59th level sorcerer - reality check 06/14/2014 10:46 PM CDT
I have always seen myself as a jack-of-all-trades. I started as a Tripler before rune staffs and switched to staves right away, which cost me spells, shield, armor and weapons. As I approach level 60, I find that I have no plans for training.

As of right now, I am just 25k from 60 and have about 50 or 60 unused tp and I haven’t used them because I have no plan.

I have been thinking about either doubling spell aiming to become a better bolter. I haven’t a clue as to what I am doing with lores.

I have 3 ranks of ohe and thw because I sometime RP a low level character with a katana. I will never train off the three ranks I have, but would never invest more than 5 trains for that weapon. I like having the option of skinning for adventurer’s guild and love doing the herb tasks. I have stumbled on an enhancive that gives me lock picking and another that boosts survival by three, which is shown below. I am also in Voln and a follower of Zelia. If I had a group to follow, I would support the Ord An Dragon, but they (or Coffie) have some issues with me following Zelia. I often cast spells as an Ord An Dragon member would in River's Rest, but never mention them by name. I do make sure that I spell up everyone I can.

I used to hunt with disabling spells such as blood burst, nightmare and pain. Recently, I noticed that I could take a couple of hits and started hunting more aggressively with 719, 713 and 705. I have a single level/rank(?) of ensorcelment on my rune staff that offers good returns and I would like to boost that as much as possible and then go to work on my 4x robes.

I want to stay as viable as possible while maintaining my RP choices of 3 ranks of katana skills and affiliations. I am pretty self-reliant, I tend to cast spells for others and only self spell myself. I am tempted to fall back on my tripling roots, but somehow, that doesn’t seem right. My lores and spell aiming training are pretty bad.

What are my options and challenges as I age?

Magarven (at level 59), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Edged Weapons..................| 15 3
Two-Handed Weapons.............| 15 3
Multi Opponent Combat..........| 10 2
Physical Fitness...............| 160 60
Arcane Symbols.................| 164 64
Magic Item Use.................| 164 64
Spell Aiming...................| 190 90
Harness Power..................| 165 65
Elemental Mana Control.........| 164 64
Spirit Mana Control............| 164 64
Sorcerous Lore - Demonology....| 146 46
Sorcerous Lore - Necromancy....| 74 16
Survival.......................| 62 13
Picking Locks..................| 15 3
Perception.....................| 160 60
Climbing.......................| 90 20
Swimming.......................| 90 20
First Aid......................| 160 60
Spell Lists
Minor Elemental................| 40
Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual................| 40
Spell Lists
Sorcerer.......................| 62

Magarven the Mad
Re: 59th level sorcerer - reality check 06/15/2014 11:28 AM CDT
I'd personally get up to 52 ranks of demon lore, this will max the lore needed for cloak of Shadows and put you at the next threshold for phase. The more necro lore you have the faster you'll gain necrotic energy too and at 90 ranks of that you'll get double flares from 735(91 ranks will put you into the next seed for collecting energy however).

MOC isn't currently doing anything for you right now really. At 10 ranks it will help mitigate FOF by 1. So that's something you could work on.

As for spell aiming and this is just how I feel, I think it's a joke for sorcerers. There's never been a day that I regret dropping it all for other things. If you have to bolt as a sorcerer your doing something wrong IMO.

As far as spells go at 73 ranks of minor elemental you'll cap the cs boost from 425. I would definitely work up your sorcerer spell ranks too every rank over your level will get you .75 cs up to 20 ranks over your level and then it drops off to .5 for a while.
Re: 59th level sorcerer - reality check 06/15/2014 11:51 AM CDT

love bolting, love focused limb disruption. 2x spell aim or nothing. we had the spell aim debate recently, I don't remember what folder it's in, might be this one.

you don't specify what you want to do with sorcery, so maybe read the sorcerer spell list and decide what spells you most desire to be exceptional at.
Re: 59th level sorcerer - reality check 06/15/2014 11:52 AM CDT

>I don't remember what folder it's in, might be this one.

or it might be on the PC
Re: 59th level sorcerer - reality check 06/15/2014 11:59 AM CDT
I'll correct myself I do miss spell aiming only for 720, I went from 0-100 2x spell aim never ever bolted. I'll agree that 708 is a great reason to train in it. However 711 for me does everything that I'd 708 for and more. To each there own though.
Re: 59th level sorcerer - reality check 06/15/2014 07:51 PM CDT
>MOC isn't currently doing anything for you right now really

Completely false. It's got extra implode hits (and Maelstrom and ball spells which may be less relevant). Also the FOF mitigation is not a tier system, quoting KP: "These are not hard breakpoints; each rank of Multi Opponent Combat lessens the effect of Force on Force by a fractional amount." Now I agree 20% of one additional foe isn't much, however something around 2 to 5 ranks of MOC is recommended variously by a number of different people. Indeed I have 3 these days. I highly doubt many pre-cap sorcerers that don't swing a blade have 10.

