Standard New Sorc questions 02/14/2016 06:04 PM CST
Back after about 13ish years, playing my old characters when I noticed one has been in the mangler for over a decade. I THINK he was intended as a sorc, the one that I never made back then. So I roll him out, get recalled due to an issue with him being in the mangler for 13 years, I think he was over tenderized. Reroll him out and get to playing. Read some basic guides and made him accordingly. My biggest question is what should my CS be at my current level? It seems not to go up in balance to like leveled critters. My CS goes up 3, like level critter's TD goes up 15 (from previous hunted). Is a CS of 66 at level 8 about average? If it's low, what should I change? (not asking if it's where it should be per my training, just curious if that's normal for the level).
My training is as follows:

Sorrett (at level 8), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 20 4
Physical Fitness...................| 45 9
Arcane Symbols.....................| 45 9
Magic Item Use.....................| 45 9
Harness Power......................| 50 10
Elemental Mana Control.............| 45 9
Spirit Mana Control................| 45 9
Sorcerous Lore - Demonology........| 45 9
Sorcerous Lore - Necromancy........| 45 9
Perception.........................| 40 8
Climbing...........................| 40 8
Swimming...........................| 35 7

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 5

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 5

Spell Lists
Sorcerer...........................| 9
---
Name: Sorrett Race: Dark Elf Profession: Sorcerer (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 71 (10) ... 71 (10)
Constitution (CON): 53 (-4) ... 53 (-4)
Dexterity (DEX): 54 (12) ... 54 (12)
Agility (AGI): 72 (16) ... 72 (16)
Discipline (DIS): 64 (-3) ... 64 (-3)
Aura (AUR): 92 (31) ... 92 (31)
Logic (LOG): 82 (16) ... 82 (16)
Intuition (INT): 82 (21) ... 82 (21)
Wisdom (WIS): 92 (26) ... 92 (26)
Influence (INF): 28 (-16) ... 28 (-16)
Mana: 39 Silver: 546

I still have a week or two or three to change things if needed so any suggestions are also welcome. Aiming as more of a pure caster. I believe I read that MIU and Arcane Symblols were good for singling in for scrolls and wands and such. Trying to 3x as often as I can spells.
Stats are always hit or miss with me, being from the old days where it took days and days of rolling to get a good set I've learned to live with what i have. I'm not out to be better than everyone else, I'm just out to be good enough to be.

Thoughts?

And, of course, thanks!
Re: Standard New Sorc questions 02/14/2016 07:07 PM CST
I honestly don't recall what my CS was at yer level, but I do recall considering finding those heavy quartz orbs to be a major boon prior to level 20. Eventually your CS will come into much better sync with the various critters out there (yours sooner then mine did because you're picking up more spells earlier then I did), but here are some things that can help in the meantime:

-Pick what and where you hunt carefully. Square based critters will have a lower TD for their level while magical critters' TD will be higher, semimagical critters will have a TD somewhere between.
-Once you get 710 in a couple levels, the focused version can be useful for conserving mana AND you don't have to worry about their TD unless it's something that moves around a lot (in which case you'll want to use 706 or 708 to hole them still)
-Never sell any twisted or bone wands you find, between mana being at a premium at low levels and problems with warding they can help immensely. If you find 710 useful, you might want to hold onto any glass wands you find as well.
-Once you learn 107, push to learn 425 as close to level 25 as possible while still 1x in the sorcerer circle. If you're sure you won't be facing any spellcasters prior to level 25, you can even safely drop MnS down to 103 if it helps achieve this goal.
-Figure out what spells work best on what critters, not all of them work equally well on all critters and some critters are immune to certain spells (golems are immune to 706, for example)
-Once you learn 715, the Hex curse can be VERY useful if you need to face critters whose TD is difficult for you to defeat, though it will likely be too expensive to use on every critter until later on.

With your Stats, there doesn't appear to be anything that MUST be changed... though as a dark elf you might want to think about shaving some points off STR and maybe a few from AUR and WIS (since they grow so fast for sorcerers) and put them into INF to reduce that negative bonus.

For skills, I'd strongly recommend finding the points to 2x in Spell Aim even if you don't plan on using the bolt spells available to us. Being able to pick which limb 708 removes without penalty can be a major boon and it will also greatly help with focused 710.

