back for first time in MANY years 04/07/2015 03:21 PM CDT
Hey everyone,

Just logged back in for first time in 5-7 years? I pop in seems like every 5-7 years and there typically major changes in how sorcerers are working and training.

In a general sense does this guy look OK? and does anyone have any advice on training in the future?

Name: Lucktar Levil Race: Dark Elf Profession: Sorcerer (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 91 (20) ... 91 (20)
Constitution (CON): 80 (10) ... 78 (9)
Dexterity (DEX): 60 (15) ... 60 (15)
Agility (AGI): 73 (16) ... 73 (16)
Discipline (DIS): 71 (0) ... 71 (0)
Aura (AUR): 85 (27) ... 85 (27)
Logic (LOG): 75 (12) ... 75 (12)
Intuition (INT): 81 (20) ... 81 (20)
Wisdom (WIS): 82 (21) ... 82 (21)
Influence (INF): 78 (9) ... 78 (9)
Mana: 63 Silver: 990
>
A wizened gnome hobbles in.
>skill
Lucktar (at level 30), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Physical Fitness...................| 96 22
Arcane Symbols.....................| 151 51
Magic Item Use.....................| 151 51
Spell Aiming.......................| 160 60
Harness Power......................| 150 50
Elemental Mana Control.............| 96 22
Spirit Mana Control................| 108 26
Sorcerous Lore - Necromancy........| 120 30
Perception.........................| 93 21
Climbing...........................| 54 11
Swimming...........................| 40 8

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 30

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 7

Spell Lists
Sorcerer...........................| 30
Training Points: 0 Phy 0 Mnt (756 Phy converted to Mnt)
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/07/2015 10:33 PM CDT
Welcome back. There are people who like to talk about numbers more than I do, so I'll leave detailed analysis to them. You'll be interested to know that the Gemstone Wiki (formerly Krakiipedia) has a new location. Here's their recently updated article on starting a sorcerer:

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/A_beginner%27s_guide_to_playing_a_sorcerer

Looking over your setup, it seems like you're hitting all of the relevant magical skills. Generally, however, people 2x spell aiming and 1x the others. I don't think it's a great help, for instance, to go over 1x in magic item use and arcane symbols at level 30. If you free up some skill points, you may want to consider investing them into spell research. CS is always helpful and you're well shy of Lesser Shroud -- an important spell to have.

It has also become standard practice to 1x physical fitness all the way to level 100 because it's a significant factor in creature maneuver defense.
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/07/2015 10:49 PM CDT
Heres what I would shoot for at your level. I haven't done any math to see if its possible with your points.

| Bonus Ranks
Physical Fitness...................| 96 32
Arcane Symbols.....................| 151 32
Magic Item Use.....................| 151 32
Spell Aiming.......................| 160 64
Harness Power......................| 150 30
Elemental Mana Control.............| 96 32
Spirit Mana Control................| 108 32
Sorcerous Lore - Necromancy........| 120 3
Perception.........................| 93 21
Climbing...........................| 54 11
Swimming...........................| 40 8

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 30

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 20

Spell Lists
Sorcerer...........................| 40

I would prioritize getting spell 120 over going up the sorcerer spell circle further but still keeping sorcerer spell circle at level. Once you have that I would try to get sorc circle at 20 over your level. So at level 30 I would mean having 50 spell ranks in the sorc circle.

Alkire
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/08/2015 02:05 PM CDT
are there any way to respec if I wanted to change things. Ugh so much to re-learn!
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/08/2015 02:22 PM CDT

Any suggestions or links on how to pay sorcerer guild dues? I've printed out map found out how to get to guild in soulhaven have entered but can't find anything in there.
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/08/2015 02:28 PM CDT

A bit frustrating. I signed for first time in year got notice that my dues were late. printed some maps, made it to the sorcerers guild and when I got there was told I was kicked out and had to me re-initiated. Can anyone provide any info/links on how to go about this?
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/08/2015 02:43 PM CDT
While I do feel having 120 is important in the long term, I don't understand why people feel the need to get it quite so early. My sorcerer didn't pick it up until rather close to 50 and did just fine without it until then, the extra TD and DS shouldn't be needed.

