Rogue Stat/Skill Advice. 11/22/2017 07:42 AM CST

Hello all,

Just asking for some more experienced players to take a look at my build at Lvl 28. I'm built for cap stat placement, I believe. Also, I'm currently hunting lich's in the Monastery with ease. Plan to do that till 30, any advice on where to hunt when I reach 30? If it helps, I'm a master of Voln and a sweep master in the guild. Again, looking for stat/skill input and hunting advice at lvl 30. Thanks in advance!

Name: Salvadar Corthala Race: Half-Elf Profession: Rogue (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 74 (12) ... 74 (12)
Constitution (CON): 79 (14) ... 79 (14)
Dexterity (DEX): 74 (17) ... 74 (17)
Agility (AGI): 76 (23) ... 76 (23)
Discipline (DIS): 91 (15) ... 91 (15)
Aura (AUR): 90 (20) ... 90 (20)
Logic (LOG): 74 (12) ... 74 (12)
Intuition (INT): 64 (7) ... 64 (7)
Wisdom (WIS): 93 (21) ... 93 (21)
Influence (INF): 49 (5) ... 49 (5)

Salvadar (at level 28), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 120 30
Shield Use.........................| 120 30
Combat Maneuvers...................| 122 31
Edged Weapons......................| 160 60
Ambush.............................| 160 60
Physical Fitness...................| 126 33
Dodging............................| 160 60
Arcane Symbols.....................| 90 20
Harness Power......................| 25 5
Survival...........................| 78 17
Disarming Traps....................| 160 60
Picking Locks......................| 160 60
Stalking and Hiding................| 160 60
Perception.........................| 160 60
Climbing...........................| 90 20
Swimming...........................| 90 20

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 4
Re: Rogue Stat/Skill Advice. 11/22/2017 09:31 AM CST
Your build looks pretty solid to me and very similar to my TWC rogue (except you are sword / board vs. TWC). Minor points:

- You may want to pick up 10 ranks of MOC at some point to help with FoF when you are caught in the open.

- If you have the AS purely for disarming you can probably drop it back to 10-12 ranks (unless you are also using it for scrolls)

- Some people may suggest that you can slow down on the Perception training a bit but I train mine at a full 2x as well.

- Eventually you are going to want to start pushing your Stalking and Hiding training further. I found that around 50-55 I needed to push it up to 2.5x in order to have a good result against critters, you may be able to remain at 2x depending on what you hunt. I'm still at 2.5x at level 77 with the goal of pushing it to 3x at or near cap.

- At 77 with 2x disarm / pick locks (with lock mastery which provides wedges when needed) I can still open nearly every box we find (also using 403/404). My understanding is that at some point this won't be sufficient (but I'm not there yet).

-- Robert

Due to the volatile atmosphere, random bolts of lightning can intermittently be seen streaking through the skyline.
Re: Rogue Stat/Skill Advice. 11/22/2017 06:49 PM CST
<- Eventually you are going to want to start pushing your Stalking and Hiding training further. I found that around 50-55 I needed to push it up to 2.5x in order to have a good result against critters, you may be able to remain at 2x depending on what you hunt. I'm still at 2.5x at level 77 with the goal of pushing it to 3x at or near cap.>

I would say that a member of voln should 3x in S&H from the start. Undead are the hardest critters to hide from and you'll want all the help you can get in the beginning. Once you get a bit above 200ish ranks in it you can dial it down to get other skills if you need to, but my 3x rogue was still being sniffed out occasionally by undead until well into his 30's. Even at close to 80, there are a few undead that will still sniff him out once every few hunts.

<Plan to do that till 30, any advice on where to hunt when I reach 30?>

River's Rest. Excellent boxes, squishy critters. Might have to put undead hunting on hold until level 33-34 unless you're insane enough to enjoy hunting spectral warfarers, but no one will ever convince me any other hunting areas can match what's available in RR from levels 30-60ish. More info here: https://gswiki.play.net/Starchitin%27s_Guide_to_Hunting_the_Rest

<Again, looking for stat/skill input and hunting advice at lvl 30.>

I'm no help with stats, and the only thing I have to add about skills is that you can safely drop ranks in Climbing/swimming until level 70ish and spend those points elsewhere. If you take my advise to go to RR, you can drop them down to 15 ranks each. Just about anywhere else, you prolly don't need more then 10 ranks in each for a good long while.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Rogue Stat/Skill Advice. 11/22/2017 06:52 PM CST
<spectral warfarers>

I'd give my soul for an edit button.... ment spectral warriors

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Rogue Stat/Skill Advice. 11/22/2017 07:03 PM CST
>> <spectral warfarers> I'd give my soul for an edit button.... meant spectral warriors

I read that and I was like... THOSE SOUND LIKE FUN! :-)

-- Robert

Due to the volatile atmosphere, random bolts of lightning can intermittently be seen streaking through the skyline.
Re: Rogue Stat/Skill Advice. 11/22/2017 07:24 PM CST
Heh, depends on your brand of insanity.... spectral warriors are undead that disarm, can phase out right as you attack or cast (giving you the RT/costing mana, but leaving you to hit nothing but air), wear brig, chain, or plate, sometimes swing claids.... if spectral warfarers were a thing, they'd have all that AND be able to cast Major E-wave....

Sounds like a perfect invasion critter for EN...

Starchitin

Re: Rogue Stat/Skill Advice. 11/23/2017 07:51 AM CST

Appreciate the input, I had that much AS for The Broken Lands,but that area is to risky,so I'll drop that down and buff my hiding.
Re: Rogue Stat/Skill Advice. 11/23/2017 07:55 AM CST

River Rest it is, I could take a long break from undead as I got a pile of favor stored up. 3x hiding I think is great advice, I'm done with armor training for a bit as I personally am not going above brig.
Re: Rogue Stat/Skill Advice. 11/23/2017 08:12 AM CST
<River Rest it is, I could take a long break from undead as I got a pile of favor stored up.>

If you end up enjoying RR as much as I do, you might want to keep your eyes open for a good fire flaring weapon to buy by the time you're in your late 30's. Every hunting area above level 35 except the Krolvin Carrack has trolls and/or undead, so fire flares def come in handy.

Starchitin

Re: Rogue Stat/Skill Advice. 11/23/2017 08:27 AM CST
Sounds good, I'll head that way at 30. What should I start with?
Re: Rogue Stat/Skill Advice. 11/23/2017 08:46 AM CST
I'd start with hisskra, but use a weapon you won't miss if you lose it with them (their hide can make melee weapons bounce out of your hand when attacking). After that witches are easy to kill as long as you watch out for the hounds/eagles with them, though krolvin on the carrack are good too if you want a bit more of a challenge.

Of course, you could just go where the Adventurer's Guild sends you too.... but regardless, make sure you let folk you see resting in the Commons know where you'll be hunting and peek at my guide before going into a new area ( https://gswiki.play.net/Starchitin%27s_Guide_to_Hunting_the_Rest ). Most of the hunting areas in RR have quarks that you'll want to be prepared for before entering them (the shifting layout of the jungle, sloped floors of the carrack, etc).

Starchitin

PS setting a gold ring to town is always a good idea no matter where you hunt in RR

PPS Do NOT pick boxes in the Sanctuary, the town commons is the place for locksmiths to work

Re: Rogue Stat/Skill Advice. 11/23/2017 09:23 AM CST
>> , I'm done with armor training for a bit as I personally am not going above brig.

That's what I decided for my rogue as well. So far it's working out well in 7x somewhat Padded brig.

-- Robert