I'll also note that while it's good to train 1x in Necro lore, Demon lore based more on thresh-holds. So if you need TPs for something else, putting Demon lore on hold once you reach one of the thresh-holds for the spell(s) you have it for is the way to go.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Standard New Sorc questions 02/15/2016 12:52 PM CST
A lot of undead tend to be pretty easy, even if they are magical. Bone golems, werebears, darkwoode, wraiths, nedum vereri are all pretty easy for sorcery as I recall.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Standard New Sorc questions 02/15/2016 03:56 PM CST
Oh gods, I forgot how much fun bone golems were for my sorcerer.... he used to have so much fun there he hunted them occasionally even when he was only getting 10 exp/kill...

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Standard New Sorc questions 02/15/2016 07:22 PM CST
The nedum vereri are easy to hit, but they have a spiritual TD pushdown maneuver now.

I discovered that the hard way by being turned into a morning star pinata.

- Xorus' player

>A monastic lich points a skeletal finger at you and exclaims, "Your soul is forfeit!"
Re: Standard New Sorc questions 02/15/2016 09:10 PM CST
"You have no reason to fear me, Xorus."

I thought they always had that? It's been ages since I hunted them, but I used to do it empty-handed brawling in GSIII so my defenses were significantly less than what was possible. I may have had 107 though.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Standard New Sorc questions 02/16/2016 09:45 AM CST
I think this was Level 21 wearing robes, maybe 20, fully spelled up (without 120). I had him wait two levels and put on leather breastplate for the CvA.

It was a surprise for me because the last time I was there (15-ish years) with another Lord sorcerer they had no chance of connecting at all.

The vereri says, "Am I not beautiful, Xorus?"
The nedum vereri looks expectantly at you. You feel your resistance melt away! [-40 TD]
CS: +95 - TD: +105 + CvA: +25 + d100: +82 - -5 == +102
Warding failed!
The nedum vereri suddenly transforms into a horridly grotesque image, inducing utter terror in your soul!
You are immobilized with sheer terror!
I>incant 702
You don't seem to be able to move to do that.
I>
A nedum vereri swings a morning star at you! [-10 TD]
AS: +161 vs DS: +104 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +43 = +133
... and hits for 21 points of damage!
Bones in right arm crack.
CS: +95 - TD: +135 + CvA: +25 + d100: +65 - -5 == +55
Warded off!
A nedum vereri swings a morning star at you!
AS: +161 vs DS: +103 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +70 = +161
... and hits for 41 points of damage!
Blow to your chest causes your heart to skip a beat.
You are stunned for 1 rounds!
A dark shadowy tendril rises up from your skin, writhes its way up a morning star towards a nedum vereri and lashes out malevolently...
CS: +111 - TD: +54 + CvA: +19 + d100: +91 == +167
Warding failed!
... and hits for 26 points of damage!
A nedum vereri is suddenly engulfed in flames of pure essence!
... 30 points of damage!
Extreme heat melts the skin off a nedum vereri's left hand. Gross!
... 35 points of damage!
Wicked slash of frigid energy shatters left eye into a thousand tiny particles! Penetration to the brain causes instant death!
A nedum vereri exhales a sigh of relief and slumps to the ground motionless.
You feel 1 mana surge into you!
CS: +95 - TD: +135 + CvA: +25 + d100: +81 - -5 == +71
Warded off!
(not going anywhere for a while, have a Snickers, another one walks in and hits again)
The vereri laughs triumphantly and says, "Rest in peace!"

I know this was Level 23 with the benefit of some stat gains, still not enough margin to go down to double leathers. Vereri are 18.

The vereri says, "I would never harm you, Xorus."
The nedum vereri caresses your cheek with her icy hand! You feel your resistance melt away!
CS: +95 - TD: +115 + CvA: +11 + d100: +2 - -5 == -2
Warded off!
>exp
Level: 23 Deeds: 10
Experience: 623010 Death's Sting: None
Exp. until next: 46990 Recent Deaths: 0
Mental TPs: 0 Fame: 1293519
Physical TPs: 12 Mana: 15/79 max
(524 Phy converted to Mnt)
Your mind is becoming numbed.

>A monastic lich points a skeletal finger at you and exclaims, "Your soul is forfeit!"