As Silvean said, CS is always helpful and I'd suggest keeping around 1x between MnE and MnS while working to build on sorcerer ranks. How much is really up to each person but I dislike wasting mana on missed casts. If you find you want more CS adding more sorcerer ranks tends to be the first step.

As far as harness power goes I often suggest being 2x until you hit 100 ranks then stop training it. Even if you happen to be in CoL that extra mana will allow you to start hunting with your more mana intensive spells sooner, use disabling spells more often, and stretch your CS a bit further through use of the TD lowering version of curse.

I know a lot of people stress training in a variety of magical skills but to me you shouldn't train them just to train them. train up the skills you are going to be using. Figure out the things you want for your character, prioritize those things, then figure out how to train for them.
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/08/2015 02:46 PM CDT
>>A bit frustrating. I signed for first time in year got notice that my dues were late. printed some maps, made it to the sorcerers guild and when I got there was told I was kicked out and had to me re-initiated. Can anyone provide any info/links on how to go about this?

You need a guild master, which can be either a player or an NPC that can be found in any of the guilds. For the NPC I believe you ask about initiation but it has been a while.
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/08/2015 03:42 PM CDT

Geez this game is HARD to get back into after many years. Can anyone suggest hunting grounds? BY looking in my backpack I can see last thing I was hunting was dobrems. I'm in soul haven. Might need to under hunt for a while to figure out all the new hunting strategies I created this guy back in 97-98 I think.

Can any one recommend any program to runs scripts for traveling? I seem to remember using those the last time I played like 5-6 years ago.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the responses so far.
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/08/2015 04:14 PM CDT
This is probably the answer to your question about getting around: https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/The_Lich

Among other things anyway.

For figuring out hunting grounds I tend to suggest the adventurer's guild, try the tasks you get assigned and figure out which ones you can do within reason and which you can't. Information about it is also on the wiki: https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Adventurer%27s_Guild

If you don't like Solhaven you can travel to almost any city at your level and find some hunting. Zul and RR likely have the best loot, probably followed by Teras. You are likely to find the most support in the landing, then either Icemule or Teras.
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/08/2015 04:18 PM CDT
I sent you an email about the scripts. If you need help with guild membership or illusions, look for Silvean. If you decide to do alchemy, look for a therapist.
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/08/2015 04:27 PM CDT
>>If you decide to do alchemy, look for a therapist.

Do you have a couch and a clipboard?
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/08/2015 04:43 PM CDT

You might also want to check out https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/New_player and the sorcerer guide linked on the page.
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/08/2015 06:23 PM CDT
If you have a lot of questions coming to you faster then folk here answer, you might want to make your way to Silverwood Manor in the Landing and ring the bell there for a Mentor. Most Mentors have experience with several professions and I'm sure having live help on questions about the guild or various mechanics would be a lot less frustrating then waiting for someone to respond on the forums (though there are some things, like assessing your overall training or STAT placement, that are generally easier here).

Starchitin

PS Never hesitate to ring the bell! We're there to help however we can!

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/09/2015 11:18 AM CDT
I liked overtraining (read: past 2x) in spells to learn more spells, personally. I had all my spells by about level 44 (140, 435, 740). I definitely liked the build. 120 might not be necessary, and neither 130, or 140. They are all good spells though.

I didn't start overtraining Arcane Symbols until I got really big into scrolls and infusion, perhaps levels 50 to 60 (once I knew all my spells). The extra duration there is really worth it if you do a lot of infusion. Magic Items though...not so much...we aren't wizards.

I've felt 1x in HP was sufficient. 2x isn't bad idea by any means, but it is a lot of points. I'd think, if one uses scroll infusion, the points are much better spent there. Being able to unlock most any scroll in a workshop is nice. (Minor Mental and Arcane tended to be the most difficult for me...small statues are heavy....I prefer a 20-charge 1712 scroll myself.)

