various systems they'll occasionally give an extra fixskills, but this shouldn't be relied on.

<q2: should I try to change my stats?, if I do will I get training points from the past to the present changed?>

The only way we currently have to change stats for characters older then 1 month is to get a fixstats potion from the Adventurer's Guild or buying one off another character. Other then a couple tweaks that would help AGI/DEX be higher when you reach cap, there isn't really much I'd tinker with anyway.

<am taking damage with 20 ranks in perception and 0 in survival trying to go through the fog (in the red forrest). How much do I need?>

My sorcerer is 1x in perception/0x survival and doesn't take damage from the fog, but it can take a couple tries for him to get through it. This area is new enough that I don't think anyone's pegged down exact number to get if you're just getting it for the fog though. Perception is both useful and cheap enough that I generally recommend all characters 1x in it though.

<demonology vs necromacny? any thoughts? does necromancy help with combat? I have found that maximizing CS was always the way to go.>

When in doubt what to do with spare TP's, it's always wise for a sorcerer to toss them into more spells. That being said, maximizing CS at the expense of other skills isn't necessary now as it was in GS3.

The links at the bottom of this answer lead to articles for the two lores that list what spells they effect. In general though, you should get a minimum of 30 ranks in Necromancy for SACRIFICE. If you're going to be using Pain (711) or the bolt version of Disintegrate (705) at all, you'll want to be 1x in it (I've found 711 VERY useful, both for its disabling abilities and for killing).

Demonology isn't as much all or nothing as the other lore. I'd suggest looking over the spells it influences and how much you need to get the perks you're interested in. I've done just fine with 22 ranks, but if you're going to be using 704 of 725 regularly you'll prolly want more.

You might also want to consider getting ranks in Spiritual Lore: Summoning. It's benefits are mostly utilitarian for sorcerers, but can still be worth the cost if you're going to use 125 or 130.

https://gswiki.play.net/Sorcerous_Lore,_Necromancy
https://gswiki.play.net/Sorcerous_Lore,_Demonology
https://gswiki.play.net/Spiritual_Lore,_Summoning

<Q5 Staff vs shield. I have an old 6x shield, 6x weapon For near cap hunting, should I go back to shield and sword?>

I was sword and board until around level 55-60 (can't remember exactly when I switched to a runestaff). It's certainly a viable path to take so long as you don't fool yourself into thinking you can kill anything with your sword, but it comes at a cost.

Going the OHE/shield route just for increased DS is a mistake. Above level 30ish any sorcerer should have enough DS that the vast majority of their deaths will be the result of maneuver attacks rather then AS/DS checks, regardless of if they use a runestaff or shield.

The beauty of using a staff is that you don't have to train in anything special to use it, freeing up a LOT of TPs to dabble in other things or over train in spells. The reason I gave up OHE/Shield when I did was I was having difficulty getting my CS to an acceptable level AND get the other things I wanted. Not having to train in those skills made life much easier.

There are some critter maneuvers that shields will help protect against that runestaves won't (flesh golem's disease breath, for example), and shields help protect better then a staff against arrows/bolts. It also doesn't cut into your DS as mush if you put away your sword around critters that disarm as it does to stow your staff... but unless you have RP reasons for going the sword/board route, I wouldn't recommend it.

<Q6: spell aim: do sorcerers use spell aim in near cap hunting, implosion? I estimate that I'd get an additional 9ish CS if I dumped my spell aim in spells.>

Even if you never cast a bolt spell, 2x in spell aim is well worth it for Limb Disruption (708) and Implosion (720). Being able to target a leg to prevent a maneuver or a hand to prevent a spell is invaluable in many hunting areas, esp since untargeted 708 never hits the limb you need it to when it really counts. Focused 720 is also always good to have when something that's difficult to ward wanders in and you need to kill or disable it quickly. If you're not going to be a full 2x in it, though, don't train at all in it.

<Q7: is there any recommended spell training for our level? I think i have overtrained in the minor circles, but will I need the DS?>

For sorcerers, over training in spells is about boosting CS, though it does result in decent DS boosts as well. As I said previously, a lack of DS isn't really something most sorcerers have to worry about (unless they're up-hunting by a good margin).

Once you have all the important spells in the elemental and spiritual circles (430, 435, 120, and 130 are common stopping points), the following is the generally accepted advice:

1. Get the Sorcerer circle up to your level +20 and maintain it at that level

2. Next, train in the Elemental circle up to 60 ranks

3. Same with the Spiritual circle

4. All further Spell Research training in Sorcerer circle until cap

Eventually (most likely post-cap) you can maximize your CS with the following spell training (according to the Wiki): 162 Sorcerer Base, 73 Minor Elemental, 67 Minor Spiritual

<Q8: Elemental lore? worth it? for 80-100 hunting?>

Some folk swear by it, but I wouldn't get it at the expense of other things. The benefits are nice, but they're not going to make or break any character. If you see something one of the elemental lores does you like and you're comfortable with your CS, go for it... but don't feel like you HAVE to get it.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.