General targets with regards to spell training and some other things too. 12/31/2013 01:55 PM CST
So, I'm currently 77. I have my Sorcerer ranks at 99 with no definitive goal in mind. Minor Elemental is sitting at 36 on its way up to something. Minor Spiritual is at 40 with no goal. As I get extra points to toss in these, what are the general limits on returns etc? I believe that 430 and 425 provide benefits for over training. Clearly Sorcerer ranks help.

Seems that the returns stop for Minor Elemental training at about 75 ranks? That maxes out the bonus for 425?

Reading through Minor Spiritual, 102 has no cap and 120 has no cap on the over train bonus. So, do people try and get this high? Seems like a lot of TP to get a bit of defense.

So, I'm looking for general advice on where people seem to settle in training these.

Additionally, I'm looking to get some CM so that I might train in Disarm. The idea being that it would help defend against getting disarmed. How many ranks am I looking at to have an impact on my disarm defense?

Also, about Necromancy and Demonology, I'm finding that I'm not using animate dead. I do hunt with pain as my primary offensive spell. At cap to get the max bonus I should have 100 ranks. That means I'd have 100 ranks of Demonology as well making me a dabbler in both. I don't have any RP ideas for these anymore. I was really excited about necromancy back in 2007 or maybe 8 whenever Animate Dead came out as it seemed more tribal/shaman-ish. But I've taken a break for a few years. Seems nothing has happened with Animate Dead since I've been away and the though of collecting all the stuff to animate seems exhausting now. And having a demon around is challenging with the judicial system and hunting with an animate seems...laborious with dubious results. Any thoughts on these two?

I regularly rift about, phase satchels. My Demonology is at 66 as I have just started increasing it again. Was sitting at 64 I think to get the extra pound for Phase. But I'm not sure why I'm increasing it. Allereli was wonderful in game helping to explain Balefire and it's effects with demons. But I'm not at all set up to use bolt spells and my bolt as is in the toilet. I suppose that could change

Guess I'm looking for some help with a direction I could go and maybe some RPness for it as well. I'm a giantwoman and am unsure if there is any history with sorcery that might sway my character one way or another. As I stated above, Necromancy seemed more tribal to me somehow. But Demons could be interpreted in so many ways as well, (spirits of the tribe or what have you). Been looking to get some direction with Kisanthra since coming back a couple months ago. Any help would be wonderful.

Okay, sorry if that wasn't well thought out. It's not very clear in my head either. Thanks for any input.
Kisanthra's player.
Re: General targets with regards to spell training and some other things too. 12/31/2013 03:01 PM CST
[table]
Reading through Minor Spiritual, 102 has no cap and 120 has no cap on the over train bonus. So, do people try and get this high? Seems like a lot of TP to get a bit of defense.
DS is not really an issue for sorcs, other than when you are disarmed, stunned, prone, in RT, and then an extra 2-3 DS is not really going to help you...
Right now, what is your main hunting technique? Two options, really (well, three, but the third is very niche)
1: CS spells. If this is the case, you need to get your 400s to 75, for max CS bonus. Your sorc base (700s) are comfortably above your level right now, so no real need to increase them for a bit, although 100 would make a nice round number, and at cap, you would like to have level +21, or 121. So, for right now, focus on increasing your CS via the 400s. Incidentally, this will also give you more AS and DS, although not as much DS as the 100s would.
2: Bolt spells. Sort of niche for sorcs, but workable, with 111 (fire spirit), 713 (balefire), and 118 (web bolt, but you need 20 ranks of summoning lore for this). And wizard wands. If you go this route, you need to get your spell aiming fully 2xed, then work on your 400s, which will also increase your CS. Also, spell aiming will help with aimed limb disruption, and focus implosion (720). 52 ranks of demonology is enough to get max cloak chance (712), decent weight reduction via 704, and decent DF bonus with balefire. 66 ranks is a bit much.
3: Weapon swinging sorc. Very niche, and not recommended. If you are interested in this, I can go into detail, but really, not worth it.
Side notes: Necromantic Lore has become more useful recently, as it increases the amount of necrotic energy you build up when you kill things so that you can ensorcell items. Highly recommend maxing out your runestaff to tier 5 ensorcell when you can, and then start selling ensorcell casts to others. Pretty high demand for this service right now, but you have to hunt to build up enough energy to do so.
Bottom line: get your 400s up to 75 ranks, and then start thinking about what else to do. Also, having high 400s will increase the effectiveness of 410/435, great crowd control spells.
-Taakhooshi, and Me
For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: General targets with regards to spell training and some other things too. 12/31/2013 03:29 PM CST
You get the maximum Sorcerer CS bonus from spell 425 at 73 minor elemental ranks. You get the maximum elemental CS and bolt AS bonus at 75 ranks.