As for a rough guess of new features in your down time:

740 Planar Shift (at least the "gold ring" version)

713 Balefire

715 Star Curse

Some parts of 118 Web (area, bolt)

Probably I'm missing stuff, but sorcerers have become very feasible partial-bolt hunters in the last half a decade, either for a pinch situation, certain kinds of builds, or whatever. I always promoted it for group hunting and invasions, assuming this is your main character and you may care about these things.

You can pull up the gswiki on all those and have a peek.

Oh yeah, and 735 ENSORCELL! WOOWZ

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/09/2015 11:20 AM CDT
>Physical Fitness...................| 96 22
>Perception.........................| 93 21

1x both those for life. They help for maneuvers, and us sorcerers are lame ducks for that.

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php?title=Special:Search&search=Creature+maneuver

Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/10/2015 07:40 PM CDT
I have a sorcerer at almost the same amount of experience, and was a lot happier when I went up to 2.5x spell research.

You really feel CS differences at that level, and being many levels away from spells you want is not fun.

- Xorus' player
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/22/2015 02:20 AM CDT
Speaking of advice when looking at skills, I could use some myself as a level 10 GoS sorcerer:

| Bonus Ranks
Physical Fitness...................| 54 12
Arcane Symbols.....................| 54 12
Magic Item Use.....................| 54 12
Spell Aiming.......................| 102 24
Harness Power......................| 54 10
Elemental Mana Control.............| 54 12
Spirit Mana Control................| 54 12
Perception.........................| 54 11
Climbing...........................| 50 10
Swimming...........................| 25 5

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 2

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 3

Spell Lists
Sorcerer...........................| 24
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/22/2015 04:23 PM CDT
Looking at your training, I can tell that you're going to have DS problems in the very near future, if you aren't already having them.

Such heavy focus on the sorcerer circle is great for yer CS, but with 3x in spells it's a bit overkill to put all but 5 ranks into the sorcerer circle. Most sorcerers only 2x in spells till later in their carriers, so you're already ahead of the CS game by going 3x. I'd recommend training 1x in each circle until you have 120 and 430, once you get each of those spells you can put the ranks that were going to those circles into the sorcerer circle to continue advancing CS.

You should also try to find the points to get enough ranks in Armor Use to get into full leather, unless you intend on geting a good pair of enchanted robes.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/22/2015 04:35 PM CDT
All the cool kids wear at least doubles!

Kidding! or am I?

Sometime that 2% hindrance seems like 100%

Peace
Zhelas

(Lord Paladin walks around Droit examining his equipment.)
Lord Paladin: How does he....How does he work?
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/22/2015 07:03 PM CDT
May as well try it and see how badly I hate the change in CS vs what I had before. It looks like it should remove 8, which feels like enough to notice, but for non GoS things I was able to uphunt really easily with what I had offensive-wise so maybe this will work as long as I don't go all warcampy till I have a bit more mana/skill.

As for other questions, when should I start focusing on lores a bit? So far I've been barely having enough TDPs to do what I want so I'm a bit worried about that, and I thought I may as well ask when I'm still in the fixskill period, thanks for the advice on my first GS4 character!
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/23/2015 05:10 AM CDT
<As for other questions, when should I start focusing on lores a bit?>

Because you've decided to 3x in spells, you may not be able to get much, if anything, in the way of lores for quite a while... at least till around level 50. You'll be able to hit critters much more easily then most other sorcerers your level, but the trade-off will be that you miss out on the perks that lores provide. This is one reason not many sorcerers 3x in spells any more.

If lores are important to you, you should be able to pick up enough in one of them to be useful by dropping down to 2.5x in spells for now. As your character gains levels to get more TPs/level and is able to reduce training in things like MIU and AS you should be able to work your way back up to 3x in spells without sacrificing lores.

It would definitely be worth looking at the benefits lores give 111, 701, 704, 708, 711, 712, 713, and 718 to see if the lore benefits of any of them will be useful and playing around with GOALS to see what you'd have to sacrifice to get the benefits. The perks of lores are very nice to have, but unless you're going to rely heavily on bolting it's probably not absolutely necessary that you have any of them.

