Archer rogue Cmans 07/29/2017 09:00 PM CDT
Any thoughts on the best cmans for an archer rogue? At the moment I have five ranks of shadow mastery, two of combat mobility, and two of vanish.

The character is also a guildmaster, so all of the cmans that would be guild skills are covered.

Thanks,

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Archer rogue Cmans 07/29/2017 10:20 PM CDT
<Any thoughts on the best cmans for an archer rogue? At the moment I have five ranks of shadow mastery, two of combat mobility, and two of vanish>

I'm writing this assuming you're a sniper since you're a rogue.

If you're timing your shots well, keeping up with crowd control, and are in the shadows when critters take their actions, I'd consider mobility to be a very low priority unless you group hunt critters that cast 410, 709, etc. At level 77, I can't even recall the last time my rogue was laying down when a critter took a swing at him... though it was prolly before CMAN VANISH was released.

I definitely think Shadow Mastery and Vanish are must haves. Divert is def useful for getting rid of annoying critters that wander in or to make the one you want to shoot change rooms. If you're a smaller race, a few ranks of Surge of Strength is good for getting past swim/climb checks when loaded down with boxes. Beyond those ones, maybe some combat focus for the rare time you're in the open and something casts at you, but otherwise just get whatever suits your fancy for RP purposes.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Archer rogue Cmans 07/29/2017 11:51 PM CDT
Thanks, Star. Yes, he is a sniper, and human, though surge is still probably not a bad idea.

I have not, as yet, used vanish much. Maybe I will go ahead and train that up and play with it a bit more.

Thanks.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Archer rogue Cmans 07/30/2017 07:22 PM CDT
Maxing vanish is a must, maybe the best cman that exists. After that you are really tinkering around the edges. Surge is nice, particularly a lot of bang for the buck with the first rank. Toughness because why not. Dirt kick / dust shroud are thematically relevant. Truehand and wspec don't hurt.
Re: Archer rogue Cmans 07/30/2017 08:14 PM CDT
<Truehand and wspec don't hurt.>

I've never used truehand, but it's description on the wiki says it isn't for use from hiding and implies it only works with melee weapons (though I COULD be reading too much into it).

Wspec is useless for archers since bows/crossbows cannot be specialized in and it only works with arrows if you're swinging them as a melee weapon... unless something has changed in the last couple years that I missed.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Archer rogue Cmans 07/31/2017 04:40 AM CDT
I don't have the stamina to use surge much, so I untrained it after I learnt vanish, all my stamina goes on shadow mastery and vanish. (melee though, so likely using vanish a lot more than a sniper would, sometimes I don't even have the stamina for keeping shadow mastery up continuously)
Re: Archer rogue Cmans 07/31/2017 12:55 PM CDT
<I don't have the stamina to use surge much, so I untrained it after I learnt vanish, all my stamina goes on shadow mastery and vanish. (melee though>

Surge lowers an archer's RT rather then raising their AS, like it does for melee. Snipers also don't have to worry as much about encumbrance as melee.... so it's going to have a different set of criteria for whether someone considers it useful during a hunt.

While it's always useful to reduce one's RT, the main reason I included Surge in my post is that there just aren't many CMANs that are useful for a sniper. Most offensive ones either don't effect ranged or are unnecessary (why RT lock something that can't find you anyway or knock them down when you can you can go straight for the eyes no matter how big they are) and most of the passive ones are really only useful 1% of the time or less. SM is more useful in most hunting grounds (even if only for the reduction to sneak RT), but Surge is good to use when it's in cooldown and has utility use outside combat, unlike most other CMANs.

Starchitin