I tend to agree that the 1.5x spell aiming is quaint. I don't think it's true one has to go "all or nothing" as I know some people that do 1x. I still vastly prefer 2x, but anyway I definitely cannot see what you gain by 1.5x unless you are working towards 2x. Regardless of what other people may say, if this is a character you plan to use during invasions, bolting is about the only option you tend to have to hit things. There are, in fact, some hunting grounds that bolting was my only effective tactic besides implosion (upper end of the Citadel being one), but that's because I never really believed in sinking every TP into a one-trick pony of 3x spells all into 700s.

I think you want to look ahead to hunting past RR and what you'll need for that. I went to the krag slopes and then the labyrinth in the landing. Pain is pretty indispensable there; dwellers can't be hit by too much else, and both dwellers and warriors generally cannot be otherwise incapacitated and have maneuver attacks. To that end, one wants to hit the 0.3x necromancy lore at a minimum to unlock the highest damage and RT thresholds.

Other than that, you should be pretty much fine.

>(OOC) Rozy's player whispers to the group, "Spiiiiiderhalfling!"

>Out of no where, a ki-lin gallops in.
Re: 59th level sorcerer - reality check 06/15/2014 08:58 PM CDT
>something around 2 to 5 ranks of MOC is recommended variously by a number of different people.

This is a fair point. You could also achieve a few MOC ranks with enhancives and free up TPs.

>I tend to agree that the 1.5x spell aiming is quaint. I don't think it's true one has to go "all or nothing" as I know some people that do 1x.

Some research on this was posted on the PC a month ago. It was demonstrated that anything less than 2x greatly reduces the efficacy of focused limb disruption and focused implosion. I like both abilities.

>I went to the krag slopes and then the labyrinth in the landing. Pain is pretty indispensable there; dwellers can't be hit by too much else, and both dwellers and warriors generally cannot be otherwise incapacitated and have maneuver attacks.

I believe krag dwellers (leg) and minotaur warriors (weapon arm) can both be incapacitated by focused limb disruption.

>To that end, one wants to hit the 0.3x necromancy lore at a minimum to unlock the highest damage and RT thresholds.

This may be the most powerful out of all the abilities offered by our expensive lore training. It certainly maximizes the effectiveness of Pain as a catch-all disabling spell. Silvean does not yet have this ability because he is heavily weighted toward demonology for RP reasons.
Re: 59th level sorcerer - reality check 06/15/2014 09:13 PM CDT
> You could also achieve a few MOC ranks with enhancives and free up TPs.

Yes I forgot to mention this.

>I believe krag dwellers (leg) and minotaur warriors (weapon arm) can both be incapacitated by focused limb disruption.

I was perhaps generalizing too much. Repeated Pain is a great way to kill them, and if the third (successful) shot doesn't kill them, a follow up mana disrupt usually will. The added benefit is, while you are killing them this way, they generally cannot do anything. It wasn't until around this level I started using Pain, but it's very powerful.

Re: 59th level sorcerer - reality check 06/16/2014 01:54 PM CDT
Well, right off the bat, I have boosted my Necro lore towards .3x. I will have to wait until I level up to start handling other issues.

I should look for a MOC enhansive. Lately, I've had good luck with such items.

Magarven the Mad
Re: 59th level sorcerer - reality check 06/16/2014 10:34 PM CDT
More silly questions.

How normal is it to hunt with 140 up? I've been using like a mana timer, I'll cast it then kill one or two creatures. When it falls I return to the nearest safe point and wait for 38 mana (one pulse) and recast it. Obviously, I can keep this up all day by using Symbol of Mana every few minutes. I try to stay fried for hours. Some days I will switch it up and cast 418+106 at a random place, run off with 140 up and kill one thing and try to get back to my foggy node before it falls. Lather, rinse, repeat all night long. Sometimes, it even works. I am not even sure if 106 works like this, but I'd like to believe I have a minute or so before the effect fades due to my absence.

Silly question II. Heralds have 115, I try to get them as they gen so I don't have to fight through it. I've been tempted to throw a dispel at them, but usually just plink away with Mana Disruption until I see the annoying aura and then fire a couple of pain or 719. Does the golden aura have a chance to negate any warding spell? If yes, is blood burst a valid way to take that away from them? Being undead they shouldn't be hurt by it, but it could successfully ward them.

Third question. I have never cast Animate. Is it possible to animate a kobold or some other lesser being with little or no training at 60th level? I might give it a try to check it off the bucket list.

Question D. I never use my demon because I have no patience to learn illusions. What happens if you Shift? Does the demon follow you the long way or travel with you?