Starchitin

Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/23/2015 12:28 PM CDT
I think this build looks rock solid for level 10. I'd definitely cut back the massive overtrain on 700s myself sooner or later, but at the same time I do this at lower levels, too, as suggested by Starchitin. Up to 120 and 430 is about right, too. Remember your sorcerer CS will get a +12.5 at learning 425, too. You need at least 414 to be viable though (430 is sort of icing after you went to 425 for the CS boost). You could keep down to 107 and get 120 a little later, if you want to keep overtrained in 700s (but I wouldn't go past 20 overtrained ranks...the diminishing returns really hurt after that).

Keep in mind that the warding margin generally gets easier with higher levels, and as you have more mana it's less of an issue.

As for lores, I personally 1x sorcery lore for life. I liked Demonology under ~50 and then going towards Necromancy, mostly from a mechanical perspective but anyway, it's a pretty cheap skill and it gets pretty decent mileage IMO.

I like spiritual summoning lore for a few reasons. Web bolt is very nice, the extra ensares for area web are very useful for me, and a little DF for 111 doesn't hurt, nor the splashes. Technically it helps with 715 too, but this is largely irrelevant.

Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/23/2015 07:01 PM CDT

| Bonus Ranks
Physical Fitness...................| 58 12
Arcane Symbols.....................| 58 12
Magic Item Use.....................| 58 12
Spell Aiming.......................| 102 24
Harness Power......................| 54 11
Elemental Mana Control.............| 58 12
Spirit Mana Control................| 58 12
Sorcerous Lore - Demonology........| 54 11
Sorcerous Lore - Necromancy........| 5 1
Perception.........................| 54 11
Climbing...........................| 50 10
Swimming...........................| 25 5

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 7

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 8

Spell Lists
Sorcerer...........................| 10

Here is where I am now after taking into account some of the advice from you guys. So far the CS decrease is only really driving me nuts fighting Grimswarm spawn enemies, with on level hunting/bounty hunting being perfectly decent. The spell hinderance from double leather isn't too bad so far, so I might keep it like that. I have one further question, with stats how high should I have my prime requisites? Do I want to have them near max for the power, or somewhat lower for avoiding growth I can't use?
Re: back for first time in MANY years 04/23/2015 07:33 PM CDT
<I have one further question, with stats how high should I have my prime requisites? Do I want to have them near max for the power, or somewhat lower for avoiding growth I can't use?>

This is really a matter of preference, there are advantages and disadvantages to setting stats for growth as well as for maxing prim stats. I'd set them as low as you're comfortable with and put the spare points into slower growing stats. I haven't gone wrong with any of my own characters setting the prim stats at 80 to start, but I know there are those that would recommend both higher and lower then that.

Starchitin

Re: back for first time in MANY years 06/24/2015 03:14 PM CDT

Bump!

Semi related question here. I am wondering about casting leathers, do they really make a difference? My sorceress has 8 ranks in armor, wears casting leathers and still has a 2% hindrance. Is the term "casting leathers" just a cool description or is there really a difference between them and other 4x leathers of the same type?

Thanks!
Re: back for first time in MANY years 06/24/2015 03:28 PM CDT

>Is the term "casting leathers" just a cool description or is there really a difference between them and other 4x leathers of the same type?

You need to inspect the leathers to see what it is. You can tell what it is based on the coverage.

http://www.play.net/gs4/info/armory/armorleather.asp
Re: back for first time in MANY years 06/24/2015 03:50 PM CDT
<Is the term "casting leathers" just a cool description or is there really a difference between them and other 4x leathers of the same type?>

It's most likely just a cool description, though it never hurts to find a bard to sing to them. Unless it's old enough that it was made before current standards or was a raffle prize, any armor you buy will have the properties of the ASG it INSPECTS as.

The only time it's safe to assume a word in the description of either weapons or armor indicates special properties is if it's the name of a metal/wood, drake, or feras.

Some words like "sharp" or "edged" will often mean a weapon is weighted (though not always). Similarly, weapons and shields with spikes on them often have spike flares and many runestaves with different colored orbs on them often have various flares (and I know there are others out there that don't spring immediately to mind).... but there are enough exceptions floating around that it's impossible to tell without a bard or experimentation.