A popular post-cap allocation of 303 spell ranks is 162 sorcerer, 74 (or 77 or 73) minor elemental, and 67 (or 64 or 68) minor spiritual.

A common, but by no means universal, allocation of demon and necromancy ranks is 117 (for phasing) and 80, respectively. Put the other five wherever you want. If you go with 80 ranks of necromancy, consider getting at least 10 ranks of necromancy enhancives to give you a second flare from an ensorcelled runestaff. Eleven enhancive ranks (91 total) will provide a very modest boost to your collection of necrotic energy for ensorcelling.

I think you will need at least three ranks of disarm weapon before you will notice a significant difference. That requires 24 ranks of CM. With 100 CM ranks, you can get five ranks of both disarm weapon and cunning defense, which seems to me to be about the best possible combination for the average Sorcerer. If being disarmed is your main concern, then start with disarm weapon. We're talking post-cap. Way post-cap. But it never hurts to plan ahead!
Re: General targets with regards to spell training and some other things too. 12/31/2013 07:44 PM CST
>A common, but by no means universal, allocation of demon and necromancy ranks is 117 (for phasing) and 80, respectively. Put the other five wherever you want. If you go with 80 ranks of necromancy, consider getting at least 10 ranks of necromancy enhancives to give you a second flare from an ensorcelled runestaff. Eleven enhancive ranks (91 total) will provide a very modest boost to your collection of necrotic energy for ensorcelling.

In my opinion...102 Demon 100 Necro is a better split. The extra 15 ranks referenced by will allow you to phase another 2lbs, but boxes bigger than 34 pounds aren't common enough IMO that you'll find more than a disk will carry in a hunt, it also gives you 2 more mana and maybe a few hundred coins additional capacity for demons...but it's an additional 4 MAL, and much more noticeable boost in necrotic energy collection without the expense and upkeep of enhancives. Every rank also counts for pain...though the exact degree isn't known to the best of my knowledge. My suggested split does leave you with a 2% failure rate on interplanar 740...so if you pop around the map a lot it may affect your decisions.

You are correct that not much has changed with animate dead. It's more of an entertaining excursion than a hunting staple, but with 735, those necro ranks have value if you are a casual player.

Just my 2 cents on the matter, and I agree it's a post cap goal...can't remember if I did this or 3x spells first...pre cap I'd suggest something along the lines of 50 ranks of Demonology...and whatever else you can afford in necro. Another (pre-cap) rule of thumb tends to be level +20 in sorc circle...then focus on the others...you can play with the math and the trade offs between CS and DS and utility a bit...depends where and how you hunt and what's next as much as any simple math.

As for the RP...others are far better suited than I to comment here...but a general thought or two...There's a pretty clear IG line between spirits and demons...especially since the spirit servant spell exists. It'd be hard to RP them as anything other than what they are...creatures from another plane of existence and not the "Better place" "departed friend" kind of plane. As for Necromancy, you'll want to keep the line pretty hard that 730 is effectively making meat puppets...not creating undead. Fairly certain that Giants were involved in the undead wars in the elven lands.

Beyond that, I'll leave it to some of the more knowledgeable folks on history. I've always been more of a weapons and tactics guy.

--Jurp
Re: General targets with regards to spell training and some other things too. 01/01/2014 08:41 AM CST
As far as CS goes, maxing it you go +21 sorcerer spells, then 2/3 in MnE, then up to +59 sorcerer spells. I am not sure what I am going to do with lores just yet, my sorcerer has 55 ranks of necromancy because I was helping get numbers for weekly energy gains. I am in rush though so I am just waiting until the may fixskills.