Early hunting 03/16/2015 10:57 PM CDT
So, I'm back after a long time away, at one point I had a sorcerer to about 30 if I can remember correctly. I do remember the early levels grinding hard and sucking, but I was wondering if anyone had any hunting suggestions. I'm in the landing right now, doing hobs, gremlins, etc.

My mana seems to be going really fast... So I'll clean out my mana tank then head back to town, rest, and go back out. I don't think I've got friend since level 3. I'm strictly magic, not sword and board so thats probably part of my reason. I've been trying to look for people to imbue wands/duplicate fresh ones I find but it seems like sorcerers are pretty scarce... in the landing at least.

Any tips for a returnee?
Re: Early hunting 03/16/2015 11:02 PM CDT

I'll be back in the Landing tomorrow evening if you want hit up Allereli for some imbedded ranger rods.
Re: Early hunting 03/16/2015 11:11 PM CDT
I have some wands and other items I can give you.

Silvean's Player
Re: Early hunting 03/17/2015 04:55 AM CDT
Bloodburst a rolton; twice if you are the impatient type. Wait for it to die. Animal types can't tend wounds.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Early hunting 03/17/2015 05:49 AM CDT
In principle, we should be doing a better job answering this question on the Beginner's Guide to Playing a Sorcerer.

I'll see what I can do about finishing up my previous additions to that page and go about "What to hunt" and "How to hunt" as best I can.

My thoughts are like this:

Early levelsrats, roltons, sea nymphs
5 to 7Ocoma Vale is okay
7 to 8Gremlins for small races
8 to 10Fire phantoms, bone golems (RR o_O)
10 to 12Werebears (Solhaven Trail)
12 to 14Darkwoodes and Werebears in Upper Trollfang
15 to 17Wraiths, maybe
18 to 22Nedum Verari
~25Krolvin warfarers with 710
~40sShans in Solhaven with 719

Anyone else want to help with this list? I haven't brought a sorcerer up in a system where easily going to RR (old days or Plat) is a problem. There are some obvious gaps, or maybe some choices I made you don't like. We can double-up on many suggestions, and my precise level ranges are sort of off-hand. I also got lazy after about level 20...

Also, get someone to teach you Sacrifice.

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes
Re: Early hunting 03/17/2015 07:06 AM CDT
The nedum vereri have a nasty -40 TD pushdown now, immobilizing you with fear on very low warding rolls.

With 120 it might not be a problem, but I was not trained that way coming back in from GSIII.

- Xorus' player

A grizzled old warrior rubs his shoulder and glances up at the sky. "Feels like the weather is changing," he says.
Re: Early hunting 03/17/2015 01:37 PM CDT

Thanks all, I'll keep an eye out for you all in the lands. I appreciate the advice/help.

- Player of Olmen
Re: Early hunting 03/17/2015 01:57 PM CDT
Note: gemlins steal your stuff and run off.

"The invaders are so many, and our country so small ...
where will we find the space to bury all of them?"
Re: Early hunting 03/17/2015 03:41 PM CDT

Yeah, I remember... even when you are dead... They have no respect.
Re: Early hunting 03/17/2015 03:46 PM CDT
If you're hunting gremlins, just don't take anything with you that you mind losing.

Here's some forgotten gremlin lore, including where to find stuff they've stolen from you or others:

http://tinyurl.com/pfmuydc (archive.org)

There were no gnomes when the above guide was written, so I'm not sure how gnomes fare there.
Re: Early hunting 03/17/2015 11:43 PM CDT
Cut and pasted from a old post I found

of course this could vary due to different training paths, but this is where I usually hunt my sorcerers (I

have several of them)...

the first hunting grounds listed in each train was may favorite hunting ground at that train...

0-4 Landing GY (skeletons, ghouls ect) or Vaalor Cemetary (same stuff)
5-8 Landing GY (mummies) Vaalor Plains of Bone (dirges and golems)
9-12 Landing GY (wraiths) Vaalor Plains of Bone (spectres and wolfshades)
13-18 Landing Temple of Love (vereri) Vaalor Plains of bone (arch wights, ghoul masters)
19-23 Vaalor lower weald (spirits, zombies, and niirsha) Landing spider temple (acolytes and priests) or GY (moaners)
24-28 Vaalor upper weald (tree spirits, monks) Landing spider temple (same but add arachnids)
29-35 Zul Logoth Troll graveyard (undead trolls... crazy loot) Solhaven (Shan) Landing GY ledge (pookas), Illistim Wraithenmist (lords, mara)
36-40 Trail to Solhaven, Castle Varunar (phantasmas) Landing Misty chamber (Sheru monks, initiates, Vruul...ect) Landing GY Ledge (steeds and mares) Illistim Gyldemar (trali) RR (hags, wights, trolls)
41-48 Vaalor Bog (spectres, shades, wights... and pretty decent loot) Teras (banshees) Illistim (Kiramon)
49-55 Landing Thanatoph (stone trolls and stone giants... great loot) Teras (Wind roltons) Illistim glacier (madrinol, slush, morph) Solhaven (eidolons)
56-63 Illistim treetops (Black forest ogres and vipers... no boars there) Teras (Wind roltons) Landing Darkstone (Harbingers and nightmare steeds) or Stronghold (Illoke... don't go hear too soon, maybe start at 62)
64-66 Illistim temple wyneb (supplicants, heirophants, and dogmastists) Rift plane one (at 66 trains,
Csetairi, Lunatics, and Naisirc) Teras eye of V'tull (fire mages, sprites, tsarks) Landing Stronghold (Illoke)
67-72 Illstim mahgoras tower (shrickhen, moulis, and golares... so easy and awsome loot) Teras Eye of V'tull (mages, sprites) Rift plane one (Csetairi, Lunatics, and Naisirc)
73-77 Illistim OTF Ducts (gremlocks, taints, beings) Illistim Mahgoras tower (shrickhen, moulis, and golares)
Re: Early hunting 03/18/2015 02:20 AM CDT
>Note: gemlins steal your stuff and run off.

Exactly! They use all their action rounds grabbing your crystal amulet or acantha leaf, it's great.

But yes, don't take anything too valuable with you.

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes
Re: Early hunting 03/18/2015 08:32 PM CDT
If you see Malisai around, you can ask him for spells. If he is grumpy about it, dont worry.

I think that around 13 or so (maybe 15) large ogres on the way to solhaven were pretty easy. I think they wear leather armor or dont have any, which made warding them not so bad.

Player of Malisai

Winterberry goes in both hands.

~ X., Free the Fifth

Yanso says, "Everyone offer thanks to the healthy looking lass and the most famous sorcerer or all time for finding these magical flowers."
Re: Early hunting 05/13/2015 10:18 PM CDT

Late to this party. But I've found 710 to be the best use of my mana at lower levels. At 15 I was wearing Silverbacks out with it. Anything lower in level than you 710 decimates, or leaves the critter in a stunned and prone position to wand whip. The beauty lies in its irresistability.

My guy is at 28 now, and I still love 710. Throw 706 or 708 (right arm) first, call in the storm and strike a sorcerer pose. If mana issues, I use glass of thanot wands.