Magarven the Mad
Re: 59th level sorcerer - reality check 06/16/2014 10:57 PM CDT

>Third question. I have never cast Animate. Is it possible to animate a kobold or some other lesser being with little or no training at 60th level? I might give it a try to check it off the bucket list.

yes, you still need crystals though

>Question D. I never use my demon because I have no patience to learn illusions. What happens if you Shift? Does the demon follow you the long way or travel with you?

I don't know what you mean by the long way, it follows you and takes a normal amount of time.
Re: 59th level sorcerer - reality check 06/17/2014 12:18 AM CDT
>Silly question II. Heralds have 115, I try to get them as they gen so I don't have to fight through it. I've been tempted to throw a dispel at them, but usually just plink away with Mana Disruption until I see the annoying aura and then fire a couple of pain or 719. Does the golden aura have a chance to negate any warding spell? If yes, is blood burst a valid way to take that away from them? Being undead they shouldn't be hurt by it, but it could successfully ward them.

Firstly, Blood Burst is a valid way to take it away from them, despite that it does nothing. At least, it was triggering for Blood Burst, but my CS is too high to ever have the warding fail so its activation doesn't do anything, but I presume if it was warded off, the golden nimbus would fall.

Went ahead and checked this in more detail (maybe you saw me in there, hehe). As far as the official documentation, it starts at 50% for spiritual, 25% for semi-spiritual (sorcery), and 12.5% for any other spell. Lore can increase this, supposedly to a maximum of 69% for spritual (and half, and half again for semi and non).

It turns out heralds are cheating bastards, and they get an 80% activation against sorcery (used Blood Burst and 113 attempts), and apparently a 100% activation against spiritual (I used Airwall and got sick after twenty or thirty tries and the nimbus activating every time I warded them)!

I decided to entertain myself. If they can activate 80% against semi-spiritual, it means in principle they activate 160% against spiritual, since this is halved. Now this is a seed 1 summation, with a base of 50%, 1% per seed. So that's 110 bonus required to get 160% spiritual which is the same as 80% semi activation. Seed 1 summation is just the zeroth order triangular number (try it out if you don't believe me). Do you know what the 110th zeroth order triangular number is? 6105! (You can play with this http://www.mathgoodies.com/calculators/triangular-numbers.html)

So heralds effectively have something over six thousand spiritual blessing ranks, as far as their Fasthr's Reward activation (and I think since I did more than 100 trials with Blood Burst, the 80% activation I observed is statistically significant).

You can trust me that I'll be cross-posting this clip to the River's Rest folder as a serious bug. Thanks for asking this question, though, quite an exercise!

The final answer you want is that Blood Burst, or Corrupt Essence owing to the TD pushdown, is a very clever tactic to drop the golden nimbus from heralds. And given how high the activation is for sorcery, I guess you better do that!!

>How normal is it to hunt with 140 up?

And now for the more mundane question. Personally, I hunt with it up a lot, depending on where I'm hunting. Lately Kaldonis is hunting the top deck of the krolvin ship across the drawbridge in RR, which is supposed to be something around a capped hunting ground (maybe a little lower). I toss up WoF and go imploding, and sometimes need to refresh it once before I'm fried. If you see any risk of getting hit, and you can afford the mana, by all means WoF is the best defensive spell in the game, and you should use it! I prefer it more as a general utility for foraging, heirloom searching, open handed climbing checks, etc. A good scroll collection should keep you from needing WoF to be up all the time. But if you're doing warcamps, invasions, or plain tough areas, it's a very good trick.

That being said, for most hunting grounds you shouldn't need to hunt with WoF up in the 60s and 70s. However, many sorcerers prefer to throw their spell ranks at 700s rather than learning all the spells. I am not one of those sorcerers, and I learned 140 at around level 44 I believe. It's fantastic if you, say, hunt with a warrior partner who can send you mana. Spirit Strike and Wall of Force for all, you'll finish the hunt in a couple minutes.

Re: 59th level sorcerer - reality check 06/18/2014 08:42 AM CDT
I hunt with 140 up constantly if I'm doing bandits or warcamps.

Demons work like wizard familiars basicaly. So if you use any spells like 740 130 symbol of return ect. They will show up a few seconds later, even if you 740 from ice mule to rivers rest.(this is the same for animates too)
Re: 59th level sorcerer - reality check 06/18/2014 09:56 AM CDT

>(this is the same for animates too)

critter animates, not players. I hear there were too many intentional zombies looking for free transport back in the day.
Re: 59th level sorcerer - reality check 06/18/2014 01:00 PM CDT
>critter animates, not players. I hear there were too many intentional zombies looking for free transport back in the day.

Always wanted to test that! Too bad. Between the chalk cost and making animation crystals, if someone wants to off themselves (or is dead looking for a raise), I think they should come, too! Sad face.