Yet another new to Sorcerer 12/05/2015 09:17 AM CST
I want to see what I'm doing wrong while I'm still young enough, and within my first 30 days, to fix it. I have no intention of using weapons for offense and rather like the idea of a sorcerer in robes but I have all these leftover physical training points so I figure I'm missing something. I'm intending to stop climbing at 10 and swimming around 20 though I cannot be sure.

Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 30 6
Physical Fitness...................| 30 6
Arcane Symbols.....................| 30 6
Magic Item Use.....................| 30 6
Spell Aiming.......................| 30 6
Harness Power......................| 30 6
Elemental Mana Control.............| 30 6
Spirit Mana Control................| 30 6
Disarming Traps....................| 30 6
Picking Locks......................| 30 6
Perception.........................| 30 6
Climbing...........................| 30 6
Swimming...........................| 30 6
First Aid..........................| 30 6

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 4

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 4

Spell Lists
Sorcerer...........................| 6

Training Points: 61 Phy 1 Mnt
Re: Yet another new to Sorcerer 12/05/2015 10:07 AM CST
I see several things that will greatly help you out:

-There's no need to train in THW for runestaff defense. It'll help you if you ever decide to swing the runestaff, but even then you're just throwing away TPs.

-Just 1x in Spell Aim isn't doing a lot for you, it's not enough to really help much with 720 and it's not enough get your AS high enough to hunt with our bolt spells (713, 111, 118). Either do a full 2x in it or don't bother with it.

-You should choose either Necromancy or Demonology and 1x in it, the Wiki has a page for each that lists which spells they benefit. Necromancy is most helpful if you 1x in it but Demonology can be more easily trained up to certain thresh-holds for most of the spells it influences.

-When in doubt, toss extra TPs into getting more spells in the Sorcerer Circle to boost yer CS

-If you're training in picking skills to aid with 407, 408, 416, and 125 then you'll prolly do all right, but realize that your perception will never be high enough to allow you to see most traps on your own boxes unless you use 416 religiously. Also, if you find yourself sacrificing magical skills to train in Picking/Disarm at any point, you would be better off without them (I magically open all of my boxes that aren't enruned/mithril/glyphed with no problem and my sorcerer doesn't train in Picking/Disarm at all).

-There's nothing wrong with training in Climbing and Swimming as you are, but if you'd rather get more immediate benefit out of those TPs you can hold off on training in them until you need them to get into specific hunting grounds. For Maelstrom Bay in RR (level 30+ hunting) you'll need 15 ranks in climbing to get across it with Waterwalking up, but other then that I'm not aware of any hunting ground that requires more then 10 or so ranks in either until you get your Great Lord title.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Yet another new to Sorcerer 12/05/2015 10:47 AM CST
Is there any disadvantage to coonverting the physical training points over to mental? Will I just get them back before my next training session and convert again? I entirely forgot about Demonology which was my intention. I was training in the picking so that I didn't have to seek out someone to do it for me but if that isn't viable I'm not opposed to losing it. I'll go ahead and remove the THW training. Spell aiming will become a priority as well until I'm caught up.
Re: Yet another new to Sorcerer 12/05/2015 10:51 AM CST
It's just a 2:1 conversion. They'll convert back over time.

-- Robert

Bazzelwyn says, "Maul maul maul maul maul maul maul."
Bazzelwyn says, "The answer is maul."
Re: Yet another new to Sorcerer 12/05/2015 11:18 AM CST
Okay so it's kind of a convert, unconvert and repeat each training? If that's the case then no problems, I'm all over it.
Re: Yet another new to Sorcerer 12/05/2015 11:33 AM CST
Yup. There is no penalty for unconverting / reconverting.

Nothing to see here... move along. :-)

-- Robert

Bazzelwyn says, "Maul maul maul maul maul maul maul."
Bazzelwyn says, "The answer is maul."
Re: Yet another new to Sorcerer 12/05/2015 12:28 PM CST
<I was training in the picking so that I didn't have to seek out someone to do it for me but if that isn't viable I'm not opposed to losing it.>

Picking your own boxes with a lockpick will be beyond you except maybe in a few hunting areas (yeti boxes, for example, are pretty easy).

Training in Disarm will probably allow you to take care of most glyph traps on your own boxes, though I'm unsure if a box with a glyph trap that's been disarmed can be magically opened or not (if you choose to test this PLEASE use 407, NOT 125). You might also be able to get some other traps if you can spot them with DETECT, though some trap types are harder to spot then others. Glyphs, scales, and plated boxes are really easy to spot, but you might see one in a hundred scarabs via DETECT (which is why I recommended using 416 to spot traps in my previous post). Even if you don't intend on manually DISARMing your boxes, always DETECT first then use 416 since casting at a box with a glyph trap will set it off (it's not usually deadly, but it is a pain).

