Okay lets play a sorcerer. 10/23/2014 01:19 PM CDT
Okay So i Just made my DE sorc started by visiting all the point of intrest, then talking to old thrak, and now working on iron. So i should be lvl 3 shortly all my stats are mainly physical right now to swing away, but just went after a rat and only had a 20 as with a handaxe. where have i gone wrong?

kills:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 10 2
Shield Use.........................| 10 2
Edged Weapons......................| 20 4
Physical Fitness...................| 20 4
Arcane Symbols.....................| 20 4
Magic Item Use.....................| 20 4
Spell Aiming.......................| 30 6
Harness Power......................| 15 3
Elemental Mana Control.............| 15 3
Spirit Mana Control................| 15 3
Sorcerous Lore - Demonology........| 15 3
Perception.........................| 20 4

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 1

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 2

Spell Lists
Sorcerer...........................| 2

Stats: Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 90 (20) ... 90 (20)
Constitution (CON): 90 (15) ... 90 (15)
Dexterity (DEX): 71 (20) ... 71 (20)
Agility (AGL): 70 (15) ... 70 (15)
Discipline (DIS): 70 (0) ... 70 (0)
Aura (AUR): 52 (11) ... 52 (11)
Logic (LOG): 71 (10) ... 71 (10)
Intuition (INT): 70 (15) ... 70 (15)
Wisdom (WIS): 51 (5) ... 51 (5)
Influence (INF): 32 (-14) ... 32 (-14)
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 10/23/2014 05:50 PM CDT

Combat maneuvers would also add to AS, but quite expensive for a sorcerer. Can't remember if I had any ranks or not while hunting rats. Biggest available boosters to AS for you would be getting a minor elemental edge on your weapon from a wizard for +15. Also strength from a wizard or a white crystal for another 15. Do you intend to be a weapon swinging sorcerer or just doing it at low levels until you have mana to sustain a partial-full hunt?
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 10/25/2014 03:50 AM CDT
You can switch skills as many times as you want in the first 30 days. I usually hunt rats with a claidhmore, even until level 5 if you want.

Just get HP and DS buff spell ranks, spell yourself up while resting, then crank it to offensive mode for hunting (ie: full THW and CM). At some point it will get easier to hunt with sorcerer spells, and you can probably strip yourself of nearly all skills and put it into 3x spells all at the 700s and whatever is left into over-trained HP. Coming to rest? Switch to buff spells and spell yourself up while waiting.

Also, train up to 706 and get someone to teach you sacrifice. With 52 aura that might be tough but, it's still a nice still to have.

>only had a 20 as with a handaxe.

This doesn't add up. You have +20 bonus to STR and +20 to edged weapons, which should be an AS of 40. I guess you put up 102 by mistake. Don't use that when you're swinging.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 10/25/2014 10:36 PM CDT
Hit the nail on the head, Daid. had spirit barrier up and was tanking my as.
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 10/30/2014 09:11 AM CDT
So just trained 10, any suggestions where to hunt?
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 10/30/2014 12:11 PM CDT
I think at 10 trains I was at the graveyard, using 710 to hunt.

Player of Malisai

Winterberry goes in both hands.

~ X., Free the Fifth
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 10/30/2014 01:39 PM CDT
tried using 710 for a bit but burnt through mana, also my CS is crap like 61 what am i doing wrong? stats and skills for reference

| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Physical Fitness...................| 54 11
Arcane Symbols.....................| 96 22
Magic Item Use.....................| 96 22
Spell Aiming.......................| 96 22
Harness Power......................| 50 10
Elemental Mana Control.............| 54 11
Spirit Mana Control................| 54 11
Sorcerous Lore - Demonology........| 25 5
Climbing...........................| 25 5
Swimming...........................| 25 5

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 1

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 2

Spell Lists
Sorcerer...........................| 16
Training Points: 173 Phy 11 Mnt

Strength (STR): 89 (19) ... 89 (19)
Constitution (CON): 86 (13) ... 86 (13)
Dexterity (DEX): 62 (16) ... 62 (16)
Agility (AGL): 76 (18) ... 76 (18)
Discipline (DIS): 72 (1) ... 72 (1)
Aura (AUR): 60 (15) ... 60 (15)
Logic (LOG): 67 (8) ... 67 (8)
Intuition (INT): 73 (16) ... 73 (16)
Wisdom (WIS): 67 (13) ... 67 (13)
Influence (INF): 50 (-5) ... 50 (-5)
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 10/30/2014 01:52 PM CDT