Starchitin

Re: back for first time in MANY years 06/24/2015 04:04 PM CDT

Thank you, I don't think these are particularly old or special in any way. They are probably no different than any other enchanted double leathers.
I will see about finding a bard to sing to them though.

I was confused because long ago my sorc had casting leathers and I don't remember ever getting spell hindrance with them. I believe they were just "Elven Casting Leathers." Sold on a Juggernaut or some such. It was long ago though and my memory is fuzzy at best.

So on that note, what type of armor is the modern sorcerer favoring?
Re: back for first time in MANY years 06/24/2015 04:53 PM CDT
<So on that note, what type of armor is the modern sorcerer favoring?>

That depends on what level of spell hindrance one is comfortable with and how you see your sorcerer:

-Some opt for robes to reduce encumbrance as much as possible to help avoid maneuvers (most sorcerers can boost their DS high enough that melee attacks rarely hit at like level anyway, unless a maneuver hit them first).

-Others want at least a little armor but can't stand casting hindrance and will go for the highest ASG that doesn't interfere with casting, full leather.

-The third group doesn't mind a bit of hindrance and prefer having full body coverage. These folk usually don't go higher then double leather or brig at the absolute highest, though I have heard of a couple near/post cap sorcerers that have gone as far up as chain hauberk (though how they can stand that hindrance is beyond me).

Personally, I'm in the second group with my sorcerer. I've found hindrance, even at 2%, tends to rear it's ugly head when you NEED a spell to be successful to avoid death and it's nice to have at least a little coverage on my torso when I'm hunting in areas that have critters using ranged attacks or I get hit by a maneuver.

Starchitin

Re: back for first time in MANY years 06/24/2015 05:05 PM CDT

Since I end up wearing enhancive arm/leg greaves/helm anyway, I wear doubles.
Re: back for first time in MANY years 06/24/2015 07:13 PM CDT
Yup casting leathers is just fluff, i have a set that is full leather.

You tap some sleek form-fitting casting leathers, which is in your right hand.

You carefully inspect your form-fitting leathers.

Your careful inspection of some sleek form-fitting casting leathers allows you to conclude that it is soft leather armor that covers the torso and arms.

You determine that you could wear the leathers around your chest. The leathers appears to serve some purpose.

Player of Malisai

Winterberry goes in both hands.

~ X., Free the Fifth

Yanso says, "Everyone offer thanks to the healthy looking lass and the most famous sorcerer or all time for finding these magical flowers."
Re: back for first time in MANY years 06/24/2015 07:54 PM CDT

Thank you, mine are doubles then? Thus the 2% spell hindrance?

You tap some polished black Dreadnaught casting leathers with a small symbol on the chest, which is in your right hand.
>inspect lea
You carefully inspect your casting leathers.

Your careful inspection of some polished black Dreadnaught casting leathers with a small symbol on the chest allows you to conclude that it is soft leather armor that covers the torso, arms, legs, neck, and head.

You determine that you could wear the leathers around your chest. The leathers appears to serve some purpose.

It looks like this item has been mainly crafted out of leather.

>look my leathers
You see nothing unusual, except for a small enchanter's glyph.

Player of Taunee
Re: back for first time in MANY years 06/24/2015 08:41 PM CDT
>>Thank you, mine are doubles then? Thus the 2% spell hindrance?

Yes those are doubles. The soft leather armor part tells you which armor group, and the last place it covers(The head in this instance) tells you which within the group it is.
Re: back for first time in MANY years 06/25/2015 10:37 PM CDT
Note that spell hindrance depends on the circle of spell being cast. A wizard would see 4% hindrance using the same armor, while a cleric would have none at all. Sorcerer spells, being in theory a combination of spirit and elemental, get a spell hindrance half-way between the other two.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: back for first time in MANY years 06/25/2015 10:39 PM CDT
To clarify further, you should see a 4% hindrance on MnE spells like e-wave, and no hindrance with MnS spells like spirit fire when wearing double leather. Wands of any sort will be unaffected.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: back for first time in MANY years 06/26/2015 05:01 PM CDT
MnE has 0 hindrance in doubles, it is only MjE and Wizard circles that see it.