shield type and hinderance? 01/21/2014 05:28 AM CST
Hello,

returning after a 7-8 year break. question is do shields give a hindrance based on size? I seem to remember something about that from way back when; and is there a way to train off any hindrance it would give?
Re: shield type and hinderance? 01/21/2014 06:58 AM CST

shields do not give spell hindrance. However, since it has been so long, you might want to consider a runestaff instead. http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Runestaff
Re: shield type and hinderance? 01/21/2014 07:16 AM CST

yeah, I'm considering runestaffs; but it'll have to wait until the next fixskill release. (used mine to hastily)is there any reason for a sorc not to use a bigger shield then?
Re: shield type and hinderance? 01/21/2014 09:22 AM CST

nevermind, found the answer; manuvers; small shields ftw.
Re: shield type and hinderance? 01/21/2014 10:56 AM CST
>nevermind, found the answer; manuvers; small shields ftw.

I'm not sure if small shields confer better maneuver defense than the larger sizes. They do have a smaller evade penalty, sure. And while I would be unsurprised if a tower shield gave a CMAN penalty against certain maneuvers, I would in turn be rather surprised if they had altered the way boil earth or a roa'ter maneuver behaved when they released shield sizes. When it comes to CMANs, you could probably argue that a penalty doesn't matter since a like level critter is going to nail you with their CMAN anyway. It could be that the best shield to use for a pure is, paradoxically, a tower shield. I hope this isn't the case, but I currently have no information to make me think otherwise.

Player of Kilshaar
Re: shield type and hinderance? 01/21/2014 01:36 PM CST
Unless you have trained in CMan cunning defense skill, your defense vs maneuvers is going to suck in any case. And since few sorcerers train in dodge, the bigger the shield the better as far as physical DS goes. For pseudo maneuvers like roa'ter attacks? Not sure what is best.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: shield type and hinderance? 01/30/2014 12:27 AM CST

So how do sorcerer's deal with cman attacks? Just accept death? I'm just running into cman attacks for the first time. Urchins are sending spines through my neck at an alarming rate.
Re: shield type and hinderance? 01/30/2014 07:56 AM CST

train in PT, get infused scrolls with mobility, blurs and the like. At low level AVOID THOSE CRITTERS.
Re: shield type and hinderance? 01/30/2014 08:48 AM CST
I assume those spines do piercing damage. Find a warrior who can add piercing resistance to your armor. I do that when I hunt in Nelemar. The Tritons have a devastating charge maneuver.

As mentioned Physical Fitness does help.

Use verb PEER and peer into the next room. This will give you a heads up if you are walking into a swarm and what creature or creatures are in there.

I haven't hunted Urchins for years however. Looking at http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Spiked_cavern_urchin :

Urchins have a maneuver attack where they throw their spines at their opponents. This attack can be blocked by a shield.

This attack removes air wall before doing damage:

A spiked cavern urchin launches a barrage of spines, the barbs exploding outward at you!
The spines are deflected by the wall of air surrounding you.
The air calms down around you.

Sooo! Keep 102 up and running.

Peace
Zhelas

(Lord Paladin walks around Droit examining his equipment.)
Lord Paladin: How does he....How does he work?
Re: shield type and hinderance? 01/30/2014 05:15 PM CST

At this level, everyone should be 1x in PT as they're not up to level 24. Stay unencumbered, and I don't expect much of an issue.

I have an under 30 days wizard swinging down there with about .5x in cman and haven't had issues with them... out of about 10 hunts. The krynches were more annoying with back to back to on my back tackles, even hasted.

Morden, player of.