Physical Fitness...................| 54 11
Arcane Symbols.....................| 96 22
Magic Item Use.....................| 96 22
Spell Aiming.......................| 96 22
Harness Power......................| 50 10
Elemental Mana Control.............| 54 11
Spirit Mana Control................| 54 11
Climbing...........................| 25 5
Swimming...........................| 25 5

I would move AS and MIU down to 1x per training. you may want to consider training in perception (.5-.75x is fine). I would also make use of wizard wands with your spell aim (change to stance offensive before waving/casting bolt spells, in case you didn't know). imbeddable ranger rods with 40 charges of 702 are also very helpful in getting through these stages.
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 10/30/2014 05:21 PM CDT

Dropping AS and MIU to 1x leaves me with a bunch of spare points.
Should I invest in more spell ranks?, and if so which line?
I also have a ton physical point where do those need to be put?

Sorry my first pure, lost as last year Easter eggs
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 10/30/2014 07:59 PM CDT
I would crank down the armor use and put it into more magic. At that age, I believe I was still chasing thraks until I noticed the dirges in the graveyard. I think I stay in the dirges for a very long time before switching to wraiths.

Dirges and wraiths are very boring, so if you find something else, go for it.

This was years and years ago.

Magarven the Mad
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 10/30/2014 08:26 PM CDT

>Dropping AS and MIU to 1x leaves me with a bunch of spare points. Should I invest in more spell ranks?, and if so which line? I also have a ton physical point where do those need to be put?

yes, additional spell ranks. you should also use the physical points on more spell ranks. Eventually you will have only physical points to use on all skills.
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 10/30/2014 11:34 PM CDT
If you are already a pure spell caster, then don't be afraid to convert your PTPs when training in skills that need MTPs. I usually use weapons to level 19-20 with my pure casters, to save mana, and then fixskill all that away; clearly in that case weapon skills eat up my PTPs quite nicely. By cap, my pure caster cleric had over 1800 PTPs converted to mental; it's just a thing that happens with pure caster types. Don't sweat it. Just allocate some PTPs for purely physical skills; physical fitness, climbing, swimming, survival and such.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 10/31/2014 11:38 PM CDT
well went back to a THW swinger for a bit found a elegent vultite maul in one of my toons lockers, so hopefully will be able to get a little more exp before going full caster.
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 10/31/2014 11:39 PM CDT
Also throgg, after this toon you have inspired me to make a war mage.
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 11/02/2014 03:35 PM CST
So is one society better mechanical for a sorc then others ?
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 11/02/2014 05:24 PM CST
>So is one society better mechanical for a sorc then others ?

The classic choice is the society that lets you get all of your mana back in exchange for spirit. But Voln and Sunfist have numerous selling points as well. As an outsider looking in, the Voln ability to teleport into certain hunting areas and the Sunfist sigil allowing for temporary critical padding are both attractive.

I think this decision should be informed by the RP identity of your character more than anything.

Silvean's Player
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 11/03/2014 11:22 AM CST
Voln also gives you a cs boost vs undead for a symbol too.
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 11/03/2014 12:04 PM CST
>>well went back to a THW swinger for a bit found a elegent vultite maul in one of my toons lockers, so hopefully will be able to get a little more exp before going full caster.<<

I have tried THW users with all 4 of the "pure caster" professions; sorcerers make the worst weapon wielders later on in the game due to lack of buffs. Mages are probably best, with empaths close behind. Clerics are great at start, but fall behind late in the game. It may be significant that I capped all three professions using THWs, but never thought to do the same with a sorcerer; a little bit of thought revealed certain weaknesses in such a build. That having been said, I do now have a THW wielding sorceress; she is now level 20.

Unfortunately, much of my time now is spent trying to raise my rogue; I have never capped a square character, and the difference is quite noticeable as far as hunting styles. However, it means little or no time left for the sorceress gal :(
From what little work I have done, I can project that it should be possible, but a bit tricky. I think I recall someone else a while back who had played his THW sorcerer to some impressive level or other, but I can't recall who or the details thereof. This was a couple of years ago, I think.

One reason few folks are inspired to play a weapon using sorcerer is that sorcerers have some better ways of clearing out a room. Try major e-wave followed by open implosion. Smoosh. Best to seal the void up again afterwards, of course, unless you want folks complaining that your void sucked them up. I mean, they do get a free trip back to town, but some people complain about everything.

