Can anyone tell me what to do? 11/21/2016 03:06 PM CST
Hello,

So here is the scenario. I would love to make a rogue, but I can never make a decision. If someone tells me what to do I will end up playing it till the end.

UAC or OHE either works I bet. I would like to pick boxes in time. Just tell me what to train in and where to put my points.

Thank you.
Re: Can anyone tell me what to do? 11/23/2016 09:27 AM CST
https://gswiki.play.net/A_beginner%27s_guide_to_playing_a_rogue
Re: Can anyone tell me what to do? 11/23/2016 11:08 AM CST
The basic rogue page is better https://gswiki.play.net/Rogue

The new player guide has a lot of arcane stuff as well as outright myths in it, and a lot of key stuff is missing. I'd recommend steering clear of it.

OHE rogue core
2x OHE (6/3)
2x dodge (6/3)
2x ambush (6/3)
2x stalk and hide (3/3)
1.5x CM (8/8)
1x armor (5/0)
1x PT (3/0)
1x perception (0/1)
1.5x shield (8/0)

Total 45/21 which will be almost if not all your PTP but leave a fair amount of MTP available

These spare points can be used for tertiary skills, spells, or boosting core skills. Shield can be swapped out for 2x TWC (add a bit more dodge too if you do this) Some core will have to be sacrificed if you want to be a good picker (3x) straight away but 2x just about fits.

Smith skills (own box rather than public picking)

2x picking (3/3)
2x disarm (3/3)
extra perception or magic (0/6) Priority is perception to 50 ranks, AS to 10 ranks, spells to 404 and 5 ranks harness for the mana to use them

Total 6/12 which will be pretty much the rest of your training points, so stay away from places that require climb or swim at low level.
Re: Can anyone tell me what to do? 11/23/2016 11:56 AM CST
Race and stats.

The most common choice is halfelf, and with a fairly all-rounderish style of rogue in mind, its probably the one to go for.

The growth settings for a halfelf rogue are https://gswiki.play.net/List_of_statistic_growth_rates#Half-Elf
A couple of my suggestions for actual settings are in the brackets where different from the growth values.

STR 59 (65/83)
CON 73
DEX 59 (59/70)
AGI 39 (61/70)
DIS 77
AUR 82
LOG 73
INT 62
WIS 88 (88/50)
INF 78 (20/20)

Total 690 (660/660)

30 have to be removed and at least one of CON, DIS, AUR, LOG, INF has to be dropped to 70 to get an allowed starting distribution. The normal choice is to tank INF to 20, which leaves 28 to be distributed among the other stats. STR and AGI are probably the place to put them. Points can also be taken from WIS if you intend to statfix at high level, but you may regret the low TD if you don't statfix. If you do drop WIS, DEX can also be boosted, and if picking was a high priority rather than something to get round to eventually, that would be a place to put points. Similarly if you were using TWC, extra points in DEX would be advisable.
Re: Can anyone tell me what to do? 12/01/2016 11:58 AM CST
Rogues are pretty flexible, and come in several flavors. For hunting, as others have mentioned, S&H is pretty mandatory. We aren't meant to wear heavy armor. Many stop at Brigandine, although I went up to Hauberk.

Note that although Hauberk and MBP have the same requirements to train off the hindrance, I much prefer Hauberk for one reason. There are a LOT of enhancive items that are armor add-ons, and you can't stick these on MBP without converting it to some higher armor class. I have a nice enhancive aventail, for example. It leaves my Hauberk unchanged, but would convert MBP to full plate.

You want to "pick boxes in time". I'm not sure what sort of boxes you want to pick, but 2x in disarm and pick plus self-cast lores should let you pick most boxes your own level.

Re: Can anyone tell me what to do? 12/01/2016 12:48 PM CST
UAC is fairly effective for hunting. Among the rogue guild combat skills, I find sweep to be the most useful. Almost nothing at higher levels can be subdued. Throat chop works well enough against spell casters, but it's usually simpler to just ambush their heads for a straight kill. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that my 5'10" 200 lb dark elf rogue could sweep Iloke Jarls and Elders, who are something like 30 feet tall and weigh in at half a ton or so. I guess they are REALLY top-heavy.

Stun maneuvers are useful if the worst happens, but it's best to not get stunned at all.

Among the Cmans I like is vanish. A serious life saver when you flub an ambush and are standing there in RT and offensive stance, and looking quite silly. Striking Asp is a very useful martial stance, reducing the window of vulnerability I mentioned above. Sort of a mini-haste effect. I also have divert, for reducing the number of foes in the room, and dirtkick, which can be used from defensive.

Here's my rogue at 91. Basically combat oriented, but can pick her own boxes. Note that with my current level of armor training, e-wave is rather unreliable when wearing Hauberk, with a 30% failure rate. I need 130 armor ranks to reduce hindrance to minimum, which won't happen until post-cap. However, if I am planning on using e-wave a lot, I have some nice brigandine (6X and HCP) which I can wear in place of the Hauberk.

The 1 rank of TWC gives a slight boost to DS when using UAC.

Guennwhfar (at level 91), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Two Weapon Combat..................| 5 1
Armor Use..........................| 200 100
Shield Use.........................| 206 106
Combat Maneuvers...................| 211 111
Brawling...........................| 286 186
Ambush.............................| 284 184
Physical Fitness...................| 269 169
Dodging............................| 281 181
Arcane Symbols.....................| 74 16
Magic Item Use.....................| 74 16
Harness Power......................| 58 12
Disarming Traps....................| 286 186
Picking Locks......................| 286 186
Stalking and Hiding................| 330 230
Perception.........................| 284 184
Climbing...........................| 145 45
Swimming...........................| 142 42

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 10

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 1
Training Points: 6 Phy 0 Mnt (6 Phy converted to Mnt)