When opening my boxes with my sorcerer, I DETECT to see if there's a glyph, use 416 to see any other traps I might have missed, use 407 on boxes without traps, and 125 on most trapped boxes (408 isn't nearly as reliable as manually disarming and I've died too many times trying to use it so I only disarm needles and jaws traps)

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Yet another new to Sorcerer 12/06/2015 02:54 PM CST

You don't need to disarm needles/jaws when popping. Just skip right to 407. But I definitely agree that 408 is very undependable. Better to just have a locksmith do your dangerously trapped boxes if you don't have 125.
Re: Yet another new to Sorcerer 12/06/2015 04:33 PM CST
<You don't need to disarm needles/jaws when popping. Just skip right to 407.>

Yer, but it's an extra little bit of experience if I'm not already fried/saturated.

Starchitin

Re: Yet another new to Sorcerer 12/06/2015 06:39 PM CST
>Training in Disarm will probably allow you to take care of most glyph traps on your own boxes, though I'm unsure if a box with a glyph trap that's been disarmed can be magically opened or not (if you choose to test this PLEASE use 407, NOT 125).

No, even manually disarmed Glyph traps cannot be opened via 407. I tested that when my sorcerer had manual picking skills to get experience opening boxes from my alts that are much lower level than he is.

You just use 704 to check for glyph traps: they will resist magic.

I like 1x perception a lot on a sorcerer in general. Manual skills won't be very useful at all, until you can open other people's boxes that are well below you (and then you should have friends or alts to give you boxes most likely).

You can generally get most your own boxes open with magical skills. This excludes all glyph traps, enruned, and mithril boxes. If you get an ugly trap, just blast it open with 125. Several ranks of Water Lore would do you much more these days than the manual skills. In particular, degrading lock difficulty I find nice. Since it's a seed 1 dependence, even 1 rank is useful. My sorcerer has 10. But there's not much point in getting these until you have at least 416, and also it should be noted that you need quite a lot of mana to get into your own boxes.

My guide covers a lot of other questions you might have: https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Popping_boxes

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Yet another new to Sorcerer 12/06/2015 06:46 PM CST
You can not worry to 408 blue and green scarabs, either, as long as you know 113/114. They will do the first round of disease / poison right away, but you won't be stunned or in hard RT, so you can just remove the effect more or less immediately.

Then only ones you must avoid are sulfur traps, which as far as I know are always set off by 408 / 407. Gas clouds aren't really a concern if you aren't in a justice area, since I recall they dissipate almost immediately, or you can dispell them, run away, etc, since again there's no hard RT.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Yet another new to Sorcerer 12/06/2015 10:59 PM CST
Personally, I'd forgo training in picking and disarming for now; use the early trains to beef up your hunting abilities. Even rogues are usually advised not to even try locksmithing until after level 5 or so.

No to THW training unless you want to follow a mutant path.

If you will be a pure caster, you will convert PTP to MTP for life. I think at level 40 my sorcerer has over 1000 TPs converted. Don't sweat it, it's normal. Just train in PF for Life.

Re: Yet another new to Sorcerer 12/07/2015 11:52 AM CST
Thank you all, sorry it kind of turned into a Sorcerer picking thread but all of it was useful. Being in the Landing (for now) I don't think I'll have a lack of people capable of opening the boxes. When I hit 10, if I remember, I'll post again for a progress update and see where I went wrong then. Thanks for all the help!
Re: Yet another new to Sorcerer 12/07/2015 07:57 PM CST
Ah, here we are; yep, over 1100 TPs converted. And I'm behind on PF training. I let it lag a bit because there's precious few critters that training level that have maneuver attacks, but I'll have to start playing catch-up with that fairly soon in order to get it up to fully 1x.

>> Tofranil (at level 42), your base skill bonuses, ranks and goals are:
Skill Name | Actual Actual
| Bonus Ranks Goals In-Game Time to Goal
Armor Use..........................| 40 8 8
Physical Fitness...................| 108 26 26
Arcane Symbols.....................| 96 22 22
Magic Item Use.....................| 130 35 35
Spell Aiming.......................| 188 88 88
Harness Power......................| 188 88 88
Elemental Mana Control.............| 90 20 20
Spirit Mana Control................| 140 40 40
Sorcerous Lore - Demonology........| 90 20 20