>>Also throgg, after this toon you have inspired me to make a war mage.<<

Mages make the best weaponeers (IMO, of course; your mileage may vary), due to a unique combination of spells, if you use the proper lore training. Air lore and MjE spell ranks for haste, then earth lore for strength effect. It's a rather specialized and restrictive training pathway, but e-wave followed by swinging away hasted at 1 strike per second usually does the trick. Also check out the weapon AS bonus from self-cast strength, if you train in earth lores. You can take this topic up further in the mage folder.

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 11/03/2014 12:08 PM CST
>>So is one society better mechanical for a sorc then others ?<<

Traditionally, CoL for wracking to regenerate mana. Best used with a halfling or dwarf; while dark elves get the best CS bonus from stats, their spirit regeneration is terrible. With the Voln revision, and the creation of GoS, all three choices are viable.

Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 11/04/2014 12:47 AM CST
Here's an estimate of what I hunted with my halfling sorcerers at lower levels. He is clearly in that...society that's really good when your race has high spirit regeneration.

First creature to play pure against: gremlins. TD is only 10 for a level 5 creature, and if you give them acantha leaves etc they hardly take any meaningful action rounds. But large races won't be able to maneuver the area well at all. I do this until level 7 or 8.

Next is fire phantoms and bone golems in RR. They are a cinch. Though you may be averse to RR, this is easy pickings at level 10. Another good option is the werebears on the Solhaven trail. This gets you to level 10 or 11.

By level 11 or 12, darkwoodes can be found along with werebears on the WL-Trollfang map. Call Wind can knock out 102 I believe, but that's not as nasty as it used to be (when 102 was +50 DS without piles of MnS ranks). I recall dark orcs in the AI being fairly easy as well.

By the time you're about level 15, you can go for wraiths (I prefer the IMT ones usually, but any will do) or to mix things up fire guardians on the North Beach in Solhaven.

You can do that until you graduate to nedum vereri in the Temple of Love (WL-Trollfang again). This gets you to level 20 pretty easily.

All that above, I do via 702.

I finally start using 710 on krolvin warfarers. If your DS is solid (which it should be) you can just lay down in front of them, so that you don't get any RT from their ewaves.

And that map should have you covered for awhile. If you're in EN, ask someone else.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 11/13/2014 11:54 AM CST
any common macro's i should know about for casters or scripts etc?
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 11/13/2014 01:26 PM CST
<any common macro's i should know about for casters or scripts etc?>

One to PREP and CAST attack spells you commonly use is invaluable. I can't tell you how many times I died because I was trying to type too fast and kept typing "prp" or "perp" instead of "prep" (I've tried to train myself to just type "pre" but my fingers just won't do it and that last "p" always trips me up).

Yea, I know about TARGET and INCANT, but when you're in the middle of killing and something dangerous wanders in you have to deal with quickly, your mind tends to go where it's used to going rather then where it's logical to go.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 11/13/2014 01:50 PM CST

target/incant is a much better habit to get into since you can target during RT, you can retrain yourself with some effort.

I use aliases for hunting more than macros
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 11/13/2014 08:40 PM CST
I agree with using TARGET and INCANT over PREP/CAST. Things like Star Curse need a PREP/CAST, but otherwise I like the other system.

You can set whether incanting defaults to channeling or not with a flag. I usually channel since I don't tend to care about the hard RT and would prefer less shots of 702 to kill something, except for looting certain undead.

One thing that came up not too long ago was how the targetting system works in a slightly unexpected way. If you use INCANT and start killing a creature, and another one of those creatures walks in, you'll continue hitting the first one if you don't change your target. The new creature is added to the top of the room (like players queuing for a merchant), so if you then TARGET CREATURE you'll now be aiming at the new one. If you wanted to change back to the first one, TARGET OTHER CREATURE.

I use like Ctrl+T macro for "TARGET @". Then I use other Ctrl+[] for like "INCANT 702\r". I made a table at some point for my preferred way, but any way to remember is fine. 'S' for stun (706). 'D' for Disrupt (702). 'F' for Forget (703, old name). 'G' for Grey beam (705, color of spell). 'I' for Implode (720). 'L' for Limb (708). 'P' for Phase (704), but this could be 'P' for Pain (711). 'M' for Maelstrom (710). 'C' for Catalyst (719). 'Q' for Quake (709). 'E' for Evil Eye (717). 'T' for Torment (718).

I don't actually use or set all these macros, but it gives you an idea. AIM can set your default limb for 708, if you do 2x Spell Aiming (I love it), but be aware you have to manually set another limb via AIM or like CAST CREATURE RIGHT LEG (which doesn't use the macro above for INCANT).

Aliases are fine, too. On my present front end I can't use Ctrl+S so now I have an alias for 'stun' which does 706. And for bolt spells you definitely want an alias/short macro to change to stance offensive, INCANT 111, stance defensive (for each of 111, 118, 713 that you want to use).

Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 11/14/2014 02:06 PM CST
I still do the old prep and cast for everything except bolt spells. When Balefire came out, I got fancy and started using incant in a limited way. Here's a short script I use for 118:

if_1 goto Cast
put stance offensive
put incant 118
waitfor strands of webbing
put stance defensive
exit
CAST:
put pr 118
put stance offensive
put cast at %0
waitfor strands of webbing
put stance defensive
put appraise %0

I named the script 8. So I just type ".8 kobold" to use it. It works in the Wizard FE. I think it would work in Stormfront too.

You could make a similar script for 111 and 713. I used 118 as an example because of the last line (appraise). Since 118 is a knockdown setup spell, using appraise lets me know if the target was actually knocked down (highlight the phrase "prone state"). For 111 and 713, you can delete the appraise line. If you do not have three type-ahead lines, then you'll probably need another waitfor command under the Cast label. The incant part of the script (for when I do not specify a target) is good for bandit tasks and invasions, especially with splash spells, such as 111 and 713.
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 11/15/2014 11:28 AM CST
alright so went ahead and setup my little sorc for full caster here is where i am at, Got one stat change left, and have until the 21st to get the skills right.

Skills:
| Bonus Ranks
Physical Fitness...................| 82 18
Arcane Symbols.....................| 78 17
Magic Item Use.....................| 78 17
Spell Aiming.......................| 128 34
Harness Power......................| 78 17
Elemental Mana Control.............| 78 17
Spirit Mana Control................| 78 17
Sorcerous Lore - Necromancy........| 15 3
Perception.........................| 30 6
Climbing...........................| 30 6
Swimming...........................| 30 6

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 9

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 11

Spell Lists
Sorcerer...........................| 20
Training Points: 46 Phy 0 Mnt (280 Phy converted to Mnt)

Stats: Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 90 (20) ... 90 (20)
Constitution (CON): 92 (16) ... 92 (16)
Dexterity (DEX): 69 (19) ... 69 (19)
Agility (AGL): 82 (21) ... 82 (21)
Discipline (DIS): 72 (1) ... 72 (1)
Aura (AUR): 61 (15) ... 61 (15)
Logic (LOG): 70 (10) ... 70 (10)
Intuition (INT): 75 (17) ... 75 (17)
Wisdom (WIS): 70 (15) ... 70 (15)
Influence (INF): 48 (-6) ... 48 (-6)

stats I got from playing with stat cruncher(dark elf if it matters), Skills are pretty standard as far as i can tell. need some advice on what spells to try to train till what and in what in order. any help would be great thank you.
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 11/20/2014 05:28 PM CST

Well made it to 17 by the end of my first thirty. Having a blast with this little sorc, thank you all for the help.
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 11/20/2014 10:24 PM CST
Glad you are having a blast! You ask above about what spells to aim for. I imagine 414 and 120 are still desirable goals in addition to staying at least 1x in sorcery. Beyond this, I'd go for whatever seems the most interesting to you.
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 11/20/2014 10:26 PM CST
Oh, and looking ahead to the next tier up: 425, 430, and 125 (for opening boxes) are all great. Think of the power you will have then. The POWER.
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 11/20/2014 11:37 PM CST
Then there is room for the idiosyncratic. It irritates me when I do not have Piercing Gaze.

- Xorus' player (et. al.)
Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 11/21/2014 10:22 PM CST
Silvean said:
>Oh, and looking ahead to the next tier up: 425, 430, and 125 (for opening boxes) are all great. Think of the power you will have then. The POWER.

and Iniquity:
>Then there is room for the idiosyncratic. It irritates me when I do not have Piercing Gaze.

More or less both of these are 'required' if you're gonna get big into boxes. You can find my guide here: www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Popping_boxes

Phase is also essential if you're gonna cast 416/125 at boxes. Let's you identify the presence of any glyph traps before Bad Things happen.

Re: Okay lets play a sorcerer. 11/21/2014 11:15 PM CST
Back in the day, I always kept a glyph trapped box on me. That way I could set them off on purpose at will.

Sometimes saved my life, for example, when I had no teleporting powers.